HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo has asked for trade. UPD: Leafs, Hawks, Panthers and Lightning on his list

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Like you said, I probably did overreact but am I the only one that remembers Luongo being criticized by a few in his first season saying he lost us the series vs Anaheim because of the OT goal by Neids? I do. Do you remember his personal life being criticized in 2008 because our team was crap down the stretch? I do. Do you remember the summer of 7uongo where our fans were openly discussing trade when he put up a valiant effort against the Blues? I do. Do you remember last summer where 8 goals in 7 games was a mere afterthought of Luongo's play (2 shutouts and one monumental blow-up) where his good play was conveniently forgotten and discredited? I do.

Yeah, running him out of town is probably hyperbole, yes. But you can't just sit here and say with a straight face that Luongo was treated fairly by some fans during his years here.

And I disagree with nothing you said in your last half-paragraph.
A lot of professional athletes aren't treated "fairly" by fans...It comes with the territory. I've seen "fans" who've ragged on Trevor Linden, TREVOR LINDEN! Best get over it because its not going to change, no matter how much you hate it.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Proto

Confirmed by Dan Murphy

Quote:
Dan Murphy ‏ @sportsnetmurph
Toronto is indeed on Roberto Luongo's list of teams he'll submit to #canucks GM Mike Gillis and it should come as no surprise Tampa Bay is 2

Old
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Like you said, I probably did overreact but am I the only one that remembers Luongo being criticized by a few in his first season saying he lost us the series vs Anaheim because of the OT goal by Neids? I do. Do you remember his personal life being criticized in 2008 because our team was crap down the stretch? I do. Do you remember the summer of 7uongo where our fans were openly discussing trade when he put up a valiant effort against the Blues? I do. Do you remember last summer where 8 goals in 7 games was a mere afterthought of Luongo's play (2 shutouts and one monumental blow-up) where his good play was conveniently forgotten and discredited? I do.

Yeah, running him out of town is probably hyperbole, yes. But you can't just sit here and say with a straight face that Luongo was treated fairly by some fans during his years here.

Bolded for emphasis. SOME FANS. The hardcore Luongo supporters need to keep this in perspective. Saying the entire fanbase "ran him out of the city" because a handful of idiots booed him a couple times in 6 years is just being melodramatic and silly. The majority of fans admire and respect him for all he's done here, even those that feel it's time for the team to go with Schneider.

Wherever Luongo ends up, I am pretty confident he will be successful. Him moving on is best for both the team and him.

Old
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:

You take hf way to seriously lol.. Not like hes constantly reading threads here.

Old
Dado

vCash:
Ok, so the common theme is three syllables and prominent use of the letter "T".

Assuming he's not making this **** up, who's feeding the information? Luongo's camp?

Old
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Dan Murphy ‏ @sportsnetmurph Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Toronto is indeed on Roberto Luongo's list of teams he'll submit to #canucks GM Mike Gillis and it should come as no surprise Tampa Bay is 2

Old
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
You post this calling out Vancouver fans? Oh boy. You're a peach. I really like Luongo and while I do think he's been given the gears a bit more than necessary, your post is such an overreaction.

The Canucks faithful (har har), have given Luongo unconditional support for the vast majority of his tenure with the team. He's been booed maybe a couple of times in six seasons. The fact you think this is running him out of town is a freaking joke.

The biggest culprits for sandbagging Luongo have been the media, and most of that was generated during the finals against the Bruins, with some earlier stuff held over from his time as the team Captain. Apparently that rubbed some media types the wrong way.
I sort of agree with you, but remember, Rogers Arena cheered when he was pulled during the finals, at at least once this year when he was pulled against Anaheim.

All in all this makes me sad. Luongo is the best goaltender this team has ever had. Despite his struggles, he's always been a stand-up guy and a team player. If he leaves, I'll definitely follow him and hope he has success wherever he goes.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
A lot of professional athletes aren't treated "fairly" by fans...It comes with the territory. I've seen "fans" who've ragged on Trevor Linden, TREVOR LINDEN! Best get over it because its not going to change, no matter how much you hate it.
....I guess so.

This is how I feel sometimes though:

Old
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
He does have a history with Nonis.
Ya, I guess so... But I'd put more stock in it being much closer to home (both Montreal and Florida)... He'd play at both places much more often, and could get to and from there much more easily... From a personal life point-of-view, I think Luongo would be much happier in Toronto than Vancouver... A happier wife, a happier life... so I'm told... Hockey-wise, at least he'd have his memories... Toronto can suck the hockey life out of him... but Toronto can't steal his memories...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 04-25-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old
04-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Also comes with the territory if you are making alot of coin (position of goalie doesn't help either).

Old
04-25-2012, 11:42 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Yep, really.

You are, of course, free to believe whatever you like.
You're here claiming that the Canucks management treat players poorly, and when asked about it (other than Hodgson), all you come up with is Willy Mitchell?

I'm willing to be convinced if you can actually present something in the way of a lucid argument to support your opinion. Simply naming a single player with no other kind of explanation is hardly defensible. I don't know anything of the inner workings of the team so I'm not particularly attached to what I assume is a fairly decent organization.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:43 PM
dc

Luongo will be the ex-Canuck I'll be cheering hardest for to win a cup.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
You're here claiming that the Canucks management treat players poorly...
Sorry, I never said that, you'll have to joust that strawman with someone else.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
realist99

Quote:
Congratulations, "fans" you just ran the best goaltender this franchise has ever had out of town. Hopefully Schneider gets better support than Luo did, because then I won't have to say this again.
lol like the fans have any say. I don't recall getting a letter in my seasons ticket package asking if I think Loungo should stay or go.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:

Are you referring to posters on this site? Cause if you are, well I can't disagree. I was speaking in much broader terms. There will always be detractors for every single player, no matter how talented until they've won a cup, and then no doubt it wouldn't even stop there.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
realist99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
This is all on the fans. The fans and media in this city do not support. They tear down. Every other city who goes into the playoffs get unconditional support. Yes, there is criticism, but there isn't "SCHNIEDER WOULD BE BETTER THAN THE CHOKER LUONGO". The fans run players out of this city because they don't support the players. The organization is then put into situations where they will get backlash when they do something "bold". Hodgson is a perfect example. Hodgson gets dealt because of obvious issues and all fans can do is ***** and whine because they were so emotionally invested.
hahaha

L

O

L

Old
04-25-2012, 11:47 PM
TwelveMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
Best regular season goaltender.
And only two goaltenders made it to Cup finals last year...not to mention it was only Canucks' third SC appearance. Try to show a little more respect.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:48 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
Don't get why this is all playing out so quickly and so publicly.
Guess it Lou wanted it over quickly. It's going to be public or not, being out in the open maybe Lou's guys feel it shows he's a team player and not being a cancer.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:52 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
If Toronto's on his list... It's a pretty long short-list...
There are no Schneider's there, he's only got to beat out Reimer. Maybe he'll feel safer.

Old
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
You take hf way to seriously lol.. Not like hes constantly reading threads here.
Clearly I care too much.

Old
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Guess it Lou wanted it over quickly. It's going to be public or not, being out in the open maybe Lou's guys feel it shows he's a team player and not being a cancer.
Ya Luongo obviously isn't gonna want to be strung along all summer long while the Canucks try and negotiate a deal for him. If he's gonna be traded, it's safe to assume he's gonna want it to happen ASAP.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:53 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Sorry, I never said that, you'll have to joust that strawman with someone else.
Ok, what ever words you want to use to express your initial statement. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Rift, whatever you want is fine. Just please actually explain why you posted that comment.

Strawman indeed. You've been asked several times by different people to explain yourself, and so far all you've done is avoid the question. I'm actually interested in finding out why you've reached your conclusion.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Dado

vCash:
Plus it gives Burke a chance to grab some headlines while the Leaf-less playoffs are running.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Clearly I care too much.
Clearly, the fans have gotten to you!

Old
04-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
This is going so fast.. I thought teams can't talk to each other till the season is over? Woah, this is insane. It's actually happening..

Betting Toronto, Montreal, Tampa, Florida will be on it. Don't know who else. Detroit?

I'll be pissed off if we take any sort of cap dump.
The regular season is over, so non playoff teams can make a trade tomorrow if they wanted. The playoffs are a non factor. Vancouver is now out so they can work out deals and look ahead to next year.

Closed Thread