Notices

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
I think drafting Kalil at #3 and then picking a WR in the 2nd round is the worst case scenario. So, I'd like to avoid that...

Ideally, I'd like to see them swap with Tampa and come away with Claiborne (and hopefully Tampa's 2nd, would be fine with their 3rd even if the value would be way off). If he were to be gone, I'd go with Blackmon/Floyd/DeCastro/Cox, in that order at #5.

However, I have so little faith in Spielman. So much so that I believe he'll almost assuredly bleep the entire thing up.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Dee Oh Cee

I think the Packers have shown that you don't need to draft WRs in the first round to get good ones.

Old
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If I've learned anything from the Packers, it's that you should get a really great QB. The Vikings could use one of those, hell, even an above average one. Hopefully they can do that in the '13 draft...

Old
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I agree with most of you. Kalil should be our guy at 3. Best case scenario is that TB has to move up and swap with us, they take Richardson and we still get Kalil at 5. However, I have warmed up to taking Claiborne more than I used to, the guy is a stud. And with Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and now Brandon Marshall, we are going to need a good shutdown corner.

Also, I'd like a WR/CB in the second. Either Jeffery or Jenkins would be nice!

Finally, knowing Spielman, he will screw it up.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Picking:
Kalil - Team goes from an already awful line to, a slightly less awful one? The teams biggest issue in terms of offensive line play in pass protection AND run blocking. Given that most all of their pressure in the passing game comes from the interior (and it got even worse over the offseason), I don't see how drafting Kalil helps; not to mention makes any sort of an impact on this team. Especially in a division that features the interiors that it does. When we see Adrian run the ball, he's often met at the QB as he receives the hand off. Again, that's OG play and not OT play. Charlie Johnson was awful last season at LT, yet, only yielded 8 sacks and 26 pressures. What should be expect from Kalil; cut it in half? Even that may be optimistic. All in all, what sort of impact is that making? I'd argue minimal and then the team is still awful at both guard positions. Hard to make up for shoddy guard play. Much easier to do so with questionable tackle play. Even more so when the team plans on running a lot of two TE sets given the addition of Carlson...

CB/WR in the 2nd round - Every single year a draft is said to be soooo deep at WR and CB. Yet we see most of those players picked in the 2nd-3rd round fizzle out as they're drafted there for a reason. Mostly because they have just enough tools to make teams intrigued but lack critical aspects to their game's. On a team like the Vikings, picking one of those players at that spot is a waste of an asset in my opinion. As neither is going to start and will need a lot of developmental time. If they fail to address these two positions in the first round, I believe it would be best to find a starter at guard or linebacker as each have significant voids and both positions are fairly fluid in terms of translating.

^^^ I believe if the Vikings were to go that sort of route in the draft in a few days, they will be cemented as the rightful owners of the '13 #1 Overall Pick. Whether or not that should be seen as a bad thing is certainly up for debate, though.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:43 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

As I've mentioned before, no one should ever draft a WR in the first round entirely, much less the early first round. It's probably the most difficult position to make the college to NFL jump at (yes, harder than QB) and there's so frequently way too much attitude at the position.

I haven't paid close enough attention to the NFL draft to know any of the particular players, but OT and CB are definitely the positions we should target if there's a player of merit available.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Picking:
Kalil - Team goes from an already awful line to, a slightly less awful one? The teams biggest issue in terms of offensive line play in pass protection AND run blocking. Given that most all of their pressure in the passing game comes from the interior (and it got even worse over the offseason), I don't see how drafting Kalil helps; not to mention makes any sort of an impact on this team. Especially in a division that features the interiors that it does. When we see Adrian run the ball, he's often met at the QB as he receives the hand off. Again, that's OG play and not OT play. Charlie Johnson was awful last season at LT, yet, only yielded 8 sacks and 26 pressures. What should be expect from Kalil; cut it in half? Even that may be optimistic. All in all, what sort of impact is that making? I'd argue minimal and then the team is still awful at both guard positions. Hard to make up for shoddy guard play. Much easier to do so with questionable tackle play. Even more so when the team plans on running a lot of two TE sets given the addition of Carlson...

CB/WR in the 2nd round - Every single year a draft is said to be soooo deep at WR and CB. Yet we see most of those players picked in the 2nd-3rd round fizzle out as they're drafted there for a reason. Mostly because they have just enough tools to make teams intrigued but lack critical aspects to their game's. On a team like the Vikings, picking one of those players at that spot is a waste of an asset in my opinion. As neither is going to start and will need a lot of developmental time. If they fail to address these two positions in the first round, I believe it would be best to find a starter at guard or linebacker as each have significant voids and both positions are fairly fluid in terms of translating.

^^^ I believe if the Vikings were to go that sort of route in the draft in a few days, they will be cemented as the rightful owners of the '13 #1 Overall Pick. Whether or not that should be seen as a bad thing is certainly up for debate, though.
Charlie johnson shifting inside and the guy we got from carolina should help a lot with interior line play if we get kalil. Also it's a contract year for loadholt so I expect a big year from him at RT. Vikings would easily move into the top half of the league in line play if they added kalil

Old
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

@ TP

No matter how many times I read your opinion on drafting Kalil, I come away with the same interpretation: "Our OL is so bad that one player wouldn't fix it. Therefore we should not make attempts ot improve it."

You follow up with some good arguments, but that's always how it ends up sticking. However, I disagree with your arguments about the impact of a good OL. Look at the teams that have recently won championships, or made it deep into the playoffs. They all have one thing in common, and it's not quarterback play. They all find a way to keep the QB upright more often than other teams. Yes, it takes more than one player to achieve, but you can only draft one player with each pick.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Up7Yours

vCash: 50
We just signed Jerome Simpson

http://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/stat...29365358493697

Old
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Yea, its been shaping up for a few days now.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
Did anyone else notice that Simpson moved his meeting with us from Friday, to Saturday. (Friday was 4/20)

Old
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
This Jerome Simpson?

, Vikings.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Charlie johnson shifting inside and the guy we got from carolina should help a lot with interior line play if we get kalil. Also it's a contract year for loadholt so I expect a big year from him at RT. Vikings would easily move into the top half of the league in line play if they added kalil
Charlie Johnson is brutal at one position but he'll absolutely be servicable at another? Ya, I don't buy that argument that many want to float. Nor do I expect anything from Schwartz. And that's ignoring that every single player on that line will be lining up next to a new face (continuity being the most important factor in OL play). Loadholt graded out to actually be the worst lineman on the Vikings last year. Expecting him to be sound because it's a contract year seems to be pretty flimsy thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
@ TP

No matter how many times I read your opinion on drafting Kalil, I come away with the same interpretation: "Our OL is so bad that one player wouldn't fix it. Therefore we should not make attempts ot improve it."

You follow up with some good arguments, but that's always how it ends up sticking. However, I disagree with your arguments about the impact of a good OL. Look at the teams that have recently won championships, or made it deep into the playoffs. They all have one thing in common, and it's not quarterback play. They all find a way to keep the QB upright more often than other teams. Yes, it takes more than one player to achieve, but you can only draft one player with each pick.
If you've followed me on the site where I do talk football, I do state I want several changes on the offensive line. Most notably the guard positions. I wanted them addressed seriously in the offseason and I wanted to see the Vikings use another high selection on another guard. I just don't see the value in selecting a tackle highly. To me it's akin to drafting a goalie at the same slot in the NHL.

As for your championships argument, I see teams with very inept left tackle play and great QBs. Overall, yes they do have sound offensive lines. However, they're all very good in the interior which gives their QBs time and space to see down field and step into the pocket. Yes, a blindside hit can absolutely hurt your team. But I'll take my chances with that over a team being able to flood the interior and see Ponder fleeing the pocket every chance he could get last season.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Oh, J. Simpson? He's killer.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Yup. Some teams are just missing that important step between drafting elite talent and competing for something meaningful- developing elite talent. The Kansas City Royals are like the Oilers or Islanders (both of recent) or Panthers of the MLB.
It also doesn't help that the Royals always can develop one player of that group (a Carlos Beltran or Zack Grenke) and eventually trade them for less than market value after being unable to surround them with talent.

Quote:
Between Simpson and Harvin, the Vikings' WR corps will smoke the competition.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Between Simpson and Harvin, the Vikings' WR corps will smoke the competition.
Hey now, Harvin gets really bad migraines. It's a medical issue

Old
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Hey now, Harvin gets really bad migraines. It's a medical issue
Fine, I'll weed him out of the last post.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Just don't make it a chronic habit.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Just don't make it a chronic habit.
You sure are on a roll today, bluntly tossing out the puns, aren't you?

Old
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
651*

Nick Blackburn is terrible. He couldn't be successful in AA.

How long before the Twins stop filling Target with this sort of product...

Old
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
So how about them...what's that Lacrosse team named again?
I don't care what anyone says, I'd rock this:

Old
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Nick Blackburn is terrible. He couldn't be successful in AA.

How long before the Twins stop filling Target with this sort of product...
Well that depends on if they start opening the wallet and allow their front office to retain and obtain quality personnel, or if they're going to go the tightwad route like we think they might now that they've got what they wanted in their precious stadium.

If the latter, we might never see a good team in Target field again as ownership settles in to a period of not even bothering with fielding a team so long as they make a modest profit from stadium revenues. Know how all those other teams ball parks look empty because ownership has pretty much said "screw it"? Yeah, that's the Twins in a few years once fans get fed up with this ****.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
I don't care what anyone says, I'd rock this:

I wish they would get on TV so I could actually see them.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I wish they would get on TV so I could actually see them.
I think their game this weekend is live on TV. CBS Sports or something like that.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think their game this weekend is live on TV. CBS Sports or something like that.
Really? I'll have to see if I even get that channel with Cable One.

Edit: and that's a big ol' negatory. I hate Cable One.

Last edited by Avder: 04-24-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Cable One SUCKS
Closed Thread