HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - The Team Czech Thread (The Official Olympics Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

vCash: 500
IT's my 32nd Birthday!!!!!!! Canada is shut-out (bet they wish they Sully now). Modano loses and cries like my 1 year old daughter. And at least one Predator player will play in the Gold medal game. Good day all around.

PS the Miracle on ice took place 26 years ago today

Old
02-23-2006, 02:00 AM
volzok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Second the comments on Waddel.

Next olympics, Ryan Suter should be suiting up...hopefully David Legwand as well...
I agree. The US should have taken all of the youngsters this year and got them the experience. They took a lump anyway taking the vets. Really only Chelios played well enough to say he deserved to stay. No other vets played well at all, Schneider maybe. You could tell Laviolette had no faith in them at the end of the game. Modano, Tkachuk,Guerin didnt see much time when they got it to one. Wouldnt have thought the US weakness would have been scoring. Defintely wouldnt have thought that about the Canada. Maybe they should have taken the youngsters too. Spezza, Staal, Crosby. I guess hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Old
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzok
I agree. The US should have taken all of the youngsters this year and got them the experience. They took a lump anyway taking the vets. Really only Chelios played well enough to say he deserved to stay. No other vets played well at all, Schneider maybe. You could tell Laviolette had no faith in them at the end of the game. Modano, Tkachuk,Guerin didnt see much time when they got it to one. Wouldnt have thought the US weakness would have been scoring. Defintely wouldnt have thought that about the Canada. Maybe they should have taken the youngsters too. Spezza, Staal, Crosby. I guess hindsight is always 20/20 though.
I, too, was disappointed in who the U.S. brought. What has William Guerin brought to the table this year? Yeah he was an effective player in 03/04, but two years later, he's struggling to outpace a guy like Adam Hall.

I think the U.S. should have some potential in 2010. They'll be bringing in a very young team as the bumper crop of '02 to '06 will be starting to get into full swing.

We could have a great young blueline including guys like Komisarek (28 with 5 full years of NHL experience), Whitney (27 with 5 years of NHL experience), Suter (25 with 5 years of NHL experience), J. Johnson (23 with 3/4 years of NHL experience), Mara (31 with 10 years of NHL experience), Leopold (29 with 7 years of NHL experience), and Ballard (27 with 5 years of NHL experience).

And there is some incredible defense talent that is just now bubbling up and will be borderline as 2010 approaches. Mark Stuart will be 25. A.J. Thelen will be 23. Brian Lee will be 22. Matt Lashoff will be 23. Joe Finley will be 22. Matt Niskanen will be 23. All these guys were taken in the first round of the 2003-2005 NHL drafts (Suter and Johnson were excluded because they were mentioned previously).

And Mckeens has Erik Johnson (21), Bob Sanguinetti (21), and Nigel Williams (21) all as U.S. defenseman ranked in the top 11 of the upcoming 2006 draft. Their ages for the 2010 Olympics are in parenthesis. And Johnson and Williams are both 6'4" and weigh 225. And both are incredibly skaters according to Mckeen's.

This total group is very diverse. You have bruisers like Komisarek, Mara, Stuart, Finley, Nigel Williams and Erik Johnson. You have offensively talented guys like Sanguinetti, Niskanen, Leopold, Ballard, Whitney, and Thelen. And you have all around guys like Suter, Lee, and Jack Johnson.

Old
02-23-2006, 09:59 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by volzok
Defintely wouldnt have thought that about the Canada. Maybe they should have taken the youngsters too. Spezza, Staal, Crosby. I guess hindsight is always 20/20 though.
I thought Canada constructed a horrible team. It's very difficult to ask star players such as Rick Nash to play subserviant roles. And therein lay Canada's problem. They don't have enough role players. Instead, they had two dozen star players asked to perform at their best mired in unfamiliarity. That's a recipe for disaster. They got lucky in '02 with a similarly built roster. But they still looked terrible in pool play that year and benefitted from an easy road to the Gold medal game. And they bested a team USA squad built in a similar fashion, only the Canadians had more talent.

You saw what happens when the easy road isn't available. Unfamiliar players playing in unfamiliar roles on unfamiliar ice under unfamiliar rules is a recipe for disaster. And while it'll be difficult to gain the level familiarity with the ice and rules that Europeans have, I think they could go a long way towards solving unfamiliarity with roles and teammates. Canada is the only country that could pull this off probably, but they could steal 2/3rds to one entire line and place it in the Olympics. Let's say that you have an All-star line such as Marleau-Thornton-Cheechoo (I don't think it works out like this in real life, but it's just a hypothetical). They should be a top 2 line for Canada. And why they didn't have a Draper - Maltby - Madden type of third line is beyond me.

I think this forward lineup would have been better suited for success:

Gagne - Thornton - Cheechoo
Smyth - Spezza - Heatley
Iginla - Sakic - Tanguay
Madden - Draper - Maltby

You'd have guys better suited to the roles they were in. Give 15-16 minutes a piece to the 3 top lines and 12-15 minutes to the bottom line. And skew the time based on their play. Each line has blazer or two, each of the first two lines has a dynamite set-up guy, a goal scorer, and physical presence. And each has two teammates who play together on the same line on their NHL team (I think Sakic and Tanguay do, but I'm not sure). I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I would love to see it in action.

Old
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
volzok

I agree. You have put set out roles in the Olympics. I think there are some coaches that try to play everyone the same to keep them happy. You just cant do that. Also I think one of the biggest problems for Canada was their lack of leadership. When they won gold, they had some great captains like Lemieux, Yzerman etc. This time they really didnt have anyone that stepped up to the plate. I think that plus the bad combinations sealed Canada's fate.

Old
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
muddycreek*

OR the Europeans are dominating the NHLtoo?

Old
02-23-2006, 09:38 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
OR the Europeans are dominating the NHLtoo?
I have no idea what you are getting at, but I think Europeans have a built in advantage in the Olympics. It's their rules and their ice which presents quite a hurdle for North Americans to climb. Yes, they all play in the same NHL, but Brad Richards has probably played 15-20 games of his entire life on big ice with international rules. Someone like Ovechkin has played 300-400 games on big ice with international rules throughout his life. Even those like Danny Markov who have been in North America for a while have a huge advantage. It's like driving stick. You can stop driving one and come back 10 years later and pick it up a lot better than someone who never did to begin with.

It's like this in basketball too. In basketball, international rules aren't really international rules. They are European rules. It's interesting that while North America invented hockey, contains the largest hockey playing populace, and houses the world's greatest players in the world's greatest league, it takes second fiddle to Europe when it comes to creating common rules between continents.

I'd love to listen in on a lecture by a hockey historian that breaks down exactly how international rules came about and how they appear, on the surface, to be almost entirely influenced by European hockey.

Old
02-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
commies

Old
02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Two BAD goals allowed by Hnilicka and the score goes to 4-1 ... this game was gonna be ugly from the beginning ... 6-1 Czechs on Swedish ice in the 2004 WCOH

Old
02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
RollingPredFan

Well now its 5-1 sweden, can't blame this on Vokoun lol

Not that he was playing all that great before...

Vokoun is now in net, I hope he can shut them down, but now its too late anyways lol

I am so ready for the olympic break to be over

Old
02-24-2006, 10:46 AM
RollingPredFan

Hmm 5-3 now, maye they can comeback and Tomas shuts them down that would be ideal

Old
02-24-2006, 10:58 AM
RollingPredFan

Oh well now its 6-3 tomas was being barraged... oh well get this game over already haha

Old
02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
SmokeyClause

Wow the Czech's are a joke. Probably the worst disciplined game for any team during this Olympics. Pavel Kubina (I think he's #13) played the worst game I've witnessed from an NHLer. His performance today made Vokoun's performance against Canada seem MVP-esque by comparison.

On a brighter side, I thought Zidlicky played good and Erat played great. I thought Erat flew around and generated chances and was arguably the Czech's best forward. It seemed like his ice time increased dramatically as the game went on.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
as long as Sweden doesn't take the gold I'll be happy.

Old
02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Wow the Czech's are a joke. Probably the worst disciplined game for any team during this Olympics. Pavel Kubina (I think he's #13) played the worst game I've witnessed from an NHLer. His performance today made Vokoun's performance against Canada seem MVP-esque by comparison.

On a brighter side, I thought Zidlicky played good and Erat played great. I thought Erat flew around and generated chances and was arguably the Czech's best forward. It seemed like his ice time increased dramatically as the game went on.
This could be good for Vokoun. If Hlnicka has lost the teams confidence, then Vokoun should get a shot at starting for the Bronze medal game. To be honest, I thought all of our players have played exceptionally well, save for Vokoun at the Olympics. Markov has been arguably one of the top 3 defensemen, as has Zidlicky....and Kimmo has been playing good hockey as well. As for Erat, he flies on international ice.....and he definitely will be chosen for the Vancouver games IMO. I'm proud of our players, and I can't wait to see them return to Nashville.

Can we please resign Danny Markov??? Please please please please!

02-24-2006, 04:06 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
I agree, I wasn't his biggest fan when he first got to Nashville, but he has become one of my fav. predators.

Old
02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
dulzhok

Good article on Markov today at NHLPA.com
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3552

It will be an interesting situation with Markov... He will likely be wanting a long-term contract (atleast 3 years). Ideally, we lock him up for 2 years.

How he plays in the playoffs will dicate how much money he will command, and how much interest other teams are going to show.

It's hard to get a handle on what will happen.

Old
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Czechs win Bronze

Old
02-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Czechs win Bronze
Vokoun gets the shutout, Erat has the game-winning goal and picks up an assist, Zidlicky scores on the PP, all is well for these three Preds.

Unfortunately, I thought Markov had a good tournament and hoped that he would get a medal...but someone has to lose.

Timonen goes for gold tomorrow!

Old
02-25-2006, 05:33 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
4 out of 5 preds olympians will be getting a medal. not too shabby!!

Old
02-25-2006, 05:40 PM
handtrick

Haven't seen the Tivo'd game yet....but did vokoun get tested today and play well or was he generally not tested due to *cough* good defense by the Czechs...or more was it...more likely......self-implosion by the Russians?

Old
02-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Osprey

Very good day for Preds players: two goals and a shutout! They were the difference.

Old
02-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Haven't seen the Tivo'd game yet....but did vokoun get tested today and play well or was he generally not tested due to *cough* good defense by the Czechs...or more was it...more likely......self-implosion by the Russians?
a combination of decent defense ... the Russians had a good number of shots ... but not a ton of chances from the slot ... I specifically remember Jan Bulis blocking a Malkin shot from the slot ... but the first two periods were definitely the Czechs

Old
02-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
I thought he played a good game. He didn't have to be unbelievable, but he stopped everything and had good rebound control. If they had him in net with this performance yesterday, they could very well be competing for gold on Sunday.

Best possible outcome for this game: Vokoun with a shutout, Erat with a goal and assist, and Zidlicky with the back breaking PPG...and just a great game all around for all 3.

Old
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
handtrick

I say we just leave this thread stickied until 2010......

Closed Thread