HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Canada Goaltender for the Olympics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
  #1
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,514
vCash: 500
Team Canada Goaltender for the Olympics

With Marc-André Fleury and Roberto Luongo having such bad playoffs performances for the past 2 years in a row, and Martin Brodeur out of the picture, do you guys think Carey Price could be the #1 goaltender for team Canada at Sochi?

Carey Price
Cam Ward
Marc-André Fleury

Damn the USA: Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas!

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
  #2
Jerky
Registered User
 
Jerky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

Damn the USA: Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas!
Corey Schneider and Jimmy Howard too!


If we're going by recent success, I think Brian Elliot and Mike Smith have a better chance than Ward or Fleury, but since they don't have the same pedigree (AKA, being a 1st round pick) they'll be snubbed

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
  #3
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,628
vCash: 500
I remember the Team Canada 2014 thread last summer on one of the main boards, seeing a Leaf fan putting Reimer on the team and leaving Price off.

As of now I think it'd be:

Price
Ward
Fleury

If Smith can keep his play up the next couple years I can see him taking Fleury's spot.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
  #4
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 500
When it comes to Olympics, I prefer Stanley Cup & rest for Price, so I don't really care if he's on the team. I'm a Habs fans first, and things like winning Vezina's & Olympic Gold Medals hurt my team in a cap world because it means my goalie is going to want more money.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
  #5
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,936
vCash: 500
Price is definitely going to be one of the three Canadian goaltenders in Sochi if NHLers are permitted to play.

Too early to tell if he is going to be the starter. Shame that he missed this years World Championships, a strong performance there would have helped his case a lot.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
  #6
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
When it comes to Olympics, I prefer Stanley Cup & rest for Price, so I don't really care if he's on the team. I'm a Habs fans first, and things like winning Vezina's & Olympic Gold Medals hurt my team in a cap world because it means my goalie is going to want more money.


Things like winning Vezina's and Olympic Gold Medals help the team because it means we have an elite goaltender. Price is gonna get his payday this summer and we won't have to worry about a raise for a while after that imo. If you're truly a Habs fan, you're a Price fan as well and you should want him to do good wherever he plays during his tenure as a Hab.

Do you mean you'd rather have him be decent at best so we don't have to overpay him? Because if you think him winning the Vezina would hurt the team, well...

The cap is one thing, but come on. That's like Jacques Demers saying he'd rather have more quebecers in the lineup rather than win a cup with the current team. It's putting priorities in the wrong places.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
  #7
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
When it comes to Olympics, I prefer Stanley Cup & rest for Price, so I don't really care if he's on the team. I'm a Habs fans first, and things like winning Vezina's & Olympic Gold Medals hurt my team in a cap world because it means my goalie is going to want more money.
Same here, I hope he sucks so he can stay on our team for cheap.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  #8
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
Going to be tough call I think if Bernier can get out from under the shadow of Quick in LA he could become a viable option if he performs like many figure he will and has shown in his short stints he can. Honestly I hop the NHL doesn't send players to the Olympics as the games are starting to get away from the true meaning of an ameture athletics competition but that is just my opinion.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
  #9
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post


Things like winning Vezina's and Olympic Gold Medals help the team because it means we have an elite goaltender. Price is gonna get his payday this summer and we won't have to worry about a raise for a while after that imo. If you're truly a Habs fan, you're a Price fan as well and you should want him to do good wherever he plays during his tenure as a Hab.

Do you mean you'd rather have him be decent at best so we don't have to overpay him? Because if you think him winning the Vezina would hurt the team, well...

The cap is one thing, but come on. That's like Jacques Demers saying he'd rather have more quebecers in the lineup rather than win a cup with the current team. It's putting priorities in the wrong places.
No I'm content with him having outstanding years like he did last year and having some other goalie like Thomas having an insane year and winning the Vezina.

Why would you assume I want him to play bad? Its about cap management. Our GM's have not thought about these little things and most posters don't either.

When it comes to the Olympics, I don't think its going to matter if its Price, Luongo, Ward or whoever in net. They are all comparable enough that I can cheer for the logo in the front, not the name on the back.

Same thing with my attitude for individual awards, I don't care if our players win them, I just want a Cup, that is the only award that matters.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:08 PM
  #10
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,886
vCash: 500
Price
Ward
Fleury

Smith and Elliott will have chances if they keep up their good play or if someone like Ken Hitchcock is one of the coaches I'm sure he'll put Elliott on the team.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
  #11
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
No I'm content with him having outstanding years like he did last year and having some other goalie like Thomas having an insane year and winning the Vezina.

Why would you assume I want him to play bad? Its about cap management. Our GM's have not thought about these little things and most posters don't either.

When it comes to the Olympics, I don't think its going to matter if its Price, Luongo, Ward or whoever in net. They are all comparable enough that I can cheer for the logo in the front, not the name on the back.
Same thing with my attitude for individual awards, I don't care if our players win them, I just want a Cup, that is the only award that matters.
This is the perfect statement and it is one I use with the HABS also I am all about the name on the front not the one on the back same with Team Canada doesn't matter if it is Mason Bernier Ward Marty B etc as long as they can stop the puck and we win games that is all I care about.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
  #12
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
No I'm content with him having outstanding years like he did last year and having some other goalie like Thomas having an insane year and winning the Vezina.

Why would you assume I want him to play bad? Its about cap management. Our GM's have not thought about these little things and most posters don't either.

When it comes to the Olympics, I don't think its going to matter if its Price, Luongo, Ward or whoever in net. They are all comparable enough that I can cheer for the logo in the front, not the name on the back.

Same thing with my attitude for individual awards, I don't care if our players win them, I just want a Cup, that is the only award that matters.
I get your point, however, don't play the "I'm more conscious about cap issues than most" card. I think we all know about the cap, and it's something we talk about every day on this site. As I said, Price will probably get his big raise this summer and we won't have to worry about the cap when it comes to Price after that. So why not wish him the absolute best?

You claim it's about cap management, yet you don't really seem that aware that all signs point to him being signed long-term this summer, and therefore your arguments being rendered pointless.

I want a cup as much as you do, but if our players can also shine individually in the meanwhile, it's a good thing. Cap issues will be addressed when they need to, but they shouldn't hamper your desire to see our players perform to the best of their abilities. That's backwards-thinking, however you may want to rationalize it with the cap.


Last edited by Turtleneck Plek: 04-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
  #13
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Corey Crawford?

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
  #14
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Corey Crawford?
Lol, I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Crawford is bad, he is barely a starter in the NHL. There'sno way he's gonna be with Canada Olympic squad.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
  #15
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Cam Ward
Carey Price
TBD

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
  #16
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,282
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Cam Ward
Carey Price
TBD
Pretty much at this point the only I would add is Luongo, he still won them gold and has another 1 1/2 to get back on track

Fleury, no thanks!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
  #17
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
carey is a lock. it'll be his time to shine on another big stage.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
  #18
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Yes, very hard to see Price not selected to the team.

If I had to select today, it would be Price, Ward, Smith. But its still a long way away and alot can change. Fleury is a streaky goalie and if he's having a good season, he will be back in team canada colours pretty quick.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:49 PM
  #19
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
I'd see the goalies being;

Price/Ward - a toss up for the starter job.
Luongo

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
  #20
phoque taupe
Registered User
 
phoque taupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
When it comes to Olympics, I prefer Stanley Cup & rest for Price, so I don't really care if he's on the team. I'm a Habs fans first, and things like winning Vezina's & Olympic Gold Medals hurt my team in a cap world because it means my goalie is going to want more money.
i really understand your concerns on the cap part, but building confidence is very important too, imo

phoque taupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
  #21
PKarey Plekoretty
Registered User
 
PKarey Plekoretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Price almost certainly has to be on the list, just a matter of where his role will be

If we are picking today, like most have said, to me it's Price/Ward... and bad play aside, I think Loungo still has to be on that list. He won the gold last time around, and IMO, simply due to the fact that there is no other clear cut #3 out there, it should be Lou's spot

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
  #22
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Canada is getting really weak in goals !

Even Price could be #1...

Mike Smith and Brian Elliott should be considered too.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
  #23
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
Luongo is going to get 1st bid since he won the last one. But he'll last 2 games and Price will take over

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:59 PM
  #24
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
The only things going for Fleury is that he was 1st overall and won the cup on a stacked team.

He's been extremely underwhelming his entire career.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
  #25
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Right now I'd say Fleury is ahead of Price given his experience and Cup. I think Price is better therefore ahead of Ward so I'd see him playing a few games and Babcock going with the hot hand.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.