04-25-2012, 01:12 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
That Santana trade eh?
What a great return we got there...
And to think we could have had Ellsbury...but no, we had to get Gomez. Which turned into Hardy, which turned into...oh wait.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:36 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Ten bucks say Liriano walks and Twins get a compensation pick which they blow.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Ten bucks say Liriano walks and Twins get a compensation pick which they blow.
Hopefully the next CBA doesn't fix the compensation picks.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:47 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Does anyone think Minnesota might...blow up their team?

Old
04-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Does anyone think Minnesota might...blow up their team?
Other than Koivu and Backstrom? What exactly is left? I suppose Bouchard, but no one wants to take a chance on that.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Other than Koivu and Backstrom? What exactly is left? I suppose Bouchard, but no one wants to take a chance on that.
Wrong Minnesota team. The Twins :p

Could we trade Mauer? Like to New York? Con them? I heard Boston needs a catcher!

Old
04-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Wrong Minnesota team. The Twins :p

Could we trade Mauer? Like to New York? Con them? I heard Boston needs a catcher!
Geez. I Meeched that one. I think we should. That way, we don't have to be scrounging in 2-3 years. By then our next, good batch of prospects should be up and we should start improving.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:58 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Geez. I Meeched that one. I think we should. That way, we don't have to be scrounging in 2-3 years. By then our next, good batch of prospects should be up and we should start improving.
What good batch of prospects???

Old
04-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

The team's already blown up.. There's one or two roster players with positive value and everyone else either sucks now or has always sucked. Blowing up a team implies we'd get **** in return.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Oswaldo Arcia and Miguel Sano are going to be absolute studs. I think Joe Benson could be around for a while. Eddie Rosario could develop into something big.

Not to mention all of those prospects can hit for average and power.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Hopefully the next CBA doesn't fix the compensation picks.
The next Baseball CBA needs to include an NFL style cap and floor system with real revenue sharing.

And I would be willing to watch several seasons be lost to work stoppage to make it happen. MLB needs a MAJOR overhaul in the economics department to become both fair and competitive.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:08 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
The team's already blown up.. There's one or two roster players with positive value and everyone else either sucks now or has always sucked. Blowing up a team implies we'd get **** in return.
In baseball, you can always turn a negative into a positive (Hello Vernon Wells!)

Old
04-25-2012, 03:11 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
MLB needs a MAJOR overhaul in the economics department to become both fair and competitive.
Why?

You can't really force teams to spend on scouting departments.

And it really comes to bite teams in the ass sometimes. Look at Vernon Wells, Joe Mauer...if teams want to be stupid and give up so much money, why shouldn't they?

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays aren't winning by overspending. They are starting to put a ton of money into scouting resources and many are becoming home grown talent.

You could see this when both the Yanks and Sox say eff you to Minnesota and Santana.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Why?

And it really comes to bite teams in the ass sometimes. Look at Vernon Wells, Joe Mauer...if teams want to be stupid and give up so much money, why shouldn't they?

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays aren't winning by overspending. They are starting to put a ton of money into scouting resources and many are becoming home grown talent.

You could see this when both the Yanks and Sox say eff you to Minnesota and Santana.
Minnesota asked for a Nash-Howson-esque return for Santana. Sure, the Yankees are scouting more. But they also don't have the Royals to farm anymore. If you look back, the Yankees literally used the Kansas City Royals as a farm team. Sure, they may have good prospects, but they also turn around and trade them for the great players that they are willing to play for.

Not to mention, in years past when small market teams know that they aren't going to be able to afford a players signing bonus contract, they forego drafting that player and the next team in line steps up. Thats also how the Yankees and the Red Sox puck over a lot of teams. Economics is a huge factor. And yes, the Yankees and Red Sox are winning by spending a lot of money. They aren't losing because of it.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Minnesota asked for a Nash-Howson-esque return for Santana. Sure, the Yankees are scouting more. But they also don't have the Royals to farm anymore. If you look back, the Yankees literally used the Kansas City Royals as a farm team. Sure, they may have good prospects, but they also turn around and trade them for the great players that they are willing to play for.
Kind of. Yankees have kept some home grown talent lately.

BoSox even more.

Look at the Texas Rangers and their success.

Quote:
Not to mention, in years past when small market teams know that they aren't going to be able to afford a players signing bonus contract, they forego drafting that player and the next team in line steps up. Thats also how the Yankees and the Red Sox puck over a lot of teams. Economics is a huge factor. And yes, the Yankees and Red Sox are winning by spending a lot of money. They aren't losing because of it.
You got the Angels who spent a ton of money and went no where. The Phillies. Yankees and Red Sox went no where last year. Money does not = success in baseball.

If you want to change anything, change the draft and make it so bonuses are only prorated by so much. That's the problem.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:39 AM
651*

Quote:
Quote:
Oswaldo Arcia and Miguel Sano are going to be absolute studs. I think Joe Benson could be around for a while. Eddie Rosario could develop into something big.

Not to mention all of those prospects can hit for average and power.
This. There are a few guys, and need I remind you Kyle Gibson was going to come in this year but, in true Minnesota sports team fashion he blew his arm to shreds. Of course Baker did too and he was our best pitcher last year. We just can't get a break. Beyond the Wild's horrific toll last year, the Wolves lose their new stud (Rubio) this year and a slew of other guys were injured consistently. Then we lose Kyle Gibson. Pretty sure Minnesota led the league (just like the Wild) in call-ups for injured players...MN teams just can't get a break lately.

Quote:
Why?

Need I remind you all that the Twins were the epitome of how to run a small market organization for the better part of the last decade? They were never "high" payroll team; they always came through our system. The second we got Target though it seems though we pretty much lost all that magic.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Need I remind myself to hide razors when I think about Scott Baker being our best pitcher.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:

You got the Angels who spent a ton of money and went no where. The Phillies. Yankees and Red Sox went no where last year. Money does not = success in baseball.

If you want to change anything, change the draft and make it so bonuses are only prorated by so much. That's the problem.
Really? Phillies have been the best team in baseball the last 3 years. The Yankees and Red Sox made the playoffs if I recall correctly. Money does correlate with success. Not guarantee.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:51 AM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Really? Phillies have been the best team in baseball the last 3 years. The Yankees and Red Sox made the playoffs if I recall correctly. Money does correlate with success. Not guarantee.
Phillies are behind only the Yankees in terms of payroll in 2012.
http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

Old
04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Which further proves my point. I know they spent the money. He said that they haven't had success.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Well money sure as hell does not correlate with success for us. Top 10 in payroll, total crap on the field. SWING AND A MISS BY THE TWINS FRONT OFFICE!

Old
04-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well money sure as hell does not correlate with success for us. Top 10 in payroll, total crap on the field. SWING AND A MISS BY THE TWINS FRONT OFFICE!
Thats what happens when 2 players take up 40% of your payroll. Or 55% in your top 4, which includes Willingham and Pavano.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Thats what happens when 2 players take up 40% of your payroll. Or 55% in your top 4, which includes Willingham and Pavano.
We can thank the Yankees and the Red Sox for that one too. We literally HAD to pay Mauer all that undeserved money or else one of those two would have.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

No doubt. There would have been a riot if Mauer left, though. They had to.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:11 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Need I remind myself to hide razors when I think about Scott Baker being our best pitcher.
If we had an '06 Liriano, Kyle Gibson this year playing as good as everyone thought, Pavano workhorse and Baker pitching like he can, that is not a terrible lineup, but '06 Liriano will never return and Gibson is in the crapper for now (as is Baker) and that pretty much says it all.

Worst pitching outfit in the Bigs, and that's not even getting into the 'pen issues (someone remind me why we picked Capps back up @ $4M this year????).

Closed Thread