HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo To Toronto? Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
That's not what I'm doing.

He took over Luongo's starting postion in the PO because Luongo played like ****.
That is incorrect, he was our best player in the first 2 games. Kept us in both of them. Stats don't tell the whole story

Old
04-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Will Luongo enjoy playing on a team made up of mostly >25 year olds?
I guess? You guys are on the list.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
LC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Luongo would be a good fit for us now, but his contract definitely isn't. If he and Reimer both show they can be a #1 for us, we cannot afford to have a 5M backup.

He's got a full NTC as well, so we can't just ship him off when we want to. That's the main issue with him for us.
In the unlikely scenario that Reimer is actually better than Luongo, we could afford to have a $5 million backup. What exactly do we have to spend that money on?

Old
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
mix1home

I find it ironic and sad that Lou was originally taken with Toronto's pick in the draft. Now we need to pony-up decent package to get him at the age of 33, while Van keeping better, cheaper and younger goaltender of future. Why cannot we do something like ottawa and st. Louis just did and buy low on some talented goalie or sign UFA (as goalies were very cheap there)?
Turco is UFA making $600K and Rask is RFA.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Luongo would be a good fit for us now, but his contract definitely isn't. If he and Reimer both show they can be a #1 for us, we cannot afford to have a 5M backup.

He's got a full NTC as well, so we can't just ship him off when we want to. That's the main issue with him for us.
You know Luongo can get you into the playoffs, are you guys willing to just take a chance on Reimer? If so then ya, obviously you already have a number 1 goalie. And lu would be useless.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:33 AM
IrGuy

if luongo can be had for a good price, burke has to do it

Old
04-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
In the unlikely scenario that Reimer is actually better than Luongo, we could afford to have a $5 million backup. What exactly do we have to spend that money on?
A lot. We need 2 more top 6 forwards, and a good 3rd line center. Down the line, we will find many more things to do with 5M.

If this team does turn into a contender withing the next 5 years, which I believe they will, we will have many needs to full up with that 5M.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Would you guys be interested in Franson and a 2nd? Franson IMO is expendable and you get a decent pick.
Franson would be our 7/8th. He would likely battle Gragnani for the 4th RD spot.

The second pick wouldn't help the Canucks until 4-5 years down the road IF he pans out.

I know the Canucks lost in 5 this post-season but they iced a very good team. They lacked good fourth liners (which Luongo won't be traded for) and had a lack of top end forwards (wingers for Kesler) and defensemen (RD to play with Edler).

If Burke is adamant about salary going back I think Connolly would be a very good fit in Vancouver.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
LC

Quote:
A lot. We need 2 more top 6 forwards, and a good 3rd line center. Down the line, we will find many more things to do with 5M.

If this team does turn into a contender withing the next 5 years, which I believe they will, we will have many needs to full up with that 5M.
Well the best I can do is disagree. I see a lot more Komisarek-like players in our July 1st draft.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
You know Luongo can get you into the playoffs, are you guys willing to just take a chance on Reimer? If so then ya, obviously you already have a number 1 goalie. And lu would be useless.
Personally, I am willing to take a chance in Reimer for another year, because I do think he is the real deal, and also the fact that I expect our D to be much better with Carlyle at helm. If Reimer struggles next year, then yea, I can start taking risks for a goaltender.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I believe goaltending was an issue, it's also an issue with the forwards. The coaches haven't put enough discipline on the forwards regarding their defensive play. They're should be benchings when guys aren't playing both ends. And I think Lupul and Kessel should be split up. Unless both are willing to play both ends or at least one of them. I think the Leafs defencemen are fine, it seems like every defencemen we acquire somehow becomes pylons, when the teams game and style which is the large issue.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:43 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Then there isn't a problem because once a player waives their no trade then it is no longer valid. NTC do not travel with players. We found that out with the Carter NTC.

