HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What to Do About Kane?

Old
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
One thing I will say for Kane that doesn't get brought up is the wrist injury. It's pretty much known in sports that they take over a year to fully recover. Maybe that was an issue this year. He needs to improve on the scoring though, he should be a lock for 30 goals, especially when he plays every game.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Pretty much was Crazy said

Leave Kane at his natural position (RW) with Toews on line one

And ideally acquiring a #2 C to play with Hossa (And Saad) allowing Sharp to play LW on 1st line

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
EbonyRaptor

vCash: 500
Kane should not be traded.

But he needs to be held accountable by the coaching staff and his teammates. Is he better defensively than he used to be - yes, but he's not consistently better. He still dogs it back on defense far too often to be an on-ice leader on the Hawks. He still goes rogue too often where he'll go one on three and lose the puck creating a turnover situation. His shooting seems to have regressed in terms of accuracy and willingness to shoot (lack of confidence in his shot?). Maybe it's wrist related, but doubtful because it was below his standard all season.

It's unfair to compare anyone to Toews' will to win, compete level, dedication, because he is one of those special few athletes who has those intangibles that match his world class physical ability. But, fair or unfair, it's clear that although Kane also has world class physical ability - he come no where near Toews dedication to being the best he can be. It seems like Kane has achieved success and doesn't have the fire in his belly to make himself better - at least not to the extent that produce noticeable results.

In a perfect world, Kane would dedicate himself to improving every aspect of his game. He would borrow Crosby's dryer and shoot pucks all summer long. He would spend more time strength training and less time partying. And when the puck drops next October, his first priority would be to keep the opposition from scoring.

He needs to think of himself less as an entertainer and more as a hockey player.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
sedag

The 2C thread will hopefully answer this question. He should be back at RW with Toews. His play hit another level at times this season when Toews was on the DL but I don't think that was attributable to him playing at center, I think his dip in production was.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Kane should not be traded.

But he needs to be held accountable by the coaching staff and his teammates. Is he better defensively than he used to be - yes, but he's not consistently better. He still dogs it back on defense far too often to be an on-ice leader on the Hawks. He still goes rogue too often where he'll go one on three and lose the puck creating a turnover situation. His shooting seems to have regressed in terms of accuracy and willingness to shoot (lack of confidence in his shot?). Maybe it's wrist related, but doubtful because it was below his standard all season.

It's unfair to compare anyone to Toews' will to win, compete level, dedication, because he is one of those special few athletes who has those intangibles that match his world class physical ability. But, fair or unfair, it's clear that although Kane also has world class physical ability - he come no where near Toews dedication to being the best he can be. It seems like Kane has achieved success and doesn't have the fire in his belly to make himself better - at least not to the extent that produce noticeable results.

In a perfect world, Kane would dedicate himself to improving every aspect of his game. He would borrow Crosby's dryer and shoot pucks all summer long. He would spend more time strength training and less time partying. And when the puck drops next October, his first priority would be to keep the opposition from scoring.

He needs to think of himself less as an entertainer and more as a hockey player.
You mean.. kinda like he did just last summer?

And, no offense, but you're crazy if you think any player with Kane's skill level/offensive ability will put top priority on stopping the other team from scoring over scoring themselves. That's what you have Bolland's for.

Toews cares more about defense than your average star, but even he would rather score a goal than prevent one, I'm sure.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

I think that wrist injury really hurt his season. By reports, he was poised to break out... had worked out hard all year long and put on some muscle.

Well, all you can say is that you hope he repeats that summer's worth of work and doesn't get unlucky with an injury this time.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I think that wrist injury really hurt his season. By reports, he was poised to break out... had worked out hard all year long and put on some muscle.

Well, all you can say is that you hope he repeats that summer's worth of work and doesn't get unlucky with an injury this time.
I think there are four main reasons why Kane struggled this year, and one of those could (potentially) be attributed to lingering wrist issues. I'll run them down in order of (perceived) impact:

1) It's hard for any player, even a world class player at that, to have any kind of consistency when he's being constantly moved around. Center, wing, 1st line, 2nd line...now I don't have a problem when it's done out of necessity, but Quenneville consistently ****ed with the lines for little to no reason. It was nearly impossible to develop any kind of cohesion when you never played with the same players while playing the same position.

2) Kane started the season with noticeable drive and effort, but once he hit a rough patch he appeared to be psychologically beaten. I don't know if there is another player on this team that can get frustrated or discouraged enough to where it impacts effort to the degree it can with Kane. Every player has his off nights, but the visible laziness has GOT to stop. This is one of my beefs with Quenneville: he simply lets players get away with bad tendencies to the point it becomes a hard to break habit. Keith's laziness and lack of awareness is another one that comes to mind.

3) I don't think I've ever seen a player skate AWAY FROM THE NET WITH THE PUCK as much as I have with Kane this last season. Why on earth would anyone, let alone Kane or Quenneville, think this is a good idea? Kane's gifts are his hands and vision; these are completely negated when Kane willfully (and unforced) skates with the puck back to the blue line simply to drop some blind, retarded pass. Face the damn net and use your vision and god given gifts to help the offense. Too often Kane was the oppositions best friend.

4) Kane's shot went from lethal and pinpoint 2 years ago to errant and erratic this season. He shot a career low at 9.1% and I'm willing to bet he absolutely shattered his career low for on net %. I don't know if it's his wrist, difficulty resulting from a change in mechanics due to the wrist injury, or simply a regression in his shot, but Kane certainly isn't the scoring threat he was 2 years ago (last year his % was higher but I think that' partially due to the PP). He needs to regain his shot and look to drive the net/score more. When he does it opens up the passing lanes and sets his teammates up for wide open looks. Whatever the reason his shot needs to get better.

Obviously this "trade Kane" stuff is ridiculous, but the Hawks really need to bring in a coach that will sit Kane down, go over game film, and outline these much needed improvements. This team or any team for that matter simply can't have a world class player play that far below what he's capable of. I think a coach that makes players aware of their individual weakness while incorporating such an approach into the overall team concept and tactical philosophy can do wonders for Kane (and obviously the team in general). Most of the above are very fixable (in theory) issues.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Sevanston

I would love to see Kane grow more into playing as a center.

His play as a center this year was lightyears ahead of his play at RW.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

Agreed.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Araxen*

Trade Kane and Sharp before the league figures out they aren't worth their contracts.

Araxen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
madgoat33

yea we should trade them both to nashville or detroit so we get to expose them 6 times every year too.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen View Post
Trade Kane and Sharp before the league figures out they aren't worth their contracts.
Yeah, I want the Hawks to be a lottery team too.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

He will be taking faceoffs against people who have been doing it for up to thirty years (maybe a few even more). I doubt he is ever going to be acceptable for that.

I'd prefer he go back to wing and we get a real center. I like Kane with Toews.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
As a Red Wings fan, I have to say it would be a huge mistake for the Hawks to trade Kane. He's a guy I'd imagine 29 other GMs, Holland included, would love to have on their teams.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

out of the Hawks big contracts Sharp is first trade bait and I highly doubt that happens.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
He will be taking faceoffs against people who have been doing it for up to thirty years (maybe a few even more). I doubt he is ever going to be acceptable for that.

I'd prefer he go back to wing and we get a real center. I like Kane with Toews.
Faceoffs are not an impossible skill to learn (see: Crosby), nor does he need to reach Toews-like levels of dominance in the dot. If he can manage even 50% in the dot, he'd still be the 2nd best faceoff man on our team.

I felt that Kane with Toews really left something to be desired this year. But when he centered his own line, Kane was creating chances on almost every shift.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Araxen*

The team needs somebody who can screen like Buff did, but they seem very few and far between. Brunette was terrible at it.

Araxen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
As I said--I give him another chance next season to have a "rebound year" --BUT IF he does not--THEN we must cosider his plateau and regreesion as a problem...
Here is the problem with this; if he has another down year, his value drops significantly. The combination of another sub-par year plus a larger contract will make his trade value not nearly as valuable as it might be now.

I think you have to explore options. If they can find someone willing to give up a 2 or 3 d-man, a high draft pick or a reliable power forward, and possibly a top notch young goalie that could step into the line-up in 2013-14, Bowman should strongly consider it.

I know that is a king's ransom and probably unrealistic, but if a team is looking to make a splash by getting Kane, it is enticing.

Don't get me wrong; I think Kane is a valuable player. You don't trade him as a panic or reactionary move, but if they can get a lot of really good pieces, it is an interesting possibility.

04-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Fire Quenneville. Hire a new head coach who can make Kane pull his head out of his *** with the puck. If not, trade him while he still has relatively high value. Same with Keith ans Sharp.
I like this trade away our leading goal scorer, one of the best young playmakers in the leagues and one of our best two defenseman, and for what? Then when this team relying on Toews and a Hossa who we don't know how he is after that hit doesn't even make the play-offs next year these trades will look even better.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I love people bashing Sharp and Kane.

Sharp is a 30 goal scoring, 2 way, multiple position playing forward who is also a leader, how many of those guys are in the NHL right now?

Kane is an elite playmaker, but like any playmaker needs people who can score to make plays, Andrew Brunette is the last guy he should have been playing with, keep him at RW his natural position, keep him with Toews who they have good chemistry and add a PF LW and watch his numbers go right back to where they where if not better.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
But since the Cup winner, Kane has scored one goal in his last 13 playoff games.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,586326.column

This is a scary stat.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Too many people are crapping on Kaner. For those that don't know, Kaner tied for the team lead in playoff points not only this year, but last year also. If you want to complain about the whole team underachieving, then go for it.

And you can start with the captain... because in those same 13 games, Toews only has 3 goals and 5 assists.

Last 13 playoff games:

Kane - 10 points
Toews - 8 points

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Kane produced right for his salary and you need to stop with that No defense nonsense
No, he didn't.
Hossa did, Toews did (pts/gm), Sharp did, Kane did not.

You don't want to hear the no defense? Why, because it's true?
How about this,

No PKing, sucks at faceoffs, doesn't play physical, doesn't back check hard like Hossa/Toews/Bolland, floats in the neutral zone too much, and cheats while the puck is in our zone (see Barry Trotz comments)

He is not even close to performing to his cap hit, not saying he can't in the future, but this year was not a good year for him and even he would tell you that.

Make whatever excuses you want, but he should be doing more than what he did this year if he makes 6.3mil/yr.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Too many people are crapping on Kaner. For those that don't know, Kaner tied for the team lead in playoff points not only this year, but last year also. If you want to complain about the whole team underachieving, then go for it.

And you can start with the captain... because in those same 13 games, Toews only has 3 goals and 5 assists.

Last 13 playoff games:

Kane - 10 points
Toews - 8 points
Toews came back from a concussion and wasn't right for at least the 1st 3 games. Not only that, Toews is reliable defensively, PKs, and wins faceoffs. I sure hope Kane would have at least 2 more pts than Toews, because that's all Kane does is get points. At least Toews can hit the net and put the puck in it once in a while.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Toews came back from a concussion and wasn't right for at least the 1st 3 games. Not only that, Toews is reliable defensively, PKs, and wins faceoffs. I sure hope Kane would have at least 2 more pts than Toews, because that's all Kane does is get points. At least Toews can hit the net and put the puck in it once in a while.
Toews is our #1 center and he is our captain. 8 points in 13 games isn't good enough.

If his head wasn't 100%, then he shouldn't have played. Because the team played better in the 3 weeks before he returned than they did with him back in the lineup.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote