HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What to Do About Kane?

Old
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Trade everyone, then blame Bowman when we suck again.

This board's a joke.
I don't think we should trade him at all. But our lines are horrible and he must be put to better use.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

20+ goals
40+ assists

that really sucks. Kanes a keeper and he will stay for sure

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
hawksfan50

As many know--I have been one of Kane's harshest critics--but often in the NHl certain players have for them--sub-par years...even beforethis year I asked if Kane had already plateaued at about a point a game leveland could not elevate to real elite status of the 100 point orabove level (as everyone predicted he would eventually do once he "matured" both in behaviour and in getting strongeras he aged into his mid 20's -BUT INSTEAD -this year he regressed off his even "normal
expectation of a point a game...So now I ask is the regression just a bad year one-off,or is this now his level --can't get 30 goals a year,can't score go to gols in playoffs--then WTF @ $6.3 million per? (though it seems with cap inflation that might be the"comparable" for a mere 23 goalscoreer/66pts guy =about a $million for every 6.6 pts? That makes giroux at 93 pts (in 77GP=1.207PPG ) not even mentioning his ELEVATION in the playoffs to 14pts in 6GP =2.33ppg incl 6 GOALS---vs. Kane's 4pts in 6GP in playoffs REGRESSION even from his baf .80PPG inthe reg season to just .666 ppg (speak of the devil!) ---THEN I guess Giroux is worth
1.4 times MORE than KANE (just on reg.season production) and MORE than that based on playoff "difference-making elevation"---so at least worth $8.82 million on the Kane comparables pay scale...Of course we could not pay that much under the cap -so I guess we are lucky with a "cheap" Kane for just his paltry production level..

AGain I ask though-despite my harsh criticism of what we are getting FOR THE MONEY IN"PRODUCTION" from him --if this is just a bad year-and next yearhe will be back to "normal" = 82 -88 pts as we expect at least THAT level for the money we paid (even though he's only cracked 80 pts once (88 in 2009/10) ...

THEREFORE despite my reservations on Kane's ultimate "VALUE" overall -despite my harsh criticisms of his flaws-I am willing to give him ONE MORE CHANCE at a "COMEBACK" year next season--I expect the PPG or slightly better level of production---he willnever "elevate" to Giroux-like 1.2 level of Giroux elevation in playoffs to 2.33 ppg to be the difference-maker in a series like that..never score goals at a giroux-like level--BUT if he "just" gives us PPG or slightly better( 82-88 pts) amd maintains that in playoffs THEN we can still argue whether that is worth $6.3 million a year -which it probably willb e league-wide on "compartables"---I don't think this is "great" vluee --but at least it willbe better than what we got out of him THIS YEAR....SO I am prepared to give him 1 more chance to get back tothis Minimum level of performance to ecpectation per $$$ spent...IF he has playeaued wellbelow this ppg level to merely 80% of it for a 2nd year in a row--THEN the call to trade him willbe loud and clear...SO I will give him another chance--to "rebound" with a better year next season ---OR ELSE!

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
ralph0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I agree. Kaner will be fine.
A guy who takes up as much cap space as Kane better be a lot more then "fine." He sure as hell isn't earning that $6 million plus a year he's being paid.

ralph0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0226 View Post
A guy who takes up as much cap space as Kane better be a lot more then "fine." He sure as hell isn't earning that $6 million plus a year he's being paid.
5 years in the west with 369 points. He's alright. He floats a bit but a real coach would light a fire under his ***.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
ralph0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
5 years in the west with 369 points. He's alright. He floats a bit but a real coach would light a fire under his ***.
Good point, he does need a fire lit under his a$$. He's more of a premadonna now.

ralph0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
HawksTillDeath

I'm sorry but one of us fans that watch all year realized just how MANY times Kane put the puck on the stick of someone right in front of the net with an easy shot and someone missed the net

He could of easily got another 10+ assists this year if Brunette/Stalberg/etc didn't miss the net or hit the goalie in the leg pads..

Not to mention the D having just a touch of accuracy

Kane is the least of the teams problems.. get a good LW to park is ass in front of the net with the ability to lift the damn puck!!

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
I'm sorry but one of us fans that watch all year realized just how MANY times Kane put the puck on the stick of someone right in front of the net with an easy shot and someone missed the net

He could of easily got another 10+ assists this year if Brunette/Stalberg/etc didn't miss the net or hit the goalie in the leg pads..

