HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo has asked for trade. UPD: Leafs, Hawks, Panthers and Lightning on his list

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2012, 11:20 PM
  #76
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Oh, good, he's publicly asking for a trade.

That's a *much* better situation...
I merely pointed out that there is no evidence that Gillis asked Lou to waive. You implied Gillis had asked him. You seem to love making up controversy.

Because there is no evidence that Lou has aked for a trade either.

I need to edit because I mistakenly accused you of implying hat Gillis had asked Lou to waive, which you did not. That was Digger. My apologies. My statement about the lack of evidence that Lou has asked for a trade stands.


Last edited by ddawg1950: 04-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.
ddawg1950 is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
  #77
croutonsinmysalad
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
He's drawing up his "trade me to..." list.

In public.

That's the walking talking definition of a rift.
HAHA No. Look at the position Luongo is in. Yeah, he signed a long contract to stay a Canuck, but there's another good goalie on the team whose contract is about to expire. Luongo was asked if he would waive his no trade clause and he said he would because he didn't want to **** block. Therefore, there is going to be a list of teams he would be willing to be traded to. ..

croutonsinmysalad is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
  #78
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
We just went through this nonsense with Hodgson and "only chicken littles think there is a rift" - are we really going to go through the same denial process again?

Either Gillis has asked him to waive, or Luongo is - very publicly - asking to be traded. Neither of those are positive developments.
They certainly aren't negative, We have two good goalies and Luongo is the logical one to trade. Good on him for being a pro about it and not agreeing to be traded at all as some players have done.

vanwest is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
  #79
quat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I guarantee you Gillis did not ask Roberto to waive. Luongo has been treated like **** by some fans and I'm happy for him he's finally going to a place that will hopefully appreciate him more than Vancouver did.

You might not like it or accept it, but it's the truth. Luongo has been treated like **** by the fans.
You post this calling out Vancouver fans? Oh boy. You're a peach. I really like Luongo and while I do think he's been given the gears a bit more than necessary, your post is such an overreaction.

The Canucks faithful (har har), have given Luongo unconditional support for the vast majority of his tenure with the team. He's been booed maybe a couple of times in six seasons. The fact you think this is running him out of town is a freaking joke.

The biggest culprits for sandbagging Luongo have been the media, and most of that was generated during the finals against the Bruins, with some earlier stuff held over from his time as the team Captain. Apparently that rubbed some media types the wrong way.

quat is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
  #80
xtra
Registered User
 
xtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
Lets be honest. this city is going to turn on Schneider by the all-star break when his numbers aren't what they are right now. I am just sitting back and waiting to see who are the first ones to jump on the Eddie lack is better than Schneider bandwagon.

I hope luongo goes on to win 3 cups

xtra is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
  #81
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 17,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
We just went through this nonsense with Hodgson and "only chicken littles think there is a rift" - are we really going to go through the same denial process again?

Either Gillis has asked him to waive, or Luongo is - very publicly - asking to be traded less than 48 hours after the season ended. Neither of those are positive developments.
I'll leave you to your conspiracies.

Canucker is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #82
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
Lets be honest. this city is going to turn on Schneider by the all-star break when his numbers aren't what they are right now. I am just sitting back and waiting to see who are the first ones to jump on the Eddie lack is better than Schneider bandwagon.

I hope luongo goes on to win 3 cups
Schneider will get criticism for sure but I don't think he will be subject to the same level as Luongo. I'm not saying it's fair but that's probably the case. And personally I'd love to see Luongo win a cup. He's a class act.

vanwest is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #83
I in the Eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country:
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
If Toronto's on his list... It's a pretty long short-list...

I in the Eye is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #84
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,021
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
No, Cory Schneider just ran the best goaltender this franchise has ever had out of town.



Uh.. can you honestly blame them? I like Luongo, but he hasn't exactly done anything to help his cause or win any of the "haters" over.
What have the 'fans' done for me to win me over? All they've done is whined and complained at every turn in the road, and when the team needs their support they aren't there. The way I see it is we're a bunch of chokers. But because I'm criticizing myself and all the rest of us, I'll be laughed off because the fans can never do wrong. I might be laughed off because I seem crazy because I disagree with the rest of you or some other ********. But really, I think the stance of us running Luongo out of town may seem drastic and probably hyperbolic but I would not be sure whether to laugh or cry if Schneider gets the same treatment from fans and media.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  #85
pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,179
vCash: 50
poor guy

pahlsson is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
  #86
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I'll leave you to your conspiracies.
There is no conspiracy.

 
Old
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
  #87
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
If Toronto's on his list... It's a pretty long short-list...
He does have a history with Nonis.

vanwest is online now  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
  #88
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,072
vCash: 500
Luongo still gets a ton of love from fans here, but like anything in life the vocal minority will drown out everyone else. The guy gets his name chanted whenever he makes a routine save, so its hard to say the fans drove him out.

m9 is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
  #89
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
It happens when a team moves on and so does a player. We have another goalie that Gillis feels is confident enough moving forward with. He's going to be cheaper, we let go of a contract that might conflict with our future plans, younger goalie that will move forward with the youth movement.

Am I sad he's leaving? Yes, he's the best goalie we've ever had. We probably won't have another goalie of his caliber in a long time, but his time here has come to an end. I'll cheer him where ever he goes.

KISSland is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
  #90
quat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Mitchell.
Really? The guy who has a huge health related question mark over his head doesn't get resigned and that's due to a rift? Funny, I thought it was a matter of not trusting him to stay healthy. Same as Samuelson.

Just because Willy may have been pissed he wasn't offered the same deal hardly makes it what you're claiming.

Anyone else?

quat is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:27 PM
  #91
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Schneider will get criticism for sure but I don't think he will be subject to the same level as Luongo.
It could actually be worse. Not only will his own performance not be what is (unrealistically) expected, he will go down in Canucks history as the dude who forced out Luongo, who in fandom's memories will shortly transform into "the best we ever had".

 
Old
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
  #92
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Really?
Yep, really.

You are, of course, free to believe whatever you like.

 
Old
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
  #93
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,841
vCash: 500
I think Luongo has shouldered a lot of criticism from fans and media with a ton of class during his entire tenure here, some of it fair but most of it unfair. He's always been a great teammate, and I don't think anyone can accuse him of caring too little -- if anything, it's been the opposite.

Personally, I think the way he's been treated has been largely embarrassing as a Canucks fan, but it doesn't really matter anymore.

My guess at teams we'd see on a list?

Toronto
San Jose
Detroit
Florida
Tampa
Chicago (haha)

Proto is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
  #94
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,021
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
You post this calling out Vancouver fans? Oh boy. You're a peach. I really like Luongo and while I do think he's been given the gears a bit more than necessary, your post is such an overreaction.

The Canucks faithful (har har), have given Luongo unconditional support for the vast majority of his tenure with the team. He's been booed maybe a couple of times in six seasons. The fact you think this is running him out of town is a freaking joke.

The biggest culprits for sandbagging Luongo have been the media, and most of that was generated during the finals against the Bruins, with some earlier stuff held over from his time as the team Captain. Apparently that rubbed some media types the wrong way.
Like you said, I probably did overreact but am I the only one that remembers Luongo being criticized by a few in his first season saying he lost us the series vs Anaheim because of the OT goal by Neids? I do. Do you remember his personal life being criticized in 2008 because our team was crap down the stretch? I do. Do you remember the summer of 7uongo where our fans were openly discussing trade when he put up a valiant effort against the Blues? I do. Do you remember last summer where 8 goals in 7 games was a mere afterthought of Luongo's play (2 shutouts and one monumental blow-up) where his good play was conveniently forgotten and discredited? I do.

Yeah, running him out of town is probably hyperbole, yes. But you can't just sit here and say with a straight face that Luongo was treated fairly by some fans during his years here.

And I disagree with nothing you said in your last half-paragraph.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
  #95
King of Anarchy
Registered User
 
King of Anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Let me get this straight. It's taken less that a week to get from “you’d be an idiot to trade one of the best goalies in the league” to “I hope you guys are happy. You just ran out the best goalie that this team ever had”?

WHAT CHANGED?!

Roberto Luongo, the most vilified player in recent history, just spared himself for the future of the franchise and now you guys are walking out of the theatre with tears streaming down your face?!

Ugh.

King of Anarchy is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
  #96
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique
 
The Gourmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think Luongo has shouldered a lot of criticism from fans and media with a ton of class during his entire tenure here, some of it fair but most of it unfair. He's always been a great teammate, and I don't think anyone can accuse him of caring too little -- if anything, it's been the opposite.

Personally, I think the way he's been treated has been largely embarrassing as a Canucks fan, but it doesn't really matter anymore.

My guess at teams we'd see on a list?

Toronto
San Jose
Detroit
Florida
Tampa
Chicago (haha)
If Luongo went to Chicago HF wouldn't explode; I would explode. We would all explode. Even people who don't watch hockey would explode.

The Gourmet is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:31 PM
  #97
PuckMunchkin
Registered User
 
PuckMunchkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lapland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Congratulations, "fans" you just ran the best goaltender this franchise has ever had out of town. Hopefully Schneider gets better support than Luo did, because then I won't have to say this again.
Eddie Lack 2015!

PuckMunchkin is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
  #98
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
He's always been a great teammate, and I don't think anyone can accuse him of caring too little -- if anything, it's been the opposite.
In a way, he reminds me of Glen Hanlon.

 
Old
04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
  #99
ephmrl
#tanknation
 
ephmrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
It sucks that his time as the Canucks best goaltender in franchise history is ending like this.

ephmrl is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
  #100
quat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
What have the 'fans' done for me to win me over? All they've done is whined and complained at every turn in the road, and when the team needs their support they aren't there. The way I see it is we're a bunch of chokers. But because I'm criticizing myself and all the rest of us, I'll be laughed off because the fans can never do wrong. I might be laughed off because I seem crazy because I disagree with the rest of you or some other ********. But really, I think the stance of us running Luongo out of town may seem drastic and probably hyperbolic but I would not be sure whether to laugh or cry if Schneider gets the same treatment from fans and media.
Actually, a lot of Vancouver fans are idiots, along with the fans of every other franchise in this league. The fact you think they are dictating what the GM is doing is troubling.

I'm not even convinced that Schneider will be as good as Luongo, we'll have to wait and see if that happens. They have to pick one goalie or the other, and neither choice is all that bad.

Personally, having Luongo here mentoring Lack would be just fine, but pretending that Luongo doesn't have any weaknesses is rather absurd. Expectations are high for top teams, and when players struggle they usually hear about it. The same way they are targeted with adulation when they succeed.

The fact you think it's just Luongo that's faced any negativity is kind of humorous. Naslund, the Sedins and now Kesler are all dumped on, so why you're getting all sensitive about Luongo bears some looking into.

quat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.