I'd take Luongo on the Leafs but obviously not for a big payment. It would appear that the nucks need to trade him so his value would have to have went down.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
I find it ironic and sad that Lou was originally taken with Toronto's pick in the draft. Now we need to pony-up decent package to get him at the age of 33, while Van keeping better, cheaper and younger goaltender of future. Why cannot we do something like ottawa and st. Louis just did and buy low on some talented goalie or sign UFA (as goalies were very cheap there)?
Do you think trading away Brian Elliot for UFA to be Craig Anderson (and then re-signing him) was buying low?

Goalies are an interesting breed. Elliot and Holtby and Schneider, and Varlamov/Giguere, Smith, Roloson, Khabibulan etc etc are examples of how unpredictable goaltending is.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:46 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I guess? You guys are on the list.
A. I don't believe there is a list yet for Toronto to be on.

B. Being on the list doesn't mean he will enjoy it.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Sittler 27

Age and contract, just say no to Luongo

Old
04-26-2012, 12:50 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Then there isn't a problem because once a player waives their no trade then it is no longer valid. NTC do not travel with players. We found that out with the Carter NTC.
That is not true. It is only the case if the NTC has not kicked in yet. In Luongo's case, it has kicked in and it goes nowhere.

The CBA states a player cannot have a NTC or a NMC until they reach UFA age (Kessel only has one in the last year of his contract). Carter was dealt before his NTC kicked in, and in that situation, the new team has to choose to honour the NTC/NMC. Columbus chose not to honour it, therefore his NTC disappeared.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler 27 View Post
Age and contract, just say no to Luongo
Yup.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Franson would be our 7/8th. He would likely battle Gragnani for the 4th RD spot.

The second pick wouldn't help the Canucks until 4-5 years down the road IF he pans out.

I know the Canucks lost in 5 this post-season but they iced a very good team. They lacked good fourth liners (which Luongo won't be traded for) and had a lack of top end forwards (wingers for Kesler) and defensemen (RD to play with Edler).

If Burke is adamant about salary going back I think Connolly would be a very good fit in Vancouver
No chance, the dude has crazy talent but zero heart and work ethic, he would be a horrible fit on the Nucks even more so then the Leafs.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:57 AM
ChillyPalmer

I'd take him, but I wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick, let alone the 5th overall. I wouldn't even give up Schenn or Franson.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
You know Luongo can get you into the playoffs
I might be in the minority but I strongly agree with u, Luongo can single-handedly steal games and get us comfortably into the post-season which is what we need first and foremost before even bluffing the word cup-final.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
No chance, the dude has crazy talent but zero heart and work ethic, he would be a horrible fit on the Nucks even more so then the Leafs.
Well technically he'd fit in perfectly with the rest of their unmovable core forwards come playoff time.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:31 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1home View Post
Turco looked horrendous in that game he played vs Tampa. Stamkos looked like he was shooting at swiss cheese.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:32 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
I might be in the minority but I strongly agree with u, Luongo can single-handedly steal games and get us comfortably into the post-season which is what we need first and foremost before even bluffing the word cup-final.
At least Luongo would stop shots that are going wide of the net

Old
04-26-2012, 01:46 AM
MoeMoney

You know what's funny?

As evident in this thread, and everywhere else I've read comments from Vancouver fans, they all have nothing but great things to say about Luongo. People in this thread are not even listening to them, they're telling you that under a defensive system he had Vezna like numbers, he carried them to the playoffs, he wasn't the reason they lost in the finals, the offense dried up and he stood on his head to take an injury depleted team farther than they have gone since 94, he is nothing but class and respect and was nothing but a great influence there, and he does not back down from Boston or Chicago so why that's listed as a concern I have no idea. Nothing but good things all around, but so many people are just choosing to ignore this from people that have seen him play 6 years daily, so stubborn its annoying.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:55 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
You know what's funny?
The length of his contract.

The fact it takes him until 43 years old.

His NTC

His 1 single window in either 2014 or 2018 where he can be asked to submit a list of 5 teams.

When he flops around like a salmon on dry land trying to find water.

Those are the things I find funny.

Closed Thread