HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Senators | Game 6 |

Old
04-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

vCash: 500
Oh oh possible trouble in fairy tale land!!!

Watching TSN on SportsCentre while doing something else but caught the gist of their comments. They showed a few game clips and said that Spezza was benched for over 6 minutes at the beginning of the 3rd including the pp and only had 3 shifts in the first 15 minutes of the period. Spezza only commented on the pp part and didn't discuss any missed shifts saying Stache wanted to try different players since the pp wasn't working.They said Alfie too didn't get a shift for almost 5 minutes at the same time including the missed pp. They say Alfie had his meltdown right after his first shift upon returning to the bench. I wasn't paying attention to who was on the ice early in the 3rd so I'd have to see the game replay but all will not go well if Stache embarrassed Alfie and he loses the confidence of 2 leaders.

Checked the tape of the 3rd:

1st shift Smith Neil Greening
2nd shift Konopka JOB Condra
3rd shift Turris Silf Foligno
3 shifts and total time elapsed 1:44

A penalty on Prust for tripping Turris was called with 18:16 left in the period

Turris Neil Foligno started the pp
Smith Konopka and Silf took the 2nd pp shift
Turris Neil Foligno came back out with seconds left in the pp and took the next shift but Turris took a slashing penalty with 15:49 left in the period.
The total elapsed time by this time was 4:11 without Spezza or Alfie

The 1st PK shift was taken by Konopka and JOB
Then Michalek and Alfie took over the pk with roughly 15:13 left in the 3rd and played about 37 seconds until there was about 14:36 left in the period
Condra and Smith took the next PK shift and went off with 13:57 remaining and 8 seconds left on the pk
Konopka and JOB were on the ice when Turris returned so they played a really bad shift together until Andy made the save with 13:10 left in the period.

At this point they showed a closeup of Alfie on the bench who looked very serious just as the scene faded for commercials.

After the commercials they showed Alfie on the ice for his first 5 on 5 shift but they also showed a replay of his meltdown when he had come off the ice during the pk. The scene had happened out of camera range so it's the 1st time we saw it. Poor Greening and Silf who were flanking Alfie didn't know what to make of it. When they came back from showing the replay we finally saw that Spezza too was on the ice for his first shift of the 3rd with Alfie and Michalek. So Spezza had not played the first 6:50 of the 3rd while Alfie had sat the first 4:47 and had only had 1 pk shift in almost the 1st seven minutes.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Baba Booey
Rookie User

Can anyone give me a recap of what happened in this game? I didnt see it.

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'm pushing the boat out, but I don't care...

As long as Neil stays a senator, and doesn't get a suspension, that man deserves some kind of honour... I'm gonna go all the way and say he has his jersey retired...

Unlucky for losing the game lads! Still, now we've got the chance to ruin their day and steal it from their rink!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:46 AM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post

Watching TSN on SportsCentre while doing something else but caught the gist of their comments. They showed a few game clips and said that Spezza was benched for over 6 minutes at the beginning of the 3rd including the pp and only had 3 shifts in the first 15 minutes of the period. Spezza only commented on the pp part and didn't discuss any missed shifts saying Stache wanted to try different players since the pp wasn't working.They said Alfie too didn't get a shift for almost 5 minutes at the same time including the missed pp. They say Alfie had his meltdown right after his first shift upon returning to the bench. I wasn't paying attention to who was on the ice early in the 3rd so I'd have to see the game replay but all will not go well if Stache embarrassed Alfie and he loses the confidence of 2 leaders.

Turris Neil Foligno came back out with seconds left in the pp and took the next shift but Turris took a slashing penalty with 15:49 left in the period.

Then Michalek and Alfie took over the pk with roughly 15:13 left in the 3rd and played about 37 seconds until there was about 14:36 left in the period
Condra and Smith took the next PK shift and went off with 13:57 remaining and 8 seconds left on the pk
Konopka and JOB were on the ice when Turris returned so they played a really bad shift together until Andy made the save with 13:10 left in the period.

At this point they showed a closeup of Alfie on the bench who looked very serious just as the scene faded for commercials.

After the commercials they showed Alfie on the ice for his first 5 on 5 shift but they also showed a replay of his meltdown when he had come off the ice during the pk. The scene had happened out of camera range so it's the 1st time we saw it. Poor Greening and Silf who were flanking Alfie didn't know what to make of it. When they came back from showing the replay we finally saw that Spezza too was on the ice for his first shift of the 3rd with Alfie and Michalek. So Spezza had not played the first 6:50 of the 3rd while Alfie had sat the first 4:47 and had only had 1 pk shift in almost the 1st seven minutes.
You're really reaching here

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:14 AM
DeVoice

Wow Alfie was showing emotion for 2 reasons.
1 he is a passionate player
2 he did have 2 great chances to bury pucks but to no avail. Its hard to get pucks in tight to the goalie when every rag on the team dives to block or slashes and hacks like crazy.
the second period was a cluster f*%& of bad calls that drained the sens.

DeVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Suiteness

This reminded me of Alfie's implosion in game 4 of the Stanely Cup final against the Ducks.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:53 AM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Im just happy its going 7. Not many people predicted it
You're happy the sens lost game 6?

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:07 AM
kolider

Quote:

More detail please. I couldn't follow this. Can you add a bit of the minutiae of the game to your explanation, I may get a better grasp of what happened that way.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

If Alfredsson is really mad about being benched he needs to grow the **** up. This team used to be a coach eater, and right now MacLean is bigger than any individual player and he should be. He's done great things. Suck it up and play for the team, not for yourself.

Although in their situations I would have been infuriated with the reffing and the way the game was going so that could have easily been the reason that he was mad.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud SENS Fan!!!!!

SENS in 7!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:44 AM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

"Frustration is a useless emotion" - Coach MacLean after last night's game.

Such an epic, epic quote.

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Karl Pilkington

Habs fan here..

I've never seen a whinier team than NYR... holy lord.. Torts... man that team will never win a championship when they put so much energy into

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Just need to be a little more disciplined, both in the not-drawing-penalties sense and in the stick-to-your-defensive-assignments sense.

Also, I have increasingly noticed that Spezz plays wing in our zone and Michalek's doing the center's work. Good work, whoever first mentioned it.
This has been happening for a while now - at the very least since Game 1. Even Silfverberg last night took some of the centre responsibilities by covering the forward deep in the zone while Spezza stayed out at the point.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
If Alfredsson is really mad about being benched he needs to grow the **** up. This team used to be a coach eater, and right now MacLean is bigger than any individual player and he should be. He's done great things. Suck it up and play for the team, not for yourself.

Although in their situations I would have been infuriated with the reffing and the way the game was going so that could have easily been the reason that he was mad.
I don't think he was mad at being benched, I'd say it was probably more frustration at this series slipping away from them. As I said earlier, it's quite similar to his blowup in game 4 of the cup finals against the Ducks.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Droc
Classless

I put this on the coach. He let the game get away from him and we paid for it.
The officiating killed us, no doubt, but you could see the team unravel and everything fell apart. Benching Spezza, not putting out our top 2 PP lines at the most critical time, Alfie's meltdown...Mclean needed to take a timeout and calm the guys down.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Pierre mcguire just said on team 1200 that foligno was pushed in. that it was a makeup call.

Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
"Frustration is a useless emotion" - Coach MacLean after last night's game.

Such an epic, epic quote.
This is why MacLean is perfect coach for our young team, his stache' has infinite wisdom.

Okay the day after and most of the anger is gone. If they stay out of the box and keep challening them on even strength I really think this team could win in MSG for a third time this series. Spezza tries hard but I really think he got to have more of a shooter mentality this next game.. he has the best shot among our forwards but he have been looking to pass all series.

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Flamingo

Over the past couple of day's, I've been a bit concerned with Spezza's responses to coaching. On the bench, is he just full of screwed up with determination when he turns away mid-sentence, or is he tuning Paul out? And in a recent interview he said they don't always see eye-to-eye, but he does a little of what he wants, and a little of what Paul says.

Spezza's got to listen to coach.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:39 AM
senators101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I put this on the coach. He let the game get away from him and we paid for it.
The officiating killed us, no doubt, but you could see the team unravel and everything fell apart. Benching Spezza, not putting out our top 2 PP lines at the most critical time, Alfie's meltdown...Mclean needed to take a timeout and calm the guys down.
It wasn't the coach's fault that our team stopped skating at the end of the second. That 3rd goal was a dagger and deflated us while giving them so much momentum going into the 3rd. We needed to get out of that period 2-1 but the team blew it.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
You're really reaching here
A TSN commentator played the video and implied an issue not me
imo it was Spezza's poor play on the Ranger's 3rd goal that caused the problem and made Stache send a message that he wasn't happy with Spezza. Alfie was collateral damage when Stache gave Silf a shift with Turris.

Last edited by Tundraman: 04-24-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Indrew

Consistency will come with time and experience. The gap between the teams good and bad play is too wide. They can't afford to come unravelled for even 5 minutes or else they get burned for 2 goals.

Happened in games 1 4 and yesterday.

Game 7 here we come. I still can't believe the team made it this far.

I'm not a fan of referees that take into account make up calls and pick and choose penalties based on the time of game. Just call what you see, who cares if you messed up earlier. That late hit on Karlsson had me fuming.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Yea I dont understand this. Those are a bunch of Pro hockey players out there, with a little luck like a bounce going our way why cant we win Game 7. We went 3-1 against them in the regular season and weve split 6 games in this series. We werent suppose to be here but we are and I dont think this team is as bad as everyone thought, now its down to 1 game. The Florida Panthers and NYI never went 0-82 and they had 10 bottom 6 forwards some years.
No, you're right and what I wrote was mostly just out of being incredibly deflated. Sometimes I think I emotionally invest myself way too much into the games. I spent yesterday barely able to focus on any last minute studying, and came out of my 2nd exam in a day to see we had a one goal lead, only to get to my friend's house in time to see them fall apart.

They have just as much of a chance on Thursday, there's no reason why they can't win it. I'm a bit jaded though by the amount of times I've seen lose a game 6 and and then go on to lose game 7. Here's hoping they reverse that trend on Thursday.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
OgieO

On thing I see as a positive is that we had a lot of players play poorly in game 6. Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie, Kuba, Gonchar, Condra, Greening and Michalek all played poorly. I might even be missing someone.

So despite basically all of our key guys not playing well, we were a crappy 5 minutes of hockey (aided by refs) away from winning that game. I suspect we won't be that bad again in game 7. We can do this. We will do this. I like the spirit of this team.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:59 AM
pt_mck

Quote:

It is more of a strategic move than a message to Spezza.

I think Maclean was trying to use the energy lines to establish a tempo and establish presence in the offensive zone before sending out the offensive weapons.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
Pierre mcguire just said on team 1200 that foligno was pushed in. that it was a makeup call.
Of course he was. There were two Rangers on him. Not sure what Foligno was supposed to do in that situation.

That being said - the refs aren't the reason we lost. We stopped playing our game, stopped skating, and the Rangers got that 3rd goal and killed any chance we had.

Quite frustrating to watch. We were getting worse while Rangers were getting better. Felt like we literally handed them that game after seemingly having control at the beginning.

Hopefully we play a full 60 minutes on Thursday.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm proud of a team that's made it this far.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote