HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XXXIII (Round Two)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
  #176
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
One decent Dman is not going to fix their backend. They have already tried the band aid approach.

Its not going to work, and it will continue not to work. Edmonton has been making mistakes in not drafting Dmen in the first round. They are going to continue this with Yakupov. They have glut of forwards.

I think Hall can be had with enough defensive assets.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:15 PM
  #177
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah but Hunter isn't implementing a grinding forechecking system. Semin would be awful in that system.

He looks more defensively responsible with Hunters "trap and transition" strategy against the Bruins. But he is going to be expected to play physical here and block shots. Its not going to happen.

Now if you want to argue that our system isn't flexible and we should try to play more of a puck possession game. I would agree with you. But as long as Torts is coach, this will continue.
I'd certainly argue that last point, as it's been my preference for a long time. However, I can understand why the current system is in place. Not enough skill to play that kind of game. Torts tried "safe is death" when he first got here, which was his M.O. for years. What changed? Well, it was the realization that we don't have the horses to run that kind of race. You need skilled forwards, and defensemen who can transition the puck effectively. We're severely lacking in both departments.

However, my point still stands about a guy "like" Semin. The guy has the best wrist shot in the NHL and can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. We need a guy who can rush the puck and give us another scoring threat.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
  #178
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
One decent Dman is not going to fix their backend. They have already tried the band aid approach.

Its not going to work, and it will continue not to work. Edmonton has been making mistakes in not drafting Dmen in the first round. They are going to continue this with Yakupov. They have glut of forwards.

I think Hall can be had with enough defensive assets.
Take a trade proposal to the Edmonton board and see how emphatically they tell you what I have been saying. He is the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. He's coming off a major injury. They aren't dealing him I can promise you that.

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
  #179
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd certainly argue that last point, as it's been my preference for a long time. However, I can understand why the current system is in place. Not enough skill to play that kind of game. Torts tried "safe is death" when he first got here, which was his M.O. for years. What changed? Well, it was the realization that we don't have the horses to run that kind of race. You need skilled forwards, and defensemen who can transition the puck effectively. We're severely lacking in both departments.

However, my point still stands about a guy "like" Semin. The guy has the best wrist shot in the NHL and can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. We need a guy who can rush the puck and give us another scoring threat.
Then that wrist shot better be coming from a power forward. Not from a finesse, soft, puck possessing forward like Semin.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
  #180
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Then that wrist shot better be coming from a power forward. Not from a finesse, soft, puck possessing forward like Semin.
Might as well try and find a unicorn to play LW. Those guys are few and far between.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
  #181
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Might as well try and find a unicorn to play LW. Those guys are few and far between.
I think a Unicorn has a better chance of being in our system than Semin. More than likely Krieder is going to get a long hard look there next season.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
  #182
Thumpz
Registered User
 
Thumpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
I think at best we have Dubi, Anisimov, Stepan, Erixon, Zuccarello ( If we bring him back which I think we should ), Our First and anyone in our prospects pool not named Kreider or Miller to play with and see what we can get.

I'd REALLY like to fleece the Canadiens for Erik Cole if at all possible. He was their leading scorer this year. They may have some cap problems even after burying Gomez and I think they might be debating a rebuild now so its possible as unlikely as it may seem. Cole would be amazing on this team, he's not bad defensively, his speed is amazing, and would be a bigger, more skilled, goal scoring Hagelin on the first line. And for what he is his cap hit and length are a great fit. Sather would literally have to use mind control, but perhaps Anisimov, Erixon, 2012 First, 2013 Second might JUST be attractive enough to get it done. Even replacing Anisimov with Stepan in the deal might not be a bad deal, but I would prefer to hold onto Stepan by all means. Just really wishful thinking, lol.

I'd even keep Dubinsky around because I feel that with a Solid top line, Dubinsky can round back into the 55-60pt player he can be on the second line. I also think his value is going to be at a low right now and we may get robbed if we try to use him as a piece in a move.

Other interesting targets, Patrick Sharp, Pavelski like already mentioned, Alexandre Burrows.

The more I think about it, the more I want to Avoid an offseason involving Parise, Suter or Nash. Unless it is just a steal of a deal which I don't think would ever happen.

Thumpz is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
  #183
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Burrows would be a complete waste.

Cole is probably not going to happen. Montreal is probably going to try to continue to get bigger. I think they have finally learned that a bunch of small speedy players isn't going to get the job done.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #184
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post

I'd REALLY like to fleece the Canadiens for Erik Cole if at all possible. He was their leading scorer this year. They may have some cap problems even after burying Gomez and I think they might be debating a rebuild now so its possible as unlikely as it may seem. Cole would be amazing on this team, he's not bad defensively, his speed is amazing, and would be a bigger, more skilled, goal scoring Hagelin on the first line. And for what he is his cap hit and length are a great fit. Sather would literally have to use mind control, but perhaps Anisimov, Erixon, 2012 First, 2013 Second might JUST be attractive enough to get it done. Even replacing Anisimov with Stepan in the deal might not be a bad deal, but I would prefer to hold onto Stepan by all means. Just really wishful thinking, lol.
.
you would trade that package for erik cole? lol...

NYRKING30 is online now  
Old
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
  #185
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
Zach Parise has Red Wings written all over him. If Lidstrom retires,the Wings will attempt to sign Ryan Suter.