Not to mention the D having just a touch of accuracy

Kane is the least of the teams problems.. get a good LW to park is ass in front of the net with the ability to lift the damn puck!!
Yeah, no kidding. Bruno alone cost him 4 or 5 assists.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
HawksTillDeath

No to mention Kane's defence is really starting to pick up

He was 8th this year in takeaways

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Old
04-24-2012, 10:36 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:

What's crazier is Toews at 7th in 59 games!

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
HawksTillDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
What's crazier is Toews at 7th in 59 games!
TRADE HIM TOO

useless guy.. got a weak brain

Old
04-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
20+ goals
40+ assists

that really sucks. Kanes a keeper and he will stay for sure
For 6.3mil with absolutely no defense. 4pts in 6 playoff games.

Ya, that does suck.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

What to do about Kane?

Umm, keep him..? Why is this even a question?

There are a lot of problems on this team, but the guy who brought the franchise its first Cup in 49 years isn't one of them.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
BK Lounge

Kane is clearly not the issue with our team. He has improved dramatically defensively over the course of his career and chances are he will continue to do so. While he had a down offensive year he did pretty darn well considering our power play was terrible. While he is terrible at face-offs it is hard to imagine that he will not work at them IF the Hawks tell him that their plan is to have him play center going forward. If you can all remember how hard he worked last summer before he was injured and I think he will do the same this summer. Is he a perfect player? No but he is only 23 and he is pretty damn good.

Going forward I think the Hawks need to sign a sniper type winger to play with Hossa and Kane. Ideally I would like them to focus on and sign A. Semin during free agency. If we were able to Semin it would improve our power play as well because Semin could replace Sharp. My ideal top two lines going into next year would be: Semin - Kane - Hossa & Saad - Toews - Sharp. I think the Toews like would excel because the all are people who can play both a grind game and a finesse game. I have always thought that Kane and Toews are better served apart because of how they play but that is just my opinion.

BK Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

This city, maybe all cities but I have only lived here, always blames the stars when things go wrong. Kane, Cutler, both the same and both b.s.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This city, maybe all cities but I have only lived here, always blames the stars when things go wrong. Kane, Cutler, both the same and both b.s.
I brought this exact point up in a "trade Kane" thread that popped up during the 9-game losing streak. Crazy how everyone always jumps to blame those who did all they could to bring the team success.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I brought this exact point up in a "trade Kane" thread that popped up during the 9-game losing streak. Crazy how everyone always jumps to blame those who did all they could to bring the team success.
Yeah, and then guys like Bollig and Mayers are living legends simply because they are "Chicago tough". I don't get it.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Hawks82

Quote:

You can't mention this...he doesn't play any defense, remember?

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Panzerspitze

Fire Quenneville. Hire a new head coach who can make Kane pull his head out of his *** with the puck. If not, trade him while he still has relatively high value. Same with Keith ans Sharp.

Panzerspitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
You can't mention this...he doesn't play any defense, remember?
Takeaways tell about 1/8th of the whole story. You can have a takeaway in the offensive zone, doesn't make you a good defensive player.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, and then guys like Bollig and Mayers are living legends simply because they are "Chicago tough". I don't get it.
Haha. You aren't the only one who doesn't get it.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Hawkaholic

and FWIW, I'm not blaming Kane for the series loss, I just couldn't careless if he was traded. If we can improve our team by trading him, do it.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
For 6.3mil with absolutely no defense. 4pts in 6 playoff games.

Ya, that does suck.
Kane produced right for his salary and you need to stop with that No defense nonsense

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Ujjy

I wonder if Toews was the one with the bad year if you guys would want to trade him too. Kane will pick it up next year as long as the coaching staff doesn't keep moving him around. Also get someone other than Brunette on his line.

Ujjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
hawksfan50

As I said--I give him another chance next season to have a "rebound year" --BUT IF he does not--THEN we must cosider his plateau and regreesion as a problem...

KANE next year CANNOT: take from mid NOV to March 1st "off" like he did this year --too many disinterested games ..too many no point or just 1 assist and out games--he must also SHOOT better (9.1 shooting % for a $6.3 million guy is awful)...he should hire Mike Bossy to teach him how to shoot...

AS to why our PP fails--well if one of the key guys only shoots 9.1% --WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote