HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Hodgson Kassian Trade

Old
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Mitts McCann

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Okey dokey. Easy for you to say.

I could just as easily say that Kassian is a floater who plays with little emotion and doesnt use his gift of a frame and Vancouver fans will see it next year and he will have nowhere to hide....but I won't.

Let the trade play out. I am happy to have Hodgson. I would still like to have Kass. I hope both pan out.

I dont agree with how Gillis played this in front of the media. Smacks of desperation trying to deflect the criticism of a first round exit when such high expectations were in place.
Well when you have so many delusional fans believing Hodgson would have been the teams playoff savior, can you really blame the guy for trying to quiet the cattle? Also, Ya obviously Kassian has his deficiencies I'm just trying to show people this trade isn't as lopsided as they believe. The next few years will be telling.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Okey dokey. Easy for you to say.

I could just as easily say that Kassian is a floater who plays with little emotion and doesnt use his gift of a frame and Vancouver fans will see it next year and he will have nowhere to hide....but I won't.

Let the trade play out. I am happy to have Hodgson. I would still like to have Kass. I hope both pan out.

I dont agree with how Gillis played this in front of the media. Smacks of desperation trying to deflect the criticism of a first round exit when such high expectations were in place.
I hope Hodgson does well, I hope he has a long career in the NHL.

As far as Gillis going a bit more in depth into the Hodgson deal I suspect you may not understand the immense media and fan pressure in a market like Vancouver. I believe Gillis opened up to clear the air, he also was getting tires of all the stories about "Hodgson would have won the series for us" B.S. that has been nonstop in the local media. Hodgson reminds me of one of those nice guys who dies early and suddenly he is a saint to those around him.

Time will tell how this trade works out, when you have a 22 year old traded for a 21 year old it is plain silly to try and judge the trade after only a couple of months. This trade will take 3 years to fully work out. It may end up being even, or swing one way or the other.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
Hard to say. I like both players. This was not a "THIS YEAR" trade. Both can still help there respected teams ALOT in the future.

Although when the trade first happened; it looked like a good move for the canucks heading into the playoffs as Kassian had the tools to be a playoff warrior (and still does/will someday)

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:38 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Well when you have so many delusional fans believing Hodgson would have been the teams playoff savior, can you really blame the guy for trying to quiet the cattle? Also, Ya obviously Kassian has his deficiencies I'm just trying to show people this trade isn't as lopsided as they believe. The next few years will be telling.
Frankly, once the rumors/stories started toleak about his camp demanding more icetime/trade, I really didn't think that the bandwagon was still screaming that it was bad trade (except maybe the timing).

No one really knows what role Hodgson would have played against LA. Maybe he would have been a defensive mess or maybe he would have been a clutch contibutor.

The only thing that is clear is that you badly needed the missing ginger twin.

The trade isn't lopsided. Both teams tried to acquire a perceived need. Buffalo felt it could give up size to get a young promising center as it was a major need and Marcus Foligno showed enough to sacrifice Kassian. Vancouver traded for Kassian as a potentially special player of size for both the present and future. They knowingly gave up a kid with talent and maybe some baggage.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
I hope Hodgson does well, I hope he has a long career in the NHL.

As far as Gillis going a bit more in depth into the Hodgson deal I suspect you may not understand the immense media and fan pressure in a market like Vancouver. I believe Gillis opened up to clear the air, he also was getting tires of all the stories about "Hodgson would have won the series for us" B.S. that has been nonstop in the local media. Hodgson reminds me of one of those nice guys who dies early and suddenly he is a saint to those around him.

Time will tell how this trade works out, when you have a 22 year old traded for a 21 year old it is plain silly to try and judge the trade after only a couple of months. This trade will take 3 years to fully work out. It may end up being even, or swing one way or the other.
Then your media sucks as much as ours and creates issues and drama where none really exists.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:46 AM
MastuhNinks

If the Canucks were in a series like Pens/Flyers Kassian would've paid huge dividends. I don't think the Canucks made this trade with intentions of Kassian matching up against the LA Kings, they were thinking of the Bostons of the World.

Obviously Hodgson has a lot of offensive upside but Kassian can be an absolute monster when he's on his game, and if the Canucks can get that out of him I think the trade will end up being good for them (and Buffalo, good trade for both teams).

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
If the Canucks were in a series like Pens/Flyers Kassian would've paid huge dividends. I don't think the Canucks made this trade with intentions of Kassian matching up against the LA Kings, they were thinking of the Bostons of the World.

Obviously Hodgson has a lot of offensive upside but Kassian can be an absolute monster when he's on his game, and if the Canucks can get that out of him I think the trade will end up being good for them (and Buffalo, good trade for both teams).
If the Canucks were in a series like the Pens/Flyers, Hodgson would have been better than Kassian since he could provide more offense. Close, gritty games, defensive battles are the type of games that Kassian would excel at with his physical play and forechecking ability. He just isn't ready for that as of right now.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:43 AM
silvercanuck

People just don't seem to get it.

Hodgson couldn't take a defensive zone faceoff or start all year. The Canucks gave him offensive starts to shelter him and build up his trade value. By the trade deadline he had hit a wall and was ineffective offensively.

The playoffs would have been an even worse situation for him here. He would not have gotten minutes against the Kings. There is no way that Vigneault would have played him considering his size and defensive play.

That's the issue here for the Canucks. They had a player that was not fitting into their system.

Hodgson may fit in well with Buffalo but he was not a option in Vancouver. They got a prospect back in Kassian that may develop but will at least be able to play minutes without being sheltered.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Tiranis

Honestly, he didn't want to be here and that's all I really need to know. Going to be a good, maybe great, player one day but he wasn't one this year and he was causing issues for both the management and the players.

The Canucks had a list of 6 players they wanted and they got 1 of them, the others weren't offered.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:08 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Then your media sucks as much as ours and creates issues and drama where none really exists.
You get how many, 3 reporters to a game?

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
You get how many, 3 reporters to a game?
my team has more reporters than yours

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
YogiCanucks

I'd rather have Kassian for a series against LA, I'd rather have Hodgson for a series against the Sharks.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
People just don't seem to get it.

Hodgson couldn't take a defensive zone faceoff or start all year. The Canucks gave him offensive starts to shelter him and build up his trade value. By the trade deadline he had hit a wall and was ineffective offensively.

The playoffs would have been an even worse situation for him here. He would not have gotten minutes against the Kings. There is no way that Vigneault would have played him considering his size and defensive play.

That's the issue here for the Canucks. They had a player that was not fitting into their system.

Hodgson may fit in well with Buffalo but he was not a option in Vancouver. They got a prospect back in Kassian that may develop but will at least be able to play minutes without being sheltered.
I understand this, and it's the simple black and white of the situation. I also understand dealing with Hodgson was difficult at times, and personally I'm neither for or against the trade for Kassian.

What I am pissed off about is how AV handled CoHo, and many other players for that matter. Why was Hodgson not tried out as a #2C with Kesler on his wing? AV tried putting Hodgson on the wing and it didn't work well, but he never even considered that as an option.

My issue with the situation is an issue with AV: he doesn't seem to know how to handle younger players. Not all young players develop in a straight line, just because it worked throwing Kesler out on the 4th line for years doesn't mean that's the best treatment for Hodgson. I would have liked to see AV attempt to accomodate Hodgson's request for ice time, I would have liked to see him attempt to put him in a larger role.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
pigeonsonpopcorn

As a Bruins fan Cody reminds me of a young Kessel- and wish we pursued him

pigeonsonpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Ehh, I can't see hodgson being the difference between them beating LA and not.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
pigeonsonpopcorn

Cody has sniper ability. We had a Ryder that was similar - can do damage in playoffs

pigeonsonpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
sal00

So where does this put Hodgson if Buffalo succeed with trading Roy and land the big top center that they always covet? Is he splitting ice-time with Ennis again or making one of them play wing?

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal00 View Post
So where does this put Hodgson if Buffalo succeed with trading Roy and land the big top center that they always covet? Is he splitting ice-time with Ennis again or making one of them play wing?
I think Regier wants three scoring lines, possibly a 1a, b and c setup. Ruff said he wanted on grinder type with two scorers. Some of the best lines in the NHL are set up this way. Even if they acquire a stud, both Ennis and Cody will start the season at center.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I think Regier wants three scoring lines, possibly a 1a, b and c setup. Ruff said he wanted on grinder type with two scorers. Some of the best lines in the NHL are set up this way. Even if they acquire a stud, both Ennis and Cody will start the season at center.
Well Hodgson can't play wing to save his life so he's where he should be.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Well Hodgson can't play wing to save his life so he's where he should be.
Not very ofter we hear that a player cant play wing to save his life on buffalo

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Neither side won or lost this year. If there was no trade for Kassian the Canucks still pick up Pahlsson and Hodgson would have found his ice cut to 4m per game too. I thought it was an offseason trade myself but it was unlikely to affect the outcome of the 1st round. Hodgson wanted a team that would give him a chance to be a 2C without consequences and grow into the role, give him time to work on his skating and D and he'll be fine. Kassian will probably take another 2-3 before he starts becoming a true PF or a bust. Long term deals.

Ah the media: they harass Gillis for years about a rift, they harass Gillis for months after the trade, finally get an answer and then complain that Gillis gave an answer .

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Johnny Canuck

At the end of the day, Vancouver got someone that was unable to contribute to this year's playoff drive. That is my only criticism of the Hodgson trade. With Kassian Vancouver has filled a position of need. Hodgson is tough to lose, but it appears he wanted out of here so that makes it easier to sallow.

Can we stop discussing Hodgson now?

Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post

What I am pissed off about is how AV handled CoHo, and many other players for that matter. Why was Hodgson not tried out as a #2C with Kesler on his wing? AV tried putting Hodgson on the wing and it didn't work well, but he never even considered that as an option.
Ha ha! Seems obvious right? When that was brought up here before, the riposte was, why would you move Kesler, a Selke winning pivot, to accommodate a rook? I think Kesler is a natural winger myself but too late now. Until training camp, let's see Jordan Schroeder there!

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:47 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Canucks lost the trade, people of Vancouver need not to be offended, your GM and HC got it wrong.

4 GP 5 hits.

The Canucks need to stop being pansies and hit people.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:51 AM
umad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Canucks lost the trade, people of Vancouver need not to be offended, your GM and HC got it wrong.

4 GP 5 hits.

The Canucks need to stop being pansies and hit people.
Yay, we're judging based on 21 and 22 year old prospects. Give them both at least a few seasons in the NHL before saying who has won or lost the trade.

umad is offline   Reply With Quote