HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XXXIII (Round Two)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
One decent Dman is not going to fix their backend. They have already tried the band aid approach.

Its not going to work, and it will continue not to work. Edmonton has been making mistakes in not drafting Dmen in the first round. They are going to continue this with Yakupov. They have glut of forwards.

I think Hall can be had with enough defensive assets.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah but Hunter isn't implementing a grinding forechecking system. Semin would be awful in that system.

He looks more defensively responsible with Hunters "trap and transition" strategy against the Bruins. But he is going to be expected to play physical here and block shots. Its not going to happen.

Now if you want to argue that our system isn't flexible and we should try to play more of a puck possession game. I would agree with you. But as long as Torts is coach, this will continue.
I'd certainly argue that last point, as it's been my preference for a long time. However, I can understand why the current system is in place. Not enough skill to play that kind of game. Torts tried "safe is death" when he first got here, which was his M.O. for years. What changed? Well, it was the realization that we don't have the horses to run that kind of race. You need skilled forwards, and defensemen who can transition the puck effectively. We're severely lacking in both departments.

However, my point still stands about a guy "like" Semin. The guy has the best wrist shot in the NHL and can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. We need a guy who can rush the puck and give us another scoring threat.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
One decent Dman is not going to fix their backend. They have already tried the band aid approach.

Its not going to work, and it will continue not to work. Edmonton has been making mistakes in not drafting Dmen in the first round. They are going to continue this with Yakupov. They have glut of forwards.

I think Hall can be had with enough defensive assets.
Take a trade proposal to the Edmonton board and see how emphatically they tell you what I have been saying. He is the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. He's coming off a major injury. They aren't dealing him I can promise you that.

04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd certainly argue that last point, as it's been my preference for a long time. However, I can understand why the current system is in place. Not enough skill to play that kind of game. Torts tried "safe is death" when he first got here, which was his M.O. for years. What changed? Well, it was the realization that we don't have the horses to run that kind of race. You need skilled forwards, and defensemen who can transition the puck effectively. We're severely lacking in both departments.

However, my point still stands about a guy "like" Semin. The guy has the best wrist shot in the NHL and can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. We need a guy who can rush the puck and give us another scoring threat.
Then that wrist shot better be coming from a power forward. Not from a finesse, soft, puck possessing forward like Semin.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Then that wrist shot better be coming from a power forward. Not from a finesse, soft, puck possessing forward like Semin.
Might as well try and find a unicorn to play LW. Those guys are few and far between.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Might as well try and find a unicorn to play LW. Those guys are few and far between.
I think a Unicorn has a better chance of being in our system than Semin. More than likely Krieder is going to get a long hard look there next season.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Thumpz

I think at best we have Dubi, Anisimov, Stepan, Erixon, Zuccarello ( If we bring him back which I think we should ), Our First and anyone in our prospects pool not named Kreider or Miller to play with and see what we can get.

I'd REALLY like to fleece the Canadiens for Erik Cole if at all possible. He was their leading scorer this year. They may have some cap problems even after burying Gomez and I think they might be debating a rebuild now so its possible as unlikely as it may seem. Cole would be amazing on this team, he's not bad defensively, his speed is amazing, and would be a bigger, more skilled, goal scoring Hagelin on the first line. And for what he is his cap hit and length are a great fit. Sather would literally have to use mind control, but perhaps Anisimov, Erixon, 2012 First, 2013 Second might JUST be attractive enough to get it done. Even replacing Anisimov with Stepan in the deal might not be a bad deal, but I would prefer to hold onto Stepan by all means. Just really wishful thinking, lol.

I'd even keep Dubinsky around because I feel that with a Solid top line, Dubinsky can round back into the 55-60pt player he can be on the second line. I also think his value is going to be at a low right now and we may get robbed if we try to use him as a piece in a move.

Other interesting targets, Patrick Sharp, Pavelski like already mentioned, Alexandre Burrows.

The more I think about it, the more I want to Avoid an offseason involving Parise, Suter or Nash. Unless it is just a steal of a deal which I don't think would ever happen.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Burrows would be a complete waste.

Cole is probably not going to happen. Montreal is probably going to try to continue to get bigger. I think they have finally learned that a bunch of small speedy players isn't going to get the job done.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post

I'd REALLY like to fleece the Canadiens for Erik Cole if at all possible. He was their leading scorer this year. They may have some cap problems even after burying Gomez and I think they might be debating a rebuild now so its possible as unlikely as it may seem. Cole would be amazing on this team, he's not bad defensively, his speed is amazing, and would be a bigger, more skilled, goal scoring Hagelin on the first line. And for what he is his cap hit and length are a great fit. Sather would literally have to use mind control, but perhaps Anisimov, Erixon, 2012 First, 2013 Second might JUST be attractive enough to get it done. Even replacing Anisimov with Stepan in the deal might not be a bad deal, but I would prefer to hold onto Stepan by all means. Just really wishful thinking, lol.
you would trade that package for erik cole? lol...

