HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XXXIII (Round Two)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 08:18 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
Yeah, their incompetant because they didn't want to trade their franchise player for scraps. Any GM will ask for the moon for their franchise player.
No they're incompetent because they have the face of their franchise that doesn't want to be there anymore (and mentioned the one team he wanted to go to) and instead of meeting in the middle for a fair deal they stuck to asking for the sky. Good I hope Nash stats there and pouts and holds out then when CBJ is really ready to deal him nobody takes him. They royally screwed up that process from day 1 and I can't wait to watch it bite them in the ass.

04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This is what Columbus wants for Nash

Dubinsky
Kreider
Stepan or Hagelin
McDonagh or Del Zotto
1st round pick

The Rangers take on the Nash contract. 6 years. $7.8M cap hit. $47.4M in real money.

What a deal

Quote:
"He wasn't the only reason, but he was a big part," said Gordie Clark, the Rangers' vice-president of player personnel. "They were asking for so bloody much. As I said in the [war] room, 'Jeez, Columbus wants to give us Nash, but they want us to look like Columbus when we get him.'"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet
Oh man, I never saw that quote. Solid gold from Gordie.

I'm a big fan of Nash, and was one of the people on board with picking him up at the deadline, even if it meant cracking open the piggy-bank a bit. However, there's no way I'd come close to that offer. Columbus was/is trying to make up for years of mistakes and poor drafting with a single trade. Nash is a special player, but he's not a Crosby or Stamkos.

That being said, I think if we get bounced in the first round, I think Slats is going to grab his reel and go fishing for a big name.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Oh man, I never saw that quote. Solid gold from Gordie.

I'm a big fan of Nash, and was one of the people on board with picking him up at the deadline, even if it meant cracking open the piggy-bank a bit. However, there's no way I'd come close to that offer. Columbus was/is trying to make up for years of mistakes and poor drafting with a single trade. Nash is a special player, but he's not a Crosby or Stamkos.

That being said, I think if we get bounced in the first round, I think Slats is going to grab his reel and go fishing for a big name.
It won't be Nash. As I said earlier, Craig Patrick is involved with the blue jackets.

Sather and Patrick have a professional feud. Unless Sather is willing to give the moon, Patrick is not going to budge.

I am sure the price tag will go down for Nash wherever he goes, but that price tag will not go down for Sather. The only way it happens is if Nash throws a fit and demands to go to the Rangers specifically. Then it may force Patrick's hand. But I don't think Nash is necessarily hell bent on going to the Rangers.

I think he wants to go to some sort of a contender. I still think Vancouver is going to make a serious push for him.

Also, Nash is not going to fix our offensive woes. We are being shut down by a medicore D in Ottawa, that reeks of a systemic issue within Tort's coaching.

I do think though that fixing our PP should be the #1 priority in the offseason. The team, imo, needs a right handed trigger man from the point. I would seriously consider looking at a Shay Weber and package one of our defensive Corps guys in the offseason.

I think a guy like Weber would make more of an impact than Nash.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We're past Nash. He is a RW. Being paid in full.

There have to be better options out there.

04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

This summer, I'm going to say the same thing I said before the deadline every time his name is brought up. The worst thing the Rangers could do this off-season is trade for Nash's overrated ass and his bloated contract.

Target Bobby Ryan and his reasonable contract.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
We're past Nash. He is a RW. Being paid in full.

There have to be better options out there.
Parise is the lesser headache to acquire. But I am not sure if he is going to be a major impact. Huge upgrade over Dubi though.

I think Bobby Ryan would make a large impact, but I am not sure what it would take to get him.

On the left wing front, this team needs a big power forward with soft hands and a shot.

The Rangers might want to look at slightly older more experienced guys like Morrow or Doan. Probably wouldn't be as much to acquire them.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Blueshirt Believer

IMO, Nash only really works if its a one for one swap with Gaborik. At best that is a lateral move for a guy who MAY fit better in our system. He may also be a disaster.

Honestly, Nash is not a great option with that contract. Its WAY too risky.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
This summer, I'm going to say the same thing I said before the deadline every time his name is brought up. The worst thing the Rangers could do this off-season is trade for Nash's overrated ass and his bloated contract.

I would take Bobby Ryan 101 times out of 100 over Rick Nash. The problem is according to the close out meetings Ryan said he had no reason to believe he'd be anything but a Duck next year. I think they should move him but from the looks of it it doesn't seem they want to.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

This team better make a play for a top pick at the draft. Look at all these top playoff teams. They are fueled by young superstars.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
NYR Viper

I would just go hard after Zach Parise. That makes more sense than trading away players for Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash.....

Old
04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I would take Bobby Ryan 101 times out of 100 over Rick Nash. The problem is according to the close out meetings Ryan said he had no reason to believe he'd be anything but a Duck next year. I think they should move him but from the looks of it it doesn't seem they want to.
Its why I think targeting Shay Weber and directly trying to address our PP is the way to go for free agency. Make a package deal for a left wing power forward.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think Parise would be a monumental mistake. I can't see him maintaining his numbers with us.

04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I think Parise would be a monumental mistake. I can't see him maintaining his numbers with us.
Yeah, I was a bigger proponent of it earlier in the season. But the more I have contemplated it, my gut feels like it would be a massive disappointment.

But hey if he is willing to come here for slightly more than Dubi money I am all for it. Yeah, its not going to happen. That dude is going to get cheddar.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

I bet they want a package similar to what Columbus was asking for...

If I'm the Rangers, I'm giving Edmonton a call.
Don't know where it will go, but sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Yeah its probably going to be a trade from a source that we haven't really thought of.

Edmonton really needs D.

With them drafting Yakupov(most likely)in the first round, I think they would be willing to part with one of their core forwards. Taylor Hall?

I don't think he would take the moon to get.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Ditto.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah its probably going to be a trade from a source that we haven't really thought of.

Edmonton really needs D.

With them drafting Yakupov(most likely)in the first round, I think they would be willing to part with one of their core forwards. Taylor Hall?

I don't think he would take the moon to get.
They aren't dealing Hall. I would bet my life savings on that.

If by some miracle they do decide to trade him he will cost A FORTUNE.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
They aren't dealing Hall. I would bet my life savings on that.

If by some miracle they do decide to trade him he will cost A FORTUNE.
He is popular and a fan favorite. But he is 50 pt player and that team needs defense.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Its why I think targeting Shay Weber and directly trying to address our PP is the way to go for free agency. Make a package deal for a left wing power forward.
Weber is an RFA, though. You're going to have to overpay to pry him out of Nashville and Nashville is willing to spend money to hang on to him at this point in time.

Edit: misread your post a little. Sounded like you were saying target Weber in free agency to address our PP. Now I see those are two slightly separate things.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Ail
k.

Bobby Ryan is the player I'd want most and the player who would earn his paycheck most nights. He'd be a great fit with Richards and with Gaborik at 100% it would be a very comparable scenario to Neal and Eriksson.

Parise is going to be overpaid and will probably not put up the numbers everyone will expect. It has horrible FA signing written all over it. Pass.

I can't see Columbus suddenly giving Nash up for a reasonable proposal, especially after losing the draft lottery. If they did however I see Nash being the second best bet to Bobby Ryan in terms of putting up the numbers. His contract still sucks, but he would be good for at least 30-30 playing with Richards and Gaborik. It's almost reasonable, but the situation is unrealistic regarding acquiring him.

I can't see guys like Morrow or Doan even being moved, but I would be willing to give Morrow a look if it didn't take much to get him.

Edit: I like the idea of giving Edmonton a ring and see what they are selling. I so wish they could trade for Eberle or the 1st overall. I think RNH, Hall, and Eberle are as close to untouchable as it gets. The first will cost one of McD, DZ, Girardi or Staal.

Last edited by Ail: 04-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old
04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
He is popular and a fan favorite. But he is 50 pt player and that team needs defense.
He's also only a 21 year old player that really hasn't had an injury free year and was in pace to put up impressive numbers this year. It makes absolutely no sense, not even in a fairy tale, for then to deal Hall.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, I was a bigger proponent of it earlier in the season. But the more I have contemplated it, my gut feels like it would be a massive disappointment.

But hey if he is willing to come here for slightly more than Dubi money I am all for it. Yeah, its not going to happen. That dude is going to get cheddar.
As he should. When he is healthy, he is a consistent offensive threat who also plays well on the defensive side of the puck and plays in all situations. It was only a couple of years ago that many people thought he was the best American born player in the world.

I would take him for Richards-like money 11 times out of 10.

He is also only 28. He would be the same age to start his contract as Gaborik was when the Rangers signed him.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Weber is an RFA, though. You're going to have to overpay to pry him out of Nashville and Nashville is willing to spend money to hang on to him at this point in time.
Huh, thought he was a free agent.

Suter is nice as well but he isn't the booming shot we need.

Oh well.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Bobby Ryan is the player I'd want most and the player who would earn his paycheck most nights. He'd be a great fit with Richards and eith Gaborik at 100% it would be a very comparable scenario to Neal and Eriksson.

Parise is going to be overpaid and will probably not put up the numbers everyone will expect. It has horrible FA signing written all over it. Pass.

I can't see Columbus suddenly giving Nash up for a reasonable proposal, especially after losing the draft lottery. If they did however I see Nash being the second best bet to Bobby Ryan in terms of putting up the numbers. His contract still sucks, but he would be good for at least 30-30 playing with Richards and Gaborik. It's almost reasonable, but the situation is unrealistic regarding acquiring him.

I can't see guys like Morrow or Doan even being moved, but I would be willing to give him a look if it didn't take much to get him.

Edit: I like the idea of giving Edmonton a ring and see what they are selling. I so wish they could trade for Eberle or the 1st overall. I think RNH, Hall, and Eberle are as close to untouchable as it gets. The first will cost one of McD, DZ, Girardi or Staal.
Nash on the Rangers would mean 35-40g + 40-45 assists for him. Underrated how good he is and how much he has to do all by himself in Columbus.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
MSGFaithful

Can we afford a Parise when we have guys like Callahan and Lundqvist who will be FAs soon?

I say maybe trade for a David Jones or a Ryan Clowe.

Closed Thread