HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sidney Crosby's next contract

Old
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Ominous Grey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I remember hearing Rob Rossi say the other day that there's no way the Penguins get him for under 10 a year...

I doubt it. I think he'd be willing to take a discount. Maybe like down to 8 a year. The dude has so many endorsement deals and such going on and isn't a greedy ****** like Ovechkin. I think he'd be willing to take less to make room for guys like Letang.
Agreed. I think he'll want the security of a long contract over the big pay day in the short term. He's going to want 6 years+ with his injury concerns. Getting into a dispute over 2 million a year more won't be as important as making sure you have that extra two years on your deal.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Same deal he has now.
This^

The MAX that Sid (and then Geno) should sign for is the $8.7 million per that they are making now -- whether that's 5 years, 7 years, 10 years, whatever. That would still make them tied for the 2nd highest paid players in the NHL.

If they want the team to be competitive and be able to sign & retain other good players, we need to have some flexibility there. We're tight up against the cap as is, and the cap may not go up for another year or two, and obviously we want to add more good players to this team to help put us over the top. #wingersforSidStaalANDGeno.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

There is no way that Crosby takes less than what he is making now, it's a total pipe dream that he would.

I agree with folks that he will want the extra years given his track record with injuries. So it's most likely to be a 7 or 8 year deal IMO.

For term, I think you are likely to see something between 8.7m and 9.7m per. I don't think he will be looking for 10m+, but may need to make more than Ovie who is at 9.5m I believe. Really hope he sticks with the 8.7m, but it's more likely he settles for a bit above Ovie.

My best goes would be he gets 8 years at around 77mil. Look out for the 9 year 87 mil deal though, would fit with his style to go there. Those come out to 9.6 mil and 9.7 mil per against the cap.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
abstrusezincate

Send a message via AIM to abstrusezincate Send a message via Yahoo to abstrusezincate
It sounds a little counter-intuitive given the injury concerns, but the Penguins best value is if they get the maximum amount of years at whatever price: anywhere from $8.5 million to $10 million. With inflation and the cap seeming to be on an upward trajectory, I bet the contract will look like a real value in the later years. Anything up to 10.

Yes, there is a health risk, but you take those chances with a generational talent and the face of your franchise. With Malkin too. The hockey side is obvious, but from the business side, you've invested so much money in marketing the stars and the personalities as well.

I think that is one thing that sometimes gets lost in these discussions. While hardcore fans always look to find an edge considering every change, many casual fans get really attached to players. If the Pens were to do anything less than make every effort to keep either Sid or Geno, they'd lose them. My girlfriend is one, for an example, and she spends a ton on Pens gear.

It's one thing to let a grinder go who is a fan favorite, but another thing altogether for Sid. Not that I even think they're considering it, but it's a different perspective on the deal.

abstrusezincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
LIPensFan98

The whole "track record of injuries" thing is a joke and if he did have a track record of injuries (which he doesn't), he'd want the MOST possible which means he'd test the market.

He doesn't have a track record of injury. But with that said, speaking from a business owners standpoint, I wouldn't invest in a 10 year deal with him at this point. I'd give him 10 million per for 5 years and reassess at the end of that. If he is still healthy and producing, then I'd give him a 10 year deal which would make him a Penguin for life.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I'm hoping Sid's recent Playoff experiences will have him collaborating with Shero to lower his contract in order to help stack the team.

Hopefully.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
Not a joke. Concussion SYMPTOMS kept him out for well over a year. The symptoms happened to be caused by a neck injury.

Just a few months back I had symptoms of a heart attack. I went to the doctor and have acid reflux. They treated it and now I feel great. That doesn't mean I have a history of heart failure.
Wow, what a terrible analogy.

The whole neck thing with Crosby came up after the Boston game in December where he got knocked out of the game after a relatively benign hit.

I don't think there is anybody that actually believes Crosby never had a concussion (or even two) after the hits he sustained in January 2011.

zhenya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:21 PM
SidTheKid8787

The brass will sit him down and probably give him what needs to be done moving forward. How much Staal will get, etc factoring in the cap. Sid will just nod and say "Sounds cool to me." and sign on the dotted line.

Length will probably be 5-6 years.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 04-23-2012 at 04:26 PM.
SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
AK

If he wants to go higher than Ovechkin, the Penguins have to listen. Crosby writes his own check, and it'll be a good deal for the Penguins no matter what if he doesn't get injured again.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
There are 0 questions about SIDS health. Sign him long term for whatever he wants. That's why teams take out insurance on players.
unfortunately not all contracts can be insured, and because of his strong injury proneness now, it may not be able to be insured

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
The whole "track record of injuries" thing is a joke and if he did have a track record of injuries (which he doesn't), he'd want the MOST possible which means he'd test the market.

He doesn't have a track record of injury. But with that said, speaking from a business owners standpoint, I wouldn't invest in a 10 year deal with him at this point. I'd give him 10 million per for 5 years and reassess at the end of that. If he is still healthy and producing, then I'd give him a 10 year deal which would make him a Penguin for life.
please just stop. sid has a history of injuries. let's just accept it and move on.

i seriously can't even believe this is even an issue being debated. it's nonsensical.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
please just stop. sid has a history of injuries. let's just accept it and move on.

i seriously can't even believe this is even an issue being debated. it's nonsensical.

No kidding, unreal.

Crosby will get what he asks for. I wouldn't be suprised if he stays at the same hit.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya71 View Post
Wow, what a terrible analogy.

The whole neck thing with Crosby came up after the Boston game in December where he got knocked out of the game after a relatively benign hit.

I don't think there is anybody that actually believes Crosby never had a concussion (or even two) after the hits he sustained in January 2011.
I never said he never had a concussion. I said he had one, maybe two. They were treating symptoms as opposed to the underlying condition. They assumed that the symptoms where from concussions when they were really related to another injury - the neck. Once the neck was fixed up he was fine.

Isn't it amazing how he's been back, hit hard quite a few times and never had any problems? That's strange for a player who has serious concussion issues isn't it?

Old
04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
I never said he never had a concussion. I said he had one, maybe two. They were treating symptoms as opposed to the underlying condition. They assumed that the symptoms where from concussions when they were really related to another injury - the neck. Once the neck was fixed up he was fine.

Isn't it amazing how he's been back, hit hard quite a few times and never had any problems? That's strange for a player who has serious concussion issues isn't it?
So by your own admission, he had up to two concussions that kept him out of action for nearly a year, even IF we attributed what happened in the Boston game to his neck and not his brain. And you think he doesn't have some kind of established health issue....? Really? Also, I'm not sure you can really "treat" a concussion. That's part of the problem.

And who ever said that he'd get re-concussed any time he took a hit? That's a pretty blatant exaggeration of what I and other people have said.

zhenya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya71 View Post
So by your own admission, he had up to two concussions that kept him out of action for nearly a year, even IF we attributed what happened in the Boston game to his neck and not his brain. And you think he doesn't have some kind of established health issue....? Really? Also, I'm not sure you can really "treat" a concussion. That's part of the problem.

And who ever said that he'd get re-concussed any time he took a hit? That's a pretty blatant exaggeration of what I and other people have said.
No you are twisting my words. I never said that the concussions kept him our for a year. I said the exact opposite. They were treating it as if he had a concussion and that was a cause for concern because the symptoms lasted for such a long time. Once they found the neck issue the problem was fixed. The problem was the neck, not the concussion.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

These 10 year deals with the salaries falling rapidly in the latter years are almost certain to be outlawed in the new CBA. Would you even find someone that would be willing to insure Crosby's contract? In the NBA Amare Stoudemire's contract with the Knicks is uninsured because no one would touch it because of his past knee injuries.

As far as Crosby not being greedy like Ovechkin, that is crazy. If Crosby had offered to sign the contract Ovechkin signed the Penguins would and should have jumped at it. Crosby did what Lebron, Wade, and Bosch did in the NBA. Signed a shorter term deal to become an unrestricted free agent faster. Also keep in mind who Crosby's agent is, Pat Brisson, a CAA guy. The same agency who has Lebron, Melo, Wade, etc. They have a lot of power and influence and have no problem using it.

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
unfortunately not all contracts can be insured, and because of his strong injury proneness now, it may not be able to be insured
You're wrong. But I'm sure you wish otherwise.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote