HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Karri Ramo to Tampa?

Old
04-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
neither could Tim Thomas in the IHL, what's your point? its strange how players develop with time, so weird.
My point is that he went from sub-.900 sv% each year in the NHL and AHL to immediately putting up a high percentage in the KHL the next few years. To me, that doesn't scream development, it just suggests that Ramo plays much better in the KHL system (which is a different brand of hockey from the NHL). Last year he posted under 2.00 GAA and over .920SV% and got the same last year, and I still bet he doesn't get a sniff at an NHL job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Next TML goalie then?
No, Toronto looks for goalies with decent stats, and then brings them down once they join the team.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
My point is that he went from sub-.900 sv% each year in the NHL and AHL to immediately putting up a high percentage in the KHL the next few years. To me, that doesn't scream development, it just suggests that Ramo plays much better in the KHL system (which is a different brand of hockey from the NHL). Last year he posted under 2.00 GAA and over .920SV% and got the same last year, and I still bet he doesn't get a sniff at an NHL job.
Do you know anything about goaltenders? how often do goaltenders under 23 succeed at the NHL level? Not many and even less are late round picks like Ramo. Karri has his 23, 24 & 25 year old seasons in the KHL which for most goaltenders are the years they do the most developing. To think there is no development is crazy. Maybe he does or doesn't pan out, but to write off a guy that will be coming over to sign just before he turns 27 is not very smart.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Do you know anything about goaltenders? how often do goaltenders under 23 succeed at the NHL level? Not many and even less are late round picks like Ramo. Karri has his 23, 24 & 25 year old seasons in the KHL which for most goaltenders are the years they do the most developing. To think there is no development is crazy. Maybe he does or doesn't pan out, but to write off a guy that will be coming over to sign just before he turns 27 is not very smart.
I didn't write him off completely. He said I was wrong when I said he hasn't proved anything, which when the OP suggested TB should have him as their starter, is true. He hasn't proven he can play in the AHL or the NHL. I don't care what he does in Russia, because he hasn't proven he can play in North America. Development or not.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Tim Thomas had a quirky developmental path and so does Pekka Rinne. Ramo might have a chance as a Flame, though.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
And that is where you are wrong. just because he did not want to come over and play behind a 23 year old Carey Price for the rest of his career, does not mean he would not consider the notion of backing up his idol for one season.
I think Ramo just wants to actually play. Something that won't happen behind Kipper. The guy has said he's perfectly happy staying in the KHL.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
No, Toronto looks for goalies with decent stats, and then brings them down once they join the team.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think Ramo just wants to actually play. Something that won't happen behind Kipper. The guy has said he's perfectly happy staying in the KHL.
He has recently said he has every intention of returning to the NHL to play for the Flames once his contract expires in Russia. Kipper's contract expires at the same time and he will either retire or sign elsewhere. Either way Ramo will get a shot in Calgary.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
He has recently said he has every intention of returning to the NHL to play for the Flames once his contract expires in Russia. Kipper's contract expires at the same time and he will either retire or sign elsewhere. Either way Ramo will get a shot in Calgary.
Fair enough, but he's not returning to be a backup.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

When the habs acquired Ramo, there was an article about him on the habs website saying he only wants to come back to be number 1/ a really good shot at being number one.

Tampa traded him away for Desjardins who they let go and signed to play with Colorado iirc.

The only player Tampa might value less is Scott Gomez.

On a sidenote, you ****ers trade the habs Janus

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote