HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Johan Larsson - The Forgotten Swede...

Old
04-21-2012, 02:55 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Johan Larsson - The Forgotten Swede...

Won Gold Medal as the team Captain of Sweden in the WJC, won Rookie of the Year (I know it's not that big of an award for Swedish players, though impressive names on that list) and won the championship this week.

And yet Silfverberg and Järnkrok get more press and discussions on them than him.

He isn't going to be a goal scorer by any means but I think he is very underrated when it comes to young Swedish prospects and he looks like he could adapt fairly quickly to the North American game.

What do you guys think of Larsson?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:19 AM
ToBBa

What is that Rookie of the year -award? I thought this was already his second season?

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
What is that Rookie of the year -award? I thought this was already his second season?
He played 43 games last season, but trying to comprehend the requirements with my not-so-great Swedish, it seems junior players are eligible for the first two seasons in the league, or so.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:04 AM

Just disregard the Swedish rookie of the year award. It basically means nothing, and it is a flawed trophy.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:09 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
He played 43 games last season, but trying to comprehend the requirements with my not-so-great Swedish, it seems junior players are eligible for the first two seasons in the league, or so.
It's essentially a U21 award, and a player can win it more than one time. As 1978 says, don't pay a lot of attention it- for one thing, it's given out by a bookmaker.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
rookie of the year is basically best young player.. no matter how many games or sesasons they have played

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:12 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
rookie of the year is basically best young player.. no matter how many games or sesasons they have played
So basically it's a "breakout player of the year award" ?

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:14 AM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
So basically it's a "breakout player of the year award" ?
pretty much.. the nominations are also given out during the season.. the best rookie after 12-14 games and next nomination after 25 and so on.

It's a really skewed award.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:17 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Won Gold Medal as the team Captain of Sweden in the WJC, won Rookie of the Year (I know it's not that big of an award for Swedish players, though impressive names on that list) and won the championship this week.

And yet Silfverberg and Järnkrok get more press and discussions on them than him.

He isn't going to be a goal scorer by any means but I think he is very underrated when it comes to young Swedish prospects and he looks like he could adapt fairly quickly to the North American game.

What do you guys think of Larsson?
And Silfverberg should be getting less press?

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
And Silfverberg should be getting less press?
Or maybe Larsson should be talked about in the same discussion as guys like Silfvergberg.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:49 PM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Or maybe Larsson should be talked about in the same discussion as guys like Silfvergberg.
Well if he had played as good as Silfverberg he certainly would. I'm not sure you understand how good Silfbverberg has been this year.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Well if he had played as good as Silfverberg he certainly would. I'm not sure you understand how good Silfbverberg has been this year.
Silfverberg deserves all the accolades he is getting, to be sure.

But the reality is Johan Larsson at 19 is well ahead of where Silfverberg was a couple of years ago. In that context, he really isn't getting that much attention. That doesn't mean Larsson will develop as quickly as Silfverberg did in the next two years, but its worth noting that Larsson's performance as a 19 year old in the SEL puts him in some pretty elite company. His 36 points as a 19 year old were by far and away the best of all young Swedish forwards since Backstrom put up 40 points 5 years ago at the same age. I think the point here is that not many people realize how impressive his year was. Combine the fact he was WJC captain for the gold medal winner as well, and has an extremely high motor and it bodes well for his NHL potential.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Tomas W

He plays very mature for his age. Good prospect. Wonder if he will play already next year for Minny then.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:26 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
He plays very mature for his age. Good prospect. Wonder if he will play already next year for Minny then.
Larsson has been quoted as saying he will be playing in NA next year. whether thats the NHL or AHL will depend on a few things.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
joe89

Well, I think that's largely because he's a tank, people don't really see him as 19. He's more physically mature than Jarnkrok for instance. And he doesn't "wow" you much, but is very effective at what he does. Can his effective game continue to be effective in the NHL as a good top6 player, without any apparent high-end skills? And can his skating continue to get better? Those are the questions for him. He's a very safe prospect, there's no doubt about that.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
I'm really excited to have this guy in Minnesota's prospect pool. It will be interesting to see how his game translates over in North America.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'm really excited to have this guy in Minnesota's prospect pool. It will be interesting to see how his game translates over in North America.
same

alot of us Wild fans believe besides Granlund (whose a lock) and maybe Brodin, Larsson has the best chance to make the Wild next year out of him, Zucker, Coyle, Phillips and Bulmer

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
BLBarmada

Larsson will be over in NA next year.... Why stay in Sweden ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

To further development. Hes still a young player. For some people its better to stay in Sweden and play top minutes than go to the AHL. Plus, its a grind to be in the NHL. I think this is the perfect time for him to come over. Either playing a third line nhl role if he wows out of camp, or top 6 minutes with the Aeros.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

He will be playing in North America next season. Fletcher has made that abundantly clear. As someone mentioned, us Wild fans believe he has a shot at making the NHL team next year. However, he'll need to beat out a more firmly entrenched (and already playing in NA) Brett Bulmer to earn a spot on the roster. I expect he'll start the season in Houston and be the first call up for bottom 6 roles. He might be able to fight for a top 6 spot as well, but that would mean beating out Zucker and Coyle.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He will be playing in North America next season. Fletcher has made that abundantly clear. As someone mentioned, us Wild fans believe he has a shot at making the NHL team next year. However, he'll need to beat out a more firmly entrenched (and already playing in NA) Brett Bulmer to earn a spot on the roster. I expect he'll start the season in Houston and be the first call up for bottom 6 roles. He might be able to fight for a top 6 spot as well, but that would mean beating out Zucker and Coyle.
That won't he a difficult task for him... He's got nothing left to prove there...

Great pick by Fletcher... Even if he was a 2nd rounder....

The kids been in the SEL for 2 years... He'd rip it up next year...

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Snurrfint

Larsson might make the wild next season because of his non-swedish playing style. He is really good in the corners and digging pucks up while pushing other guys around.

Next season or the next after that he will be the 3rd line center. book it!

1-2-3 of koivu granlund and larsson

Snurrfint is offline   Reply With Quote