HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal II

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 12:06 AM
IHeartZherdev

vCash: 500
To Pitt

LA Kings 1st round pick
Fedor Tyutin
RJ Umberger

To CBJ
Jordan Staal
Zbynek Michalek

Old
04-26-2012, 12:15 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
When people value Kulemin highly because of his one 30 goal season, I always think of Cheechoo. 56 goals to 37 to 23 to 12 to 5 to now in the AHL.
It's not just the 30 goals. Kulemin is a good player. He works hard, skates well, is strong along the boards, good defensively - he has no real weakness. I know he scored 30, but I don't think he's a perennial 30 goal guy in the NHL, he's a 20 goal guy in the right situation though. He lacks the vision/hockey sense/shot to be anything more than that, over the long haul.

Cheechoo was a one-trick pony who's skating deteriorated so badly that he could no longer play in the league. The 56 goals was an aberration, thank you Joe Thornton.

I'd still keep Staal.

The Pens are a great team who had a terrible series. They remain among the best in the NHL. I don't see any reason for any big changes.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
I like how Kuli plays too, but its ridiculous how some fellow fans overrate him... They say 30 goal scorer and then continue to value him even more then that since he is still young and developing. 20 goal player like you said I think will be the max he will become. Probably ends up as a hard hitting 2nd line winger (3rd line depending on the team) who specializes in defense but can chip in offensively when needed. I see him likely to be a 3.5m player, not too shabby, but not the 'I include him because he will replace Staal perfectly one day' some people seem to imply.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:31 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsuple View Post
to pit
eric belanger
ryan whitney
linus omark (rfa)

to edm
jordan stall
If it's bathroom stall, then it's a deal. If it's Jordan Staal, then... yeah nevermind!

Old
04-26-2012, 04:51 AM
OOEEL

Outside of OEL, what would it take to bring Jordan Staal to Phoenix? He'd not only be the #1 center, but he'd be one of the faces of the franchise. I haven't seen a massive amount of him, but he's like a better Martin Hanzal, right? Big, physical two way center?

We have practically nothing when it comes to forward prospects, but feel free to raid our cupboard of d-men we've been hoarding.

Oh and if we'll take Zbynek back if that'll help out, since you guys clearly aren't using him right

Old
04-26-2012, 05:03 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Staal on the ducks just seems like a perfect match, if there was a way to construct a deal around Ryan, or if the Ducks could use their no.6 pick and a prospect to land a defensemen Pittsburgh would want for Staal I would want it done. I just don't think he's going to remain in Pittsburgh to be their no.3 Center. he's a no.2 atleast on most teams

Old
04-26-2012, 05:22 AM
jakapono24

Schenn, Kuli, Colborne and a conditional second/guaranteed 3rd....

It's not a bad package...but since everyone hates Schenn, many won't like it.

Old
04-26-2012, 06:58 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapono24 View Post

lol wtf? since when did it go from Schenn + Kulemin to adding Colborne and a top-90 pick?

Old
04-26-2012, 06:59 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Staal on the ducks just seems like a perfect match, if there was a way to construct a deal around Ryan, or if the Ducks could use their no.6 pick and a prospect to land a defensemen Pittsburgh would want for Staal I would want it done. I just don't think he's going to remain in Pittsburgh to be their no.3 Center. he's a no.2 atleast on most teams
Don't you think Anaheim is better off simply keeping that defenseman instead?

Old
04-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Have you watched Etem in Syracuse? He's not going to jump right in to the NHL next year as a top six forward. He'll need a half season in the minors at the very least.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Don't you think Anaheim is better off simply keeping that defenseman instead?
Goaltending was our big issue this year. It took Hiller half a season to get back in form after missing six months with vertigo.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Pittsburgh takes that and runs for the hills. Wow
Ya no way Sabres even think about Myers for Staal. unless Pittsburgh adds and they wont

Old
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
When people value Kulemin highly because of his one 30 goal season, I always think of Cheechoo. 56 goals to 37 to 23 to 12 to 5 to now in the AHL.
Except for the fact Kulemin can skate

Old
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Peter

Canucks will give you Ryan Kesler, Manny Malhotra and Keith Ballard for J. Staal and 2nd round draft pick

Old
04-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapono24 View Post

Actually, that is a bad package. Way too much.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Canucks will give you Ryan Kesler, Manny Malhotra and Keith Ballard for J. Staal and 2nd round draft pick
Would Canuck fans seriously consider a Kesler for Staal swap? Obviously assuming an extension can be worked out.

Under the impression his game would transition to wing with his speed and board play. He brings a net front presence which we sorely need, RHS, can shift to center when an injury occurs or we load up the top line.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Would Canuck fans seriously consider a Kesler for Staal swap? Obviously assuming an extension can be worked out.

Under the impression his game would transition to wing with his speed and board play. He brings a net front presence which we sorely need, RHS, can shift to center when an injury occurs or we load up the top line.
There are some in the Vancovuer media who see a Kesler move as a possibility - especially if Gillis wants to start re-making his core. The return has to be significant though and a player like J. Staal would make it mighty tempting I would think.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
mpp9

I just see Kesler as a perfect return at forward for Staal minus the age gap. He brings a proven defensive presence at center, but could light it up on wing with Sid/Geno with his skating ability, board play and goal scorer's shot.

I'd do it as a pens fan if I'm forced to move Staal. Good scenario for Staal as well.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Ya no way Sabres even think about Myers for Staal. unless Pittsburgh adds and they wont
staal + martin for Myers

Old
04-26-2012, 11:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
staal + martin for Myers
Martin has negative trade value right now.

Pittsburgh won't make an offer that has the Sabres being willing to give up Myers.

Plus, I doubt the Pens want to pay Myers the $12M or so he's slated to make over the next year.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
No he doesn't. The Pens will definitely be able to move him without needing to give up something to do so. They likely won't gain much in return, but they won't have to give any value in any way for someone to trade for him.

and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a team does trade for him on the cheap that they end up looking back on the deal quite fondly. There's a pretty decent chance a team could pick up a quality d man on the cheap here if circumstances play out favorably.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Have you watched Etem in Syracuse? He's not going to jump right in to the NHL next year as a top six forward. He'll need a half season in the minors at the very least.
I really hope that if Staal does leave, we do it with the Ducks and Etem come here. Would love to see him on Crosby's wing in the future.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
No he doesn't. The Pens will definitely be able to move him without needing to give up something to do so. They likely won't gain much in return, but they won't have to give any value in any way for someone to trade for him.

and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a team does trade for him on the cheap that they end up looking back on the deal quite fondly. There's a pretty decent chance a team could pick up a quality d man on the cheap here if circumstances play out favorably.
I was overstating it. But, only slightly. When fans and media are saying move a guy two years into a big money 5 year UFA deal, his trade value isn't high.

But, Martin doesn't make up the gap in trade value that the Sabres would place on Myers and Staal.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
The Pens are a great team who had a terrible series. They remain among the best in the NHL. I don't see any reason for any big changes.
They absolutely need to make some changes. Which will almost certainly be to the blueline. When you allow 28 goals in 6 games, you're doing something wrong. Our D showed that they had a heck of a time moving Philly's forwards out of the crease, and were not nearly physical enough, and didn't block enough shots. This is something that can easily be addressed via trade or FA (assuming there's an open position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Pittsburgh won't make an offer that has the Sabres being willing to give up Myers.

Plus, I doubt the Pens want to pay Myers the $12M or so he's slated to make over the next year.
I'd add to Staal for Myers, depending on what they're looking for (and not Martin). Not sure if the Pens like the idea of Myers 10m signing bonus due July 1st (and if the trade isn't made before that, there's no chance Myers is moved anytime soon).

And Martin doesn't have negative value. His value isn't super high, but the Pens won't have to pay someone to take him. If Shero wants to move him, he'll find someone and get something decent back.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see Staal a good fit for Toronto. He's not a #1 Centre, we already have our 2nd line Centre for a while with Grabo, and he wont want to be a 3rd line Centre somewhere else.

Closed Thread