Quote:
However, the key to this summer’s free-agent market are Parise and Suter. If they don’t re-sign with their respective teams, it wouldn’t be a shock to see them both land on the same team. The two are very tight friends and it’s well known in league circles they’d love to play together.

Parise was given the third degree when the Devils visited Detroit late in the regular season and was effusive in his admiration for how the Wings play.

“I think they (Detroit) play the right way,” Parise said. “They play hard. The puck possession is great.

“They play a great style of hockey.”

He also stated Datsyuk was “his most favourite player to watch.”

At the NHL All-Star Game in January, Parise also quizzed Datsyuk thoroughly on the Detroit organization.
Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Wings+nee...#ixzz1stJbr5i6

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
  #186
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
I was in the NHL Store today. They have some #27 McDonagh sweaters on the rack. I almost bought one.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
  #187
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zach Parise has Red Wings written all over him. If Lidstrom retires,the Wings will attempt to sign Ryan Suter.



Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Wings+nee...#ixzz1stJbr5i6
Not to sound like a complete jerk but I have been saying this all year. Obviously things change but I would certainly bet on Detroit.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  #188
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Not to sound like a complete jerk but I have been saying this all year. Obviously things change but I would certainly bet on Detroit.
wouldn't be suprised if they got BOTH parise and suter. they have the cap space to play with this summer right?

NYRKING30 is online now  
Old
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
  #189
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
I say Suter stays in Nashville.

Cmox is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM
  #190
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I wouldn't mind seeing Parise in Detroit. They're my favorite western conference team and I'm so used to seeing them go on these deep playoff runs. They need to retool because it's weird seeing them out in the first round.

NYR94 is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  #191
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Devils and Cats fans arguing about rats being thrown on the ice in the playoff thread.

Dangleberry is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
  #192
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
Devils and Cats fans arguing about rats being thrown on the ice in the playoff thread.
Well...Devils fans were upset about balloons being thrown at the Garden after Game 1. What do you expect from them?

The rats are the only cool thing about Panthers fans.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
  #193
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
If I've ever seen a series no one has cared about it's surely the Dev's vs The Cats.

Cmox is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 05:06 PM
  #194
MSGFaithful
Registered User
 
MSGFaithful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC/Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
If I've ever seen a series no one has cared about it's surely the Dev's vs The Cats.
QFT.

I have not watched one game, nor do I really care.

MSGFaithful is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
  #195
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Huh, thought he was a free agent.

Suter is nice as well but he isn't the booming shot we need.

Oh well.
He went through arbitration last year, but the one-year deal awarded didn't take him into UFA eligibility. It did put a price tag on his worth as an RFA though. Should be interesting to watch in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zach Parise has Red Wings written all over him. If Lidstrom retires,the Wings will attempt to sign Ryan Suter.



Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Wings+nee...#ixzz1stJbr5i6
I saw that article and literally had the same thought you did. Parise and Suter are both Red Wings type players. Ryan Suter is a perfect heir to the Lidstrom legacy. They play basically the same game.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
  #196
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He went through arbitration last year, but the one-year deal awarded didn't take him into UFA eligibility. It did put a price tag on his worth as an RFA though. Should be interesting to watch in the offseason.



I saw that article and literally had the same thought you did. Parise and Suter are both Red Wings type players. Ryan Suter is a perfect heir to the Lidstrom legacy. They play basically the same game.
How does Ryan Suter play the same game as Lindstrom?

One guy is a stay at home Dman with some slight offensive upside(Honestly he gets most of his points from seconday assists with Weber), the other is Lindstrom. I fail to see the connection.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
  #197
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
How does Ryan Suter play the same game as Lindstrom?

One guy is a stay at home Dman with some slight offensive upside(Honestly he gets most of his points from seconday assists with Weber), the other is Lindstrom. I fail to see the connection.
Suter has way more than "slight offensive upside." He had the 5th most assists amongst defensemen this year (tied with three other guys at 39), 3rd in PP assists. His assists aren't mostly from secondary assists where Weber also gets a point. Suter is not a stay-at-home defenseman. Don't know where you got that from. Is he defensively oriented? Sure, but so is Lidstrom. Both players are among the top in the game defensively. Both players contribute an awful lot to their team's offense. Both players are smooth skaters and smooth puck movers. Both players are excellent at all facets of the game. I literally can't think of a flaw in Suter's game. The biggest difference between the two players is that Lidstrom has played as part of a high-powered offensive team for most of his career.

This opinion has been formed while watching the Predators quite often and going to a lot of their games when I was living in Nashville the past two years. I can't speak to how much you've watched him, but I know where my opinion comes from.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  #198
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
I've watched about 20 games with him this season. I have watched off and on during his career

I never really thought he was a smooth skater. I don't see how he is anywhere near the lateral skater of lindstrom.

He does have a great first pass but I never considered him a PPQB.

From what I saw of him he that backend offense runs through Weber. But Suter may have the better passing instincts.

I'll have to watch more.

Isn't he also having a career year this year?

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
  #199
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Isn't he also having a career year this year?
Not by much. 4 more assists, 7 more points in 9 extra games. Plus, 27yr old D tend to have career years at this stage of their careers. This is, however, the best team he's played on since entering his prime.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
  #200
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
For all you Rangers fans who were openly rooting for Philly,there is not one Flyers fan rooting for us tonight..Some of you will never learn.

surf is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.