Old
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zach Parise has Red Wings written all over him. If Lidstrom retires,the Wings will attempt to sign Ryan Suter.

Quote:
However, the key to this summer’s free-agent market are Parise and Suter. If they don’t re-sign with their respective teams, it wouldn’t be a shock to see them both land on the same team. The two are very tight friends and it’s well known in league circles they’d love to play together.

Parise was given the third degree when the Devils visited Detroit late in the regular season and was effusive in his admiration for how the Wings play.

“I think they (Detroit) play the right way,” Parise said. “They play hard. The puck possession is great.

“They play a great style of hockey.”

He also stated Datsyuk was “his most favourite player to watch.”

At the NHL All-Star Game in January, Parise also quizzed Datsyuk thoroughly on the Detroit organization.
Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Wings+nee...#ixzz1stJbr5i6

Old
04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I was in the NHL Store today. They have some #27 McDonagh sweaters on the rack. I almost bought one.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zach Parise has Red Wings written all over him. If Lidstrom retires,the Wings will attempt to sign Ryan Suter.

Not to sound like a complete jerk but I have been saying this all year. Obviously things change but I would certainly bet on Detroit.

04-23-2012, 03:09 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Not to sound like a complete jerk but I have been saying this all year. Obviously things change but I would certainly bet on Detroit.
wouldn't be suprised if they got BOTH parise and suter. they have the cap space to play with this summer right?

Old
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Cmox

I say Suter stays in Nashville.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I wouldn't mind seeing Parise in Detroit. They're my favorite western conference team and I'm so used to seeing them go on these deep playoff runs. They need to retool because it's weird seeing them out in the first round.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Dangleberry

Devils and Cats fans arguing about rats being thrown on the ice in the playoff thread.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
Devils and Cats fans arguing about rats being thrown on the ice in the playoff thread.
Well...Devils fans were upset about balloons being thrown at the Garden after Game 1. What do you expect from them?

The rats are the only cool thing about Panthers fans.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Cmox

If I've ever seen a series no one has cared about it's surely the Dev's vs The Cats.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:06 PM
MSGFaithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
If I've ever seen a series no one has cared about it's surely the Dev's vs The Cats.
QFT.

I have not watched one game, nor do I really care.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Huh, thought he was a free agent.

Suter is nice as well but he isn't the booming shot we need.

Oh well.
He went through arbitration last year, but the one-year deal awarded didn't take him into UFA eligibility. It did put a price tag on his worth as an RFA though. Should be interesting to watch in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

I saw that article and literally had the same thought you did. Parise and Suter are both Red Wings type players. Ryan Suter is a perfect heir to the Lidstrom legacy. They play basically the same game.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He went through arbitration last year, but the one-year deal awarded didn't take him into UFA eligibility. It did put a price tag on his worth as an RFA though. Should be interesting to watch in the offseason.

I saw that article and literally had the same thought you did. Parise and Suter are both Red Wings type players. Ryan Suter is a perfect heir to the Lidstrom legacy. They play basically the same game.
How does Ryan Suter play the same game as Lindstrom?

One guy is a stay at home Dman with some slight offensive upside(Honestly he gets most of his points from seconday assists with Weber), the other is Lindstrom. I fail to see the connection.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
How does Ryan Suter play the same game as Lindstrom?

One guy is a stay at home Dman with some slight offensive upside(Honestly he gets most of his points from seconday assists with Weber), the other is Lindstrom. I fail to see the connection.
Suter has way more than "slight offensive upside." He had the 5th most assists amongst defensemen this year (tied with three other guys at 39), 3rd in PP assists. His assists aren't mostly from secondary assists where Weber also gets a point. Suter is not a stay-at-home defenseman. Don't know where you got that from. Is he defensively oriented? Sure, but so is Lidstrom. Both players are among the top in the game defensively. Both players contribute an awful lot to their team's offense. Both players are smooth skaters and smooth puck movers. Both players are excellent at all facets of the game. I literally can't think of a flaw in Suter's game. The biggest difference between the two players is that Lidstrom has played as part of a high-powered offensive team for most of his career.

This opinion has been formed while watching the Predators quite often and going to a lot of their games when I was living in Nashville the past two years. I can't speak to how much you've watched him, but I know where my opinion comes from.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I've watched about 20 games with him this season. I have watched off and on during his career

I never really thought he was a smooth skater. I don't see how he is anywhere near the lateral skater of lindstrom.

He does have a great first pass but I never considered him a PPQB.

From what I saw of him he that backend offense runs through Weber. But Suter may have the better passing instincts.

I'll have to watch more.

Isn't he also having a career year this year?

Old
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Isn't he also having a career year this year?
Not by much. 4 more assists, 7 more points in 9 extra games. Plus, 27yr old D tend to have career years at this stage of their careers. This is, however, the best team he's played on since entering his prime.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

For all you Rangers fans who were openly rooting for Philly,there is not one Flyers fan rooting for us tonight..Some of you will never learn.

Closed Thread