HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

JJ's 2012 NHL Mock Draft - April Edition (Top 14)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 06:45 AM
  #1
JJTopper
Registered Creeper
 
JJTopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
JJ's 2012 NHL Mock Draft - April Edition (Top 14)

Gonna give this mock draft thing a shot. Am I far off?


#1: Nail Yakupov

- No brainer. You can't pass on Elite talent.


#2: Ryan Murray

- Well rounded Dman who's been highly regarded his whole career. Great leadership...and no Russian factor to worry about.


#3: Mikhail Grigorenko

- Big skilled center is exactly what the Habs need. Doesn't hurt that he's played under Roy in the QMJHL.


#4: Filip Forsberg

- Isles go for the big, talented Swede to play alongside Tavares.


#5: Alex Galchenyuk

- Dropped due to injury, but could end up being a steal. The #1 center the Leafs crave.


#6: Mathew Dumba

- Ducks add a hard hitting, game-breaking Dman that plays with a ton of heart. A nice compliment to their blueline.


#7: Jacob Trouba

- Homegrown Dman with all around ability. Seems like a perfect fit in Minny.


#8: Radek Faksa

- Canes love the CHL and could use this kids physical play and scoring ability.


#9: Morgan Rielly

- Highly talented Dman that fell due to injury. Could end up being a steal. Really, it's a BPA pick.


#10: Griffin Reinhart

- Bolts strengthen their blueline with a big, well-rounded Dman out of the dub.


#11: Teuvo Teravainen

- Rocketing up the charts this year. He's a bit of a risk, but super talented. I think the Caps could gamble on him.


#12: Brendan Gaunce

- Sabres select a big, skilled center. Just what the doctor ordered!


#13: Cody Ceci

- Stars go BPA. Talented Dman who really racked up the points in the OHL this year. Could be a great addition to their club.


#14: Olli Maatta

Flames shore up their blueline with the big Fin. Seems to be doing really well in the playoffs right now.

Notes: Could possibly flip Rielly and Reinhart. That's the only one I'm not really sure about. Thoughts?


Last edited by JJTopper: 04-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
JJTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
  #2
Ford Prefect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
I can't speak for any other team, but I'm fairly confident that Montreal will NOT draft Grigerenko. After his recent showing in the QMJHL playoffs, to go with the perception that he has a weak compete level, this is not the type of character that Timmins goes for.

I think that there are really only 2 players that Montreal will draft at 3 (on the obvious assumption that Yakupov isn't on the board) - Forsberg or Galchenyuk. We will have a better idea which following the combine.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
  #3
shaner89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 14,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I can't speak for any other team, but I'm fairly confident that Montreal will NOT draft Grigerenko. After his recent showing in the QMJHL playoffs, to go with the perception that he has a weak compete level, this is not the type of character that Timmins goes for.

I think that there are really only 2 players that Montreal will draft at 3 (on the obvious assumption that Yakupov isn't on the board) - Forsberg or Galchenyuk. We will have a better idea which following the combine.
Teams will kick themselves for passing on this kid, if they do.

Might be the most talented kid in the draft.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
  #4
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,736
vCash: 500
Pretty good draft IMO.

The top 10 is pretty much exactly what I think will happen, with the exception of the Jets possibly taking Teravainen. I say this because they took a similar leap of faith last year on Scheifele, who was also rocketing up the rankings.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
  #5
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,237
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Pretty good draft IMO.

The top 10 is pretty much exactly what I think will happen, with the exception of the Jets possibly taking Teravainen. I say this because they took a similar leap of faith last year on Scheifele, who was also rocketing up the rankings.
I would think after doing so they'd take a different approach this year.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
  #6
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
For the Jets, I'd prefer Reinhart, Ceci, and Gaunce to Reilly. Perhaps a trade down (Flames after Reinhart?) if Faksa and Trouba are gone.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
  #7
Slick Eller
Registered User
 
Slick Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Laurentides
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Habs won't take Grigorenko 3rd after the terrible performance in the playoff.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  #8
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,237
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Habs won't take Grigorenko 3rd after the terrible performance in the playoff.
Look it's perfectly fine to think they MIGHT pass on him. But won't pick him? Imagine if Roy is named your GM. MTL will also consider the fact that he was on pace for 100+ points.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:03 PM
  #9
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
The Isles WILL draft Galchenyuk if he is available.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
  #10
PaulSedin
#lydia2012
 
PaulSedin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,601
vCash: 500
that's a good mock

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
  #11
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,237
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
The Isles WILL draft Galchenyuk if he is available.
Thank you Nostradamus.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
  #12
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy
The Isles WILL draft Galchenyuk if he is available.

Thank you Nostradamus.

---

Sure you are a Ducks fan? You sound like a Leafs fan. A little over the top don't you think?

The Isles need a 2nd line center more than a wing. Strome and Nelson will likely play wing with us and Nielsen is not a second line center.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
  #13
JJTopper
Registered Creeper
 
JJTopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Sure you are a Ducks fan? You sound like a Leafs fan. A little over the top don't you think?

The Isles need a 2nd line center more than a wing. Strome and Nelson will likely play wing with us and Nielsen is not a second line center.
Why move Strome to wing? Seems kind of odd. Also, Forsberg can play both wing and center from what I understand.

JJTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
  #14
grits207
Registered User
 
grits207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Sure you are a Ducks fan? You sound like a Leafs fan. A little over the top don't you think?
What's over the top is people like you acting like you know for sure what a team is going to do. Hell, most if not all of the teams don't even know what they are going to do yet.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:21 PM
  #15
JJTopper
Registered Creeper
 
JJTopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
For the Jets, I'd prefer Reinhart, Ceci, and Gaunce to Reilly. Perhaps a trade down (Flames after Reinhart?) if Faksa and Trouba are gone.
As I said, Reinhart and Rielly could be flipped. Rielly offers a much better offensive skill set and has been rated higher for the most part, but maybe the Jets would rather have a big two-way guy. It's a tough call. Could see it going either way. Appreciate the feedback!

JJTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
  #16
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
What's over the top is people like you acting like you know for sure what a team is going to do. Hell, most if not all of the teams don't even know what they are going to do yet.
I don't know what most of the teams will do, but the one I follow faithfully, which has a track record that they follow, with a philosophy of drafting that they have followed for awhile, does give me a pretty good feel for the players that fit. And of all of the Top players, Galchenyuk is the likely selection if he is still there.

He and Grigorenko are the two pure centers at the top in this draft and the Isles focus on character as equal to skill much of the time. Just read our draft threads over the past few years (and Garth's public statements) to see how much it factored into his draft philosophy. Based on the scouting reports Galchenyuk wins over Grigorenko in character.

The Isles have not spent a top first rounder on defense in the Snow era (DeHaan was a trade up and was costly in draft picks); they have spent a lot of picks on defense in the second. That pattern is likely to occur again this year unless they decide to trade down to take a defenseman. There are too many quality defenders to take one at #4.

One of the Top 6 d-men will be available at #10:

Murray
Trouba
Dumba
Reinhart
Reilly
Ceci

Why stay at #4 to pick one of these? If Faksa or Teravainen are picked in the Top 10 then one of these falls to #12. Which means the Washington might be willing to trade both #11 and #16 for #4.

When you look at the depth in the Isles system you see a few high end forward prospects like Strome, Nelson and maybe Nino and Lee. None of them have proven anything yet at the NHL level. On the other hand the depth on defense in the past few drafts are Katic, Ness, Donovan, DeHaan, Mayfield, Pedan, Kichton and Russo. With Hamonic already playing a big role. I would argue the team still needs a top point producer; just look at how few goals they scored this year.

As for most teams not knowing what they want to do? Come on! Scouting is a full year job, as is preparing for the draft. Most teams have a pretty good idea whether to draft BPA or draft for need! That philosophy is already in the decision-making pipeline. Who they will pick is already being gamed. The scouting system is also conducting mock drafts to see who they should focus on reviewing further.

We are well beyond the 'have no idea who I will draft' point in the season.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
  #17
Maitz
Chucky#27
 
Maitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
If Forsberg is available at Habs pick, he will wear a Habs jersey for sure, I keep repeat it Timmins loves complete players who battle hard and that's why we will pick Forsberg and not Grigorenko

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
  #18
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,237
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I don't know what most of the teams will do, but the one I follow faithfully, which has a track record that they follow, with a philosophy of drafting that they have followed for awhile, does give me a pretty good feel for the players that fit. And of all of the Top players, Galchenyuk is the likely selection if he is still there.

He and Grigorenko are the two pure centers at the top in this draft and the Isles focus on character as equal to skill much of the time. Just read our draft threads over the past few years (and Garth's public statements) to see how much it factored into his draft philosophy. Based on the scouting reports Galchenyuk wins over Grigorenko in character.

The Isles have not spent a top first rounder on defense in the Snow era (DeHaan was a trade up and was costly in draft picks); they have spent a lot of picks on defense in the second. That pattern is likely to occur again this year unless they decide to trade down to take a defenseman. There are too many quality defenders to take one at #4.

One of the Top 6 d-men will be available at #10:

Murray
Trouba
Dumba
Reinhart
Reilly
Ceci

Why stay at #4 to pick one of these? If Faksa or Teravainen are picked in the Top 10 then one of these falls to #12. Which means the Washington might be willing to trade both #11 and #16 for #4.

When you look at the depth in the Isles system you see a few high end forward prospects like Strome, Nelson and maybe Nino and Lee. None of them have proven anything yet at the NHL level. On the other hand the depth on defense in the past few drafts are Katic, Ness, Donovan, DeHaan, Mayfield, Pedan, Kichton and Russo. With Hamonic already playing a big role. I would argue the team still needs a top point producer; just look at how few goals they scored this year.

As for most teams not knowing what they want to do? Come on! Scouting is a full year job, as is preparing for the draft. Most teams have a pretty good idea whether to draft BPA or draft for need! That philosophy is already in the decision-making pipeline. Who they will pick is already being gamed. The scouting system is also conducting mock drafts to see who they should focus on reviewing further.

We are well beyond the 'have no idea who I will draft' point in the season.
Is that so? You don't think injury plays any kind of role the team's decision making? Or maybe the fact that Strome may be used as that second line C? Or the fact that it's been forwardforwardforwardforward at the draft for I don't know how long?

You could be right, but the chances of you being wrong are way higher. And simply put, you are not a scout. So stop saying Galchenyuk is an Isle the way you guys said Fowler is an Isle. We all know that didn't happen.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  #19
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Is that so? You don't think injury plays any kind of role the team's decision making? Or maybe the fact that Strome may be used as that second line C? Or the fact that it's been forwardforwardforwardforward at the draft for I don't know how long?

You could be right, but the chances of you being wrong are way higher. And simply put, you are not a scout. So stop saying Galchenyuk is an Isle the way you guys said Fowler is an Isle. We all know that didn't happen.
I can't say this for certain but the only way the ducks get gally is to trade up.... Cause mtl/nyi/leafs will draft him. Stop getting your hopes up

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
  #20
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,237
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
I can't say this for certain but the only way the ducks get gally is to trade up.... Cause mtl/nyi/leafs will draft him. Stop getting your hopes up
They aren't up at all. For all I know Murray could pass on Gally of he's available. That isn't why I wrote that. Ive made similar arguments regarding Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, and Dumba.

What irritates me is the notion that a fan "knows" what their GM will do. Yet every year we see a different story than the one we expect. This has nothing to do with who I want the ducks to take. I'm content with any of the top 6 guys. Though Grigorenko would worry me.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
  #21
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Is that so? You don't think injury plays any kind of role the team's decision making? Or maybe the fact that Strome may be used as that second line C? Or the fact that it's been forwardforwardforwardforward at the draft for I don't know how long?

You could be right, but the chances of you being wrong are way higher. And simply put, you are not a scout. So stop saying Galchenyuk is an Isle the way you guys said Fowler is an Isle. We all know that didn't happen.
Strome played wing on the WJHC team and looked terrific there. As far as the injury issue is concerned I don't think in today's medical world an ACL injury is given the same weight as say concussions or a bad back. Galchenyuk came back after only 4 1/2 months, when in the past that injury took almost a year to recover from. I just don't see Garth being scared by that injury at all.

As for Fowler, his non-pick (of which I favored) just makes my point about the Isles not drafting defense that high. Other Isles fans really wanted him and in the long run they might be right. But that is Garth's philosophy and he is hardly reticent about it. I stick by what I believe and we will see on draft day.

2014 Playoff Starting Line Up

MM / JT / Nino
Strome / Galchenyuk / Nelson
Okposo / Nielsen / Bailey
Grabner / Cizikas / Martin

Hamonic / AMac
Streit / DeHaan
Donovan / ??

Not a bad group . . .

Edit: Since you brought up your irritation lets make it even more: If you go back to the Isles threads from last draft you will see I championed Nino, so one for me . . .


Last edited by leeroggy: 04-24-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Update
leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
  #22
IceDogsandLeafs
Registered User
 
IceDogsandLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Why move Strome to wing? Seems kind of odd. Also, Forsberg can play both wing and center from what I understand.
I laugh at all of the Strome will be a winger talk I read on here. He is a centre through and through and taking him out of the middle of the ice simply will hide his best assets. With Johnny T and Strome, the Isles will be stacked down the middle. They need another defenceman.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.