HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Canada Goaltender for the Olympics

Old
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Lou almost won the cup last year, he team sucked balls in front of him this year... I don't see the hatred for him. Throw any goalie in net, and if your team can't score you really aren't going to win many games.

Price hasn't really accomplished that much in the NHL to be a front-runner for anything right now, it's all praise from Hab fans and the media. It's like the kid has reached 'legendary' status in the league without doing anything about it.
I think its pretty clear that even the canucks coaching staff had more faith in Schneider than they did for Luongo. Even last year, Luongo was taken out of the playoffs against Chicago, and he only got back in because Schneider got hurt.... and we all saw who finished the series against LA. That says alot in itself.

I think he's a good goalie, but not what he used to be. He certainly didn't carry the canucks last year to the finals.

As for Price not having any accomplishments, fine. Lets bring Osgood out of retirement... he's got 3 cups and he only retired recently .

Last edited by Hackett: 04-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
GordonGraham

I tought team canada always liked to reward players who go to the IIHF tournament

Price bailed on them again this year, did the same last year

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
I tought team canada always liked to reward players who go to the IIHF tournament

No you thought wrong lol

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:51 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post

This year, he was concussed. Last year, he was tired after having played over 70 games.

this tournamenyt is a joke, anyway, like the U17 tournament that had just finished. Some of the best - if not the best players 17 and under are playing in the playoffs in their respective Junior leagues. MacKinnon, Drouin and Fucale (just to name 3) would had certainly made an impact over there.

Last edited by habitue*: 04-24-2012 at 05:05 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM
NewHabsEra*

1-price
2-price
3-price

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Hey, I would love to see Price playing for team Canada but...truthfully as someone has mentioned, I rather not have ANY NHL'ers going to the Olympics for ANY sport. Seriously...there shouldn't be any professionals there... So...let Price play for the Olympics, win the gold, and then no NHL's ever again for Olympics
No professionals? No SEL, KHL, AHL either? So Olympics is going to be some garage league competition?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
No professionals? No SEL, KHL, AHL either? So Olympics is going to be some garage league competition?
I would send the best Junior aged players.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Ward
Price
TBD - Either Luongo/Fleury or another goalie that steps up to the plate.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I would send the best Junior aged players.
They do that every year around Christmas time anyway...

Keeping NHL'ers in the Olympics gives us a chance to see something we only see every four years... something special.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:59 AM
smack66

Well, as a Bruins fan I normally want Price to fail ( sorry being honest ). As a Canadian, I want him to be the starting goalie for Team Canada... That in a strange sort of way tells you how good I think he is.

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:41 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Go back to a true national team like the old days you know a team that practices and trains together kinda like the US under 18 team they dedicate 2 years to the program I say we do the same thing for the Olympics.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Go back to a true national team like the old days you know a team that practices and trains together kinda like the US under 18 team they dedicate 2 years to the program I say we do the same thing for the Olympics.
So we can suck at every Olympics like we used to????

The best athletes in the world should be at the Olympics. I could care less about watching 2nd rate competition.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:39 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I still think it is to early to say anything for certain. Fleury could come back next season and help the Pens win another Cup and they how do you keep him off the team with 2 Cups under his belt. Also hard to keep Luongo off since he was in nets for the last gold and if he gets moved to Tampa Bay his new GM is also the Team Canada GM. Price will definitively be given every chance to make the team.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:00 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
So we can suck at every Olympics like we used to????

The best athletes in the world should be at the Olympics. I could care less about watching 2nd rate competition.
If it means the true spirit of ameture athletics is intact hell yes.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Lucius

Quote:
It isn't.

Hasn't been for decades.

The only sports that still send amateurs are those that don't have a professional option.

I know there is something pure and noble and such about the Olympic idea, but it's an antiquated notion that has been entirely overcome by events.

Plus, the whole "juniors are not pros" thing is nowhere nearer the spirit of amateur sports anyway. They're only not pros because they're too young. There is no viable amateur route to making the Olympics short of having a well timed birthday. That's not the spirit of amateur sports. That's a technicality.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It isn't.

Hasn't been for decades.

The only sports that still send amateurs are those that don't have a professional option.

I know there is something pure and noble and such about the Olympic idea, but it's an antiquated notion that has been entirely overcome by events.

Plus, the whole "juniors are not pros" thing is nowhere nearer the spirit of amateur sports anyway. They're only not pros because they're too young. There is no viable amateur route to making the Olympics short of having a well timed birthday. That's not the spirit of amateur sports. That's a technicality.
Actually the NCAA considers CHL junior players pros since they do make money, if only a small amount.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
So... Salt Lake City to you was completely worthless ?
So... Sid standing up and scoring the GWG was not entertaining ?

Standing up behind the best players of every country isn't worthless. Olympic hockey is one of the best thing ever. If you don't like it don't watch.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
So... Salt Lake City to you was completely worthless ?
So... Sid standing up and scoring the GWG was not entertaining ?

Standing up behind the best players of every country isn't worthless. Olympic hockey is one of the best thing ever. If you don't like it don't watch.
There is always national pride there but honestly I would rather see a true team Canada like back in the 80s with the US and their Miracle on ice that to me is what the Olympics is all about.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
There is always national pride there but honestly I would rather see a true team Canada like back in the 80s with the US and their Miracle on ice that to me is what the Olympics is all about.
It's been like that for 20 years and I never saw better olympics than Salt Lake city.
/THREAD.

Salt Lake City was the culmination of a nation where great work and natural born talent primed it's the first moment in my freaking history that made me proud of being canadian ! Now I watch almost every olympics (mostly winter..) sports (Maybe excluding curling and some figure skating )because of that very team...

Wasnt it beautiful ? Didnt it make you go wow we're incredible ?

Doing this to olympic hockey will just kill it.

Tell me do you like Spengler-cup? Because the quality of hockey will be worse than that.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It's been like that for 20 years and I never saw better olympics than Salt Lake city.
/THREAD.

Salt Lake City was the culmination of a nation where great work and natural born talent primed it's the first moment in my freaking history that made me proud of being canadian ! Now I watch almost every olympics (mostly winter..) sports (Maybe excluding curling and some figure skating )because of that very team...

Wasnt it beautiful ? Didnt it make you go wow we're incredible ?

Doing this to olympic hockey will just kill it.

Tell me do you like Spengler-cup? Because the quality of hockey will be worse than that.
I actualy do watch Canada at the Spengler cup so yes I do enjoy it. I think the 80 Olympics in Lake Placid was a better more exciting Olympics than Salt Lake. I don't even like the US when it comes to athletics but what they did with a team ful of NCAA hockey players was truly remarkable and that my friend is the true spirit of the Olympics.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
I actualy do watch Canada at the Spengler cup so yes I do enjoy it. I think the 80 Olympics in Lake Placid was a better more exciting Olympics than Salt Lake. I don't even like the US when it comes to athletics but what they did with a team ful of NCAA hockey players was truly remarkable and that my friend is the true spirit of the Olympics.
I think the hockey would be pretty bad. Canada might dominate hard core imo. Your forgetting that now there are a bunch of professional leagues in europe which there wasn't 20 years ago. All the old players on the euro national teams would be ineligible because most of those all now play in pro euro leagues.

It would be like watching NCAA / CSIS hockey. I'm sure it would be entertaining but the skill level would be miles below the world's best.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I think the hockey would be pretty bad. Canada might dominate hard core imo. Your forgetting that now there are a bunch of professional leagues in europe which there wasn't 20 years ago. All the old players on the euro national teams would be ineligible because most of those all now play in pro euro leagues.

It would be like watching NCAA / CSIS hockey. I'm sure it would be entertaining but the skill level would be miles below the world's best.
Yet it would be within the true meaning of what the Olympics is supposed to be all about and that is AMETURE athletics. I would enjoy it to be honest.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:12 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Dude the "true spirit of the Olympics" like you say was created in 1896. At that time there was no professional leagues (besides maybe baseball). Times change. Olympics have now become the celebration of sports in general with the best athletes competing for their country every 4 years. Including professionals.

In every sport you have the best athletes. Why make sports that have professional leagues suffer by having low tier competitors?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:42 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Hey, I would love to see Price playing for team Canada but...truthfully as someone has mentioned, I rather not have ANY NHL'ers going to the Olympics for ANY sport. Seriously...there shouldn't be any professionals there... So...let Price play for the Olympics, win the gold, and then no NHL's ever again for Olympics

Yeah, who wants to see Usain Bolt, Lindsey Vonn et. al. compete when we could have the local postman or car mechanic fighting it out.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:56 AM
habdynasty

I hated watching the very best Russian players beat up on Canadian college players back before NHL players were allowed in the Olympics. It's great now.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote