HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 04:01 PM
ninetynine*

vCash: 500
Ivanans' size, toughness and NHL experience could be very useful in the tournament.

Old
04-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Honu

Have any players been confirmed?

Old
04-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Have any players been confirmed?
Ivanans can't be reached so probably won't play...
Bārtulis has been called back to NA due to defensive problems of Philadelphia Flyers
While Kulda has play-offs in AHL and Daugavins in NHL, seems like we might not get our North Americans anytime soon... Plus to that Girgensons has fractured jaw and is out for the season and Pelšs in WHL is having a deep play-off run.
Pujacs might come soon, Omsk is 3-1 in Gagarin Cup's final but who knows, maybe Znaroks with Anisin and Leo can prolong the series.
Swiss champion Ķēniņš from ZSC Lions arrives.

Jēkabs Redlihs is out, injury
Cipulis, Ankipāns are out for today's game, so is Jekimovs but they should be ready for the WC. Bičevskis too is training... Džeriņš plays tonight.

At the moment the roster doesn't look that good on paper even if the results look better than they should be

CUT:

Porejs, Jakovļevs- expected as there are a lot of defensemen to choose from with KHL experience, plus Pujacs arrives. I think these are the only oficial confirmations/cuts, probably Liepāja Metalurgs guys too but I'm not sure...

As for players confirmed, pretty sure if KHL guys are in good health, they'll play. I'm talking M.Rēdlihs, Sprukts, Galvins, Bukarts, Meija, Cipulis, Ankipāns from these we've seen in the games. It's hard to say much about D-men but as concerns forwards there are also uncertainties but more as concerns 3rd-4t h line....

Old
04-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Latgale_fan

Latvia - Russia 1-2
Shots: 22:22

Not bad, not bad at all. We clearly lack skilled players but we can skate and fight for every cm of ice. Just like last year when we lost to Finns only in overtime. Indrašis continues to impress me, he was put on the first line today and although didn't score, he didn't look out of place at all. Somehow I even wish that Sprukts and Rēdlihs left Dinamo so that young guys coud have a bigger role in the top class team. Or, at least, Upītis and Indrašis (will be out, because he's over MHL age limit) should be out of MHL level last next year and play higher level league...

Nothing negative to say about this game. It's 5th of our exhibition games already and still I have to say... that i don't have anything negative to say about the team. The roster isn't great, it's true but this team can play. Maybe it's good that we have two games vs France at the end, before the tournament, so we'll see how our team looks compared to a weaker opponent and if these guys can actually score more than one or two goals.... As we see that it's what our problem might lie, like last year.... The team's young, it can skate, it can fight and it can look as good as the opponent when it comes to that qualities but... can it score??

Old
04-21-2012, 07:11 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
The only player which I would like to see being cut is Macijevskis, he looks past it for me. At best he is non-factor. Give a roster spot for a youngster like Indrasis who really needs a good tournament to find a nice and warm spot for next season. He could start his real career in Mestis like Jekimovs and work his way up. I agree that it would be cool if some new blood got thewir chances to play for Dinamo and improve their game like Darzins, M. Redlihs, Karsums, Sprukts and Sotnieks (who by the way currently looks awesome). One name I'd would love to see in KHL next season is Saulietis, in my eyes he has a huge untapped potential. At his time he was viewed as just as promising as Daugavins, but their careers have turned out very differently. Saulietis is a fast and hard working player with shoot first mentality, which could really prosper given the right conditions. A year ago I would of taken before Meija (not anymore), but currently I think he's upgraded version of Stals.

I'm still pretty amazed how many still active players we are missing for one reason or another this season. Our "reserves" could easily give our current roster run for their money

Daugavins - Vasiljevs - Nizivijs
Karsums - Girgensons - Darzins
Pelss - Jekimovs - Ivanans
Kenins

Kulda - Bartulis
J. Redlihs - Ozolins
Pujacs - Kolesnikovs
Sorokins - Jerofejevs
Jass

Raitums
Mustukovs

Last edited by ozo: 04-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old
04-21-2012, 01:30 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Ivanans can't be reached so probably won't play...
Bārtulis has been called back to NA due to defensive problems of Philadelphia Flyers

While Kulda has play-offs in AHL and Daugavins in NHL, seems like we might not get our North Americans anytime soon... Plus to that Girgensons has fractured jaw and is out for the season and Pelšs in WHL is having a deep play-off run.
Pujacs might come soon, Omsk is 3-1 in Gagarin Cup's final but who knows, maybe Znaroks with Anisin and Leo can prolong the series.
Swiss champion Ķēniņš from ZSC Lions arrives.

Jēkabs Redlihs is out, injury
Cipulis, Ankipāns are out for today's game, so is Jekimovs but they should be ready for the WC. Bičevskis too is training... Džeriņš plays tonight.

At the moment the roster doesn't look that good on paper even if the results look better than they should be

CUT:

Porejs, Jakovļevs- expected as there are a lot of defensemen to choose from with KHL experience, plus Pujacs arrives. I think these are the only oficial confirmations/cuts, probably Liepāja Metalurgs guys too but I'm not sure...

As for players confirmed, pretty sure if KHL guys are in good health, they'll play. I'm talking M.Rēdlihs, Sprukts, Galvins, Bukarts, Meija, Cipulis, Ankipāns from these we've seen in the games. It's hard to say much about D-men but as concerns forwards there are also uncertainties but more as concerns 3rd-4t h line....

Damnit!

Double Damnit!

Old
04-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Namejs

vCash: 883
Yup, our B team (pretty much) looks surprisingly good tbh. 4 decent games against the Czechs and Russians. In fact, we looked slightly better than Russia today.

From what I've seen, our game looks quite balanced (in the sense that we're solid enough throughout all of the matches). This is unexpected and I'm very eager to see how well we can perform in the real thing.

Also, is it just me or Artis Ābols kind of is the head coach now, not Nolan? He's doing all the work on the bench during games and he's at least as active as Nolan in team practices. Well, at least that's what one might figure from the footage shown to the public. I don't even know what to think. Is there really a language-barrier, or is it just his style or something?

Old
04-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post

From what I've seen, our game looks quite balanced (in the sense that we're solid enough throughout all of the matches). This is unexpected and I'm very eager to see how well we can perform in the real thing.
Latvia - Russia 1:0
Goals: Meija (Bukarts)
Shots: 15-22

We also can't score. Maybe it's not surprising against teams like Russia or Czech Republic and we had even a younger and less experienced team in Denmark but that remains to be seen- whether or not we'll be able to score against weaker opponents. Last year it was probably our main problem, until the game vs Belarus we just couldn't score more than 1 or 2 goals...

Sure it's great that we can run and hit and be disciplined and maybe earn a point after 1-1 as in the game vs Finland last year but if we won't be able to score against Norway or Denmark... Italy then we'll be in trouble.

On a sidenote, Belarus and Denmark also haven't been goal machines and Norway is losing to France so I guess it's better to win 1-0 vs Russia....

Old
04-21-2012, 04:10 PM
ozo

Quote:
Also, is it just me or Artis Ābols kind of is the head coach now, not Nolan? He's doing all the work on the bench during games and he's at least as active as Nolan in team practices. Well, at least that's what one might figure from the footage shown to the public. I don't even know what to think. Is there really a language-barrier, or is it just his style or something?
Kinda. All I hear during games from Nolan is a shout "Get them! Get them" when we are backchecking in neutral zone. Hey, but while it works, you won't see me complaining.

I'm officially super stoked for the event.

Last edited by ozo: 04-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
04-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Namejs

Haha, yeah, laughed my arse off during this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFIHoBhk8I

Old
04-21-2012, 05:39 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Latvia - Russia 1:0
Goals: Meija (Bukarts)
Shots: 15-22

We also can't score. Maybe it's not surprising against teams like Russia or Czech Republic and we had even a younger and less experienced team in Denmark but that remains to be seen- whether or not we'll be able to score against weaker opponents. Last year it was probably our main problem, until the game vs Belarus we just couldn't score more than 1 or 2 goals...

Sure it's great that we can run and hit and be disciplined and maybe earn a point after 1-1 as in the game vs Finland last year but if we won't be able to score against Norway or Denmark... Italy then we'll be in trouble.

On a sidenote, Belarus and Denmark also haven't been goal machines and Norway is losing to France so I guess it's better to win 1-0 vs Russia....
If we will be able to held Russian calibre teams to only 22 two shots, we will probably have a good chance off winning any game. Hopefully Kenins will gel with his teammates quickly and provide some needed influx of quality.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:17 AM
goodoldhockeygame

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
If we will be able to held Russian calibre teams to only 22 two shots, we will probably have a good chance off winning any game. Hopefully Kenins will gel with his teammates quickly and provide some needed influx of quality.
even though it was for sure not the final Russian team (same for latvia) i was impressed by the results. looking forward to see kenins. saw lots of games of him this season with zsc lions, he had a really good season. is there any chance het gets good playing minutes this wc?

I think there will be a big fight in the group for the lost qf spot, but you will have good chance to earn it i think.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
even though it was for sure not the final Russian team (same for latvia) i was impressed by the results. looking forward to see kenins. saw lots of games of him this season with zsc lions, he had a really good season. is there any chance het gets good playing minutes this wc?
By the looks of it we will have four more or less equally (non)skilled lines. So if he and his linemates will produce, he will probably get a fair chance to express himself.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Baba Booey
Rookie User

Canada will counter Ivanans with John Scott.

Also is that guy thats name ends with S going to play? Just kidding, good job beating those Russians do it again at the WC.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Namejs

Gudļevskis out, Muštukovs in. So now we have 2 goalies who both played less than 20 games in the KHL this year, a goalie from a semi-professional Danish league and a guy playing in Kazakhstan - Mārtiņš 'I-like-jumping-out-of-windows' Raitums whose greatest achievement in the national team is letting in 8 goals against Canada back in 2006.

All hopes on Masaļskis and his experience I guess?

Oh, yeah, and Koba Jass is also likely to be dropped.

The only surprise I guess is that Roberts Bukarts has been described by the coaches as "lacking in work rate" and has been moved to the 5th line in team practices.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:28 PM
ozo

Quote:

The only surprise I guess is that Roberts Bukarts has been described by the coaches as "lacking in work rate" and has been moved to the 5th line in team practices.
I'm glad Nolan had the balls to call him out. Would he be able to the same with a veteran player like Nizivijs who also wasn't a notorious work horse?

I'm starting to believe Nolan is the real deal, now cut Lavins and I'll be a believer that he isn't here only for the money like Hanlon's of this world.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Like Wall

I don't think it was best option to put Ignatjevs and Ābols as coach assistants for Nolan. They both are too ambitious themselves and might ignore coach's instructions. Nolan needs assistants like Ozoliņš, Irbe. You know, guys who know the system of NHL.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Namejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
I don't think it was best option to put Ignatjevs and Ābols as coach assistants for Nolan. They both are too ambitious themselves and might ignore coach's instructions.
Info@source.com? Why do you think they're too ambitious and from where did you get the idea that they might ignore what Nolan's saying?

Quote:
Nolan needs assistants like Ozoliņš, Irbe. You know, guys who know the system of NHL.
Ozoliņš is not a coach. Irbe is a goalie coach. Also, what system are you talking about?

Old
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
smitty10

I have a feeling that you'll be getting a few of your North American based players back soon. It's nice to see how strong Latvia is becoming. They can definitely compete and pull off a few upsets, especially if Daugavins, Bartulis, Kulda and Ivanans could be there.

If every Latvian player was available, what would be the best possible roster that Latvia could send to this years WC?

Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I have a feeling that you'll be getting a few of your North American based players back soon. It's nice to see how strong Latvia is becoming. They can definitely compete and pull off a few upsets, especially if Daugavins, Bartulis, Kulda and Ivanans could be there.

If every Latvian player was available, what would be the best possible roster that Latvia could send to this years WC?
One thing for sure Ivanans wouldn't be there for sure because years NA has ruined him as a hockey player.

My take on our current dream team (random lines):
Darzins - Sprukts - M. Redlihs
Daugavins - Vasiljevs - Karsums
Saulietis - A. Sirokovs - Cipulis
Jekimovs - Girgensons - Saulietis
Pelss/Bukarts/Stals

Pujacs - Rekis
Galvins - Bartulis
Kulda - K. Redlihs
Jerofejevs

Masalskis
Raitums
Mustukovs

Our only real weak link is C, that's why I put the retired Vasiljevs on roster.

Old
04-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Info@source.com? Why do you think they're too ambitious and from where did you get the idea that they might ignore what Nolan's saying?
(personīgais viedoklis, Znaroka skola utt.)

Quote:
I have a feeling that you'll be getting a few of your North American based players back soon. It's nice to see how strong Latvia is becoming
Huh? Denmark has achieved more in hockey in the last few years than Latvia can possible dream of achieving. Danes have more good quality NHL players than we do, and their players are actually playing in NHL and not rotating like spare parts to AHL. We lack leaders, tall players and good, persistent talents, who can, in alarming situations, sometimes pull the weight of the game on their own shoulders. Nah, we still are, where we were. It will take years and few changes in LHF (federation) to change things.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:24 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
(personīgais viedoklis, Znaroka skola utt.)

Huh? Denmark has achieved more in hockey in the last few years than Latvia can possible dream of achieving. Danes have more good quality NHL players than we do, and their players are actually playing in NHL and not rotating like spare parts to AHL. We lack leaders, tall players and good, persistent talents, who can, in alarming situations, sometimes pull the weight of the game on their own shoulders. Nah, we still are, where we were. It will take years and few changes in LHF (federation) to change things.
Denmark may have more high-end talent, but I believe depth wins games and that Latvia has more depth than Denmark. At a full-strength roster, look at the depth of Latvia who's players play in a top league in the world and hold their own. Now add Daugavins, Kulda, Ivanans, Bartulis and the up-and-coming players like Girgensons and Blugers and see where Latvia ranks. Outside of their NHLers, Lauridsen and Frederik Andersen, Denmark is a fairly weak team.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
ozo

Quote:
Denmark may have more high-end talent, but I believe depth wins games and that Latvia has more depth than Denmark. At a full-strength roster, look at the depth of Latvia who's players play in a top league in the world and hold their own. Now add Daugavins, Kulda, Ivanans, Bartulis and the up-and-coming players like Girgensons and Blugers and see where Latvia ranks. Outside of their NHLers, Lauridsen and Frederik Andersen, Denmark is a fairly weak team.
Please, stop mentioning Ivanans. If Ivanans is a indicator of our depth, then everyone capable of standing on skates qualifies as a depth for our NT.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
DenGC

Quote:
What!!!

Nichlas Hardt 41points in 53games (top score on the team) this season for Jokerit (runners-up) in the finish league.
Mads Christensen 18p in 33games for Eisbären Berlin (german champ) this season.
Morten Madsen Assistant captain for Modo in the swedish league.
Jesper B. Jensen 20yoa dman had 19p in 50games in his second season for Rögle in allsvenskan.
and finally Julian Jakobsen who just signed with Hamburg Freezers just to mention a few.

I agree that the depth of Latvia is somewhat better. However Denmark has improved a lot, in both high-end talent and depth, in recent years.
Where denmark has fallen short in the past is on defense and goaltending. But with players like Philip Larsen, Oliver and Marcus Lauridsen and Jesper Jensen that too looks brighter than ever. Not to mention the emergence of Frederik Andersen in goal.

Add to that young prospects like Nicklas Jensen and Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Alpine

Have to admit that I'll be following Latvia's games.
One of my favourite all time Wildcat Karsums. Bartulis too and Nolan as head coach.
Ahh some great memories as a Moncton Wildcat fan.

Closed Thread