HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

May 8: Meszaros (back surgery) expected to play in Game 5 vs. NJD (updates in post 1)

Old
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
As posted elsewhere, the odds of us actually playing Boston or NY next round are fairly slim. The Rangers and Bruins would have to go 3 for 3. If either loses, we play the winner of Florida - NJ regardless.
Yeah I hear ya but either way I just want Boston out of the mix..as well as the Rangers although I think now the Rangers can be had. They have no PP and their offense is sputtering and now they are missing the Jolly Green Irish Giant Boyle.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
See my earlier posting. You should be very worried about Bruins, considering our injuries and their size.

Chara? Lucic? Thornton? C'mon. We're hurt bad already!
The Rangers and Sens have some pretty heavy hitting big guys themselves. You people worry about the wrong things. Yes, Boston and NYR matchup better against the Flyers than other teams, but the Pens matched up better than either of those and the Flyers beat them pretty handily. If Couturier can shut down Malkin, I think he can shut down Seguin, Kreici, or Bergeron (or whomever they send out against him). None of the teams left in the East have the fire-power the Pens had. While size and goaltending may be an issue in the upcoming series, there is no team that the Flyers can't beat. I'd prefer to play the Sens, Caps, Devils, or Panthers, but the sky won't fall because the Bruins have some big guys in their lineup.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

The Bruins would be a much more even matchup than people think. The Flyers aren't going to give up 10 like they did to Pittsburgh. This series was an anomaly of pure hatred, run and gun for 60 minutes, and the leagues 1 and 3 offenses playing against each other. Games 1/5/6 are much more indicative of the kind of games we are going to see from here on out. All that being said I would prefer not to play the Bruins after just going through a very physical series and the injuries we have but I wouldn't expect us to just roll over.

Flyers have the best offense remaining in the East and possibly the playoffs, defense will need to be team oriented like yesterday's game to keep going until some of the reinforcements are back but that kind of hockey of 40 blocked shots also has a toll on the forwards. Our best bet is probably NJ and Florida winner due to the success against both teams but honestly whoever we play isn't going to be a push over, they are in the 2nd round of the playoffs, they deserve to be here. Rangers really are the only team I would be worried about simply because of Henrik's ability to just take over a series and frustrate talented offenses but its not to say we couldn't take them in a 7 game series.

Prefer/Most desirable: Florida/NJ
Above avg. matchup: Caps/Ott
Indifferent: Bruins
Least desirable: NYR

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

i dont care who the Flyers play in round 2 honestly.

people need to be carefull what they wish for.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

The Flyers MUST avoid Washington. They are playing their 3rd string goalie. Recipe for disaster.

Seriously, the best matchup would come out of NJ - Florida, and would probably be the Panthers and the Theodore/Clemmensen tandem. However, as LegionofDoom said, nobody is going to roll over at this point in the playoffs.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:04 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

I kind of agree. We're not exactly doomed if we get NYR or Boston, and it's not as if we'll just steamroll over the other teams. I'd still rather face the Panthers or the Capitals than the Rangers though...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yeah Boston must be avoided at all costs.....Washington must eliminate them..please!

I hope the Flyers do not play until Sunday. I'll be in Miami and returning Monday night and no way the gf will allow a wasted night watching hockey although I will be secretely checking my smartphone constantly. I can stomach missing only one game..but will be annoyed if I miss a couple due to an earlier start date like Fri..ugh! Plus we need massive rest for our walking wounded....
Greatest indication that unless you abort your relationship, you will live a miserable life. It starts as not 'wasting' a night while on Vaca, to missing games for dinner at the in-laws, to missing games for family gatherings or even worse, your own childs sports! And eventually it turns into missing the game to do work around the house, and well just because.

Cut it off my friend, cut it off!!

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Greatest indication that unless you abort your relationship, you will live a miserable life. It starts as not 'wasting' a night while on Vaca, to missing games for dinner at the in-laws, to missing games for family gatherings or even worse, your own childs sports! And eventually it turns into missing the game to do work around the house, and well just because.

I agree. I married my wife not only cause she is hot but because i can do what ever i want and not get my balls busted about it. there's give and take in any situation but certain things, especially the Flyers, must NEVER be compromised unless your a desperate wuss!....And if your a hockey fan, it goes without saying that it is impossible to love someone who is NOT! for me anyway

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:

I'll compromise a game or two during the regular season with my girlfriend, but she knows better when it comes to the playoffs. She claims she didn't sign up for this when we first started dating. Either way she went from someone who didn't really care for the Flyers, to taking a liking since their players were cute, to coming to the carnival and playing rockband with Coburn and Hartnell, to screaming her lungs out and freaking out during the playoffs!

Anyone can be converted!

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I agree. I married my wife not only cause she is hot but because i can do what ever i want and not get my balls busted about it. there's give and take in any situation but certain things, especially the Flyers, must NEVER be compromised unless your a desperate wuss!....And if your a hockey fan, it goes without saying that it is impossible to love someone who is NOT! for me anyway
SO hard for males to assert themselves in this stupid age of girl power etc etc.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I'll compromise a game or two during the regular season with my girlfriend, but she knows better when it comes to the playoffs. She claims she didn't sign up for this when we first started dating. Either way she went from someone who didn't really care for the Flyers, to taking a liking since their players were cute, to coming to the carnival and playing rockband with Coburn and Hartnell, to screaming her lungs out and freaking out during the playoffs!

Anyone can be converted!
my girlfriend thinks Kris Letang and James Neal are cuter than anyone on the Flyers...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
my girlfriend thinks Kris Letang and James Neal are cuter than anyone on the Flyers...
I hope she doesn't want you to grow your hair to match Letans's. Yikes.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

The meaningless game against Pitt at the end of the season fell on my anniversary with my lady, we had nice plans to go out to dinner yada yada. I never miss a game, but I figured this was a battle I was willing to concede, and she never gives me crap about the Flyers. I pick her up, she says "can we just go out to lunch so we can watch the Flyers and Phillies today?" I almost went out for a ring right then and there hahaha.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

Exactly. I am hoping so bad the Panthers win this series because my buddy is a Devils fan and the last two weeks or so of the season all I heard about was how the Flyers were stupid to keep winning games because the Pens are going to sweep them and how NJ will get a free pass to the second round if they play the Panthers (there were those on this board who were making similar statements about how the Flyers should rest everyone the last couple games in hopes of getting the #6 seed IIRC). I sent him a text after the Flyers advanced talking about how unlucky the Flyers were and how lucky the Devils are for playing Florida. I got no response.

The bottom line is you play the hand you are dealt. Matchups will only get you so far in the playoffs. Sure they can help or hurt you, but in the end, you have to beat the best to be the best so there is no point in trying to "avoid" certain teams.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Ha ha..well in fairness she's been cool about me watching the games and not bugging me so far. I sent her the schedule and said..heed this woman! She also suggested in passing that I could maybe catch the game down there ..but I could tell it was half-hearted. I think it's one of those tests..although they say the man who passes the test is the one who won't be tested in the first place. Anyway, I think i can concede 1 game..but not sure about two but looks like the Rangers might help.

Not even sure what kind of relationship it is.....hasn't been that long since we started dating seriously and was weary of going on a vaca so soon but my friends were like don't over think it and have some fun. She leaves for Boston end of May for a year to study so I think this relationship will abort by default especially if we face Boston and they win...won't set foot in that city for a long time!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:18 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I hope she doesn't want you to grow your hair to match Letans's. Yikes.
Haha! It used to be that long! I cut it about a year ago though. It became too much to deal with.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
UGH!

Tim Panaccio ‏ @tpanotchCSN
Grossmann needs these days off for concussion recovery; I was told in PGH Meszaros needed 3 more weeks
this sucks

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

3 weeks? Jesus.
Now I'm really hoping for the Panthers.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
this sucks
Why are you upset?

Pannaccio says Mez needs 3 more weeks=Mez will be ready to go for game 1.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:28 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

this weekend isnt even 6 weeks from the day of surgery is it? the guy is going to need time to get into game shape. he has to be sure he can withstand the punishment of getting hit in that back which you know teams will do.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:55 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Hopefully, Grossmann can get symptom-free this week and be back in the line-up early in round 2. Having him back would obviously be huge. I'm much less optimistic for Meszaros, and frankly Mez playing at 60-70% doesn't instill me with a lot of enthusiasm. He could be a defensive liability at 100%.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Hopefully, Grossmann can get symptom-free this week and be back in the line-up early in round 2. Having him back would obviously be huge. I'm much less optimistic for Meszaros, and frankly Mez playing at 60-70% doesn't instill me with a lot of enthusiasm. He could be a defensive liability at 100%.
no more so than Kubina at this point though.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
no more so than Kubina at this point though.
I honestly think Kubina is hurt.

His biggest asset is his shot and he hardly winds up to crank it. I think he has an upper body injury. Maybe the rest will help him out. We could only hope lol.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
rban*

I keep waking up and coming here, hoping to find dramatic news, like 'Grossman defeinitely a go for Game 1' or 'Meszaros well ahead of schedule in recovery, will be in by Game 3' .... but no such luck.

To add to my misery, Ottawa and Caps look like thye wont be getting the job done vs Bruins and Rags ...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Update April 24:

Bill Meltzer:

http://twitter.com/#!/billmeltzer

Quote:
Grossmann looks good. Meszaros clearly still not 100 percent but better than I thought given timetable.
Quote:
Meszaros out with full group, in no contact gray jersey.
Tim P.:

Quote:
Meszaros skating with full group but wearing NO contact jersey
Wayne Fish:

Quote:
Flyers D Andrej Meszaros skates with the practice group (no contact) for first time. Recovering from back surgery.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-24-2012 at 11:38 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote