HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

vCash: 500
Just saw highlights of his season at wisconsin....he is pretty good, I know its a highlight reel, but shows good talent. Hopefully Ducks dont sign him and he comes to MSG baby.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

It doesn't hurt to bring him in, but it certainly means that one of our Dmen will go bye bye if he comes here.

Sauer is a possibility. I think Giraridi would give us a great return and I think we can survive without him.

Not trying to minimize Girardi's impact, but I think Staal with a proper camp is just as good if not better.

Course, I am not sure how far away Schultz is from being NHL ready.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Terrible situation for Anaheim. I really hope he signs with them. The Blake Wheeler thing, now this...these are terrible precedents to set. League needs to put a stop to this thing. You're supposed to earn the right to choose where you play after a number of years, not before you ever set skate on NHL ice.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Terrible situation for Anaheim. I really hope he signs with them. The Blake Wheeler thing, now this...these are terrible precedents to set. League needs to put a stop to this thing. You're supposed to earn the right to choose where you play after a number of years, not before you ever set skate on NHL ice.
Baseball does it and so does football.

Not players fault. Maybe ducks didn't show him love

Old
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Never hurts to have depth. Who thought we'd need to see Woywitka, Eminger, Bickel and Stralman on a regular basis?

Don't worry about who fits where, or who we might have to move. That stuff will work itself out.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Never hurts to have depth. Who thought we'd need to see Woywitka, Eminger, Bickel and Stralman on a regular basis?

Don't worry about who fits where, or who we might have to move. That stuff will work itself out.
Stralman might very well be a long term fixture here. At the very least he has earned himself to be our 7th Dman next season.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Stralman might very well be a long term fixture here. At the very least he has earned himself to be our 7th Dman next season.
Oh, I absolutely agree. The point is, who saw that coming prior to his signing? Our defense was more or less set for the year. But **** happens, and your depth becomes incredibly valuable.

Sign everyone up and let it work itself out.

It's just pain.
Old
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Stralman should definitely be re-signed. Much better than Eminger, Woywitka, or Bickel. McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Del Zotto, and Stralman is what I'd like to see next year, depending on what happens with Erixon. If you can sign Schultz, then possibly look at moving Girardi.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Stralman should definitely be re-signed. Much better than Eminger, Woywitka, or Bickel. McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Del Zotto, and Stralman is what I'd like to see next year, depending on what happens with Erixon. If you can sign Schultz, then possibly look at moving Girardi.
Not to mention they need to go on the look out for a Dman with a booming shot to be the trigger man on the PP.

Maybe Erixon is that guy(McD might even be that guy-Torts doesn't play him), but I don't know how long he is consistently with the club. He needs to get considerably stronger.

Its funny but there are too many PPQB on our points right now. I remember last season we didn't have any.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Also, the organization may as well move Vtank in the offseason. I don't think he is ever going to make the club. Might as well send him to a team that can use him and give us a low draft pick or something.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
disagree entirely. girardi and schultz bring entirely different games and there is no guarantee that he will blossom. what schultz could do is fill much needed right hand depth.

imo(and yes, mcdonagh is downshifted because i think he'll have way better chemistry with schultz than girardi, and defensively schultz isn't ready to be top 2)

girardi/staal
schultz/mcdonagh
del zotto/sauer

or trade del zotto and plug erixon in... otherwise trade erixon while he's not worthless. stralman or bickel works as a 7th/8th. if we get bickel under a mil he's no doubt worth resigning as an 8th simply due to the fact that in a tight spot he's an emergency forward and he can throw/take a punch. bickel also hasn't really done anything THAT bad...his defensive partners have constantly made him look worse than he was over the past few months.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
NYR Viper

Erixon should definitely be a trigger man on the point on the PP. He not only has the shot, but also the vision to know where to put the puck be it for a shot on goal or a shot-pass.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
disagree entirely. girardi and schultz bring entirely different games and there is no guarantee that he will blossom. what schultz could do is fill much needed right hand depth.

imo(and yes, mcdonagh is downshifted because i think he'll have way better chemistry with schultz than girardi, and defensively schultz isn't ready to be top 2)

girardi/staal
schultz/mcdonagh
del zotto/sauer

or trade del zotto and plug erixon in... otherwise trade erixon while he's not worthless. stralman or bickel works as a 7th/8th. if we get bickel under a mil he's no doubt worth resigning as an 8th simply due to the fact that in a tight spot he's an emergency forward and he can throw/take a punch. bickel also hasn't really done anything THAT bad...his defensive partners have constantly made him look worse than he was over the past few months.
Bickel should not be resigned under any circumstance. Not when he is playing two minutes a night.

Stralman is a much better option than either Eminger, Woywtika, or Bickel.

As far as Girardi, its not that he is a bad defensemen or anything(he is an all star). But we could get a REALLY good return for him. I don't think he is a devastating loss once Sauer gets back, and with Erixon probably making the lineup. We need better scoring up front. Got to give to get.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:34 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Bickel should not be resigned under any circumstance. Not when he is playing two minutes a night.
That is what Torts chooses to play him in the playoffs. He got more ice time as a # 6 defenseman. he can play the role of a #6 quite well. And has.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is what Torts chooses to play him in the playoffs. He got more ice time as a # 6 defenseman. he can play the role of a #6 quite well. And has.
How is Sauer or Stralman not a better option?

Old
04-24-2012, 01:38 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I don't think he is a devastating loss once Sauer gets back, and with Erixon probably making the lineup. We need better scoring up front. Got to give to get.
First of all, Erixon is not anywhere near ready for the NHL. Second of all, your defensemen should play defense. Which is what Girardi dows. He has been the top defenseman for the team all year. One does not trade their top defenseman.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Mikos87

Never hurts to have high quality depth. If Sauer was healthy he would take Bickel's spot and play more minutes if need be. There would be nothing wrong with having 6+ defensemen that can play top 4 minutes effectively. When you've got a goalie as good as Lundqvist having great defensemen in front of him is a winning formula.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
I didn't say they were similar players. I said if we bring in Schultz we should trade Girardi because he's expendable (especially if Sauer gets healthy) while holding significant value. McDonagh is too good and young to trade, we can't afford to trade Del Zotto because of the lack of offense on the blueline, and frankly, I think Staal is better than Girardi. Erixon might have some value, but not like Girardi.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

As far as Girardi, its not that he is a bad defensemen or anything(he is an all star). But we could get a REALLY good return for him. I don't think he is a devastating loss once Sauer gets back, and with Erixon probably making the lineup. We need better scoring up front. Got to give to get.
Who says the Rangers can't sign both Stralman (RFA) and Bickel? What is wrong with keeping both around?

Old
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:

i understand where you're coming from, but imo it makes even more sense for him to stay with schultz.

schultz isn't(OR IS HE? :O) going to step in on the right side and be a top pairing guy fresh out of the minors.
there's not much i could see moving girardi for. torts likes him, the guys like him, and he hasn't done anything worth trading up.

right handed defensemen of girardi's caliber are tough to come by. i think girardi is pretty overrated (especially forced to play 30 minutes every night. can't possibly be good for his future), but he does exactly what we need him to. a top pair d-first, physical, talented d. now if it was girardi for somebody like weber? i'd probably consider it, but honestly he's the last guy we need to look to move.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Erixon should definitely be a trigger man on the point on the PP. He not only has the shot, but also the vision to know where to put the puck be it for a shot on goal or a shot-pass.
I agree!

Old
04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you can never have enough defenseman.

Weren't we without Staal, Sauer, and Eminger at one point?

Woywitka, Stralman and Bickel all in the lineup?

:-X

Old
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
First of all, Erixon is not anywhere near ready for the NHL. Second of all, your defensemen should play defense. Which is what Girardi dows. He has been the top defenseman for the team all year. One does not trade their top defenseman.
That is debatable. One solid off season and he could improve his strength quite a bit. He wouldn't have even seen a sniff of the NHL if he was "Nowhere Near" ready.

As far as trading our top defensemen, we aren't. McD is our top Dman. Staal would be back on the first pairing unit where he belongs.

We have a glut of Defensive depth and need more scoring up front. Girardi would give us a great return when his value is at an all time high.

You trade from strength. Especially if they are able to bring in a guy like Schultz(with McIlrtath a couple years away).

You can't keep all these guys.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Those Badger boys are a tight bunch

Brendan Smith tweet.

Quote:
Unreal game @DerekStepan21 and @RMcDonagh27 but better interview from Hank haha. I love the emotion
https://twitter.com/#!/bssmith7/stat...37784865189888

McDonagh has already spoken to Schultz.

McDonagh loves being a Ranger and playing in NY. I'm sure Schultz has asked or will ask questions to his buddies playing in the NHL in the near future

Quote:
Q: Sum up what it’s like being a New York Ranger.

A: It’s an unbelievable experience, but I think it’s a unique experience just with the whole city and the way that you travel ... getting to and from the Garden is an experience in itself every day. The way they treat you here — coaching staff and the owners, the way they have meals ready for you, and all the staff at the Garden here, they make coming to the rink and everything so much more enjoyable. ... It’s a place that at this stage of my career I know I never want to leave.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1sz926Yp2

Old
04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
How is Sauer or Stralman not a better option?
Who said that they aren't? And there were times where Bickel was better than Stralman.

Closed Thread