HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: Luongo Has Asked For a Trade (All Luongo Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
deckercky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Have the masses been warned about the impending Price for Luongo e3 crap ?
Obvious trade. Luongo is done so the Canucks need a new starter.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester00 View Post
People need to start looking at the deal as a 6 year 40 million dollar contract, because thats all it will end up being. At worst its a 7 year 43.5 million dollar contract and then Luongo retires.

Thats not a bad deal for an "elite" goaltender. So for those who keep saying its a cap dump and Luongo has no value, just stop. It's getting ridiculous. He has value, and if he is made available it won't be just a salary dump.
It really depends on how long you think he's going to remain an "elite" goaltender. He's 33 years of age (not old, but not young either). Take into account his size, style and the overall wear and tear he's been through (# of minutes played/shots faced) and you begin to wonder... does he have 2, 3 or 4 years of true #1 goaltending left in him? Then you have to evaluate his contract as a long-term bond with a depreciated coupon payment relative to the market. He'll turn into an undervalued asset and you'll be forced to buy his contract out. That said, if you believe that Lu will take your team to the next level, I'd say trade for him. His stock is low and his contract is risky, but that shouldn't matter if you see/believe in the upside he provides to your organization. He'll be traded, but to say his contract situation is blown out of proportions is somewhat ludicrous (especially if he's traded to a smaller market team a la Tampa with huge pre-existing commitments in Vinny, St. Louis, Stammer and Ohlund).

Old
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Have the masses been warned about the impending Price for Luongo e3 crap ?
I'd almost forgotten about that guy.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Obvious trade. Luongo is done so the Canucks need a new starter.
You know Eklund will do it...

I'm just warning people...

Old
04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think waaaaay to much is being made of Luongo's contract. At the time it was signed, it was one of the last "retirement" deals made before the league closed that loophole in the CBA. Starting next year, his deal looks as follows:

12/13 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
13/14 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
14/15 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
15/16 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
16/17 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
17/18 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
18/19 Salary 3.4 Cap hit 5.3
19/20 Salary 1.6 Cap hit 5.3
20/21 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3
21/22 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3

At the end of the deal he'd be 43, and if anyone thinks he'll still be playing @ 43 for 1.0 million per then they are insane. Starting next year, this deal is essentially a 6 year deal with a salary of 6.7 and cap hit of 5.3. Which is a great deal for an elite goaltender.

At the end of those six years (2018) there is 7 million left for the last 4 years of the deal that could be bought out for 4.7 million spread over the next 8 years ~580k/year. The cap hit over those 8 years would be 2.5m, 4.3m, 4.9m, 4.9m, and then 580k over 4 more years.

The only teams that that may be an issue for are the teams right up against the cap. And again, its irrelavent because the chances of Luongo playing @ 39/40 yrs old for under 2 million/year are slim to none. That was the purpose behind the deal, to get around the cap.

People need to start looking at the deal as a 6 year 40 million dollar contract, because thats all it will end up being. At worst its a 7 year 43.5 million dollar contract and then Luongo retires.

Thats not a bad deal for an "elite" goaltender. So for those who keep saying its a cap dump and Luongo has no value, just stop. It's getting ridiculous. He has value, and if he is made available it won't be just a salary dump.
great post

As a UFA, I'm pretty sure most GMs wouldn't mind paying 5.333 for 6 years, and then having a measily buy out penalty for a few years, or him retiring.

The contract really isnt an issue.

Malone+ likely gets it done. I can't see either team not being able to make a deal happen there. A slim chance another team offers more.
Lou has high value and if people think otherwise, they are being silly.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
I think waaaaay to much is being made of Luongo's contract. At the time it was signed, it was one of the last "retirement" deals made before the league closed that loophole in the CBA. Starting next year, his deal looks as follows:

12/13 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
13/14 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
14/15 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
15/16 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
16/17 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
17/18 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
18/19 Salary 3.4 Cap hit 5.3
19/20 Salary 1.6 Cap hit 5.3
20/21 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3
21/22 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3

At the end of the deal he'd be 43, and if anyone thinks he'll still be playing @ 43 for 1.0 million per then they are insane. Starting next year, this deal is essentially a 6 year deal with a salary of 6.7 and cap hit of 5.3. Which is a great deal for an elite goaltender.

At the end of those six years (2018) there is 7 million left for the last 4 years of the deal that could be bought out for 4.7 million spread over the next 8 years ~580k/year. The cap hit over those 8 years would be 2.5m, 4.3m, 4.9m, 4.9m, and then 580k over 4 more years.

The only teams that that may be an issue for are the teams right up against the cap. And again, its irrelavent because the chances of Luongo playing @ 39/40 yrs old for under 2 million/year are slim to none. That was the purpose behind the deal, to get around the cap.

Even if this WAS a 6 year deal, i'm still leary. He is 33 years old, no guarantee he can maintain "elite" status until he is 39 years old.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
It really depends on how long you think he's going to remain an "elite" goaltender. He's 33 years of age (not old, but not young either). Take into account his size, style and the overall wear and tear he's been through (# of minutes played/shots faced) and you begin to wonder... does he have 2, 3 or 4 years of true #1 goaltending left in him? Then you have to evaluate his contract as a long-term bond with a depreciated coupon payment relative to the market. He'll turn into an undervalued asset and you'll be forced to buy his contract out. That said, if you believe that Lu will take your team to the next level, I'd say trade for him. His stock is low and his contract is risky, but that shouldn't matter if you see/believe in the upside he provides to your organization. He'll be traded, but to say his contract situation is blown out of proportions is somewhat ludicrous (especially if he's traded to a smaller market team a la Tampa with huge pre-existing commitments in Vinny, St. Louis, Stammer and Ohlund).
What goalie that hasn't been a 1-2 season wonder has had the wheels fall off to that degree as soon as they turn 35, which seems to be what you're suggesting. Vokoun and Nabokov aren't getting big contracts (I'd argue Vokoun could have gotten $5M short-term elsewhere), but they still put up solid numbers at an older age. Brodeur is the only goalie who's had as much consistency as Luongo, and he played well this season at 39.

Roloson too played well last season, though he (like Thomas) would be one of the goalies that doesn't have as many miles on his body because he was over 30 when he made the NHL.

At 36-37, he probably will slow down a bit, but will likely still be starter quality. If he makes it to 39, his real contract is finished.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
great post

As a UFA, I'm pretty sure most GMs wouldn't mind paying 5.333 for 6 years, and then having a measily buy out penalty for a few years, or him retiring.

The contract really isnt an issue.

Malone+ likely gets it done. I can't see either team not being able to make a deal happen there. A slim chance another team offers more.
Lou has high value and if people think otherwise, they are being silly.
I think you need to define "high". There are some saying TO's 1st. Thats the 5th overall pick!! Not a chance that happens.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
What would Tampa bay offer for Luongo? He has a massive contract but he is still a top10 goalie in the nhl. Brett Connolly + Tampa Bay 1st in 2012 for Luongo?
HAHA yeah we do this if we also get the Sedins and Vancouver also takes back Ohlund and Malone.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Roberto Luongo would waive no-trade clause if Canucks choose Cory Schneider

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...191848466.html

Quote:
"Even though I have a no-trade, it's not my decsion," Luongo said. "It's a very unique circumstance I think that we are in where we have an elite guy, a young guy who is up and coming, who is probably going to dominate the league for many years. … I'm not sure what I would do if I was GM."

"I don't want to be one of those guys who is going to stand in the way of anything," he said. "I always want to put the team ahead of me first. I don't want to be one of those selfish guys.

"There hasn't been any decisions made. But over the course of the next little while, we'll talk with (Mike Gillis) and make a decision."
So where do you think he goes now? It sounds like he wants to get out of Vancouver and possibly be closer to his wife in Florida

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 04-24-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I think you need to define "high". There are some saying TO's 1st. Thats the 5th overall pick!! Not a chance that happens.
Yeah, that's a bit much.....

My proposals have been:

Malone, 10th overall
For
Lou, Raymond and 22nd overall

Malone, DET 1st
For
Lou, Raymond, 52nd overall

Malone and 40th overall
For
Lou and Raymond

That type of "high". The 10th overall one.probably being the highest. But still, its only.moving down 12 spots for an elite goalie and a forward downgrade.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Florida? Tampa? Toronto?

Old
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Fair play to him, shows a lot of balls.

Old
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
5th overall would get them into the playoffs for the next few years (barring Burke being an idiot).

Seems pretty good value to me if you put it that way.

Old
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Malone, DET 1st
For

Malone and 40th overall
For
Lou and Raymond
Either of these two deals look good to me... Not sure if Malone would bite though.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

I see him going to Tampa. They really really need a goaltender.

Old
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Rick Nash
Great suggestion.

Why isn't this getting talked about more?

Van needs a winger with size (even though Nash doesn't know how to use it) and Columbus needs a starting goaltender.

Lou goes to a market that doesn't have 10% of the pressure of performing in Vancouver and Nash gets to play with wingers (Sedins) that will supposedly have him playing like the player half this board thinks he is (I don't).

Eh?

Old
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
I could see something along the following:

Tampa gets: Luongo, Raymond
Vancouver gets: 20th overall, Purcell, Gudas

Old
HyPnOtiK

Chicago seems like a very good fit

Old
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...191848466.html

So where do you think he goes now? It sounds like he wants to get out of Vancouver and possibly be closer to his wife in Florida
Where do you get this and "expects to be moved" from?

Old
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's a starting goaltender, not going to be back-up to Schneider forever.

Good for him, Vancouver has more problems to worry about than goaltending, and Lu's taken enough abuse as the whipping boy.

Old
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Chicago seems like a very good fit
Wouldn't mind putting the bad blood behind. These guys are all professionals after all. But at that contract, not a chance in hell.

Old
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Where do you get this "expects to be moved" from?
really?

Quote:
"It's a very unique circumstance I think that we are in where we have an elite guy, a young guy who is up and coming, who is probably going to dominate the league for many years. … I'm not sure what I would do if I was GM."
how does that not sound like he expects to be moved and is willing to waive his no trade clause......

Old
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
ReggieDunlop7

Quote:
Yeah, that's a bit much.....

My proposals have been:

Malone, 10th overall
For
Lou, Raymond and 22nd overall

Malone, DET 1st
For

Malone and 40th overall
For
Lou and Raymond

That type of "high". The 10th overall one.probably being the highest. But still, its only.moving down 12 spots for an elite goalie and a forward downgrade.
I'd probably do any of these 3 trades as a Canucks fan. Although, the Canucks pick is 26, not 22. Also, hasn't Malone refused to waive his NTC in the past?

Old
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

For the record he didn't say he expects to be traded. But he's open to it

Closed Thread