HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
  #51
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
I think drafting Kalil at #3 and then picking a WR in the 2nd round is the worst case scenario. So, I'd like to avoid that...

Ideally, I'd like to see them swap with Tampa and come away with Claiborne (and hopefully Tampa's 2nd, would be fine with their 3rd even if the value would be way off). If he were to be gone, I'd go with Blackmon/Floyd/DeCastro/Cox, in that order at #5.

However, I have so little faith in Spielman. So much so that I believe he'll almost assuredly bleep the entire thing up.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
  #52
Dee Oh Cee
Registered User
 
Dee Oh Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington
Country: United States
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
I think the Packers have shown that you don't need to draft WRs in the first round to get good ones.

Dee Oh Cee is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  #53
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
If I've learned anything from the Packers, it's that you should get a really great QB. The Vikings could use one of those, hell, even an above average one. Hopefully they can do that in the '13 draft...

this providence is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
  #54
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 410
I agree with most of you. Kalil should be our guy at 3. Best case scenario is that TB has to move up and swap with us, they take Richardson and we still get Kalil at 5. However, I have warmed up to taking Claiborne more than I used to, the guy is a stud. And with Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and now Brandon Marshall, we are going to need a good shutdown corner.

Also, I'd like a WR/CB in the second. Either Jeffery or Jenkins would be nice!

Finally, knowing Spielman, he will screw it up.

elnewby is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
  #55
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Picking:
Kalil - Team goes from an already awful line to, a slightly less awful one? The teams biggest issue in terms of offensive line play in pass protection AND run blocking. Given that most all of their pressure in the passing game comes from the interior (and it got even worse over the offseason), I don't see how drafting Kalil helps; not to mention makes any sort of an impact on this team. Especially in a division that features the interiors that it does. When we see Adrian run the ball, he's often met at the QB as he receives the hand off. Again, that's OG play and not OT play. Charlie Johnson was awful last season at LT, yet, only yielded 8 sacks and 26 pressures. What should be expect from Kalil; cut it in half? Even that may be optimistic. All in all, what sort of impact is that making? I'd argue minimal and then the team is still awful at both guard positions. Hard to make up for shoddy guard play. Much easier to do so with questionable tackle play. Even more so when the team plans on running a lot of two TE sets given the addition of Carlson...

CB/WR in the 2nd round - Every single year a draft is said to be soooo deep at WR and CB. Yet we see most of those players picked in the 2nd-3rd round fizzle out as they're drafted there for a reason. Mostly because they have just enough tools to make teams intrigued but lack critical aspects to their game's. On a team like the Vikings, picking one of those players at that spot is a waste of an asset in my opinion. As neither is going to start and will need a lot of developmental time. If they fail to address these two positions in the first round, I believe it would be best to find a starter at guard or linebacker as each have significant voids and both positions are fairly fluid in terms of translating.

^^^ I believe if the Vikings were to go that sort of route in the draft in a few days, they will be cemented as the rightful owners of the '13 #1 Overall Pick. Whether or not that should be seen as a bad thing is certainly up for debate, though.

this providence is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:43 PM
  #56
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
As I've mentioned before, no one should ever draft a WR in the first round entirely, much less the early first round. It's probably the most difficult position to make the college to NFL jump at (yes, harder than QB) and there's so frequently way too much attitude at the position.

I haven't paid close enough attention to the NFL draft to know any of the particular players, but OT and CB are definitely the positions we should target if there's a player of merit available.

squidz* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
  #57
Wild48
Our Savior
 
Wild48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Picking:
Kalil - Team goes from an already awful line to, a slightly less awful one? The teams biggest issue in terms of offensive line play in pass protection AND run blocking. Given that most all of their pressure in the passing game comes from the interior (and it got even worse over the offseason), I don't see how drafting Kalil helps; not to mention makes any sort of an impact on this team. Especially in a division that features the interiors that it does. When we see Adrian run the ball, he's often met at the QB as he receives the hand off. Again, that's OG play and not OT play. Charlie Johnson was awful last season at LT, yet, only yielded 8 sacks and 26 pressures. What should be expect from Kalil; cut it in half? Even that may be optimistic. All in all, what sort of impact is that making? I'd argue minimal and then the team is still awful at both guard positions. Hard to make up for shoddy guard play. Much easier to do so with questionable tackle play. Even more so when the team plans on running a lot of two TE sets given the addition of Carlson...

CB/WR in the 2nd round - Every single year a draft is said to be soooo deep at WR and CB. Yet we see most of those players picked in the 2nd-3rd round fizzle out as they're drafted there for a reason. Mostly because they have just enough tools to make teams intrigued but lack critical aspects to their game's. On a team like the Vikings, picking one of those players at that spot is a waste of an asset in my opinion. As neither is going to start and will need a lot of developmental time. If they fail to address these two positions in the first round, I believe it would be best to find a starter at guard or linebacker as each have significant voids and both positions are fairly fluid in terms of translating.

^^^ I believe if the Vikings were to go that sort of route in the draft in a few days, they will be cemented as the rightful owners of the '13 #1 Overall Pick. Whether or not that should be seen as a bad thing is certainly up for debate, though.
Charlie johnson shifting inside and the guy we got from carolina should help a lot with interior line play if we get kalil. Also it's a contract year for loadholt so I expect a big year from him at RT. Vikings would easily move into the top half of the league in line play if they added kalil

Wild48 is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
  #58
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
@ TP

No matter how many times I read your opinion on drafting Kalil, I come away with the same interpretation: "Our OL is so bad that one player wouldn't fix it. Therefore we should not make attempts ot improve it."

You follow up with some good arguments, but that's always how it ends up sticking. However, I disagree with your arguments about the impact of a good OL. Look at the teams that have recently won championships, or made it deep into the playoffs. They all have one thing in common, and it's not quarterback play. They all find a way to keep the QB upright more often than other teams. Yes, it takes more than one player to achieve, but you can only draft one player with each pick.

squidz* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
  #59
Up7Yours
Registered User
 
Up7Yours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 50
We just signed Jerome Simpson

http://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/stat...29365358493697

Up7Yours is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
  #60
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 16145
Yea, its been shaping up for a few days now.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
  #61
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
Did anyone else notice that Simpson moved his meeting with us from Friday, to Saturday. (Friday was 4/20)

elnewby is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
  #62
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,850
vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
This Jerome Simpson?

, Vikings.

FUBAR McDangles is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
  #63
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Charlie johnson shifting inside and the guy we got from carolina should help a lot with interior line play if we get kalil. Also it's a contract year for loadholt so I expect a big year from him at RT. Vikings would easily move into the top half of the league in line play if they added kalil
Charlie Johnson is brutal at one position but he'll absolutely be servicable at another? Ya, I don't buy that argument that many want to float. Nor do I expect anything from Schwartz. And that's ignoring that every single player on that line will be lining up next to a new face (continuity being the most important factor in OL play). Loadholt graded out to actually be the worst lineman on the Vikings last year. Expecting him to be sound because it's a contract year seems to be pretty flimsy thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
@ TP

No matter how many times I read your opinion on drafting Kalil, I come away with the same interpretation: "Our OL is so bad that one player wouldn't fix it. Therefore we should not make attempts ot improve it."

You follow up with some good arguments, but that's always how it ends up sticking. However, I disagree with your arguments about the impact of a good OL. Look at the teams that have recently won championships, or made it deep into the playoffs. They all have one thing in common, and it's not quarterback play. They all find a way to keep the QB upright more often than other teams. Yes, it takes more than one player to achieve, but you can only draft one player with each pick.
If you've followed me on the site where I do talk football, I do state I want several changes on the offensive line. Most notably the guard positions. I wanted them addressed seriously in the offseason and I wanted to see the Vikings use another high selection on another guard. I just don't see the value in selecting a tackle highly. To me it's akin to drafting a goalie at the same slot in the NHL.

As for your championships argument, I see teams with very inept left tackle play and great QBs. Overall, yes they do have sound offensive lines. However, they're all very good in the interior which gives their QBs time and space to see down field and step into the pocket. Yes, a blindside hit can absolutely hurt your team. But I'll take my chances with that over a team being able to flood the interior and see Ponder fleeing the pocket every chance he could get last season.

this providence is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #64
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
Oh, J. Simpson? He's killer.

Generic User is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
  #65
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Yup. Some teams are just missing that important step between drafting elite talent and competing for something meaningful- developing elite talent. The Kansas City Royals are like the Oilers or Islanders (both of recent) or Panthers of the MLB.
It also doesn't help that the Royals always can develop one player of that group (a Carlos Beltran or Zack Grenke) and eventually trade them for less than market value after being unable to surround them with talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
Between Simpson and Harvin, the Vikings' WR corps will smoke the competition.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
  #66
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Between Simpson and Harvin, the Vikings' WR corps will smoke the competition.
Hey now, Harvin gets really bad migraines. It's a medical issue

Generic User is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM
  #67
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Hey now, Harvin gets really bad migraines. It's a medical issue
Fine, I'll weed him out of the last post.

GopherState is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
  #68
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,700
vCash: 500
Just don't make it a chronic habit.

Generic User is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
  #69
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Just don't make it a chronic habit.
You sure are on a roll today, bluntly tossing out the puns, aren't you?

Avder is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
  #70
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Nick Blackburn is terrible. He couldn't be successful in AA.

How long before the Twins stop filling Target with this sort of product...

651* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
  #71
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
So how about them...what's that Lacrosse team named again?
I don't care what anyone says, I'd rock this:





651* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
  #72
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Nick Blackburn is terrible. He couldn't be successful in AA.

How long before the Twins stop filling Target with this sort of product...
Well that depends on if they start opening the wallet and allow their front office to retain and obtain quality personnel, or if they're going to go the tightwad route like we think they might now that they've got what they wanted in their precious stadium.

If the latter, we might never see a good team in Target field again as ownership settles in to a period of not even bothering with fielding a team so long as they make a modest profit from stadium revenues. Know how all those other teams ball parks look empty because ownership has pretty much said "screw it"? Yeah, that's the Twins in a few years once fans get fed up with this ****.

Avder is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
  #73
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
I don't care what anyone says, I'd rock this:




I wish they would get on TV so I could actually see them.

Avder is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
  #74
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I wish they would get on TV so I could actually see them.
I think their game this weekend is live on TV. CBS Sports or something like that.

this providence is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
  #75
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think their game this weekend is live on TV. CBS Sports or something like that.
Really? I'll have to see if I even get that channel with Cable One.

Edit: and that's a big ol' negatory. I hate Cable One.


Last edited by Avder: 04-24-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Cable One SUCKS
Avder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.