HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo To Toronto? Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2012, 12:50 AM
  #1
LeeIs
M a t s
 
LeeIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,387
vCash: 500
Luongo To Toronto? Part II

Continue here folks.

Good goalie. Baaaaad contract!

__________________
------
*GO LEAFS GO!*
LeeIs is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 12:56 AM
  #2
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,460
vCash: 50
Burke needs to take the risk as long as the price isn't too high. A good goaltender is just about the only thing that could buy him some time.

LC is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 12:58 AM
  #3
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 16,089
vCash: 500
Please say no to him. I really think Reimer is the real deal, and if he and Luonlol both start playing well, we can't ship off Luonlol for a while.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 12:59 AM
  #4
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty
 
AtotheT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 905, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Luongo/Reimer for 2012! Bandwagoner's...its time to hop on.

AtotheT is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
  #5
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Current Leafs roster + Luongo = sure playoff spot, possibly even home ice for the first round.

Is that worth your 1st?

(Not rhetorical)

 
Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
  #6
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Pros:
- #1 goaltender
- Has played deep into the playoffs
- Battle-tested in a media-crazy hockey city
- Not a bad annual cap hit for a #1
- Has put up respectable numbers on below-average teams before
- Likely could be gotten for relatively cheap

Cons:
- Age: 33 (how many "good" years does he have left?)
- Contract length
- Question marks re: whether he can rise to the challenge in big games (Olympics notwithstanding)
- Boston is in our division
- Contract will likely be untradable within 3-4 years
- Uncertainties re: cap circumventive contracts in next CBA negotiations

Dado: You are NOT getting the #5 pick. Just like Vancouver's not giving him away for scraps. Meet us somewhere in the middle.

Duke Silver is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
  #7
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 500
Who cares about his contract? You guys are the only team not to make the playoffs since the lockout. If hes a leaf next season i guarantee you guys will make the playoffs.

Bgav is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
  #8
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Current Leafs roster + Luongo = sure playoff spot, possibly even home ice for the first round.

Is that worth your 1st?

(Not rhetorical)
Yes.

Even a very high pick has a very small probability of having the kind of impact on the Leafs that Luongo would make over a few years.


Last edited by TheProspector: 04-26-2012 at 01:06 AM.
TheProspector is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
  #9
TheOneArmedMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Luongo was asked to submit a list of teams he'd be willing to go too. Toronto is on that list.

james duthie ‏ @tsnjamesduthie
Sources say Roberto Luongo will submit a short list of teams he'd waive his no-trade to go to next week. Toronto will be on it.

TheOneArmedMan is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:03 AM
  #10
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Please say no to him. I really think Reimer is the real deal, and if he and Luonlol both start playing well, we can't ship off Luonlol for a while.
You really think Reimer is the real deal, while Luongo IS the real deal. Give me the sure thing everyday! Reimer can develop and play 20-25 games and learn from Luongo, nothing wrong with that. I don't get why so many people are pushing and rushing Reimer so much into the starting role, if he isn't ready he isn't ready.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 AM
  #11
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Who cares about his contract? You guys are the only team not to make the playoffs since the lockout. If hes a leaf next season i guarantee you guys will make the playoffs.
does he want to face Bruins 6 times? Even though I think Thomas game will decline soon.

Erza Scarlet is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 AM
  #12
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Who cares about his contract? You guys are the only team not to make the playoffs since the lockout. If hes a leaf next season i guarantee you guys will make the playoffs.
EXACTLY! This^

Stats01 is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
  #13
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
You really think Reimer is the real deal, while Luongo IS the real deal. Give me the sure thing everyday! Reimer can develop and play 20-25 games and learn from Luongo, nothing wrong with that. I don't get why so many people are pushing and rushing Reimer so much into the starting role, if he isn't ready he isn't ready.
Is Schenider 30 game sample a large enough sample to make a conclusion about young goaltenders?

Erza Scarlet is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
  #14
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,268
vCash: 500
Leafs are in desperate need of a goalie, and Luongo, as much some people like to downplay him, including myself at times, is still a top 10 goalie. With the surrounding circumstances, I can't see costing too much.

Hanta Yo is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
  #15
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 0
I'd rather see if Halak is available .

hotpaws is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:06 AM
  #16
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Pros:
- #1 goaltender
- Has played deep into the playoffs
- Battle-tested in a media-crazy hockey city
- Not a bad annual cap hit for a #1
- Has put up respectable numbers on below-average teams before
- Likely could be gotten for relatively cheap

Cons:
- Age: 33 (how many "good" years does he have left?)
- Contract length
- Question marks re: whether he can rise to the challenge in big games (Olympics notwithstanding)
- Boston is in our division
- Contract will likely be untradable within 3-4 years
- Uncertainties re: cap circumventive contracts in next CBA negotiations

Dado: You are NOT getting the #5 pick. Just like Vancouver's not giving him away for scraps. Meet us somewhere in the middle.
Somewhere in the middle IMO would be Franson and a pick. They're not touching the 5th overall thats for sure, you should read the Canucks board LOL so high strung and oblivious, they honestly believe they can get the 5th pick.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:06 AM
  #17
MoeMoney
Registered User
 
MoeMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Current Leafs roster + Luongo = sure playoff spot, possibly even home ice for the first round.

Is that worth your 1st?

(Not rhetorical)
No.


Lol at you thinking you're going to get the 5th overall pick for Luongo. This trade happens because you don't have the luxury to drive up his price and need a partner to take on that contract all the while you can't be asking for top picks and prospects when some team is essentially doing you a favour (not because Lu is a bad goalie but just the reality of the situation and the cap), you need to get rid of him ASAP because of Shneiders RFA status, you're not going to get a great return, spare parts is what Van fans should expect. And he's more likely headed to Tampa.

MoeMoney is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:06 AM
  #18
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Who cares about his contract? You guys are the only team not to make the playoffs since the lockout. If hes a leaf next season i guarantee you guys will make the playoffs.
That's the sort of short-term thinking that has gotten this organization into trouble in the last decade.

You can afford to look at things on a short-term basis when you're close to being contenders. We are not.

Duke Silver is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM
  #19
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
does he want to face Bruins 6 times? Even though I think Thomas game will decline soon.
He beat them 3 times, better then losing all of your games against them, no?

Bgav is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:08 AM
  #20
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Is Schenider 30 game sample a large enough sample to make a conclusion about young goaltenders?
Yes, Reimer can only dream and wish to have as much talent as Schneider does. Let's be real here. Schneider has proven it in college, in the minors, with the Canucks and in the playoffs, he's a stud, he's ready for prime time.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
  #21
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 16,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
You really think Reimer is the real deal, while Luongo IS the real deal. Give me the sure thing everyday! Reimer can develop and play 20-25 games and learn from Luongo, nothing wrong with that. I don't get why so many people are pushing and rushing Reimer so much into the starting role, if he isn't ready he isn't ready.
Right, Reimer definitely can learn and play little brother for 5 years.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
  #22
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
He beat them 3 times, better then losing all of your games against them, no?
He beat them three times with Vancouver's offense in front of him.

Duke Silver is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
  #23
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
He beat them three times with Vancouver's offense in front of him.
what offense? he had to shut them out twice. We scored 8 goals in 7 games.

Bgav is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
  #24
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
I think if Luongo is on the market and Toronto is on his list of teams, then you just know we're going to get him. There's an obvious hole that Luongo will most certainly fill, and Burke has to get the player. It probably means our 5th overall pick is a goner, but we probably knew deep down we were never going to make that pick anyway. It's not the Toronto way of doing things.

jughead42 is offline  
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
  #25
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Right, Reimer definitely can learn and play little brother for 5 years.
I wouldn't be upset about dealing him either. What has Reimer done to get so many of you so uptight about him not starting or giving up the position to Luongo lol. We finished in the lottery people. Let's get a grip.

Stats01 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.