HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who Do You Blame Most?

View Poll Results: Who is to blame for the Sharks slip?
Doug Wilson 0 0%
Todd McLellan 0 0%
Neither, they're both equally at fault 0 0%
Neither, it's one or multiple players and not the GM/Coaching Staff 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-22-2012, 10:36 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
The blame should go squarely on the FANS! They just didn't believe enough. (Oh, and I wore white socks to five games this season, when I clearly should have worn black socks.)

SonomaShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Phu

vCash: 500
None of the above. Most to blame is a points percentage far below performance for a large portion of the regular season.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
The blame should go squarely on the FANS! They just didn't believe enough. (Oh, and I wore white socks to five games this season, when I clearly should have worn black socks.)
that's it. Burn him!

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No it isn't. They're blaming Burns, when he was our second best player in the series.

The coaching staff was completely unable to make any adjustment to Hitchcock's system.
Oh sure kind of like how Babcock was unable to adjust to Trotz's "puck management"... Say what system was McLellan hired to bring to San Jose again.... Oh Yeah!

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:29 AM
CupfortheSharks

Too many of our players underperformed this year. We are seeing players perform better with other teams after they leave the Sharks. We are not seeing players perform better on the Sharks than they did with their previous teams. It's the coach not the GM.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
I blame those man purses/luncbags they gave out at the last home game!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
Niemi says hi

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

I also blame those damn pajama black jerseys they wear too!

Old
04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
PondShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Too many of our players underperformed this year. We are seeing players perform better with other teams after they leave the Sharks. We are not seeing players perform better on the Sharks than they did with their previous teams. It's the coach not the GM.
this is a very valid point. i like todd but he has got to go!

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Wow. Well put.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Perro

Hitchcock

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:19 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Hitchcock

Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post

haha good call.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:

lmao, my friend pointed that out to me while watching game 2. we talked in the warbly, high-pitched paul bearer voice for the rest of the day.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

IMO **** starts at the top and rolls downhill, but I think that this quote surmises it best.

"Well, you know... it was a team effort. It took every player working together to lose this one." --Doug Reemer

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
I agree with the underperformed part for the Sharks but I don't agree with players performing better with other teams. Nichol was the same with St. Louis that he was here. He played better there in the playoffs than he did here but that wasn't because of the coach. Heater and Seto did not perform better in Minnesota. Ian White performed about the same in Detroit that he did here. 32 points for a full year there and he actually produced slightly above that clip in the time he played here. Huskins was producing more but only played 25 games in St. Louis this year. Mayers is performing equally. Wallin may be performing better in Sweden, I don't know. Wellwood is about the only guy I would say is definitely performing better but he also got a lot more time in Winnipeg than he did and would've gotten here. McGinn is getting that same treatment in Colorado. He sees more time there than he would get here.

There are certainly some coaching issues and I think unless the talent drastically improves in depth, the same issues likely factor in next season. So something has to happen here. Either they finally take the hint that the three line offense which includes speed is the best way to go or they can the coach and bring more aggressive defensive structure into the mix.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Hold the Pickles

I blame the system. For me, the question is, Can T-mac change the system to fit the players we have? Or can he innovate a new system?

It seems the system we have takes players too long to learn so not only is keeping the same players is essential, but it relies on home grown talent, which Dougie likes to trade away. When you have future HOF'rs like Blake claiming that they're learning so much, maybe the system is asking for too much in an era where there is so much turnaround.

Plus, I'm not a big fan of a defense being aggressive in certain areas of the ice but being passive in others. I think its easier psychologically, and more effective to stay one way or the other... and is a reason switching to D-mode when you get the lead late tends to be the Kiss of Death.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Wellwood is about the only guy I would say is definitely performing better but he also got a lot more time in Winnipeg than he did and would've gotten here. McGinn is getting that same treatment in Colorado. He sees more time there than he would get here.
I was refering to McGinn and Nichol mostly.

I think Nichol played much better in the series against us than he did in any of last year's series.

There was a big void in our top 6 when Havlat was out. There were plenty of minutes on the 2nd line and PP #2 to give McGinn. So, I don't think that's a valid reason why McGinn played much better after he left the team.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
I was refering to McGinn and Nichol mostly.

I think Nichol played much better in the series against us than he did in any of last year's series.

There was a big void in our top 6 when Havlat was out. There were plenty of minutes on the 2nd line and PP #2 to give McGinn. So, I don't think that's a valid reason why McGinn played much better after he left the team.
Well, I wouldn't say McGinn performed any better. Avs are a more open team because they have speed we don't. McGinn did get a lot of PP time with Havlat out. Why he wasn't used more at even strength especially with Couture and Clowe begging for speed on their line, I don't know. However, on a quicker team like the Avs, the deficiencies that McGinn has like not being that good at holding onto pucks along the boards and puck play in general, can be covered up a lot better. It's not completely coach-based as it is talent-based.

As for Nichol, he's definitely better this year than last but this year is pretty much what Nichol was the year before in his first year as a Shark. Last year was just a struggle for him and it had nothing to do with the system or how he was used, at least to me.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Coach needs to go along with Marleau, and possibly Pavelski (too slow).......someone remind me again how much Marleau makes.......and how much does Martin St Louis make?

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:12 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Coach needs to go along with Marleau, and possibly Pavelski (too slow).......someone remind me again how much Marleau makes.......and how much does Martin St Louis make?
Hmmm maybe Marleau needs to play with someone that can score 60 goals

Old
04-24-2012, 12:13 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Off of the top of my head... Burns

Also Wingels and Desi seem to be developing nicely. Very very good signs

Old
04-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well, I wouldn't say McGinn performed any better. Avs are a more open team because they have speed we don't. McGinn did get a lot of PP time with Havlat out. Why he wasn't used more at even strength especially with Couture and Clowe begging for speed on their line, I don't know. However, on a quicker team like the Avs, the deficiencies that McGinn has like not being that good at holding onto pucks along the boards and puck play in general, can be covered up a lot better. It's not completely coach-based as it is talent-based.

As for Nichol, he's definitely better this year than last but this year is pretty much what Nichol was the year before in his first year as a Shark. Last year was just a struggle for him and it had nothing to do with the system or how he was used, at least to me.
Exactly on the McGinn point. He also played with Paul Staszny and David Jones for alot of the time.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Off of the top of my head... Burns

Also Wingels and Desi seem to be developing nicely. Very very good signs
What? Burns was in the 15-17 goal range in minny when he was healthy, and in the 40 point range.

11 goals here. Way fewer hits too. But did get up his +/-, that was pretty much his only stat increase.

Boyle definitely eats into his points though.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote