HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 09:19 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Wideman is in the same boat, no? I mean, are we getting All-Star Wideman or are we getting "directly responsible for more goals allowed than goals scored" Wideman?
Let's face it, the fans voting for All-Stars shows what a joke it is to begin with, but when a guy like Dennis Wideman is selected to be one it's the icing on the cake at disclosing what a crock all-star selections are. Wideman got it strictly on looking at his offensive stats (goals etc.) and not his defensive work.

This is where we as Caps fans really inflated his value as we approached the TDL. To me if the Caps had made a deal with the Devils in lieu of their trade (for Zidlicky)with the Wild for the very same assets (no first rounder but getting our 2nd back) that would have been a steal for us.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:27 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Let's face it, the fans voting for All-Stars shows what a joke it is to begin with, but when a guy like Dennis Wideman is selected to be one it's the icing on the cake at disclosing what a crock all-star selections are. Wideman got it strictly on looking at his offensive stats (goals etc.) and not his defensive work.

This is where we as Caps fans really inflated his value as we approached the TDL. To me if the Caps had made a deal with the Devils in lieu of their trade (for Zidlicky)with the Wild for the very same assets (no first rounder but getting our 2nd back) that would have been a steal for us.
hindsight is 20/20 but I think the majority of us were all on board for perhaps letting go of Wideman but the reasoning we didn't is b/c we wanted to have depth on D going into the playoffs in order to make a long run. That and the uncertainty behind Green's health.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

My friend came up with the idea, I doubt it's possible.
Here's the idea: sign Mike Green to a 4 year contract with the salaries of 5M (his qualifying offer conditions met) + 2,5M * 3 yrs for grand total of 12,5M (3,125/year). Is it possible under the current CBA?

Old
04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Depends on how you feel about Green I guess. Is project 40 games played and maybe ten points. That's pretty brutal for $5.25.

Semin is a $7 million crapshoot. Will he score 50 points or 100? There's pretty much even odds on those two outcomes.
Well, Wideman's likely to get $5 million himself, and has made Green's post-season performance look Niedermayer-esque. Green at $5M > Wideman at $5M (and I think Green does better than you projected).

I also don't think Semin gets $7M. I guess we'll see though. Get him a center and a skilled winger opposite (Kuznetsov?), and he'll likely produce much more consistently. The complaints/concerns about the consistency of his effort are completely valid, however.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Wideman doesn't add depth on the blueline. He's a runt and a net negative. In the 20 games after the trade deadline he scored just 8 points (none on the pp despite leading all dmen in pp toi) and was a -5.

He has been putrid in the playoffs and been on the ice for nearly every Bruins goal.

This isn't a hindsight thing. Nearly everyone wanted him sold. Not just for the potential return, but because he makes the team worse when he plays.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
IF Hunter returns and we are dedicated to playing conservative trapping hockey then I say its a bigger chance we resign Wideman and say goodbye to Green. Certainly looks that way based on the trust level the coach has w each player.
Nightmare scenario, ugh. Wideman with 27 minutes a night. If GMGM is intent on bringing back Hunter, he HAS to let Wideman walk, to save Hunter from himself.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:36 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well, Wideman's likely to get $5 million himself, and has made Green's post-season performance look Niedermayer-esque. Green at $5M > Wideman at $5M (and I think Green does better than you projected).

I also don't think Semin gets $7M. I guess we'll see though. Get him a center and a skilled winger opposite (Kuznetsov?), and he'll likely produce much more consistently. The complaints/concerns about the consistency of his effort are completely valid, however.
I'd be shocked if Wideman gets anything north of 4. This series is exposing all of his warts.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Wideman doesn't add depth on the blueline. He's a runt and a net negative. In the 20 games after the trade deadline he scored just 8 points (none on the pp despite leading all dmen in pp toi) and was a -5.

He has been putrid in the playoffs and been on the ice for nearly every Bruins goal.

This isn't a hindsight thing. Nearly everyone wanted him sold. Not just for the potential return, but because he makes the team worse when he plays.
But the guy can stare and glare at his teammates like no other.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Nightmare scenario, ugh. Wideman with 27 minutes a night. If GMGM is intent on bringing back Hunter, he HAS to let Wideman walk, to save Hunter from himself.
Yeah you would think so wouldn't you? But GMGM and Hunter seem very tight and I doubt GMGM doesn't take his input when it comes time to making that choice.

So much uncertainty for next year...really depends on how this season ends and if Hunter will be returning..

Once those two questions are out of the way then the personnel decisions will be easier to predict.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Wideman gets anything north of 4. This series is exposing all of his warts.
Wisniewski got $5.5M, and he has just as many warts as Wideman, without anywhere near the history of production.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah you would think so wouldn't you? But GMGM and Hunter seem very tight and I doubt GMGM doesn't take his input when it comes time to making that choice.

So much uncertainty for next year...really depends on how this season ends and if Hunter will be returning..

Once those two questions are out of the way then the personnel decisions will be easier to predict.
I mean, there's nothing wrong with taking the coach's input on players. But as GM, if you're going to let the coach make the decisions for you, there's no reason for you to be employed.

Somebody in the organization HAS to see the stunning level of ineptitude Wideman has displayed in this series, right?

Old
04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Wideman will make $6 million or very near that.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Wideman will make $6 million or very near that.
Well as far as Eastern Conference teams go, the only two organizations that would be that dumb are Toronto and I guess Toronto (actually the Islanders).

Old
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Well as far as Eastern Conference teams go, the only two organizations that would be that dumb are Toronto and I guess Toronto (actually the Islanders).
You underestimate Sather.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Wisniewski got $5.5M, and he has just as many warts as Wideman, without anywhere near the history of production.
And Scott Howson is still employed. Amazing.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:53 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
You underestimate Sather.
Now that would be priceless to see Torts' expression after one of Wideman's FUBAR's.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
I mean, there's nothing wrong with taking the coach's input on players. But as GM, if you're going to let the coach make the decisions for you, there's no reason for you to be employed.

Somebody in the organization HAS to see the stunning level of ineptitude Wideman has displayed in this series, right?
I'm with ya there buddy!

But I would THINK someone would have to look at Wideman's play and be at best underwhelmed.

But it hasn't played out in its entirety just yet..who knows..maybe Wides scores the GWG on a sweet shot late in Game 7?

Old
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I've been touting him on here for probably 3 years now, but how nice would it be to have Mike Weaver on the third pairing at <$1M?

Ugh. A steady, reliable bottom pairing guy like that would have been HUGE for the Caps this series.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Montreal needs someone to replace Markov's production on the blueline. On that note, please refer to Andrei Markov's career trajectory to see what Mike Green may have in store for us.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Don't resign Wideman and trade Green.

There.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Green is still the best defenseman on the team in transition and the most creative puck mover. If you move him, you have to replace that. I don't know how you do. There's not exactly an abundance of quality puck movers on the market.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Green is still the best defenseman on the team in transition and the most creative puck mover. If you move him, you have to replace that. I don't know how you do. There's not exactly an abundance of quality puck movers on the market.
He can be replaced be Carlson and Orlov.

Trade him before his value hits 0. I'm sure he can still garner a valuable asset right now.
He's not the same Mike Green.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
He can be replaced be Carlson and Orlov.

Trade him before his value hits 0. I'm sure he can still garner a valuable asset right now.
He's not the same Mike Green.
He can't be replaced by Carlson and Orlov. You'd be content only having those two as puck movers on the defense?

Old
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
He can't be replaced by Carlson and Orlov. You'd be content only having those two as puck movers on the defense?
Yeah. If rather that than 4 puck movers... And maybe Hamrlik if you consider him one.

I'm someone who thinks there should only be 2-3 puck movers on D, along with 3-4 solid defensive defenseman.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Don't resign Wideman and trade Green.

There.
Nah..one DEFINITELY has to stay. Orlov is not ready to take on the role of either player at this point.

Closed Thread