Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Well after the u-18's is it any clearer about the goalies in this draft crop?

04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
vCash: 500
Well after the u-18's is it any clearer about the goalies in this draft crop?

Vasilveski---not as impressive as he was at the World Jrs....

Dansk--a big FAIL in the Gold Medal game -if he was so good he FAILED to save his team (yanked after 3 goals) of course young Hogberg (2013 eligible) was drilled too by Team uSA...

The point is-I AM NOT SURE if MALCOLM SUBBAN after the less than 'wows" of Vasilevksi and Dansk at the u-18's is not back in the 1st goalie taken spot...

ON THE OTHER HAND --COLLIN OLSON was terrific with 3 shutouts at the tournament including a 27 save blank of Sweden in the gold Medal Game and only 3 goals given up (all to Canada in a USA 5-3 win) ....now one must temper this by saying USA goalies playing on Gold Medal World U-18 squads do have lots of help and OLSON's "normal numbers on the USNDTP team playing in the USHL are not as sensational ..is this another JACK CAMPBELL or is there more going on here?

In terms of STYLE--OLSON is a BIG GOALIE and i liked his SIZE coverage of his net and his technical positioning square to shooters ....DANSK plays shorter than his height (hunched over) as his style is more acrobatioc--leaving bigger net gaps--- and we saw how PHI destroyed a Marc-Andre Fleury type "acrobatic-quick" style goalie....BIG RISK here... yes one might say 1 bad game -but I prefer BIG net coverage goalies over smaller or hunched over acrobatic types...

IN the bIG goalie category we have Vasilvski (6'3)--who as i said was not as impressive as he was in the World Jrs,though he still was .922 in 5GP ...,OLSON, JON GILLIES ( Indiana USHL) and ANTHONY STOLARZ --a back-up on Team Usa at the world u-18's from Corpus Cristi,NAHL,(the 6'4-5" really BIG goalies) ,we also have
JAKE PATERSON (Saginaw ,OHL) who had some sensational games for the Spirit in the playoffs but also some not so good games and his overall save % did not change much from the reg.season-so he gives indications of talent but the consistency is not there yet though he maintained a consist overall save % (.903 playoffs;.904 season) ...Paterson has grown to about 6'2 183 now) ...

Probably scouts still will put Subban,Vasilevski and Dansk as the first 3 goalies to go off the board but it is not certain someone from the others I list above won't turn out better years down the line as NHl pros if they make it...

IN a draft of so few good forwards --it does look like t here is quality and good risk-reward potential in picking goalies in the first 2 rounds..

Whether the fact neither Vasilevski nor Dansk could be a wall to get their teams to Gold at the world u-18 (admittedly harder for Vasilevski since his Russian team was not talented enough to medal,easier for Dansk--who just "blew it" in the big game failing to keep his team in it -letting them go down3-0 before getting yanked) --whether these less than "special" showings drop these 2 from risking in the first round now -I'm not sure-but in my mind I now see the risk of taking first round flyers on them...Perhaps they go only 2nd round now...

I think their less than "wow" moments at the world u-18 help put Subban back in focus as I think the only certain first rounder now...
Scouts will fondly remember his "WALL" (.938 save% in the first half before he went out with the groin injury)--they may dismss his "drop" in performance in Feb and
early March to finish the reg season,and will probably credit his rise to a better (but not all the way back to first half brilliance) showing in the playoffs (a .917 save% in 6GP) as indicative that he was progressing back up again (they will still credit him lingering effects from the groin as preventing him from getting all the ay back to top form)...at least I think they will...

SUBBAN unlike the others is not 'BIG" in height --just 6'0 188--but he is from what I saw of Dansk-- just as acrobatic BUT with a better technical positioning and less hunched over style,,,,from what i've seen (though limited to the 1 bad game by Dansk) I think Subban is the more solid bet,,,,he's a lot smoother...Dansk is 6'2 but
plays hunched over--you would think he's 5'10 ...also not as weighty as Subban -don't know how he's survive the goalie scrambles in the crease -he did not look very finssey when pucks got intothose situations...STILL ginished with a .937 save % in 5GP but as i said blew it for his team in the big game -maybe nerves -but maybe flaws when the competition finally got tough...

SO if I am drafting a goalie in round one,I'd still bet on SUbban
as the best to risk on....If I do not get Subban,I wait till round two and take a goalie from those listed above who still are on the board. i may miss Vasilevski and Dansk --maybe they go late round one or earlier in round two --but if I'm drafting in the bottom 3rd of roumd 2 I think there is a good chance that 1 of OLSON,GILLIES,STOLARZ (the BIG goalies) is still there or maybe PATERSON (cause i still like his potential)...

Now it is possible i just saw Dansk on his worst day -but as i said I was not impressed with that hunched style -I think you need better technical positioning-net coverage on the angles AND economy of movement rather than atheletic /acrobatism and floping too much on the ice -I just DID NOT LIKE HIS OVERALL STYLE..

Vasilevski looked less a wALL on a much pooer team-BUT he also let in some softer goals that I recall from his great play at the World jrs...

Maybe no goalies is great ALL THE TIME (well it seems like Mike Smith behind PHX can be such a consistent WALL -but that is the exception) but I need to see evidence of ABILITY to be the "difference-maker" /EQUALIZER as only few "elite" goalies can....this takes a combination of NET COVERAGE,SIZE, POSITIONING (Square to shooters),GLOVE, REBOUND CONTROL and some ability for QUICK side to side movement PLUS MENTAL WILL AND FOCUS ....not all goalies have ALL these elements in abundance ---I'd still bet on SUBBAN as having most of thesequalities except the SIZE (just average at 6'0) but if he is grabbed offin round one,then in round two I would probably risk on the upside of the really BIG goalies (GILLIES,STOLARZ,OLSON) --besides AMERICAN GOALIES are doing well in the NHL
---MILLER,ANDERSON,SCHNEIDER, HOWARD, THOMAS etc... so I'd bet on one of the BIG 3 AMERICAN goalies as a round 2 pick--the question is which of the big 3 goes off the board first,second and 3rd --of these 3 in round 2? IF we expect Vasilevski and Dansk to stillgo ahead of them -then that might mean at least 6 goalies go before the end of round two (maybe 7 if some team takes Paterson in round 2)..seems like a lot of goalies going that early--BUT teams see the value of goaltending when RINNE, QUICK,SMITH,HALAK-ELLIOTT are so vital to their teams' success and then see the FAIL of goalies (FLEURY getiing lit up by PHI) as crucial to why they FAILED as a team ultimately on the CUP quest...

So in a Weak Draft -especially for forwards-- goaltending could/should be at a premium this year...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
aka DuckJet
vCash: 68
I always LOOK forward to YOUR posts Hawksfan50.

It MAY be a Monday, BUT god **** it it's a HAWKSFAN50 Monday.

HanSolo is online now   Reply With Quote