HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2012 Regular Season (Finding New Ways to Lose Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Turrible.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Turrible.
Come on. Wade Miley is a first ballot HOFer. You can't expect them to beat a guy like that. What? This is only is eighth career start and he is filling a spot in the rotation for an injured teammate? ****.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
we're in hell people .

Old
04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Hopefully not but..

Old
04-24-2012, 03:19 AM
RussianRocket10

That's odd. ESPN must have switched Philadelphia and Washington by mistake.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:24 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Phils have all the time in the world though right now to turn it around.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post

Old
04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Time to bring up D-Brown? He isn't exactly killing it in AAA, but at this point it couldn't hurt. Does Mayberry have any options left? I wouldn't be opposed to calling up Fontenot either and sticking him at 2B. Galvis is fun to watch in the field but we need someone who is going to hit.

Old
04-24-2012, 09:21 AM
mm6492

Hate to bring stuff like this up, but Michael Cuddyer is hitting .345. Wouldn't mind that in the lineup over Polanco (.200), Galvis (.214), or Mayberry (.205).

Old
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Hate to bring stuff like this up, but Michael Cuddyer is hitting .345. Wouldn't mind that in the lineup over Polanco (.200), Galvis (.214), or Mayberry (.205).
The problem is he'd be playing 1B, and then he'd have no spot when Howard came back. He's deaf in his left ear so he isn't comfortable playing LF or 3B.

Old
04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Their problems are Amaro's fault. He knew that both Utley and Howard would be out for a while. He should have gotten some better pieces to fill the voids these two hitters leave. Derrick Lee would be a nice fill in for first base than Mayberry and Thome as much as I love these two.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
The problem is he'd be playing 1B, and then he'd have no spot when Howard came back. He's deaf in his left ear so he isn't comfortable playing LF or 3B.
He can play 2nd and I'm pretty sure he's fairly comfortable at 3rd. I can understand the problem with playing LF though. Either way, too late now. He wasn't going to come here to ride the bench if/when our guys gets healthy.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
kicksave27

Luckily, we who were around for the mid 80's on are totally not phased by the proposition of a loosing phillies team. For me the phillies being successful is odd.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Their problems are Amaro's fault. He knew that both Utley and Howard would be out for a while. He should have gotten some better pieces to fill the voids these two hitters leave. Derrick Lee would be a nice fill in for first base than Mayberry and Thome as much as I love these two.
I don't know. I think Amaro made a mistake with signing the same type of players. Nix, Thome, and Wigginton are all the same player more or less. However, I don't think he really expected Chase to be out long term, but if the reports are true Chase feels better than he did at any point last year, so I think we might be looking at a return in the next couple weeks.

Also, part of the reason they're sucking is because Mayberry has completely fallen apart. You couldn't have anticipated that. You had to be thinking he would give you more or less what you got last year, as he was a guy with a ton of potential that never figured it out. You thought he finally figured it out, but he didn't.

Another reason for the offense sucking is Polanco. You know he'd get hurt at some point, but he was still a good hitter last year when he wasn't hurt. He looks completely shot now, and he's supposedly healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He can play 2nd and I'm pretty sure he's fairly comfortable at 3rd. I can understand the problem with playing LF though. Either way, too late now. He wasn't going to come here to ride the bench if/when our guys gets healthy.
I don't think he can really play 2nd anymore though, I could be wrong. But you're right it doesn't matter because he would eventually go back to being a bench player, and that wouldn't fly with someone who is a starter.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Amateur Hour

Better get used to it, people, this **** show on offense isn't going to end anytime soon. Honestly, I'll be surprised if the Phillies even make the playoffs.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Better get used to it, people, this **** show on offense isn't going to end anytime soon. Honestly, I'll be surprised if the Phillies even make the playoffs.
I knew the offense would be bad. I figured it would be worse than last year, but not this bad. I thought they'd continue the downward trend in terms of making the playoffs, perhaps not winning the division, maybe the Wild Card. But with the advent of the 2nd wild card and 1 game play-in, I thought they'd make it there and lose in that "round."

You're probably right. I see them struggling to make it to .500 with a roster this poor at the plate unless there's an unforeseen variable that changes it for the better.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Flyersfan139

There were flyers chants at the phillies game in Arizona last night haha. Philly fans are the best.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Perhaps this has been posted before but..

2008- Win World Series.
2009- Lose in World Series.
2010- Lose in NLCS.
2011- Lose in NLDS.
2012- Next step, miss playoffs.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Perhaps this has been posted before but..

2008- Win World Series.
2009- Lose in World Series.
2010- Lose in NLCS.
2011- Lose in NLDS.
2012- Next step, miss playoffs.
Next step now would lose in the WC game.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Steddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I knew the offense would be bad. I figured it would be worse than last year, but not this bad. I thought they'd continue the downward trend in terms of making the playoffs, perhaps not winning the division, maybe the Wild Card. But with the advent of the 2nd wild card and 1 game play-in, I thought they'd make it there and lose in that "round."

You're probably right. I see them struggling to make it to .500 with a roster this poor at the plate unless there's an unforeseen variable that changes it for the better.
How do you figure?

Take out any team's #3 and #4 hitters and see what happens. Relying on a squad that as a whole bats under .300 to get on base and get driven in is the recipe for an offensive disaster. Our bats were pretty bad most of last season, seems like everyone fails to remember Hamels never getting any run support.

It seems that the Phils have more fair weather fans than any other of the sports in Philly. There's a whole season still to play. Seems like everyone doesn't realize that Howard is going to probably play a decent chunk of the season and Utley has the possibility to.

Also Amaro could trade for something midseason...but IMO...he kinda dropped the ball on the offseason. Pitching wasn't the reason we lost last year...it was our anemic bats. It's bad when someone throws 10 innings of shut out ball and the offense can't seem to string together a damn thing. Kind of like someone throwing a 1-run complete game loss...so it's not even like any of this should be a surprise. Nothing was done.

Once the Flyers handle business I'll watch the Phils but as of right now, I sure am glad there's some hockey to watch.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I still like the additions the team made in the offseason. Fantastic bench guys. Wigginton has been solid (from what I've seen) and Nix is starting to warm up, hit a moonshot tonight, and Pierre is a must have in the lineup now.

The problem is the star power/health/age of the team (they all go hand in hand). Ty Wigginton, Laynce Nix, and Juan Pierre weren't going to change that. Honestly we need a miracle. Our top trade pieces are Hamels and Brown, and trading either would be extremely counterproductive to the future of the team.

I've also heard (don't shoot the messenger) that Utley may have played his last game in a Phillies uniform, mainly because Amaro is fed up with him. I don't think it's terribly far-fetched to trade Utley, but Amaro should be more angry at himself. Utley wasn't forthcoming by any means, but it doesn't take a genius to realize something is wrong when he hasn't played all spring.

Something needs to happen though. They need some new energy. Even Pence seems much quieter now.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I've also heard (don't shoot the messenger) that Utley may have played his last game in a Phillies uniform, mainly because Amaro is fed up with him. I don't think it's terribly far-fetched to trade Utley, but Amaro should be more angry at himself. Utley wasn't forthcoming by any means, but it doesn't take a genius to realize something is wrong when he hasn't played all spring.

Something needs to happen though. They need some new energy. Even Pence seems much quieter now.
Im not sure what you can get for Utley, he was a glorified singles hitter last year but he still can get on base. As you said Amaro has no one to blame but himself. Guys like Theriot and Keppinger were out there that could have gotten.

Depending on what they are at the AB, but I wouldnt mind a fire sale if they are extremely far behind ( I know I am in the minority but I wanted major shakeups after game 5 last year). They would never do this but this team is to old and to slow, they also have a terrible approach at the plate. I would try to get rid of Victorino, Utley, and Pence. (if he is back and productive), possibly Halladay/Lee. not sure about there about there NTC, but they dont deserve this garbage. They deserve to go to a place where they win. Resign Hamels and build a team around him and Vanimal, which is easily good enough to win in the playoffs with. You'd have to keep JRoll and Howard and I want to keep Chooch. Let Galvis play 2nd and call up Brown.

I dont mind watching bad baseball, what I do have problem is watching bad baseball where I see nothing coming of it. This is where I see this team, most of them are old and they arent going to be good enough to win a world series. So start the rebuilding process now and get this team younger. But the people in this town have been spoiled and will never settle for this, so the Phillies are really in a no win situation. The longer they wait the harder it is going to be to try to retool this team. This isnt a knee jerk reaction, they need a huge change and it needs to start by getting younger.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

There are 144 more games to play. Howard and Utley will come back and give you more than you're getting from those positions, and they'll probably make a trade. Most likely not a huge trade, but you don't need one. You just need serviceable offense with this pitching.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Justified
Amaro out

I just dont think those two are going to give them as much as we hope.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
There are 144 more games to play. Howard and Utley will come back and give you more than you're getting from those positions, and they'll probably make a trade. Most likely not a huge trade, but you don't need one. You just need serviceable offense with this pitching.
Is Howard even anywhere close to returning?

Closed Thread