HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Houde and Marc Denis appreciation thread

Old
04-24-2012, 01:07 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Great talents, definitely. Houde's style and description are legendary, and he will be impossible to replace when he eventually does decide to pack away the mic (could be eons for a guy like this). As for Denis, his analysis is usually not only spot-on, as someone mentioned, but also sometimes creative and from a unique perspective, all while remaining comprehensible to the average viewer. They make a great team, and while Houde has consistently been exemplary at describing the play, Denis is at a completely different level of professionalism and talent than Pedneault, and obviously Brunet.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Hooligan514

What I like about Houde is that he isn't the biggest homer. Most of the times he does call it like it is and does mention when the habs get away with stuff.

Denis is infinitely better then Brunet.

With that said, I keep Houde for F1 and bring in Dube and Mcguire. They are the best at what they do.

Hooligan514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

These two are good until the game becomes physical and Houde will cry and cry that it prevents the skilled players to play their games, etc...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Aurel Joliat

Marc Denis is good
Pierre Houde makes me sick

I hate to watch games at RDS

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:20 AM

I think Marc Denis is perfect.

As for Pierre Houde, he's clearly losing it. I mean, I have the greatest respect for him, but his time is starting to run out.

There are countless exemples of him being lost, searching for his words while action is developping, making mistake in describing what happens right in front of everyone's eyes, etc

Last night when Chris Neil was decked by Del Zotto, I'm fairly sure Pierre Houde didn't even see it. Neil was on the ice, the ref blows the whistle and Pierre's like ''and offside....'' there's a huge silence, the replay goes on, Marc Denis says ''big hit....'' there's another silence, and then Pierre says ''well we're going to take a break'' I mean... wow... nice job

So many times there clearly is a penalty or an offside, and Pierre never knows what the hell is going on, and even sometime when the camera shows the player going to the box, Pierre is still saying ''Kessel went offside there..''

Casavant is doing amazing, and so is Felix Seguin. Time to move on from Houde in my opinion. He's become annoying

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I think Marc Denis is perfect.

As for Pierre Houde, he's clearly losing it. I mean, I have the greatest respect for him, but his time is starting to run out.

There are countless exemples of him being lost, searching for his words while action is developping, making mistake in describing what happens right in front of everyone's eyes, etc

Last night when Chris Neil was decked by Del Zotto, I'm fairly sure Pierre Houde didn't even see it. Neil was on the ice, the ref blows the whistle and Pierre's like ''and offside....'' there's a huge silence, the replay goes on, Marc Denis says ''big hit....'' there's another silence, and then Pierre says ''well we're going to take a break'' I mean... wow... nice job

So many times there clearly is a penalty or an offside, and Pierre never knows what the hell is going on, and even sometime when the camera shows the player going to the box, Pierre is still saying ''Kessel went offside there..''

Casavant is doing amazing, and so is Felix Seguin. Time to move on from Houde in my opinion. He's become annoying
I see most announcers doing that. I mean, just look at Jim Hughson thinking that Tanev had blocked a shot and going on for about 2 mins on how great of a save that was when in fact, the puck was in the net.

It's very easy for us to criticize his job sitting in front of the tv, but you have to keep in mind that his vision is different than ours. He can see everything on the ice, and when the play is going on, it's possible that he's focusing on other things such as a player retreating to the dressing room and such. Not that he should, but if he catches something in the corner of his eye and he tries to understand what's going on, he can miss another play. There are so many things going on during a hockey game, an announcer will miss some plays.

Overall, to me, he makes the game exciting, and IMO, that's his job. I don't find the same excitment watching any other RDS guys calling the game. McGuire and Dubé are great too, not that it's relevant to the discussion at hand.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
TheBuriedHab

We are so spoiled to have Pierre Houde 82 games a season.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
EmelinHipCheck

The ''ET LE BUT'' scream is the only reason i watch RDS.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I see most announcers doing that. I mean, just look at Jim Hughson thinking that Tanev had blocked a shot and going on for about 2 mins on how great of a save that was when in fact, the puck was in the net.

It's very easy for us to criticize his job sitting in front of the tv, but you have to keep in mind that his vision is different than ours. He can see everything on the ice, and when the play is going on, it's possible that he's focusing on other things such as a player retreating to the dressing room and such. Not that he should, but if he catches something in the corner of his eye and he tries to understand what's going on, he can miss another play. There are so many things going on during a hockey game, an announcer will miss some plays.

Overall, to me, he makes the game exciting, and IMO, that's his job. I don't find the same excitment watching any other RDS guys calling the game. McGuire and Dubé are great too, not that it's relevant to the discussion at hand.
I'm not saying I could do better, just that I'm starting to be annoyed by him and that Seguin would be a worthy replacement.

Of course I'd miss ET LE BUT !!!!!!!

By the way McGuire and Dubé are not demi-gods like some of you seem to imply... the fact they're on the radio is what makes them seem so good

Old
04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
By the way McGuire and Dubé are not demi-gods like some of you seem to imply... the fact they're on the radio is what makes them seem so good
Exactly. Dube is like a used cars salesman. He's really good at making you believe he knows his stuff, but if you take time to analyse what he says, you realize he's doesn't know much.

McGuire is a classy guy though. Too much emphasis in his description but that's needed on the radio.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

I can't stand Houde. Talking about useless **** while there's action going on the ice. I get that he used to doing it during F1 races, because let'S face it, there's no action in those races most of the time, but during hockey, it's non-stop, stop talking about fishing and all that ****.

But he has a great voice. When he yells "lance ET COOOOMPTEEE". Feels good man.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Joe Cole

I like them both, even if Pierre often mis-calls the play.

I cannot believe that after all these years he does not understand that a player who is on the offensive side of the red line tips the shot/pass ON PURPOSE into the zone in order to complete a line change. It is not a missed pass.

Seriously, why can't he understand that?

I am glad Brunet is gone, he fed the negativity in Houde. Houde gets down on players at times where I don't think it is warranted, but over all, I really like Houde.

And...his goal call is awesome. "Et le but!"

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I can't stand Houde. Talking about useless **** while there's action going on the ice. I get that he used to doing it during F1 races, because let'S face it, there's no action in those races most of the time, but during hockey, it's non-stop, stop talking about fishing and all that ****.

Not sure if serious

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Pierre is a classy guy, deserves all the greatness that comes to him hes an asset not just to RDS, but to Montreal and Quebec in general.
I wouldn't have phrased it quite like that, but I think I agree with this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
These two are good until the game becomes physical and Houde will cry and cry that it prevents the skilled players to play their games, etc...
Huh? I don't remember hearing something like this a single time all year.

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not sure if serious
"Et le but!" Or whatever he screams

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Adriatic

Love Denis, but Houde just makes me sick. The game has definitely passed him or he is no longer interested. On many occasions he demonstrates clearly that he does not really follow what goes around the league or with other teams. Have all the respect for him and what he did in the past but he's the main reason I try to watch the Habs on a different channel if possible. I just can't stand people that are misinformed, especially if you are commenting on the game. Take Martin McGuire for example, regardless of his style or what you think of him...he is ten times more informed and "plugged" in the game, love that about him.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Love Denis, but Houde just makes me sick. The game has definitely passed him or he is no longer interested. On many occasions he demonstrates clearly that he does not really follow what goes around the league or with other teams. Have all the respect for him and what he did in the past but he's the main reason I try to watch the Habs on a different channel if possible. I just can't stand people that are misinformed, especially if you are commenting on the game. Take Martin McGuire for example, regardless of his style or what you think of him...he is ten times more informed and "plugged" in the game, love that about him.
Yeah, exactly.

It just happens too many times nowadays...

Player A takes down Player B

Ref signals a penalty, everyone knows Player A is going to the box

Houde says ''offside Montreal... by the way blablablablablablabla''

Player A is going to the box

Houde says ''so there was an offside, and the linesman is taking the puck all the way to the other side of the ice... one team is missing a player.... there is a player in the box..... Marc.... what is going on? Two-line pass?''

Marc Denis says ''Player A was called for roughing Pierre''

Houde says ''oh yeah well I was looking at the puck, didn't really see what was going on''

Old
04-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post

This happened a lot more when Pedneault was the analyst. He's a lot more focused on the games now with Denis. Actually, I don't even recall hearing Houde talking about non-hockey stuff during a game this season.

It was annoying watching the games on RDS in the previous seasons with Brunet. He was biased and his french was terrible.

Also, Houde never yells "Lance et compteeeeeeee", McGuire does that. Houde is "le tir et le butttttttttttttt".

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Fozz

Bof for both Houde and Denis.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
thegreaterikku

As much as I like the change from Brunet to Marc Denis (great guy), I can't stand Houde. He's the reason why I prefer the radio broadcast when watching it on TV. He should stick to F1 where he's good, but hockey.... I actually prefer Rinfret from TVA Sport and that says a lot since he's not very good also.

But Marc Denis, yes. He's actually one of the best french former player turned analyst. He never says that player X should have done that because he cause a goal, always straight color commentary and I love it.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
GordonGraham

Houle would be great except for his god damn yelling of Et cest le but

Denis is just awful hes like a robot out there

Theres a reason why i watch the game in english

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Houle would be great except for his god damn yelling of Et cest le but

Denis is just awful hes like a robot out there

Theres a reason why i watch the game in english
That's why many of us love him! Houde, BTW, not Houle.

I grew up watching hockey in french with my father, so even if I speak strictly english with my girlfriend (she's from the shore), we always watch the games on RDS.

I still remember that time there was absolutely 0 commentary because of a strike but you could hear the puck hitting sticks and the sound of skates on the ice. Would love for there to be an option to turn off commentary entirely so it could be like that all the time.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
thegreaterikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's why many of us love him! Houde, BTW, not Houle.

I grew up watching hockey in french with my father, so even if I speak strictly english with my girlfriend (she's from the shore), we always watch the games on RDS.

I still remember that time there was absolutely 0 commentary because of a strike but you could hear the puck hitting sticks and the sound of skates on the ice. Would love for there to be an option to turn off commentary entirely so it could be like that all the time.
Oh god, these were good times. RDS feed is so mediocre in that aspect, you hear nothing.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
....e games on RDS in the previous seasons with Brunet. He was biased and his french was terrible.

Just a side point...

You know, as an Anglo married into a french family, I never could understand why francophones were so hung up on the quality of language in broadcasts. Lecavalier this, Tremblay that... complaining about Brunet and Demers....

Then I got to thinking....as an anglo, you never hear play by play or color by someone with poor diction on an English broadcast. It is not even a possibility, unless you endure NASCAR on TV. So, I have not been bothered for years by people mispronouncing words and using poor diction.

I could see being really pissed if I had to listen to someone with speaking Ebonics or with a think southern drawl and "way out there" expressions.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote