HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash vs. Parise; B. Ryan discussion

View Poll Results: Nash or Parise...Who should we go after?
Nash 23 13.77%
Parise 94 56.29%
Either one, doesnt matter 19 11.38%
Don't want either one 31 18.56%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:20 PM
beastly115

Parise, no question. He'd fit in perfectly with our team. Nash has a horrible contract and will cost us assets.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Neither please. The team is finally shedding that FA big spending stigma and has a very nice core of home-grown players.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
it would be interesting to see what number parise would wear. but regardless, i do not think his gross overpayment would be worth it unless his cap hit remains at 6-6.5 ABSOLUTELY NO MORE. give him a nice big contract, yes, much like the richards deal...but depending on the new CBA, id like to have parise. american, would be a former captain, and probably would fit into the nucleus of this team well.

as for nash, maybe a change of scenery is what he needs...hes got sick hands, can score nasty goals, hes huge, but i see him as a possible bust. then again, i dont follow CLB close enough to be able to formulate a solid opinion

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

On Parise, I think he is a much better fit on paper than he will actually be. He is a great "complimentary" player, but he is not a guy you can run an offense through. IMO he would not sniff his previous numbers with us.

Nash is much more what we need, but his cap hit is prohibitive and who knows what the trade market will be like. I certainly would not pay more than what we offered at the deadline to get him. But if for some reason he demands a trade here and only here (lowering the price) Sather should pull the trigger.

04-23-2012, 05:51 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Neither.

Explore the trade market for Ryan, per say.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
if i HAD to pick one it would be Parise, rather take a cap hit than take a cap hit AND lose prospects.
This^.
Would like to keep all our options open, and can consider Nash at discounted terms.
But the above is the most likely cost-benefit, although Parise probably signs elsewhere (unless he wants to stick it to LL + Debs) and it is unclear when/if Nash is moved cheaply.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mug25

Parise for sure.

Reasons?

Nash's price will not get lower.
Dubsinky's value has taken a nose dive. If they didn't accept the offer before when his value was somewhat decent, what do you think it would take now to get the deal done?

I dont want to see Stepan, McD, Girard or Staal go, especially for a guy who hasn't scored more than 40 goals in 4 seasons...

The team needs a consistent goal scorer, someone who will definitely put up 40+ goals a season consistently. I dont think Nash is the guy.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1stpMJe7p

Still want Nash?

The price is not going to drop.

Nash hasn't had a 40 goal season since 2008-09. 4 playoff games in his career. How can he be the final piece with 4 playoff games on his resume? Any team going into the playoffs with Nash will face doubts and questions about his lack of playoff experience.

Parise is going to Detroit.

The Rangers aren't the Sharks or the Canucks with a roster full of players in their 20s/early 30s. People are panicking too much. Blow up the team. Go trade for one player.
I totally agree with many posters here that I would not want to give up so much of our young talent for Nash. It would basically turn NYR into Columbus in order to acquire him. That said, I must point out that although he doesn't have NHL playoff experience he is one of the best performers for Team Canada in the Olympics on multiple occasions.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
On Parise, I think he is a much better fit on paper than he will actually be. He is a great "complimentary" player, but he is not a guy you can run an offense through. IMO he would not sniff his previous numbers with us.

Nash is much more what we need, but his cap hit is prohibitive and who knows what the trade market will be like. I certainly would not pay more than what we offered at the deadline to get him. But if for some reason he demands a trade here and only here (lowering the price) Sather should pull the trigger.
Welp, good thing we have those Gaborik and Richards guys.

We need SECONDARY scoring from a winger. Who can do that better than Parise that won't cost us a ton of assets in prospects?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I agree that the Parise Nash debate is rigged in favor of Parise. Cash will always win out over giving up prospects.

Dubi, Kreider, DZ, and a no 1possibly will get the deal done. There will be more bidders in the off season as cap money can be freed up over the Summer. Teams with disappointing finishes will be more apt to pull the trigger. I still believe that Sather would rather let the next GM pull the trigger on any 'big deals".
There may be more bidders, but it will ultimately come down to where Nash wants to go. That will take teams out of it.

If they didn't part with DZ or Kreider (let alone both) at the deadline, why would they this offseason?

04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
racer90

id rather take parise.

i also think Vanek might be worth targeting if parise doesn't work

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

From an outsiders perspective that player you need is Ryan Getzlaf. You guys need size in the middle who can win faceoffs.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Calad
Section 422

I'd rather nash of the 2, but i don't want either of them anywhere near here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
From an outsiders perspective that player you need is Ryan Getzlaf. You guys need size in the middle who can win faceoffs.
I like the way this guy thinks

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
It's nice that names like Getzlaf and Ryan are being thrown into this, but they're not exactly readily available.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
There may be more bidders, but it will ultimately come down to where Nash wants to go. That will take teams out of it.

If they didn't part with DZ or Kreider (let alone both) at the deadline, why would they this offseason?
who's to say the value they want for DZ or Kreider won't be there in the offseason while it wasn't at the deadline?

Old
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

Completely agree with you on Parise. The thing with him is that he's an amazing player, no doubt about it, but his whole game is about outworking people and going 110% balls to the wall on every shift. I love the guy, he's been my favorite player since his freshman year at UND when I lived in the dorms with him, but aside from Tampa in '07, his playoff performances leave a lot to be desired. When the playoffs roll around and the intensity picks up/you have to fight for every inch he is often neutralized. Especially when you're facing the same team so many times in a row.

I would love for him to stay here, but if he leaves he leaves. We haven't been out of the first round in half a decade and the blue line is the main reason why. It has to be addressed if we ever want to be contenders again.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
who's to say the value they want for DZ or Kreider won't be there in the offseason while it wasn't at the deadline?
Huh? I have no idea what you're asking.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I voted for Parise, under the assumption that quite a few very useful will have to be sent to Columbus to bring back Nash.

If Sather can get it done for pieces that should be moved anyway, as they can be replaced from within the system, then Nash would be my choice over Zach.

If the trade requires movement of MDZ, Kreider, Hagelin, or McD… then I'd prefer to keep what we have and go after Zach.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Huh? I have no idea what you're asking.
The Rangers may find much better value for those players in the offseason than at the deadline, hence why they may have not made a deal at the deadline but then go ahead and deal them in the offseason.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The Rangers may find much better value for those players in the offseason than at the deadline, hence why they may have not made a deal at the deadline but then go ahead and deal them in the offseason.
I'm talking about in a deal for Nash.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Parise isn't coming here, and the price for Nash means he's not coming here either.

In a dream scenario, we'd sign Parise, then trade Dubi+ for an offensive d-man.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Trading for Nash would be a mistake of an intergalactic magnitude. Too much to give up for a player who isn't good enough to warrant such a package and carries an absolutely atrocious contract.

Parise is a great player. Would love to have him on my team, just not for the cap hit he is going to command, especially when he isn't really what the Rangers need. It's kind of like the Drury situation. He's a good player who I would have loved to have on my team, just not for the price. Parise is a better player than Drury, but they and their styles of play do share certain similarities.

There are other, more suitable avenues to pursue, and most will probably be more affordable.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Trading for Nash would be a mistake of an intergalactic magnitude. Too much to give up for a player who isn't good enough to warrant such a package and carries an absolutely atrocious contract.

Parise is a great player. Would love to have him on my team, just not for the cap hit he is going to command, especially when he isn't really what the Rangers need. It's kind of like the Drury situation. He's a good player who I would have loved to have on my team, just not for the price. Parise is a better player than Drury, but they and their styles of play do share certain similarities.

There are other, more suitable avenues to pursue, and most will probably be more affordable.
Such as?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Bobby Ryan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote