HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cory Schneider's next contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
  #1
Mdmopa1
Registered User
 
Mdmopa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Cory Schneider's next contract

Whether he signs with Vancouver or not, I am just curious what his next contracts cap hit will be. I know that he might not be signing a long term contract, maybe a 3 or 4 years deal. What do you think?

Mdmopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:24 PM
  #2
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmopa1 View Post
Whether he signs with Vancouver or not, I am just curious what his next contracts cap hit will be. I know that he might not be signing a long term contract, maybe a 3 or 4 years deal. What do you think?
Probably something close to what St. Louis gave to Halak when he emerged back then, something around $3.75, factor in some cap inflation and that would be $4-4.25M

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:24 PM
  #3
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
I'm going to be heart broken if we don't retain him. Even more so than CoHo.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
  #4
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 50
Depends on who the arbitrator sides with haha.

Vancouver will use the argument of still not playing in many games and will likely try for around 2m cap hit. Schneider will bring up his numbers and playoff performance and ask for closer to 5m.

Both sides are unrealistic, will settle somewhere in the middle and I think will be done by an arbitrator. If I had to guess, I think the arbitrator would side with the inexperience and the cap hit will end up being in the 3-3.5m range.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
  #5
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Depends on who the arbitrator sides with haha.

Vancouver will use the argument of still not playing in many games and will likely try for around 2m cap hit. Schneider will bring up his numbers and playoff performance and ask for closer to 5m.

Both sides are unrealistic, will settle somewhere in the middle and I think will be done by an arbitrator. If I had to guess, I think the arbitrator would side with the inexperience and the cap hit will end up being in the 3-3.5m range.
....Arbitrator? That means we will only sign him for a year or two. If we move Luongo we will be locking Schneider up longterm. I'd expect him to sign a deal at a cap hit of around 3.75mil for 5 years.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
  #6
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
945k, 1 year.

If I were his agent, I'd suggest to him to sign his qualifying offer. He plays one more season in Vancouver, and becomes a 27 year old free agent next year.

His contract after that? In the neighborhood of 5.5-6.5m per year. Somewhere around 55-75m.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #7
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
945k, 1 year.

If I were his agent, I'd suggest to him to sign his qualifying offer. He plays one more season in Vancouver, and becomes a 27 year old free agent next year.

His contract after that? In the neighborhood of 5.5-6.5m per year. Somewhere around 55-75m.
He's player arbitration eligible. He doesn't need to play for his QO to become a free agent, he can just take the team to Arbitration after they QO him and get 3.0 million for a single season, minimum.




Personally I see him singing for around 4.25-4.5 million on a 4-5 year deal, say: 4 yr 18 million? or 5 year 21.5 million? After the contract he'll still be young enough for a big retirement contract.

If he signs for a shorter time there is a greater likelihood an injury, a poor team, or simple bad play will keep him from future earnings. A lot of teams might be willing to pay him as a potential starter without him ever being a starter, but if he takes a one year offer and fails he misses out on MILLIONS.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
  #8
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
He's player arbitration eligible. He doesn't need to play for his QO to become a free agent, he can just take the team to Arbitration after they QO him and get 3.0 million for a single season, minimum.

Personally I see him singing for around 4.25-4.5 million on a 4-5 year deal, say: 4 yr 18 million? or 5 year 21.5 million? After the contract he'll still be young enough for a big retirement contract.

If he signs for a shorter time there is a greater likelihood an injury, a poor team, or simple bad play will keep him from future earnings. A lot of teams might be willing to pay him as a potential starter without him ever being a starter, but if he takes a one year offer and fails he misses out on MILLIONS.
One year in Vancouver next season, with games 20 games against Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota.

$17-18m for a four year contract, $21-22.5m for a five, or sign for one year using your $3m, and cash in like Bryzgalof?

I'd say on the free market, after another season playing on Vancouver, he'll cash in.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #9
SixThrees
Om nom nom
 
SixThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 50
3M x 4 years with a home town discount and a guaranteed starter role.

SixThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
  #10
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
I would say 5 years $37.5 million on this one, and then he can really cash in on his next contract after that.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
  #11
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
I would say 5 years $37.5 million on this one, and then he can really cash in on his next contract after that.
A typo in there? That would make his cap hit 6.5m a year. 6.5m cap hit would've been 2nd highest in the NHL this season only behind Lundqvist...

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:08 PM
  #12
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
5 years 22.5 million

3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5

4.5 cap hit.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #13
Demko
Registered User
 
Demko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
REALLY?! Wow, am I off then.... I was thinking a 3-5 year deal maybe in the neighborhood of 3-4... :/

Demko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
  #14
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,382
vCash: 500
4-5.5 million per year for 4-5 years.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  #15
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
5 years 22.5 million

3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5

4.5 cap hit.
I think this is close to what he will get

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
  #16
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,235
vCash: 500
Vancouver is in a really tight situation with Schneider playing so well and needing a raise. Don't envy Gillis on this one. Could see him making upwards of 5.0 million, especially with the playoffs he has had.

It seems that he is the real deal.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
  #17
Sarcastic
PosterOfTheYear2014
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
I'm thinking a low of 3 and as high as 4.5 million a year.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
  #18
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,630
vCash: 500
4mil?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  #19
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,171
vCash: 500
So $4.5 - $5 million for a goalie who is not worth much more than a second round pick according to some on HF. Interesting.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM
  #20
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
So $4.5 - $5 million for a goalie who is not worth much more than a second round pick according to some on HF. Interesting.
Would you give up more than a 2nd round pick for his contract at this point and time?
- 1 year to UFA? Check.
- Great stats? Check.
- Plays on a strong team in a weak division? Check.

Which team would trade for him, and what reasonably do you think that a player who is under contract for one year is worth?

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
  #21
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,151
vCash: 500
I would aim for five or six at about $4 million cap hit if I was Gillis. If Schneider continues his stellar play and only has a short-term deal it could cost Vancouver in the future.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
  #22
DanrikCarter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
5 or 6 years at about a $4m cap hit

DanrikCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
  #23
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
4 years, 14 million.

3.5 per.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:21 PM
  #24
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 500
4 years, 16 million. He looks like a kid you'd have no issues banking that much money on.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
  #25
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,770
vCash: 500
4m cap hit, no doubt.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.