HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to take physical play downlow along the boards being short?

Old
04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Ducksgo*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
How to take physical play downlow along the boards being short?

Wondering how I can keep my presence felt along down low as a winger being short?? I'm 5'4 140 and the defenseman in my league have atleast 30 lbs on me and over 6 ft.

Thanks

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Danglous

Keep a low center of gravity/use your leverage

Im a 6'1 215 defenseman and every now and then i am surprised when I cant move a smaller guy out of the crease. Other times I send them flying by accident. Its all about getting that deep knee bend and using your lower body strength.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
qmechanic

I'm also very short. Aren't there some tricks you can use along the boards? Like I've heard that you can stick one of your skates between the opponent's legs to pin them...

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM
ean

What level do you play? Looks like youre talking about battling in the corners in the offensive zone?

Body position is everything. No matter your size. Also keep your legs moving. And keep a little separation between you and the boards so that you dont get pinned. Our best player in college was only 2" taller than you and probably weighed the same and he was the best forward in all areas of the ice. His turning radius was so tight, I hope youre a good skater.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:33 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Being 6'4 I can tell you that short people are often a pain in the ass along the boards. What they usually do to me is just get inside position and they are almost always able to pull out the puck just because it's so far down for me I have trouble reaching it whenever someone shorter squeezes their way in between me in the puck.

I guess all that I'm trying to say is not to worry about actually battling, just try to squeeze in in front of whoever you're battling with, and you should be able to come out with the puck.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:51 AM
TieClark

Height has nothing to do with board play really... stay low, if you have possession stick your butt out to shield off opponents and if you're defending you can put your stick between their legs and lean on the other side so they literally can't move.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Create your space along the boards. Start out up close to absorb contact and know where the puck is. Stay low and continue to create separation using your upper body and your skates to dictate where you want the puck to go.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Thesensation19*

Watch superstars in hockey like St. Louis or Alfredsonn or Gionta. Watch players in soccer like Messi or such.

They are small but because they are small they have a lower center of gravity. So yes speed kills, but balance and puck control is crucial too.

Because your shorter, you can get underneath players and make life difficult for them. Get in there and use it tour strengths. And if you cant, then practice it/

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote