HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Series Talk - WCSF - #3 Phoenix Coyotes 4 vs #4 Nashville Predators 1

Old
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I like they idea that each division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot and then seeding is determined based on overall record.
abso****inglutely

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I like they idea that each division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot and then seeding is determined based on overall record.
Imagine the outcry if the NHL adopted the old baseball way of doing things ... win your division or no post season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Nitrous Mafia

flights to phoenix look to be about ~400+

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Imagine the outcry if the NHL adopted the old baseball way of doing things ... win your division or no post season.
That's not exactly the case. This year, us, detroit, and chicago would have still made the playoffs despite not winning the central. I just think it's BS that all of the 3 teams mentioned above had a better record than Phoenix, yet were seeded lower. Regardless, I am not trying to whine or make excuses. If you want to be the best, you just need to win no matter what. And we need to neutralize the Yotes home ice advantage.

EDIT and FYI:

What I am saying is the western conference seeding this year (uynder the way I prefer) would have been:

1. Vancouver
2. St. Louis
3. Nashville
4. Detroit
5. Chicago
6. Phoenix
7. San Jose
8. Los Angeles

Last edited by crossxcheck: 04-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

We never seem to play very well against Phoenix, but with that said I don't think there's any reason we shouldn't win this series. While they do remind me of us prior to this season, I also think we're better suited for the grind-it-out style of a seven game series. It's too bad this series will probably be on the bottom of everyone's totem pole because I think it will be a good one.

I wish the East would hurry up and get finished.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
That's not exactly the case. This year, us, detroit, and chicago would have still made the playoffs despite not winning the central. I just think it's BS that all of the 3 teams mentioned above had a better record than Phoenix, yet were seeded lower. Regardless, I am not trying to whine or make excuses. If you want to be the best, you just need to win no matter what. And we need to neutralize the Yotes home ice advantage.

EDIT and FYI:

What I am saying is the western conference seeding this year (uynder the way I prefer) would have been:

1. Vancouver
2. St. Louis
3. Nashville
4. Detroit
5. Chicago
6. Phoenix
7. San Jose
8. Los Angeles
Simple fact is the Yotes won their division ... we did not win ours. The Pacific's worst team won ten divisional games .... the Central all beat up on Columbus ... the NW all sucked.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Simple fact is the Yotes won their division ... we did not win ours. The Pacific's worst team won ten divisional games .... the Central all beat up on Columbus ... the NW all sucked.
Yeah, I think that's my problem too with not seeding division winners in the top 3 spots -- the unbalanced schedule. If you want to do something different like seeding based solely on record, I'd be for it only if they balance the schedule. That said, the fact that the Preds' division included extra games against the Blue Jackets didn't make up for the fact that their other extra division games were against very tough opponents.

But, in the end, I just don't think you can keep the schedule unbalanced and not make the division more meaningful. Just guaranteeing that a division winner makes the playoffs doesn't seem to be enough to me -- it's hard to imagine a division winner actually coming in 9th. I know it's been close a few times, but I don't think it's realistic, and to the extent it happens one day that miniscule possibility is not enough to keep divisions relevant. I actually am fine with unbalancing the schedule and taking the top 8. I know that's a much bigger deal, though, to fans in the NE USA and SE Canada.

With the current system, you sort of have to look at it over the long haul. Coyotes finished with something like 107 points a few years ago, and got tagged in 4th and had to play the red hot Wings. I think it balances over time. Where it gets bad is if you have two teams that are the conference's best by a wide margin in the same division year after year. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, for the third place team, it really only works in the second round if something unexpected happens, like an 8 beating a 1. And what does "works out" even mean? Road teams are dominating these playoffs.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Preds311

I am ok with how it is now. Teams that win their division should be rewarded for that.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
I am ok with how it is now. Teams that win their division should be rewarded for that.
Hypothetically, say a division REALLY tanks one year, and the #3 seed in the playoffs made it in with 58 points, while #8 had 94. You'd be OK with that?

I realize there's no real chance of it happening, but just the thought it could....

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Hypothetically, say a division REALLY tanks one year, and the #3 seed in the playoffs made it in with 58 points, while #8 had 94. You'd be OK with that?

I realize there's no real chance of it happening, but just the thought it could....
I mean the Southeast was lower than the Pacific this year. It'll never really be that bad. I could MAYBE see 85 or 87 winning it one year but that would be really hard to do. I guess it just is what it is. A team that weak getting a 3 seed would likely lose regardless of if all 7 games were in their building anyway.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

This is from the Tootoo, Yip, Smith, Halischuk thread but it's getting off topic so I'm replying to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
If you compare their season stats SK is better the Wilson in every but 2 categories ( shots and hits). In every other possible categories per game, per minutes on ES Wilson is behind. I don't see what is the argument about. People make assumptions that Wilson will do better, but they can't support it by anything. Smith is even better then Wilson at this point. If you would bench SK. Should be in Smith favor.

I smile at people saying SK is lazy and playing without any desire. Thou he gets put on PK and against top lines every game and manage to compete and be on good side with Trotz ( not easy to do if you are lazy and have bad attitude).
I never said anything about his drive or attitude if that's what you're assuming. He's been there defensively for us when it matters, and he was dynamic during the regular season offensively. Perhaps he's concentrating on being that 2-way guy rather than a pure offensive threat. Either way, Erat isn't going to shoot and Fisher hasn't had much puck luck. It's great that they're not being scored on, but we need the top line to get pucks on net if we're going up against Smith, a goalie that's equally as hot as Rinne.

There's no proof to the pudding in Wilson's play because he hasn't gotten the opportunity, it's as simple as that. Now that we're playing a team that is set up in a similar way with 4 scoring lines, and no superstar to shut down, if SK is ineffective offensively in the first 2 games, you have to think about putting Wilson or Smith on that top line.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Considering that will never happen, yes I am OK with that.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Series starts with Game 1 at Phoenix on Friday...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
PredsHockey

Cannot wait for game 1. Should be an even harder battle than the Wings. Those who think we can win in 4 should really watch what Phoenix has done. This is a strong defensive team with enough scoring to make it through (sound like somebody?). Tippett has this team exactly where he wants it and are a true Cup contender. In addition, Trotz always seems to have some problems with Tippett coached teams, so its going to be a ride. Seems like it will boil down to our PP vs their 8th ranked PK. However, its the playoffs and our PP didn't seem to matter much against the Wings....I'm going with Preds in 7, but not an easy road for sure.

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
There's no proof to the pudding in Wilson's play because he hasn't gotten the opportunity, it's as simple as that.

Wilson played in 68 regular season games this season. He had the opportunity and ended up shuffled down the depth chart below Bourque.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Wilson played in 68 regular season games this season. He had the opportunity and ended up shuffled down the depth chart below Bourque.
Key word, regular season. Playoffs can be a whole different monster. Look at Bergenheim last year for Tampa Bay, or Ward for us, Marchand for Boston, etc.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Key word, regular season. Playoffs can be a whole different monster. Look at Bergenheim last year for Tampa Bay, or Ward for us, Marchand for Boston, etc.
I'd love it if Wilson was living up to his draft position, but, he isn't. He simply isn't outperforming a single one of the top 6 wingers. It'd debatable that he's even the third choice for the one remaining 4th line wing spot.

Demonstrated performance >>>>> hopes.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
By your concept, the pacific was better than the central which is absolutely, positively, utterly false.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
flights to phoenix look to be about ~400+
Lemme know if you make it out there. If te predicted schedule is right, me and Predwings are gonna try to make it out from Vegas for game 2.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
By your concept, the pacific was better than the central which is absolutely, positively, utterly false.
I didn't say the pacific "better" ... but there is an argument for "tougher" in the regular season. We have a weak link in our division, they don't have that luxury.

A subjective ranking can be neither "absolutely, positively, utterly false" nor "absolutely, postitively" true. Objectively, 50% of the central's playoff teams advanced, 66.67% of the pacific's did ... including advancing against the President's Trophy winner and a Central Div team.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
PredsHockey

Quote:
i didn't say the pacific "better" ... But there is an argument for "tougher" in the regular season. We have a weak link in our division, they don't have that luxury.

A subjective ranking can be neither "absolutely, positively, utterly false" nor "absolutely, postitively" true. Objectively, 50% of the central's playoff teams advanced, 66.67% of the pacific's did ... Including advancing against the president's trophy winner and a central div team.
+10000

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I didn't say the pacific "better" ... but there is an argument for "tougher" in the regular season. We have a weak link in our division, they don't have that luxury.
Yeah I agree. Just because PHX won the division with a low point total doesn't make them or the division bad. If you have 4 1/2 good teams in a division the winner will likely have a lower point total than one from a division with one or two teams to beat up on.Put Vancouver in the Central or Pacific and no way they win the President's Trophy.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
we are gonna take this one in 5 games too.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Legionnaire11

IDK about this one yet. Seems so easy to be over confident. I have a feeling this one will be very, very tough.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:

A subjective ranking can be neither "absolutely, positively, utterly false" nor "absolutely, postitively" true. Objectively, 50% of the central's playoff teams advanced, 66.67% of the pacific's did ... including advancing against the President's Trophy winner and a Central Div team.
Pacific also didn't have any of their teams paired up; either DET or NSH was going to lose. And I don't think using percentages really works when you're talking about a sample size as small as this. I would just go with nominal numbers; 2 teams advanced from both the Central and Pacific. Last year 100% of the Northwest division's teams advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals, but that doesn't really state much about the quality of the division since only one team from the NW actually made the playoffs.

Agree with your other points, just nitpicking largely.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote