Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

HC Donbas

Old
04-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
if i remember correctly, the problem with getting Budi going wasn't money but rather the red tape (re: kickbacks) involved in getting an arena made

i'm sure kolomoisky wants to make a team still, just not in dnipropetrovsk (he said as much)

if all the money/power is concentrated in the don right now, what oligarch can set up shop in kyiv?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Question, is it 5 Ukrainians who can play for the national team? Or 5 players who can get/have a Ukrainian passport?

Tverdovsky is out of contract this year, I wonder if he comes back home to finish his career.
i'm going to assume that it means players who are national team eligible, since the league recognizes guys like tverdovsky as strictly russian and not dual citizens...(from what i understand)

does anyone know the contract situation for guys like haiduchenko, zherdev, mikhnov, vishnevski, but, etc? anyone a free agent?

according to eliteprospects' unofficial list, vishnevski, tverdovsky, denisov, komaritsy, bayev, and zherdev are available

Old
04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
i'm going to assume that it means players who are national team eligible, since the league recognizes guys like tverdovsky as strictly russian and not dual citizens...(from what i understand)

does anyone know the contract situation for guys like haiduchenko, zherdev, mikhnov, vishnevski, but, etc? anyone a free agent?

according to eliteprospects' unofficial list, vishnevski, tverdovsky, denisov, komaritsy, bayev, and zherdev are available
But these players are all considered Russians. Only Bayev has no NT experience with Russia.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

I realize (I stated it in the same post), but maybe they'd be receptive to playing in Ukraine for one reason or another (esp. the guys who have family in Kharkiv)

Old
04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

I understand, but I'm just saying Donbass would still need to find 5 Ukrainians as those players would not count. Not that it would be hard, although they probably wouldn't be KHL quality.

I can't see any of those players going to Ukraine though.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Well if they have to be national team eligible my guesses for Ukrainian additions are Kvitchenko and Razin. Kvitchenko is out of contract I believe (and canít play in the MHL anymore). Razin because he is the only Ukrainian player left in the KHL, but I am not sure if he wants to go to Donetsk.

Then they will probably go with some Ukrainianís already on the roster like Varlamov and Materukhin. I canít think of any that would be Ďgoodí enough. Gaiduchenko isnít going there, I believe he stated he wants to help rebuild Lokomotiv. Maybe a few Sokil players join Donetsk?

If they only have to be Ukrainian passport holders then itís completely different

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

maybe kasianchuk, Shakhraichuk, and klymentiev

Old
04-25-2012, 12:43 AM
smitty10

If they need 5 guys, my guess would be:

Klimentyev
Andrei Mikhnov
Varlamov
Toryanik (if he's available)
Isayenko?

I would assume that if Ponikarovsky or Fedotenko become available that they'd push hard to grab either of them too. I doubt they would go back to Ukraine, but money can change their minds.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:31 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Question, is it 5 Ukrainians who can play for the national team? Or 5 players who can get/have a Ukrainian passport?

Tverdovsky is out of contract this year, I wonder if he comes back home to finish his career.
this

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

zherdev - he resigned new contract with Atlant a few days ago. He is not consider as Ukrainian according to new KHL rules (can not play fot ukrainian NT I believe)

Old
04-25-2012, 05:50 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
zherdev - he resigned new contract with Atlant a few days ago. He is not consider as Ukrainian according to new KHL rules (can not play fot ukrainian NT I believe)
Officially? I only heard rumours that is almost done - new two year deal.

Razin is under contract with Traktor for one more season. It's hard to see anyone from Sokil who's really worth signing. Dinamo Riga also pulled Latvians out of really questionable leagues, but they were relatively young bunch, who were pretty dominant Belarus, Hungary, etc. My point is they had potential and look have far they have come, Darzins, M. Redlihs, Galvins, Masalskis and few more. Hard to see veterans like Kasyanchuk, let alone Shakhraichuk or Simchuk adjusting to KHL pace anymore. As the last WC D1A showed, the age of Ukrainian soviet generation is over.

Maybe worth picking up Andrushenko or Yegorov from Belarus. They are well regarded there and have somewhat more impressive CV's like young VHL-ers Toryanik or Ramazanov who showed absolutely nothing in WC 9but to be fair, no Ukrainian did anything good there, besides Pobedonostev). Interesting summer ahead.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

http://www.atlant-mo.ru/news/news-at...330111723.html

seems it is official. 2y deal

Old
04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
"choose" lol right

"choose russia or we don't sign you"

some choice
precisely so, the $ floodgates open, you train in a Russian hockey school and so on...Of cause you always have a choice to go play in Ukrainian league, no one's stopping them.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
precisely so, the $ floodgates open, you train in a Russian hockey school and so on...Of cause you always have a choice to go play in Ukrainian league, no one's stopping them.
I realize. It's just that no other pro league in the world pays to poach players like this. It's such a bush league tactic.

"we want you, we can't have "foreign" players on the team....but we can print you a passport on this inkjet printer here if you sign with us"

imagine if canada was poaching russian and other european kids in order to play in the CHL would be funny to see someone like Yakupov playing in the world juniors for the other side just so he can train in better league with better exposure like Sarnia / the OHL

Old
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
cska78

Canada has done that before - Peter Nedved comes to mind. Not being able to have foreign players - defends the local kids (right or wrong - different conversation), Ukrainians usually come to Russia at a very young age, just to be able to practice hockey, so technically - they are Ukrainian born, Russia - trained players.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Canada has done that before - Peter Nedved comes to mind. Not being able to have foreign players - defends the local kids (right or wrong - different conversation), Ukrainians usually come to Russia at a very young age, just to be able to practice hockey, so technically - they are Ukrainian born, Russia - trained players.
most go to Russia at like 16-18 years old, so majority of their training isn't in Russia, just like finishing school

and yeah, Canada took Nedved...because he had to defect during the Cold War have some relevant examples?

Old
04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Xokkeu

I think Zherdev and Babchuk were 16 when they went to Russia. Was Sobchenko 16 too? SO any Russians moaning about Galchenyuk wanting to play for the US, which he can't now anyway, might want to look in the mirror.

Anyway, the good news is that Donbass should put an end to this.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Except Galchenyuk is American, born in America, and trained in America....and his dad is Belarusian-American

Russians will have a hard argument on that one.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
cska78

Quote:
Except Galchenyuk is American, born in America, and trained in America....and his dad is Belarusian-American

who's moaning about Galchenyuk? When Nedved "defected the cold war"? in the 90's lol?

Old
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
cska78

Quote:
most go to Russia at like 16-18 years old, so majority of their training isn't in Russia, just like finishing school

and yeah, Canada took Nedved...because he had to defect during the Cold War have some relevant examples?
again in the early 90's the whole Dinamo Kharkov school has defected to Russia, only escaping the ravaging poverty of Ukrainian hockey, not the cold war this time, lol.
All misunderstanding aside, I am all pro revamping Ukrainian hockey. For example Lisov in RA is Ukr born, but he clearly was younger than 16 when he moved to CSKA school.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Unfortunately not trained in America enough and thus not eligible for the IIHF. Anyway, the point is that now Ukrainian kids can stay home and play at a high level. Still might need some decent investment in the national program however.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
When Nedved "defected the cold war"? in the 90's lol?
he defected from communist Czechoslovakia as a refugee in 1989...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Unfortunately not trained in America enough and thus not eligible for the IIHF.
huh? maybe I'm not up on him or his history but he was playing in Chicago in 2009, and was a domestic player in the OHL draft...

Last edited by Sokil: 04-25-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old
04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
When Nedved "defected the cold war"? in the 90's lol?
Nedved defected January 2nd 1989, he still won't name the people who helped him defect. Nedved is playing for the Czech republic internationally now, certainly a different era.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
huh? maybe I'm not up on him or his history but he was playing in Chicago in 2009, and was a domestic player in the OHL draft...
That appears to be the only year he played hockey in the US.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
That appears to be the only year he played hockey in the US.
I thought I read about him playing abroad but I'm googling right now and can't find any mention of it. Just being American and all his stats start in the US.