HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wearing Chest/Shoulder Protection

Old
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
hyster110

vCash: 500
i use the
Jofa Senior 9800 Shoulder Pads and i find they are the best balance between protection and lightness

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
sanityplease

I played one game this year without them on. Took a shot in the stomach, cross-check in the middle of my back & two guys stepped in front of me when I was moving fast (not sure if they were trying to hit me or not, sure seemed like it).

Another guy didn't wear his one game & took a puck right on the shoulder bone while sitting on the bench.

I'll be keeping mine on. When the game starts I don't even realize I have them on anyways.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Steelhead16

Pretty close to ones I wore in Junior. Not much point. I remember putting them in the washing machine once and they came out in 3 pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg braden.jpg‎ (21.8 KB, 42 views)

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
ironranger

I never used to wear shoulder pads until this year. I was playing in a no contact game but in the process of going for the puck hard with another guy right by the players bench he tripped and hit me hard into the boards.

Long story short I ruptured my spleen and had to have emergency surgery to get it removed, missed most of this season and now I wear reebok 4k's (like jarick) that offer good protection

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
I wear shoulder pads for pick up, sometimes you get idiots out there who get the puck at the point and take slapshots without the ability to control the height of it, there have been a few at head height with people not wearing visors or cages, getting hit in the ribs or the chest can really injure you. Also like other posters have said you can get tripped up skating for the puck and go into the boards. You don't need massive football like shoulder pads but get something with some padding.

Playerwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I highly recommend trying out the Graf G700 shoulder pad. I think it's really light weight and slim, yet gives an adequate amount of protection if you're aggressive player or if you're playing against aggressive players.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Fanned On It

When I first started playing men's league I didn't wear any chest/shoulder protection but now I wear the Sherwood 5030s like Jarick posted.. not much protection but it's better than nothing. I've also heard about kid's hearts getting stopped from hard shots to the sternum and it made me nervous so I threw something on.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Gibson19

In one league I play defense so sometimes I'll get a random puck to the chest (or have a guy headbutt me). It's nice for the battle in front of the net.

In my other league I play center and am none of my teammates that have a good slapshot send them high from the point. I've never had it bite me in the ass. I once got upended by a goalie and did a flip. Ref came up and said "That's why you gotta wear shoulder pads". I was fine though. I can usually work my way out of accidental collisions in that league as well so I'll continue to not wear shoulder pads in that league.

Definitely always wear elbow pads though.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
In ice hockey yes, In roller hockey no.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:13 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoVonMatterhorn View Post
In ice hockey yes, In roller hockey no.
+1.

I know a few guys who play ice with the inline padded shirts, but as Jarick said earlier, I do not feel my shoulder pads (Easton ST6) are restrictive, heavy or not breathing. I do not really realize them once they're on, even though I play the occasional inline game without any shoulder protection on.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
dpixel8

Mostly always. Same thing with a half shield vs. cage. I will practice/open without shoulders sometimes and using one of my helmets with a half shield or no shield, but in games or team practice, always wear shoulders and cage. I look at it this way: I'm a grown adult, I run my own business, I enjoy my teeth and my body, and above all I PAY to play, not the other way around. So I like to go home afterwards rather than a trip to the ER.

Just my $0.02

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
+1.

I know a few guys who play ice with the inline padded shirts, but as Jarick said earlier, I do not feel my shoulder pads (Easton ST6) are restrictive, heavy or not breathing. I do not really realize them once they're on, even though I play the occasional inline game without any shoulder protection on.

I'll wear inline shorts (not shirts) sometimes under sweat pants, still with shin guards and a cup, for practice or pickup games. However I've found that without the weight of the breezers, I feel a lot faster which then inhibits my game play later on. Unless it's psychological. Not sure.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:19 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
I'll wear inline shorts (not shirts) sometimes under sweat pants, still with shin guards and a cup, for practice or pickup games. However I've found that without the weight of the breezers, I feel a lot faster which then inhibits my game play later on. Unless it's psychological. Not sure.
I think it is due to the fact that the icehockey gear just simply weigh that much more. I also realized it last summer, when the rink I usually play at was closed due to some maintenance, and I could only play roller for a few months. When later I put on my icehockey gear I was like holy ****, I am not even able to walk in this stuff. I needed about 2-3 weeks before I could deliver my normal stamina on the ice.

I thought about using some of the old icehockey stuff I have for roller, but they're just too friggin warm.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
Mostly always. Same thing with a half shield vs. cage. I will practice/open without shoulders sometimes and using one of my helmets with a half shield or no shield, but in games or team practice, always wear shoulders and cage. I look at it this way: I'm a grown adult, I run my own business, I enjoy my teeth and my body, and above all I PAY to play, not the other way around. So I like to go home afterwards rather than a trip to the ER.

Just my $0.02
I've always thought about getting a spare helmet. But otherwise my routines are the exact same as yours. At stick times or open skates I only wear my helmet (with cage) when they are required. Aside from safety, I like wearing a lid because it does keep my head nice and warm. I tried wearing toques and caps and they just feel uncomfortable as hell after a while.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:48 AM
FOOTE
bloody hell

I want something reasonably strong to cover my heart so I always wear shoulder pads.

FOOTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:57 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
I think it is due to the fact that the icehockey gear just simply weigh that much more. I also realized it last summer, when the rink I usually play at was closed due to some maintenance, and I could only play roller for a few months. When later I put on my icehockey gear I was like holy ****, I am not even able to walk in this stuff. I needed about 2-3 weeks before I could deliver my normal stamina on the ice.

I thought about using some of the old icehockey stuff I have for roller, but they're just too friggin warm.
Oh I know it's because my regular gear is heavier. I was just making a sarcastic comment about the psychological part. That's why I don't play inline either though. Can't stand the transition over on the skate-side of thing. So I just play on ice all year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I've always thought about getting a spare helmet. But otherwise my routines are the exact same as yours. At stick times or open skates I only wear my helmet (with cage) when they are required. Aside from safety, I like wearing a lid because it does keep my head nice and warm. I tried wearing toques and caps and they just feel uncomfortable as hell after a while.
I will rarely even NOT wear a helmet just skating on the pond passing around with some buddies. And I just picked a matching helmet up, think it was $60 or something for another. Small insurance when I don't need a full cage.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:59 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

so awsome not wearing them.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Now I'm wearing these Reebok 4k's:

What you can't really see is that the shoulder/chest/back piece is separate from the torso piece and connected with stretchy material. This means the upper piece moves with your shoulders and the torso piece stays flat on the body. The M-1's and some Itechs I tried would ride up and hit my cage on faceoffs, but not these ones.

It has far more coverage than the 5030's but it doesn't feel much heavier. I don't notice them at all during games. They also are not much hotter than the 5030's, nowhere near as hot as the M-1's or some Vapor shoulder pads I was using at one point. The additional padding on the belly and low back is nice for errant shots and there are big inserts on the chest and spine for extra protection.

The shoulder caps, if you compare to the 5030's, do come out a little wider, but if you compare to the M-1's (and most shoulder pads from several years ago) they are level with the neck, not coming up, so they don't have that "football player" look to them. The caps also are more contoured and not sticking out to the sides, again for a more natural look under the jersey.
i'm glad you like the 4ks, i just ordered the reebok 5ks yesterday through the mail

they look like they give ample protection and don't feel too bulky
i tried on some reebok models in stores previously

do you use reebok elbow pads? i'm thinking about getting the 7ks

i'd get reebok shin pads as well but i need the 18'' so i'll have to get a bauer model that makes them in that size, like the one80s

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
i'm glad you like the 4ks, i just ordered the reebok 5ks yesterday through the mail

they look like they give ample protection and don't feel too bulky
i tried on some reebok models in stores previously

do you use reebok elbow pads? i'm thinking about getting the 7ks

i'd get reebok shin pads as well but i need the 18'' so i'll have to get a bauer model that makes them in that size, like the one80s
Yes love the 4k's, just need to drop 20 pounds so I fit them better again

I use a pair of 7k Pro elbows. The Reeboks are okay but the elbow tabs limit mobility and they lack coverage IMO. I'm not happy with anything at retail since trying the 7k Pros.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
mug25

I started playing Indoor Roller and wore no shoulder pads.

Took a 5 year break and started ice. I initially wore shoulder pads then one day I forgot them at home and played a game without them...ever since then, I went without them.

Recently though, I started wearing them again. I got tired of taking pucks to the collar bone and also a little annoyed with pucks to the back. I'm also blocking shots now. Seeing as I've gotten MUCH better, I find that I'm getting into higher traffic areas, getting into passing/shooting lanes and I think it's stupid NOT to wear proper padding.

As my Dad says..."You dont get paid to play. You're just out there to have fun".

I wear these

but am considering switching to another pair that I have lying around...

http://images.totalhockey.com/img.as...=41&pic_type=5

Last edited by mug25: 04-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
emgsa85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
It's because head/eye injuries are far more permanent than chest or shoulder injuries. Get hit in the eye, your eye is gone for good. Get your brain concussed, who knows how long you'll be gone for.

Get a dislocated shoulder or a broken rib, you'll be good in a few weeks.
Obviously you've never dislocated a shoulder before... Dislocated shoulders usually tear cartlidge/stretch ligaments which means chronic dislocations without surgery. 4 month recovery time at least if you have surgery dude. Dont know much about the rib statement because I haven't broken one of those.

emgsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
pads nowdays are sooo light
for some reason i feel it's easier to dry too, so.. less smell

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:21 AM
TieClark

It's just about getting used to them imo... I wear full gear because I always have worn full gear and I don't even notice I'm wearing anything when I play. I understand someone not wearing any shoulder pads trying to put some on and play but you'll get used to them in time

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
There's really just so many unfounded assumptions here. You're trying to shoehorn the 5030s into this dude's question. The 5030s are great for lots of players, but I certainly wouldn't call them above average protection.
I just spit those out because that's what I use personally and what I have experience with. But there are a lot of similar pads out by the various hockey companies that offer a little bit more in terms of protection while giving you that range of motion.

In my experience people get all too consumed with how good the protection is they don't realize they sacrificed a lot of comfort and a lot of times it could restrict the way you move because of that. You want the shoulder pad to conform to you not the other way around and I feel that gets lost a lot of the time.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:50 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I just spit those out because that's what I use personally and what I have experience with. But there are a lot of similar pads out by the various hockey companies that offer a little bit more in terms of protection while giving you that range of motion.

In my experience people get all too consumed with how good the protection is they don't realize they sacrificed a lot of comfort and a lot of times it could restrict the way you move because of that. You want the shoulder pad to conform to you not the other way around and I feel that gets lost a lot of the time.
With many of the newer pads, most people do not have complaints about mobility.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote