HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OHL Semi Final GM #2 - London (Tinordi) @ Kitchener 7 PM ET, Sportsnet

Old
04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
A 22 year old is going to be different than a 19/20 year old. 2 years of development, two years experience, two years of coaching, 2 offseasons of power skating, 2 years of work in the weight room.

Also this is Tinordis 2nd year in the OHL. You're talking about O'Byrne's 4th year of NCAA thats a huge experience difference.
Not really when you look at a CHL schedule compare it to an NCAA schedule and it is a very fair comparo. The CHL is the closest thing to an NHL sched these kids will see the NCAA isn't even close so in terms of games etc I say they are vary close in that regard. Not to mention the rigors fo a CHL schedule etc over an NCAA schedule.

Michigan played the most games at 45 in a season the NCAA season is a 34 game season the OHL season is 68 games without playoffs that is double the length so in the CHL players play the equivelent of 2 full NCAA season in one season alone.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
For all those bashing Dryden, Whitesnake is more less saying the same thing about Tinordi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For all the positives....Tinordi needs to be better with his stickwork. Not always at the right place at the right time. And clearly, while he can skate...he needs better foot speed. In small and restrained areas, he gets a little too often outwit. He's a work in progress. For whoever loves to think he'll make it right from camp....I don't think so. But hey, we never know.
defencemen often take until they are older than forwards to break into the league. They need time to mature. I don't expect him here for another 2-3 years.

Subban was special in that he only needed one year in the AHL. dman like that are rare.

Komisarek was 23 before he was a full time NHLer, same thing with Josh Gorges. Markov was 22.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And again... Ryan O'Byrne was a great skater (for his size), and even more impressive to me on a good Cornell team than Tinordi has been in London, more of an impact player in his senior year, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
OByrne as a senior at Cornell

O'Byrne left the NCAA after his junior year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
For all those bashing Dryden, Whitesnake is more less saying the same thing about Tinordi.

defencemen often take until they are older than forwards to break into the league. They need time to mature. I don't expect him here for another 2-3 years.

Subban was special in that he only needed one year in the AHL. dman like that are rare.

Komisarek was 23 before he was a full time NHLer, same thing with Josh Gorges. Markov was 22.
Thanks too bad others forget how to read that lol.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Zeroknowledge*

I hope they keep Tinordi at least one full year in the AHL, he needs seasoning and adjustment to the pro game. I also believe with good coaching in the AHL he will turn into a solid 2nd pairing dman that plays 18-20 min a agame.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

No, we're all aware of his shortcomings. He was drafted at 22, not 2. Dryden, more than once, has insinuated Tinordi is a terrible player. He always fails to mentions his progress from last year to this year.

Of all the times I've watched Tinordi play, he's had one bad game, and he was under the weather. I don't expect him to be Ryan Suter, merely Hal Gill who can skate, and make a better first pass.

I'm sure there are people who look at his size and expect him to jump into the NHL right away, I'm not one of those people. Nor do I expect Bealieu to do it either, because Ellis is ahead of them both.

Last edited by Protest the Hero: 04-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

I dont see anyone suggesting Tinordi doesnt have to work on various aspects of his game or that he is the perfect prospect. There is a world of difference in how Whitesnake approached his evaluation and how Dryden came across with his. Infact some of the things he is saying isnt even in line with what people see here and now. Every players path to the NHL is different as you are referring to.

Everyone had Komisark pegged as a solid two way defenseman at one point and he never panned out that way. Almost no one thought Chara could develop an offensive game. Or subban a defensive game.

My personal belief is that we have the right pieces in place for Tinordi to succeed in Montreal. Josh Gorges as a mentoring figure and Subban as a potential partner. He is going to be in a position to maximize his potential and this is why i am high on him reaching it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:14 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Dryden, more than once, has insinuated Tinordi is a terrible player.
Of all the times I've watched Tinordi play, he's had one bad game, and he was under the weather. I don't expect him to be Ryan Suter, merely Hal Gill who can skate, and make a better first pass.
For the most part, people would agree that Tinordi was by most accounts terrible last year (not this one that just ended). So for Dryden to insuate Tinordi is a terrible player, is just sharing what many people already acknowledge to a degree.

Hall Gill has also been a somewhat terrible player his entire career. Again, its about metrics and comparing apples apples. Gill has been known as a pylon for most of his career, he just fine tuned his shut down and leadership abilities in his last couple of years.

But compared to the other dman in the league, terrible would be a good adjective. Just like O'Byrne was terrible most of the time he was in Montreal.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
For the most part, people would agree that Tinordi was by most accounts terrible last year (not this one that just ended). So for Dryden to insuate Tinordi is a terrible player, is just sharing what many people already acknowledge to a degree.

Hall Gill has also been a somewhat terrible player his entire career. Again, its about metrics and comparing apples apples. Gill has been known as a pylon for most of his career, he just fine tuned his shut down and leadership abilities in his last couple of years.

But compared to the other dman in the league, terrible would be a good adjective. Just like O'Byrne was terrible most of the time he was in Montreal.
People have to come to terms with what Tinordi will likely be which is a bottom 4 defenseman with a physical side and limited offensive output. Im excited about him because despite a limited ceiling, he embodies exactly what this franchise needs in order to succeed down the road. Realisticly i do agree he is 2-3 years away, but based on needs and what happens this summee i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a taste of the show. Not saying its the best path for his development, because i dont think it is. But there is no denying the need for a defenseman in his mold and management might be tempted to try him depending how things unfold.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
People have to come to terms with what Tinordi will likely be which is a bottom 4 defenseman with a physical side and limited offensive output. Im excited about him because despite a limited ceiling, he embodies exactly what this franchise needs in order to succeed down the road. Realisticly i do agree he is 2-3 years away, but based on needs and what happens this summee i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a taste of the show. Not saying its the best path for his development, because i dont think it is. But there is no denying the need for a defenseman in his mold and management might be tempted to try him depending how things unfold.
Exactly but some people around here seem to think he is the second coming which is way way off the mark. As a bottom 4 guy he will fill a need but anything more than that in an expectation is really reaching and grasping at straws.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
O'Byrne left the NCAA after his junior year.
And I think you were probably way more in tune with watching O'Byrne at Cornell than any of us TV viewers were too. So what do you think... was O'Byrne not a "more impactful" player in his FINAL year in college than Tinordi is atm in his final year in junior?

Anyway, I'll be satisfied/pleased with Tinordi's development if he ends up being as good an NHL player as O'Byrne. I'll be more like "thrilled" if he ends up as more than that (but won't be expecting it).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Will Tinordi play in the NHL?
Absolutely! It's all about giving him some time to do so. My comments were mostly about the ones seeing him already making it from camp...I don't see it. And even if he does good, I'd go with the thought that it will be great for him to play at least 1 year in the AHL.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Exactly but some people around here seem to think he is the second coming which is way way off the mark. As a bottom 4 guy he will fill a need but anything more than that in an expectation is really reaching and grasping at straws.
he's pretty much always been pegged as a 2nd pairing shut-down Dman. That's fine, if he also adds his physical play to that, he'd be exactly what is needed in MTL, as long as his passing is solid, he'll do very very well here. Especially now that he has more confidence in his transition passing game thanks to a strong showing in these playoffs so far.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Absolutely! It's all about giving him some time to do so. My comments were mostly about the ones seeing him already making it from camp...I don't see it. And even if he does good, I'd go with the thought that it will be great for him to play at least 1 year in the AHL.
he needs at least one year...maybe two

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Peter Puck

Quote:

I think a big difference is that Dryden included his opinion that Tinordi doesn't get much PK time for the Knights. I didn't see Whitesnake saying that.

Everyone who has seen the Knights this year has been disagreeing with this. I have seen the Knights play 6 times and Tinordi was on the first PK unit. This makes it hard to give much credit to Dryden's other opinions about Tinordi.

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Yeah, nobody has pegged him as the 'second coming' of anything. People have been pretty reserved about their expectations of tinordi since we drafted him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
And I think you were probably way more in tune with watching O'Byrne at Cornell than any of us TV viewers were too. So what do you think... was O'Byrne not a "more impactful" player in his FINAL year in college than Tinordi is atm in his final year in junior?

Anyway, I'll be satisfied/pleased with Tinordi's development if he ends up being as good an NHL player as O'Byrne. I'll be more like "thrilled" if he ends up as more than that (but won't be expecting it).
yea I saw him a bunch at Cornell, I even interviewed him in his Freshman year and his D coach. I didn't see enough of Tinordi this year, but O'B was very good in his Junior year at Cornell.

In the few times i've seen Tinordi, I like what i've seen as I don't have high expectations of him and see him in the mold of Gill/O'Byrne/Komisarek. We'll see how it goes for him next year in Hamilton, can't wait.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yeah, nobody has pegged him as the 'second coming' of anything. People have been pretty reserved about their expectations of tinordi since we drafted him.
Right, of course some people who aren't really paying attention will keep hoping he makes the team out of camp just because of his size, I think most of us are level headed. The others act like we drafted him in the top 5 and expect him to dominate at every level, and anything less is unacceptable.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
29dryden29

Quote:

As I pointed out on the previous page Tinordi and Ryan at this stage are a good comparo especially with the number of games Tinordi will have played in 2 seasons being that of 4 seasons in the NCAA. an NCAA sched is 34 games and a CHL sched is 68 games plus any playoffs.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
As I pointed out on the previous page Tinordi and Ryan at this stage are a good comparo especially with the number of games Tinordi will have played in 2 seasons being that of 4 seasons in the NCAA. an NCAA sched is 34 games and a CHL sched is 68 games plus any playoffs.
A lot more goes into development than just number of games played, especially for a player of Tinordi's body type. Being a tall and lanky guy myself, I can say that Tinordi is pretty thin at 6'6-6'7(whichever happens to be correct) and 215. Having been 6'4 and 215 myself, I can say that that's actually not all that bulky/strong. Secondly a lot of development occurs during the summer with prospect camps, training camps etc. It's in the summer that most prospects improve aspects of their game like skating, as well as becoming stronger.

None of these have anything to do with the number of games that Tinordi's played vs O'Byrne.

So no, it's not a fair comparison, and you're just a hater.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

You should never really compare two players as there are so many factors that can change their development as well as the paths chosen by each individual; their natural abilities, genetic make-up, work ethic, attitude, hockey IQ for learning new techniques and ideas, coaching and management.

That being said, Tinordi will be Tinordi, not Gill, Komisarek, O'byrne, Pronger or even Chara but for a big man of his height and size, he can skate pretty well at this stage of his development. Nobody thought Chara would become the dominant force that he's turned into with the Bruins. It just takes the really big defenseman so much longer to develop because their skating and balance are always an issue. Chara's natural abilities weren't as good as the other players I mention above including Tinordi's but his work ethic and drive to be the best is second to none. I AM NOT SAYING TINORDI WILL BE A CHARA like d-man.

Here's my take on Tinordi so far in his development:

Tinordi has skating issues which are always the cases for the big men because he has a tendency to get to upright with not enough leg bend causing him balance issues. He hasn't learned to lower his base by widening his stance to get better leverage on the smaller players and has to stay away from taking himself way out of position just to make the big hit, very similar to PK Subban, Nathan Beaulieu and Darren Dietz.

Tinordi needs to continue improving his defensive positioning and reading of the play as it develops in front of him, such as when to chase a player behind his net or stay out front in the slot area to protect his goalie or reading the advancing forward's strong side tendancies which will help him to protect the middle ice and force the forward to be easily angled off to the boards. Will needs to learn to use his stick and reach better defensively and learn to deal with the smaller, speedy forwards. Just look at the trouble he had with Gallagher at the 2012 WJC in the Canada Vs USA behind his net before taking a tripping penalty.

Tinordi will need at least two years at the AHL level because he will take most likely one year to get the feel of the size and speed of the professional game then there will be a bigger improvement in his second year of his overall game. It's still going to be another five years at the NHL level before he should start to show his peak skill set. Anything before this is would be gravy for the Canadiens and based more on his work ethic and desire.

Tinordi has two things that Chara, O'byrne, Komisarik or Gill don't and never will have, it's the help of a father who played in the NHL (Never discount this fact) and a real mean streak. Only Pronger has that.

It is possible that Tinordi can develop his offensive game later. Just look at Chara at the same age, he didn't have one nor did he have as big a shot from the point as he does now. Chara learned to use his leverage and the added weight to shoot the puck much hard. It all takes a lot of effort and hard work. If Tinordi wants it badly enough and continues to work as hard as he does right now or even pushes himself harder to succeed then all bets are off on how good he can really be. Only time will tell but the Canadiens have to develop him carefully and smartly so as not to make the same mistakes as the NYI or OTT made with Chara. My belief is that he could make a good partner with PK Subban or Ellis but he must play his natural side of the left defense. You should never move a big man to his off-side because no matter how good a skater, he just can't pivot fast or well enough on that side plus you lose that long stick which protects the middle of the ice.

That's my opinion on Tinordi for now!

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Very nice post David.

While I do agree with your opinion on his skating needing more technique and work, I do think he is more mobile already then some of the guys you listed. He's not as mobile as Myers or Hedman but he is light years ahead of Hal Gill for instance.

I really do believe Tinordi has the best possible environment to succeed, having his dad as mentor/teacher, being under the coaching wing of the Hunters, and now at the professional level he'll get to go under the wing of a very solid defensive player like Josh Gorges and like you eluded to, likely pair with a very solid defenseman in PK Subban who will be able to ease the transition and make use of his experience and mobility to make up for some of Tinordi's mistakes as he rounds into form.

He is one of the prospects I am more sure of reaching the NHL, I'm not saying he is going to have the most glorious career of the bunch though. I think Ellis and Beaulieu are both ahead of him on the immediate depth chart in terms of overall game, but I think Tinordi fits a more pressing need to the team... Which is why I keep coming up with the point that management might see it more fit to give him a chance before the others (all things considered equal come training camp and beyond).

Ellis is the real wild-card for me, I only caught one of his games this year and he did look very good. He seems to have put himself ahead of both Tinordi and Beaulieu given his recent outburst in his offensive game (which is relatively = that of Beaulieu's). I am wondering if this just a solid jump in progression like we've seen from a guy like Subban in the past or if it's just a statistical anomoly like Komisarek putting up 30 points in 56 games in the AHL one season (pretty decent stats, even in the A, for a player of his style).

Old
04-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
Tinordi will need at least two years at the AHL level because he will take most likely one year to get the feel of the size and speed of the professional game then there will be a bigger improvement in his second year of his overall game. It's still going to be another five years at the NHL level before he should start to show his peak skill set. Anything before this is would be gravy for the Canadiens and based more on his work ethic and desire.
This is the perfect cautionary tone to take with Tinordi. So many posters questioning whether he'll make the team next season, or even suggesting "he probably needs a year in the AHL"... it's just too much to hope for. I mean, anything can happen with prospect development. We've seen enough examples which bucked the trends to know that. So maybe he does step right in. But I just don't think we should set our expectation levels based on the outliers.

We have to be ready to expect that Tinordi will follow a more typical path. As with O'Byrne, Komisarek... he will most likely require AHL time. And he may well be ineffective or look out of place at times in his early seasons as well, even after serving time in the AHL. It could indeed be 5 years or more before we start to get anything resembling the player most of us are hoping for.

And... we also can't discount the possibility of him going the way of Wilkie, Bilodeau, Brad Brown.

The point of dropping names is not to make a direct comparison of one player to another, not in a complete scouting sense or breakdown of a players' skillsets or other attributes. The point is to remind posters of just how rocky the development path is, and just how hard it actually is for most players to become contributing NHLers. The specific player names are to serve as helpful reminders. Reminders of the long and rocky road, reminders that strong showings at lower levels are not guarantors of success at the next levels.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Et le But

I don't think anyone expects Tinordi to be the second coming. As David and Whitesnake pointed out in pretty accurate observations he's still very raw and his weaknesses will be easier to exploit at the next level.

Really I'm very confident he will be a good stay at home defender, but only if they give him time. I expect both Ellis and Beaulieu to make the NHL before Tinordi does.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

A strong case can be made that collegiate play is a viable alternative to the juniors. NCAA coaches emphasize instruction and practice and turn out polished players. Playing 68 CHL games, traveling by bus, and having little time for instruction and practice, is not necessarily an advantage.

The Habs have a long history of drafting collegiate players dating back to the 1970s, such as Langway, Engblom, and Nyrop, who steered away from the juniors. Ken Dryden (drafted by the Bruins) is a Cornell graduate. Chris Chelios came from Wisconsin. John Leclair attended Vermont (as did Tim Thomas). Chris Higgins went to Yale and Mike Komisarek to Michigan. Eric Cole (drafted by Carolina) went to Carkson, Louis Leblanc went to Harvard.

Zach Parise attended North Dakota and never played a game in the CHL. Same with Ryan Suter and Thomas Vanek, Doug Weight, Ryan Whitney, and R.J. Umberger. There are lots of other successful NHL players who chose the collegiate route over the CHL.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 04-23-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote