HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next years Phantoms

Old
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Next years Phantoms

with so many rookies making an impact i figure now might be the time to take a peak at who did well this year and will stay, whos going and what new faces are coming in.

Quote:
POTENTIAL 2012-13 PHANTOMS

Under Contract

Forwards: Jason Akeson, Tyler Brown, Matt Mangene, Tye McGinn, Marcel Noebels, Shane Harper, Luke Pither, Matt Ford. Ian Slater*, Eric Wellwood.

Defensemen: Oskars Bartulis, Blake Kessel, Erik Gustafsson, Matthew Konan, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, Matt Walker.

Goalies: Cal Heeter, Niko Hovinen.

Restricted free agents

Forwards: Ben Holmstrom, Andrew Rowe, Tom Sestito, Mike Testwuide, Harry Zolnierczyk.

Defensemen: Marc-Andre Bourdon.

Goalies: none.

Unrestricted free agents

Forwards: Andy Bohmbach*, Rob Bordson*, Denis Hamel*, Garrett Klotz*, Garrett Roe*.

Defensemen: Cullen Eddy*, Dan Jancevski.

Goalies: Jason Bacashihua, Michael Leighton.

Read more: http://poststar.com/sports/a-look-at...#ixzz1t65Gt2C7

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Gotta believe either Gus or MAB will be up with the big club, no?

04-25-2012, 07:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Gotta believe either Gus or MAB will be up with the big club, no?
I would imagine one of those makes it, along with Wellwood and maybe Sestito (assuming Shelley is finally waived/retires or something).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I see them bringing in a veteran goaltender. Assuming Leighton isn't coming back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Flyerfan4life

has there been any news in regards to Leighton recently since getting recalled to the Flyers ??

i have a hard time getting any Phantoms roster news here on the west coast

mostly just wondering what his future holds

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

IMHO Hovinen has enough experience to be the starter.

I'm guessing Gus,MAB and Wellwood all stay with Flyers

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i have a hard time getting any Phantoms roster news here on the west coast
Does the internet work differently there or what?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Does the internet work differently there or what?
im more interested in local news that doesnt easily make its way to the net.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
EDIT: Nevermind, forgot Carle was UFA. Haha. That changes everything...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
demarco16

i believe we let mab go, keep gus. timo will be gone soon and having a homegrown mobile puckmoving defensemen is vital. also acknowledging that we have blake kessel up and coming (which i can't wait to see on a larger scale) i have to say if not next season then right after.

demarco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
demarco16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would imagine one of those makes it, along with Wellwood and maybe Sestito (assuming Shelley is finally waived/retires or something).
Would love Shelley to retire/LTIR or something BUT stick around with Lappy, Hatch and Betts to teach and bring his presence on the team. Say what you want about his on ice skills, the guy is vital. A great off ice teammate and person, the combination of our "veterans" sticking around has helped this team become what it is.

demarco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:45 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
IMHO Hovinen has enough experience to be the starter.

I'm guessing Gus,MAB and Wellwood all stay with Flyers
How so? Maybe over in Europe, but not in NA. It will probably take him at least half the season to adjust to the NA game

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
How so? Maybe over in Europe, but not in NA. It will probably take him at least half the season to adjust to the NA game
If you watched him in the SM-Liiga this year... or last year for that matter, the guy was absurdly good, in arguably the 3rd or 4th best league in the world.

Played 100 regular season games in two years, posting a .921 average over that time, just got his team to the final... basically carrying them on his back, while he had a broken hip. The finnish guys I know also feel he has been the best keeper in the SM-liiga (well, up there with Helenius and Koivisto the midget.)

He has also had Pasi Nurminen coaching him, and has became a damn good keeper under his instruction

Not saying he will be immense straight away, but the kid looked incredibly good, and has a fantastic work ethic, plus absurd size, and is fast for his size, the thing about him that I think is that while he may end up just being an AHL career keeper, his potential is very, very high.

From watching the Finnish league for a while, he seems the real deal, and has NHL potential due to his style and size (though he needs to improve his puck handling and rebounds, though both have been better this year.)

Hoping he can be NHL standard after next year.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

[/QUOTE=RJ8812;48828445]How so? Maybe over in Europe, but not in NA. It will probably take him at least half the season to adjust to the NA game[/QUOTE]

How so?

How many major european league starting goalies have come over here and not been either an AHL starter or even jump right to the NHL?

I really don't think it would be much of a stretch to see him be the AHL starter at all.

Off the top of my head (so I could very well stand to be corrected), I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist, Gustafsson, Backstrom, Irbe, Varlomov, Karlsson all went right to the NHL.

I'm also pretty sure Kipper, Rinne, Toskala, Lehtonen and Rask were all AHL starters their first year over here.

From our own organization alone: Cechmanek and Bob both went straight to the NHL, and Backlund was the AHL starter when he came. Nitty is the one guy I can think of that was paired with an AHL vet his first year but I'm fairly confident he was a lot younger than Hovinen since it was only a coupe of years after we drafted him that he came.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:20 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
The Flyers got some bad -- but not unexpected -- news from overseas yesterday. Finnish goaltending prospect Niko Hovinen needs offseason hip surgery.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ffice/45/44072

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If all of the RFA's but Rowe are qualified and Roe is given a contract from the UFA list, the team would basically be set.

If the reports on the two Matts are correct they should be nice additions to the team. I really like the versatility the kid from college brings.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

probably going to add a vet goalie. Not sure Leighton comes back. He probably thinks he can play at the NHL level. Hovinen and Heeter will be HUGE question marks in the minors. i can see Heeter flipping time between the AHL and the ECHL. Hovinen and vet goalie splitting duties in Adirondack.
There is Brad Phillips as well. Probably going to see a bit of turnover in Adirondack again.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Ryker

Am I alone in thinking that if Hovinen merely splits duties in the frickin' AHL, that this would be a huge step backwards? I mean, he's been the star of the Finnish league, and I think if he doesn't at least (!) vie for a spot in the NHL, it makes no sense for him to even come over.

Last edited by Ryker: 04-26-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:50 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Marcel Noebels has looked pretty damn good since being traded to Portland. Granted, he's spent the majority of his time here on a line with Ty Rattie and Sven Bartschi, but dude is a beast. He's kind of the Hartnell to Rattie and Sven's Giroux and Jagr. Except the other two guys score most of the goals. Hopefully, he's able to translate what he's done here to the pros. Would love to see the guy in the orange and black someday soon.

p.s. He had the OT game winner in game 1 against Tri Ctities, and the tying goal tonight in a 3-1 Winterhawks win!!!!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:37 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I'm pretty sure Hovinen is already better than Bobrovsky at this moment.

One season in AHL and then back up Bryz.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Am I alone in thinking that if Hovinen merely splits duties in the frickin' AHL, that this would be a huge step backwards? I mean, he's been the star of the Finnish league, and I think if he doesn't at least (!) vie for a spot in the NHL, it makes no sense for him to even come over.
I don't know, it's usually a bit tougher for goalies to adjust going from European-sized rinks to North American ones, or vice versa, than it is for skaters. Not just a difference in tempo and playing style, but the angles and all of that stuff changes. He should be the starter, but if the Flyers want the Phantoms to actually compete, it might not be a bad idea to give him a reliable veteran backup and have Heeter be the starter in the ECHL (I don't know anything about that kid though).

I just looked through the list of upcoming ufa goalies... anyone think there's a chance we'll sign Nitty to an AHL contract, similar to what we did with Boucher five years ago, when his career had plummeted. I don't know what Nitty's status is right now, if he'll retire, return to Finland (or, at least, Europe), or if he still has a wish to play in the NHL. His numbers for this year looks absolutely terrible, but I wouldn't mind that solution if Niittymäki wants to try to revive his career. Could be a good thing for Hovinen to have a fellow Finn, perhaps.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
How so?

How many major european league starting goalies have come over here and not been either an AHL starter or even jump right to the NHL?

I really don't think it would be much of a stretch to see him be the AHL starter at all.

Off the top of my head (so I could very well stand to be corrected), I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist, Gustafsson, Backstrom, Irbe, Varlomov, Karlsson all went right to the NHL.

I'm also pretty sure Kipper, Rinne, Toskala, Lehtonen and Rask were all AHL starters their first year over here.

From our own organization alone: Cechmanek and Bob both went straight to the NHL, and Backlund was the AHL starter when he came. Nitty is the one guy I can think of that was paired with an AHL vet his first year but I'm fairly confident he was a lot younger than Hovinen since it was only a coupe of years after we drafted him that he came.
I'm not saying he's going to struggle. All I'm saying is there's a good chance it will take him some time to adjust to the NA game and if it happens, instead of writing him off as a bust (like I'm sure many will), to just give him some time

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
captainpaxil

hovinens hip sugery has me already thinking bust, id hate to see them go into the season with question marks in goal. id say signing a veteran with some nhl experience should be a priority. playing heeter down in trenton with (as i suspect) injury callups.

with schenn and reed pretty much locks to play for the flyers i have questions on who is going to score goals for this team. pither and wellwood struggled and im hoping the addition of mangene,akeson and ranford can improve this area.

the lower end guys were the strength of the team yet surprisingly struggled on the pk. holmstrom wellwood rowe all coming back. id be surprised to see testuide return. oddly i think shelly could be a valuable addition here.

walker is pretty much the only d-man guaranteed to return. with spots available on the flyers im still unsure of who comes out of camp next year out of gus, bourdon, and bart. manning, kessel and lauridson should round out this group nicely but im not sure theres an ace there even at the ahl level.

improving this team will do wonders for develoment i think. you cant have a losing atmosphere and expect guys to bide thier time contentedly.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
[/QUOTE=RJ8812;48828445]How so? Maybe over in Europe, but not in NA. It will probably take him at least half the season to adjust to the NA game
How so?

Varlamov spent the majority of his rookie year in Hershey as a backup.

Toskala split time with Kipper in his rookie year (Kipper's 2nd year)

Lehtonen split time in his rookie year in the AHL.

Cechmanek played 3 games in the AHL to start the season and then was called up.

I don't have a problem with Hovinen getting the majority of the starts in ADK next season, but having a veteran backup (not Leighton or Bacashihua) instead of Heeter would be preferable.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I think your asking a lot of Hovinen to step in and be the legit backup to Bryzgalov next season. He should be playing in the AHL. you want the guy learning the NA game, the smaller rink and everything that comes with it. He wont learn a thing playing once every 2 weeks in the NHL.

bring in a vet to play with Hovinen. I suspect Heeter will play with Phillips in the ECHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote