HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash vs. Parise; B. Ryan discussion

View Poll Results: Nash or Parise...Who should we go after?
Nash 23 13.77%
Parise 94 56.29%
Either one, doesnt matter 19 11.38%
Don't want either one 31 18.56%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Parise. His contract won't cost us 7.8 million against the cap (though it will cost us close to that), and we don't have to give anyone up.

Also, if we acquire Parise our top 6 would potentially be: Richards, Gaborik, Hagelin, Stepan, Parise, Callahan, and allow us to have a 3rd line of Dubi/Arty/Kreider, and a 4th line of Rupp/Prust/Boyle. I like that a lot.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
To me that term is inaccurate. The Rangers don't need just a player to shoot on the PP. They need someone on the back-end who can shoot and make plays with their shot. Sometimes it means shooting wide or making a shot-pass but they need someone who is decisive on the back-end.
Stralman can be that guy. He's really gotten much better over the season and now has been running the powerplay fairly well. I love it when he's out there on the PP because it always seems like we get chances.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
To me that term is inaccurate. The Rangers don't need just a player to shoot on the PP. They need someone on the back-end who can shoot and make plays with their shot. Sometimes it means shooting wide or making a shot-pass but they need someone who is decisive on the back-end.
Which is exactly what a triggerman is.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stralman can be that guy. He's really gotten much better over the season and now has been running the powerplay fairly well. I love it when he's out there on the PP because it always seems like we get chances.
Stralman is a good stable backend presence on the PP. He is calmer with the puck than DZ and will shoot when he has a lane(which compliments Richards more than Del Z). But his shot doesn't scare anybody. We need a dude that is going to force enemy pkers to start opening up the middle.

That will give our PPQB(Del Z, Richards)more space in the middle of the ice to pass.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

If you don't get Parise, go for Nash that includes Dubinsky as the center piece. Though I think Howson's demands were so outlandish, I doubt Sather ever approaches him again.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The next question is what would Columbus want to pull off this trade? GM Scott Howson's demands were called very high before the trade deadline, and you can imagine they will be even higher if this trade will determine if he keeps his job or not. So, are the Stars willing to give up a solid player, a top prospect or two and a high draft pick? It seems like a lot for Nash, particularly when you wonder what kind of trades will be available when the new CBA is decided.

I would definitely be interested in Nash, but you can't give up too much. You are already risking that he will be the one true superstar you can acquire, and you are already risking a huge financial commitment to him, so it would be tough to also give up a lot of young players. Remember, if you get Rick Nash, you are stuck with him for a while. You want a sure thing in that player.

I believe the Stars believe that the best sure thing out there is Zach Parise, but we'll have to wait to see if he hits free agency.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...be-intere.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers should wait until July 2013 when Jordan Staal will be a group III. He will still be 24 in July 2013. He turns 25 that September. So young. He has the 7 years pro required to be a group III. He needs to play 40 games next season for an accrued season.

Quote:
Staal has stated on numerous occasions that he prefers to stay with the Penguins. However, Staal doesn’t want to be considered a “third-line center” forever.

When asked how Crosby, Malkin and Staal can remain happy for their entire careers in Pittsburgh, Staal provided an interesting answer.

“That’s a very good question,” Staal said. “That’s probably a better question for the coach. But I’m very happy being in Pittsburgh, playing with these guys. I love playing here. We’ll see what the future holds.”
Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/home/1085372-74/...#ixzz1t5EYw488

Centers. Defense. Goaltending.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Stralman is a good stable backend presence on the PP. He is calmer with the puck than DZ and will shoot when he has a lane(which compliments Richards more than Del Z). But his shot doesn't scare anybody. We need a dude that is going to force enemy pkers to start opening up the middle.

That will give our PPQB(Del Z, Richards)more space in the middle of the ice to pass.
His shot sure as **** scares Ottawa (not it's strength, but it's accuracy). They even mentioned on NBC that Ottawa's coach told them to specifically watch Stralman on the PP and make sure to deal with him. He scares Ottawa.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

In terms of fit it has to be Ryan. Productive, big body, good contract. Dunno why the Ducks would move him and I certainly do not expect them to. Would likely be a package around Staal which I have a tough time really getting on board with right now.

Next IMO would be Nash - in the right situation. I'm talking he says Howson trade me to the NYR or I'm holding out. Stepan, Kreider, and McD are obvious no-no's, maaaaybe could deal MDZ if Erixon is deemed ready. Contract is bad but Nash in my opinion is an elite talent, the kind that can put this offense over the hump. It cannot be stated enough how iffy the talent he was working with in Columbus was and is. Financially the Rangers are only impacted until Gabby comes off the books in two years.

Parise would be a mistake, again just my opinion. I like him and certainly would draft him / pay him 5 mil. He is a first liner but he is a complimentary player. He would not put our offense over the hump, and his cap hit is gonna be darn near 7 at least.

Next up, RB that Staal speculation is tempting. He is a guy who could be way more productive in another environment.

Lastly, I agree Clowe is a great (semi) realistic target. He would add snarl and decent finishing ability. By no means will he turn our offense around but he could add great depth. Depends on what SJ wants, if he's even available.

04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Dactyl
💙NASH💙

with this team signing big free agents (parise) or trading promising youth for skill (nash) has not worked at all. whenever your suggestion fails you blame sather for doing it years later. right now he is building this team the right way and we should not give up promising assets or put ourselves in cap hell. working to obtain a second line player who can bring offense is what we should do rather than trading half the team for nash. if we could trade dubi for either a draft pick/upgrade or for a decent and cheap 3rd liner it would be a good move. i havent been much of a dubi fan since his holdout hes clearly only in it for himself and the money and he hasnt provided anything for a while. if we could get rid of him and his contract along with bringing in the decent 3rd liner and go out and sign a second line scorer we would be in a good position

hags-richie-gabs
kreider-step-cally/UFA
player from dubi trade/prospect/AA-boyle-cally/UFA/prospect
rupp-player from dubi trade/prospect/AA-prust

healthy staal/McD-girardi
current staal/McD-sauer?/DZ
DZ-erixon/stralman
erixon/stralman

hank
mason? i dont really care just someone other than biron

look i love callahan as do we all but if we sign a legit second line scorer (not that cally isnt, 29 goals is great if he can keep it up) who can make the best out of ever stepan pass then i think we bump cally to the grinding line with boyle and hopefully someone from a dubi trade or AA

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
JayQueensNY88*

it makes me sick looking at NYR having players like Lundqvist,Callahan,Stepan,Dubinsky(possibly),Hagel in,Anisimov,Kredier,Prust,Girardi,McDonagh,Staal,S auer(possibly),DelZotto,Erixon(possibly).......Now add a Parise or Nash or Bobby Ryan..I prefer Ryan.....

Thats not including some other prospects and current players,but thats just insane..this team is being built so right,great too see.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
it makes me sick looking at NYR having players like Lundqvist,Callahan,Stepan,Dubinsky(possibly),Hagel in,Anisimov,Kredier,Prust,Girardi,McDonagh,Staal,S auer(possibly),DelZotto,Erixon(possibly).......Now add a Parise or Nash or Bobby Ryan..I prefer Ryan.....

Thats not including some other prospects and current players,but thats just insane..this team is being built so right,great too see.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nash has to be more reasonable. Nash made a big stink about getting a contract extension when he was entering the last season of his previous contract and still had another year before becoming a group III. He was 2 years away from group III. Then he commits 7 years of group III to Columbus. Three years after signing the contract,he wants out after he realizes Columbus management is clueless. Ken Hitchcock won everywhere except Columbus. They made the playoffs 1 year in 2009. He wants to go to a good team. If he wanted to pick his spot,he shouldn't have re-signed with Columbus. He didn't want to take the risk of getting hurt so he took the money.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGFaithful View Post
Agreed. We have a ton of great prospects in our system. Let's stick with that.

Not anymore. Most of them are here.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Nash has to be more reasonable. Nash made a big stink about getting a contract extension when he was entering the last season of his previous contract and still had another year before becoming a group III. He was 2 years away from group III. Then he commits 7 years of group III to Columbus. Three years after signing the contract,he wants out after he realizes Columbus management is clueless. Ken Hitchcock won everywhere except Columbus. They made the playoffs 1 year in 2009. He wants to go to a good team. If he wanted to pick his spot,he shouldn't have re-signed with Columbus. He didn't want to take the risk of getting hurt so he took the money.
Its a moot point now.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Dactyl
💙NASH💙

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
erixon, thomas, miller, mcllrath, fasth, st croix, yogan, lindberg, bourque

obviously not as impressive without hagelin and kreider but i wouldnt say that im ready to trade these guys, they are good prospects

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stralman has really grown on me. I like the way he plays. And love it when he throws a good old fashioned hip check.

To think, we got him for nothing. And the Devils let him walk after camp.

He's still young, too.

I wouldn't let him stop us from signing Schultz, but Stralman has 110% earned a contract, IMO.

He's also elevated his play in the playoffs. Another good sign.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Still have quite a few solid prospects.

J.T. Miller
Dylan McIlrath
Tim Erixon
Jesper Fasth
Andrew Yogan
Steven Fogarty
Michael St. Croix
Christian Thomas
Oscar Lindberg

All with legitimate shots at being NHL players.

Miller, Erixon, McIlrath, Fasth, and Yogan are locks to be NHL players IMO. We will see with the others.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Despite the fact that they haven't found ultimate success in the playoffs, the Sharks are a well run team. Doug Wilson is a shrewd and intelligent GM. I expect him to try and change the makeup of the team, but I don't know why he would trade Clowe. My guess is neither Clowe or Ryan would be available until later in the 2012-12 season, but my bet is that Ryan is made available first.

Clowe's got one year left on his deal, as do a lot of other Sharks. They might do a makeover at next year's deadline or following next season, but I don't think it's happening in this off-season.

I could get behind Staal. It's a long wait, though. I don't think the Pens should or will trade him. Would he convert to wing, however? I think it would work on the ice just fine, but he might want to remain a center.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Despite the fact that they haven't found ultimate success in the playoffs, the Sharks are a well run team. Doug Wilson is a shrewd and intelligent GM. I expect him to try and change the makeup of the team, but I don't know why he would trade Clowe. My guess is neither Clowe or Ryan would be available until later in the 2012-12 season, but my bet is that Ryan is made available first.

Clowe's got one year left on his deal, as do a lot of other Sharks. They might do a makeover at next year's deadline or following next season, but I don't think it's happening in this off-season.

I could get behind Staal. It's a long wait, though. I don't think the Pens should or will trade him. Would he convert to wing, however? I think it would work on the ice just fine, but he might want to remain a center.
Staal? Jordan Staal?

It's just we've been discussing how we need a dynamic offensive winger to solidify our top six and I'm just not sure that's what Jordan Staal is...

Staal did make tremendous improvement in offensive production this year and he is great defensively. However, I feel he'd be even harder to pry from Pittsburgh than B. Ryan would be from Anaheim.

I think the cost to get Jordan Staal wouldn't be worth it either. It would cost a top 4 defenseman, good pick and top prospect at least. Slap on that it's between division rivals and eh.

He is an intgriguing option though, can't deny that.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Staal? Jordan Staal?

It's just we've been discussing how we need a dynamic offensive winger to solidify our top six and I'm just not sure that's what Jordan Staal is...

Staal did make tremendous improvement in offensive production this year and he is great defensively. However, I feel he'd be even harder to pry from Pittsburgh than B. Ryan would be from Anaheim.

I think the cost to get Jordan Staal wouldn't be worth it either. It would cost a top 4 defenseman, good pick and top prospect at least. Slap on that it's between division rivals and eh.

He is an intgriguing option though, can't deny that.
I think Staal could score 30 goals a season on the wing playing with a great playmaking center. Plus, he's tremendous defensively, strong, and big. He could work with Richards and Gaborik.

I don't see the Pens trading him within the division. I don't think they should trade him till right before his deal is up, and that's only if he tells them he's going to explore the market. He'd only be available to the Rangers as a UFA, I expect. Which, again, is a lengthy wait.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I think Staal could score 30 goals a season on the wing playing with a great playmaking center. Plus, he's tremendous defensively, strong, and big. He could work with Richards and Gaborik.

I don't see the Pens trading him within the division. I don't think they should trade him till right before his deal is up, and that's only if he tells them he's going to explore the market. He'd only be available to the Rangers as a UFA, I expect. Which, again, is a lengthy wait.
Yep, Jordan Staal will be great anywhere he goes.

Course we might already have him with a guy like JT Miller.

Maybe a smaller, Jordan Staal-lite. Somewhere between Staal and Dubinsky is where Miller ends up, IMO. Hopefully, a lot more confident and consistent than Dubi.

What the hell?! I didn't write that last sentence.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 04-26-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 12:56 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Nash bidding wars will be out of control because os all the powerhouse teams who just got popped.

Throw Boston, the Pens, the Sharks, Vancouver and probably the Wings and Hawks into the mix now.

Howson will make out well.

IMO, avoid all these guys. They should trade some of their current assets and players for draft picks.

Stockpiling draft picks will allow them to make rental trades for Cup runs, rather than gut the team in the process.

IMO, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Macilrath are the best chips to use. I would even trade our 25-30 pick for a couple of extra 2nd rounders.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:02 AM
mike14

I'd throw Sharp's name into the mix as well. IMO the Hawks are going to have to shake things up a bit and he might be one of the guys they ship out.

Would provide excellent secondary scoring either on the wing or a center. Price would be steep though............

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'd throw Sharp's name into the mix as well. IMO the Hawks are going to have to shake things up a bit and he might be one of the guys they ship out.

Would provide excellent secondary scoring either on the wing or a center. Price would be steep though............
Yeah Sharp would be a great trade, but do we have anything Chicago would want? Do they need defensive depth?