HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Round 2 - WCSF - Kings vs. Blues Series - Kings Forum Discussion

Old
04-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I want revenge!!!

Uggggh. I was at that game

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Hardly any point in trying to predict anything anymore.

In October, someone tells you that Detroit, Vancouver, and San Jose would all lose in the 1st round in 5 games. Would anyone take what that person had to say seriously?

In October, if someone said that Ottawa and Florida could be 2 of the 4 teams in the 2nd round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, would that person not have been committed on the spot?

Go back two weeks. The Kings are coming off two disappointing losses to the Sharks. Couldn't hold a lead. Had a chance to take the division. Legitimate questions about the Kings in late season games. What feels like 2 months later, the Sharks are done, and the Kings just beat Vancouver 3 times in Vancouver to win a series in 5 games that most had going the Canucks way, probably in 5 or 6 games, and that was before the series when Sedin was still out.

Go back to the 2nd period last night. The Canucks are all over the Kings. The Sedin's have already scored once. The Kings catch a break with a save from their MVP, come out in the 3rd as a different team, a guy that everyone was ragging on earlier in the game ties it, with a rush from another guy that has taken $7 million worth of complaints(and completely justified complaints) most of the season, then one of the candidates for most disappointing player of the year wins the series in OT.

Now the Kings play another team that wasn't predicted to be where they're at, and certainly not in the way they got there.

No use in predicting anything. Can't live and die with every shift. Things can turn around in a shift. An intermission. In the span of a week or two. In a year of ups and downs, and twists and turns, the Kings are somehow in the 2nd round, a place where most were expecting them to be at minimum when the season started.

Not a science. It's hockey. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
johnjm22

It's amazing that we've come this far with the 2nd line not playing well, and the 3rd line being inconsistent at best (Lewis has been great though).

I'm encouraged by Dwight King's play. I thought he quietly had a very solid game yesterday. I also think Carter still isn't 100%. Hopefully he's fully recovered when game one against the Blues comes around, making the 2nd line dangerous again. Clifford could also replace Penner on the 3rd line.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fraser-Nolan

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

The only thing anyone can say is that teams just need to make the playoffs. Anything can happen when you get to the playoffs.

It's not too many seasons where the door is as wide open as it is this season. No Detroit, no Pittsburgh, no Vancouver, likely no Chicago....

Phoenix, LA, St. Louis and Nashville in the semi-finals? Holy smokes.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-23-2012 at 10:11 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I think the Kings are going to get a bit more fight out of the Blues than they got from the Canucks. It will be interesting to see how dogged the likes of Backes and Oshie are. They are real tone-setters even if they don't get on the scoreboard.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's amazing that we've come this far with the 2nd line not playing well, and the 3rd line being inconsistent at best (Lewis has been great though).
Getting Clifford back will be huge. That 4th line is basically our 3rd line in terms of effectiveness when Clifford is healthy.

I also think we've got to give props to Vancouver - they are a skilled, skilled team. It's not surprising at all the Kings had a tough time with them. They were #1 in the NHL after all.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
TheSlovenian

I EXPECT a low scoring series and Kings in 6, but you never know. May the best team win (and I hope it will be the Kings ). Go Kings!

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
CTKingsFan
June 11th 2012

Just though of this but in Quick's 3 games verse St. Louis this year he's just allowed 1 goal to them.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The Kings are going to have to do to the Blues what they did to the Canucks in this series. Our bigger forwards must punish the Blues' defensemen every opportunity they get. Guys like Huskins, Jackman, and Russell are the most vulnerable.

Expect Pietrangelo to play huge amount of minutes. The Kings need to wear that guy down. I don't see anyone on the Blues roster to match what Mitchell brings to the Kings and that might make the difference. That and Quick is a better goalie than Elliott.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
SLang

Aw crap. Think back to our last game vs. the Blues on March 22. 1-0 SO win. Epic defensive game for both sides. Some people called it boring but I am convinced those people lied and didn't watch that game at all if they were calling it boring.

Now, take that game, add in the fact that it's now a sudden-death OT situation, and multiply it by 5, 6, or 7 games.

It's going to be a war, and I am not sure I am going to survive.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 0
Blues fan here...just wanted to say good luck to you guys. I am looking forward to a great, hard CLEAN hitting series. I have no reason to dislike LA, except for the fact we are playing you this series. I think this is going to go all 7, and probably all be 1 goal games, and OT 3 or 4 times. As it was mentioned earlier, these teams are pretty much identical in their style. I think LA has better top line talent, but I am not familiar enough with the names on the 3rd or 4th line for you guys, but I am sure in about a week or so, I will be. Again, good luck, and may the best team win.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Perro

Does anyone have the scores from the games between the kings and blues this year?
I know we won the season series 2-1-1, but weren't there a couple 1-0 games between the two clubs?
Before the playoffs started I liked our odds vs St. Louis more than Vancouver. After watching them play San Jose I am now worried. Their vets are producing very well.
I'm still gitty over last night, eliminating Vancouver makes this season a success for me.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Aw crap. Think back to our last game vs. the Blues on March 22. 1-0 SO win. Epic defensive game for both sides. Some people called it boring but I am convinced those people lied and didn't watch that game at all if they were calling it boring.

Now, take that game, add in the fact that it's now a sudden-death OT situation, and multiply it by 5, 6, or 7 games.

It's going to be a war, and I am not sure I am going to survive.
Thta game was really entertaining. Both goalies made huge saves. Here is hoping Elliott goes back to Ottawa form.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
Just though of this but in Quick's 3 games verse St. Louis this year he's just allowed 1 goal to them.
Kings also won the regular season series against the Blues (2-1-1), and were one of the few teams to beat St. Louis in regulation at home. I believe at least one of the Kings victories was pre-Hitchcock though.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
The 29th Pick
The 30th Pick

Congratulations and great job on the Vancouver Cannots !
Keep up the solid play, from the East coast !

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Anyone else worried about the play of Carter? Overall, I think he had an awful series...last night was the worst.

What the hell was he doing on that first goal? Then, you see him out with Penner on the same line? Wow, is Penner supposed to motivate him? ha

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Kingurentai

Sorry but what's the latest on Clifford?

Is he really good to go? Because we shouldn't be taking any risks. Nolan is a sound replacement for him for the time being. Be great to have both of them, but not worth the risk IMHO.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogyekcoh View Post
Bring it on Blues!!!
This will be the Black and Blue series. Both teams will be very physical.
I think the Blues are the bigger team and they play heavy.
We will need Clifford in on our 4 line.
Who should be scratching since Richardson is playing so well?
Penner or Carter? Penner is slower than Carter but he does checks from time to time. Carter is way too soft for my taste. If it was up to me, Carter will be seating a few games just so he knows this is playoff and you need to finished all your checks.
Carter's been hitting way more than usual, he just needs to bloody well score. I'm hoping Halak is in net, last time Richie and Carter faced him was in the 2010 playoffs when Richie had "the shift". Halak needs to be reminded of how awesome that was.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

The score of everyone of these games will be 1-0, 2-1 or 3-1(with an EN).

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Anyone else worried about the play of Carter? Overall, I think he had an awful series...last night was the worst.

What the hell was he doing on that first goal? Then, you see him out with Penner on the same line? Wow, is Penner supposed to motivate him? ha
I agree he was very unnoticable. Was thinking in the 3rd they may switch him a stoll as the 2nd and 3rd lines need a change up.
Guess that's why I'm not an NHL coach, however I also was saying that Sutter should give our 4th line some PP time. Can't hurt right?

Old
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
DaAnimal

This is the only team that scares me the most. It would had drove me nuts if we won against the sharks and had to play against the blues in the 1st round. I was so thrilled we played against the canucks even though they were favored to win but I felt that our team was the only team in the west that stood a chance.

Any who, the blues are a very talented team. They have great goaltending and defense. They play a similar style so if we want to win, Quick needs to keep playing like he has been and our defense MUST be consistent.

I'm still waiting for JCarter to show up to the games

Kings in 6

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
CTKingsFan
June 11th 2012

If Clifford comes back I think he takes the 3rd LW spot. Bump Penner up to 2nd LW. He's been playing great! Even the NBC announcers were commenting on his hustle last night.

You obviously can't take Richardson out or break up the 4th line. So King would be the odd man out. He's looked really nervous out there and with the awesome series Clifford played last year in the playoffs you gotta get him back out there as soon as he's ready!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
People are piling on Carter but are forgetting he's coming back from an ankle sprain/foot injury. What's Kopitar's excuse? Dudes been a ghost except for his little dance with that rat Burrows.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
People are piling on Carter but are forgetting he's coming back from an ankle sprain/foot injury. What's Kopitar's excuse? Dudes been a ghost except for his little dance with that rat Burrows.
Kopitar? Did you even watch game 4? He had 4 points in the series. Cmon man.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:56 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
What? Kopitar has been rock solid. (Despite being sick)

Him and Brown have been our best forwards all series.