HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
diceman934

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I was at the game and I'm kind of shocked to see this kind of praise towards Rielly. And it is Rielly, not Reilly.

He was very good offensively, with a few nice rushes and nice passes to start the breakout but he wasn't terribly amazing besides that. Lost quite a few battles on the boards and turned over a couple of pucks after getting hit.

His play to stop Samuelsson on the breakaway was impressive, but you have to realize that Henrik was at the end of a 45-60 second shift and had zero left in the tank for the breakaway...not to mention he was banged up seconds earlier and run hard into the end glass.

To call him the best player on the ice is pretty short-sighted. Brossoit was that guy for me. He wasn't tested with a ton of hard stops, but he was very good when he needed to be. McIlrath, Edmundson and Point were all arguably better than Rielly was, too.

And as for Reinhart, he wasn't noticeable because that's his game. He plays aggressive, hits hard, QB's a PP and doesn't make any mistakes. He was just as good as Rielly was last night. Flashy doesn't mean better.
Typo...sorry. I know Morgan very well. Should checked posts for typos before posting.

He was in my opinion clearly the best player on the ice. The play in question was more then impressive as not only did he catch him when he was a whole zone behind he drew a penalty as well.

He played a tone of minutes and this is after missing all but the first part of the season. Moose Jaw has Howden and not a lot more offensively. I also mention that I thought Brossoit was real good and the difference in the game.

Tampa will likely want to trade up to get him. Murry was around in Wilcox watching him a lot in his Midget Year at Notre Dame and he is also friends with the Notre Dame coach.

He was impressive enough that a lot of scouts are rethinking the draft ....at least the ones with picks in the top 8. If Morgan Rielly last past the top 6 I would be shocked. He is the D man with the most upside in the draft. Sorry and I watched for Reinhart and he turned the puck over several times and did not impress.....

Old
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Shanahanigans

Watched a Junior game for the first time yesterday (Oil Kings-Warriors) so I'll try and give a few observations. Stick with me if I'm wrong, I'm probably not good at scouting!

1. The difference in quality of play between the Junior Leagues and the NHL is huge. I have a whole new level of respect for prospects who can make the jump right away.

2. Watching him yesterday, I don't know how Rielly isn't a top 5 pick this draft. He was the best player on the ice.

3. Reinhart is reliable, but not as flashy as Rielly. Rielly reminds me of a sort of Keith/Doughty hybrid with his skating.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Steve Yzerman on the air right now on Moose Jaw radio.

On Morgan Rielly:

"His skating is the first thing that jumps out. That and his puck handling are at an elite level."

Old
04-25-2012, 10:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Steve Yzerman on the air right now on Moose Jaw radio.

On Morgan Rielly:

"His skating is the first thing that jumps out. That and his puck handling are at an elite level."
Not going to get him at 10 Stevie!

Old
04-25-2012, 11:03 PM
nikyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Man, you really need to stop pretending you just stumbled upon each and every prospect report on tlastwordonsports.com Make an official thread for it or something.
Minny may trade down for Tampa's 10th round and Detriot's 1st round pick ( owned by Tampa). That's about where I project Morgan to be picked.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

He sounds alot like erik karlsson

Old
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not going to get him at 10 Stevie!
Carolina (#8 pick) might be Tampa Bay's logical trading partner if Rielly goes after Dumba and Trouba. As for CAR, Teräväinen or Faksa should still be available at #10 if forward is the desired position to fill.

Big 5
6. Trouba ANA
7. Dumba MIN
8. Rielly TBL
9. Reinhart WPG
10. Teräväinen CAR
11. Faksa WSH

04-26-2012, 12:21 AM
puckfan13

Anyone at the game tonight? How'd he look in the win?

Old
04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Watched a Junior game for the first time yesterday (Oil Kings-Warriors) so I'll try and give a few observations. Stick with me if I'm wrong, I'm probably not good at scouting!

1. The difference in quality of play between the Junior Leagues and the NHL is huge. I have a whole new level of respect for prospects who can make the jump right away.

2. Watching him yesterday, I don't know how Rielly isn't a top 5 pick this draft. He was the best player on the ice.

3. Reinhart is reliable, but not as flashy as Rielly. Rielly reminds me of a sort of Keith/Doughty hybrid with his skating.
Of course the difference btwn the JR's and NHL is huge youre talking about teams who are only allowed to have 3 players who are 20 years old compared to teams of men. The similarities come int he systems and the speed of the game and the defense for the most part.

You are right though I watched the game and I couldnt believe how good Reilly looked. He was unreal almost every time he was on the ice.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Carolina (#8 pick) might be Tampa Bay's logical trading partner if Rielly goes after Dumba and Trouba. As for CAR, Teräväinen or Faksa should still be available at #10 if forward is the desired position to fill.

Big 5
6. Trouba ANA
7. Dumba MIN
8. Rielly TBL
9. Reinhart WPG
10. Teräväinen CAR
11. Faksa WSH
Why would CAR help TB get that type of crucial piece though? It's not like CAR is desperately in need of picks - they have a pair of 2nds and a trio of 4ths.

My guess is TB will need to trade up to 7.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Why would CAR help TB get that type of crucial piece though? It's not like CAR is desperately in need of picks - they have a pair of 2nds and a trio of 4ths.

My guess is TB will need to trade up to 7.
The Wild are somewhat in the same boat as Carolina, why would they trade down? They're at a point in rebuilding their prospect pool where they're looking just for quality, not quantity. A second first would be nice, but I think the team would much rather have the higher pick.

Besides, considering Flahr's usual preferences in drafting, I suspect Rielly is probably around 3rd or 4th on the Wild's board. I think Tampa would need to move up to 6th to get Rielly because I can't see the Wild trading down with Rielly on the board unless they really like someone later who they're confident will still be around at 10.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Anyone at the game tonight? How'd he look in the win?
Wasn't at the game, but did watch the last 2 periods online. He was good, really made some dynamic plays rushing the puck. Was much better this game then he was in game 3, which I was at live.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Wasn't at the game, but did watch the last 2 periods online. He was good, really made some dynamic plays rushing the puck. Was much better this game then he was in game 3, which I was at live.
His d zone play was a bit lackadaisical in the 3rd period I thought.

I think it can be attributed to his missed time. Just felt he caught flat footed a bit.

Still an excellent talent, with a great deal of potential.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Keep in mind he's coming off injury and isnt at 100%. He is only going to get better and better the longer Moose Jaw continues to play.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I think people know that he can play. His talent level isnt a huge issue.

How does the knee and the skating look? Is it close to 100%?

Old
04-27-2012, 05:59 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

He looked like the best skater on the ice in game 3. Gets up to top speed very fast.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:41 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Ok....

Old
04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Ok....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
He looked like the best skater on the ice in game 3. Gets up to top speed very fast.
Thanks to one of you for answering the question.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Thanks to one of you for answering the question.
I just didn't understand why you had to take a shot at what I was saying, when all I was doing was commenting about how he looked in the game.

His skating looks much better than I would have expected at this point in time, considering his injury.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Joey Moss

This guys incredible. Whoever gets him past #4 is one lucky team because, IMO that's where he'd be if he wasn't injured this season. Maybe even a top 3 pick.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
This guys incredible. Whoever gets him past #4 is one lucky team because, IMO that's where he'd be if he wasn't injured this season. Maybe even a top 3 pick.
I have been stating in the Leaf threads that Rielly is a huge talent. He if he played all year would have made Team Canada and been rated one or two. His injury hurt his chances of showing just how good he is.

I watch both games at the Jaw and thought that he was simply the best player on the ice both games. He is a gift at anything past 3. I feel that he is the best D man in the draft and at this point the number 2 player available. I can see Edmonton trading down with Montreal and drafting him.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I just didn't understand why you had to take a shot at what I was saying, when all I was doing was commenting about how he looked in the game.

His skating looks much better than I would have expected at this point in time, considering his injury.
I wasn't taking a shot at you... it was just a comment.... wasn't meant maliciously.

The bolded is what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:34 PM
soothsayer

A

Just got back from the game. Reiley clearly was the best skater and puck handler for the defensemen. His breakout with the puck was elite as far as the WHL level goes.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania* View Post
I wasn't taking a shot at you... it was just a comment.... wasn't meant maliciously.

The bolded is what I wanted to know. Thanks.
So who are you, Beakermania or Commandant?

Old
05-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

This guy has me in awe, he just keeps getting better and better every game and considering he was pretty much injured throughout the year, it's phenomenal how much slick he looks on both ends of the rink.

Closed Thread