HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Leino article

Old
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
To bring this around to the $3 billion question: knowing Darcy as I do, does he seem like the kind of guy who would normally have made this mistake?
there fixed that for you

The way you look at Darcy, is different than I look at Darcy, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Buuuut to play along .... Darcy is a human. Too err is human. Is it possible? ... Yes.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
I completely agree that Ruff's goaltenders make him. If they're not elite by the league's standards, Ruff is miraculously not a genius.

Hasek made him. Biron helped to expose him, but the bankruptcy and criminal ownership masked Ruff's incompetence. The lockout/rule changes were sheer luck, considering a roster that was made up of smaller, very quick, highly skilled players. As the league has reverted back to allowing obstruction, allowing clutching and grabbing, Ruff is no longer a genius again *UNLESS* Ryan Miller has a Vezina-esque season.

As for Leino on the powerplay, you're probably right. It's not a very strong argument against Ruff's coaching ability. That's not to say it may have at least a little merit, however. Just another small example that adds up to the bigger picture. It all ties into his relationship with his players.
Marty Biron exposed nothing. He was never a bona fide starting goaltender.

I also fail to see how Leino failing to produce on the power play reflects on the coach. If you can't product more than 1 point in 75 minutes of PP icetime, you don't deserve to get more time, and Ruff was right not to play him there. Even Boyes, who had a TERRBLE offensive season by any standards, scored 8 points in 129 minutes.

With these numbers, I'd criticize the crap out of Ruff if he DID give Leino more PP ice.

Produce and play. Don't produce, you watch. Simple.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
there fixed that for you

The way you look at Darcy, is different than I look at Darcy, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Buuuut to play along .... Darcy is a human. Too err is human. Is it possible? ... Yes.
Do you think there would be that much disagreement that Darcy has never believed in July 1?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
joshjull

I may be the only one but I got a kick out of Leino's comments. I'm also not worried about him as player on this team either. At least not yet. Its not uncommon for a player to have a hard time adjusting to a new team and role.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I may be the only one but I got a kick out of Leino's comments. I'm also not worried about him as player on this team either. At least not yet. Its not uncommon for a player to have a hard time adjusting to a new team and role.
I'm worried that it was him regressing to his mean and that 10/11 was merely an outlier.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm worried that it was him regressing to his mean and that 10/11 was merely an outlier.
I don't know if there is a big enough sample size either way to make that assertion. He had played in only 55 regular season games and 7 playoff games with the Red Wings before getting traded to the Flyers. Then played 94 regular season games and 30 playoff games with the Flyers before signing with us.

Most of his time with the Wings his production was meh. Most of his time with the Flyers his production was pretty good. That includes 4 very strong playoff series (3 in the 09-10 playoffs and 1 in the 10-11 playoffs) out of 5 that he played in. That includes his amazing performance in the Cup Finals (6gms 3g 6a 9pts +6). Then he had his meh season with us.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't know if there is a big enough sample size either way to make that assertion. He had played in only 55 regular season games and 7 playoff games with the Red Wings before getting traded to the Flyers. Then played 94 regular season games and 30 playoff games with the Flyers before signing with us.

Most of his time with the Wings his production was meh. Most of his time with the Flyers his production was pretty good. That includes 4 very strong playoff series (3 in the 09-10 playoffs and 1 in the 10-11 playoffs) out of 5 that he played in. That includes his amazing performance in the Cup Finals (6gms 3g 6a 9pts +6). Then he had his meh season with us.
His 11/12 ppg was pretty close to his NHL regular season career PPG prior to 10/11.

The overall small sample size of his NHL career was one reason why I didn't like the signing.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
You think the Sabres didn't do research on any forwards beyond Brad Richards? Considering Leino was #1 on the UFA list...
That speaks volumes about the quality of players on the list. Logic and common sense took a backseat to a childish emotional need to be seen as big players in the free agent market. If they actually did do research, heads should roll.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
That speaks volumes about the quality of players on the list. Logic and common sense took a backseat to a childish emotional need to be seen as big players in the free agent market. If they actually did do research, heads should roll.
I applaud them for taking a risk. Annoyed at how many they overpaid. Deep pocket teams have options to get out of mistakes. Sabres have time before they must explore those options.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
thats a perfect summary... either way, they are idiots

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He was on a line with 2 big time players for most of that season, and the playoffs. So he's shown the ability to be a good contributer, but how much help he needs, is the critical question. Their apparent fault might reside with their lofty expectations of the players they already had. I think the injury to Ennis REALLY impacted Leino's start and the frustration seemed to crush him.

I'm willing to view "next seasons Leino" with a clean slate, and hope that he can find some chemistry with skilled forwards and produce better results.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'm willing to view "next seasons Leino" with a clean slate, and hope that he can find some chemistry with skilled forwards and produce better results.
The thing is you won't view Leino with a clean slate ... No one can or will. His body of work as a Sabre has been written and can't be erased. I hope (and almost expect) him to have a 50-75% bump from this past seasons numbers. But patience will be thin for Leino with most fans.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The thing is you won't view Leino with a clean slate ... No one can or will. His body of work as a Sabre has been written and can't be erased. I hope (and almost expect) him to have a 50-75% bump from this past seasons numbers. But patience will be thin for Leino with most fans.
I think the powers that be, unlike the fans, are very good at clean slates.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:46 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Do you think there would be that much disagreement that Darcy has never believed in July 1?
I'd disagree with that sentiment. I think he previously was not a big player on July 1st because he didn't have the financial/philosophical backing to support those actions.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:55 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Have to say. Not Leino's biggest fan, but enjoyed this piece.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote