HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trotz calls out his young players in the paper.....again

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 06:46 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Trotz calls out his young players in the paper.....again

Starting tonight against Vancouver, Predators Coach Barry Trotz is likely to be picking between rookies Ryan Suter and Shea Weber for the sixth active spot on game days, so long as everyone is healthy.

Trotz said injuries typically wind up with a big bearing, but given a choice with his top seven defensemen now, he said attitude will play a big role in who gets scratched.

"If you come and you're ready to play and you practice hard and you bring a positive attitude to the rink and your play is positive, there is a good chance you are going to play," he said.

"If you don't have a positive attitude, if you're sulking if you're in or out, then you're not going to play. I guarantee that. I'm looking for good attitude and good work ethic and good results right now."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....603140373/1028

This seems to me like a direct shot over the bow for Ryan Suter...seems odd that he would be talking about "attitude and sulking" if there wasn't that problem going on.....

"He's got to play with weight and size," Trotz said of the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hartnell, who's playing with Darcy Hordichuk and Scott Nichol. "If he doesn't play with the weight and the size, he's not a very effective player.

"How has he responded? I would say I think he could respond a little bit better."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....603140372/1028

I don't know about you, but this is one of the things that bothers me the most about Trotz.....calling out the young players but NEVER calling out the veterans.....

Old
03-14-2006, 07:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think the media should ever be used to air the lockerroom laundry, no matter the player. The lockerroom is where this should be handled. I can't say I ever remember Bowman calling players out in the media.

Old
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Agreed. I don't think you go to the fishwrapper even after a private discussion. It should stay behind closed doors.

Old
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
dulzhok

I don't think it's a big deal. Just about every coach in the legaue does it. And many of you simply ignore when he does it with veterans. Just last week, he called out Sully, saying he needs to quit trying to play a east/west game, and go back to playing a north/south game.

And what he said about Hartnell is 100% true.

There are endless complaints around here that Trotz does not encourage his players to play physical. And then when he does precisely that, there are even more complaints.

Ya, you heard me, I'm calling you out for calling out Trotz for calling out the young players.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-14-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old
03-14-2006, 08:49 AM
JamieG

Quote:
I don't think the media should ever be used to air the lockerroom laundry, no matter the player. The lockerroom is where this should be handled. I can't say I ever remember Bowman calling players out in the media.
Scotty Bowman always called players out in the media.

In one infamous quote Bowman referred to Steve Yzerman as a "********** primadonna." He also frequently called out Fedorov and Shanahan in the media.

Old
03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
dulzhok

To add....

Welcome to the NHL, we're your not just held accountable by your coach. Your held accountable by the entire city. It's the nature of professional sports.

It's hard, but you're getting paid top dollar to do it.

Old
03-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
I don't know about you, but this is one of the things that bothers me the most about Trotz.....calling out the young players but NEVER calling out the veterans.....
Coach HAS called out veterans in the press before. I've read the articles and agreed with him.

Old
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
jstreet
The downward spiral

vCash: 285
Im always confused as to why Hartnell is always being called out while Adam Hall always flies quietly under the radar. I see them as having similari roles on the team, and what kind of numbers does Hall put up? He has been relatively quiet all season.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred
Coach HAS called out veterans in the press before. I've read the articles and agreed with him.
the difference is that he will call out A PROBLEM that the veterans are doing....cutsey passes for instance, but never actually say....Sullivan or Kariya....in fact I have never heard him say one peep about Kariya....and Yanic for that matter .....or Markov.......or Johnson.

Whereas if it a young guy.....there is no question who he is talking about because his name is pointed out.

Maybe this is just some of the respect that you are entiled to after certain number of years in the league, and a certain "code"....and if it is, so be it.....it just doesn't seem evenhanded to one observing from the outside.....

Old
03-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Pattypred

Maybe the young ones need to be called out specifically because the "closed door" meetings are just not doing the job.

In my dealings with "young ones", sometimes one must get their attention first - then they will listen.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Maybe the young ones need to be called out specifically because the "closed door" meetings are just not doing the job.
you very well may be right Patty.....I'll let you know more after our "trip"

Old
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If Trotz needs to paper to get players to play harder then maybe the NHL isn't really for him.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
you very well may be right Patty.....I'll let you know more after our "trip"
That's what I was hoping!!!!

Old
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
If Trotz needs to paper to get players to play harder then maybe the NHL isn't really for him.
Is there anything Coach Trotz does that you like?

Old
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Is there anything Coach Trotz does that you like?
Sometimes he gets this big frown on his face....it usually occurs around the 8th or 9th penalty we take in the second period!

*Kidding*

03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like the way he balances the forward lines. I like the way this team used to work hard, night in and night out. He usually does well matching lines too.

The only negatives I have on him are this stuff with the media and I'm not a big fan of our system and the lack of offensive flow.

Oh, and everytime I've talked with him, he's has seemed extemely nice, very approachable too.

Last edited by triggrman: 03-14-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
jstreet
The downward spiral

vCash: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Sometimes he gets this big frown on his face....it usually occurs around the 8th or 9th penalty we take in the second period!

*Kidding*

and about the 12th penalty those eyebrows really get hopping.

Old
03-14-2006, 03:39 PM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
...The lockerroom is where this should be handled...
We have this discussion every time Trotz calls someone out. How do we know Trotz has not brought this up in the locker room time and time again and not seen what he's looking for? Then he gets frustrated and calls them out in the press.

Criminy sakes, guys! These aren't a bunch of middle schoolers! They're well paid professional athletes and if they can't take a little criticism from their coach in the newspaper (and face it, it wasn't harsh), they better hang up their skates. If Hartnell & Suter were playing in a "hockey town" like Toronto, Montreal or that city in Michigan that will not be named, not only would the coach be calling them out in the press, but so would the sportswriters, tv personalities and sports talk shows.

People on this board rag players all the time but let the coach, whose job depends on their performance, criticize them and some think him a scoundrel!

Old
03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess it gets to me that he only calls out the young guys. Not Eaton for the repeated clearing attempt turnovers, or Kimmo for getting caught to deep and giving up shorties or Johnson for chasing the wrong guy repeatedly on the pk, or johnson for continuing his little curl once he enters the zone negating the speed of any player that is playing with him, do I really need to go on?

We've gotten as many mistakes from our "veterans" this year as we have the young guys but yet, I've not seen him call any of them out.

Old
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
I guess it gets to me that he only calls out the young guys. Not Eaton for the repeated clearing attempt turnovers, or Kimmo for getting caught to deep and giving up shorties or Johnson for chasing the wrong guy repeatedly on the pk, or johnson for continuing his little curl once he enters the zone negating the speed of any player that is playing with him, do I really need to go on?

We've gotten as many mistakes from our "veterans" this year as we have the young guys but yet, I've not seen him call any of them out.
Agreed, I don't have that much of a problem with calling out players via the media as some on here, but I do think he gives certain players free passes despite mediocre play. The best two-week stretch I've seen from Timonen all year came with a Finnish jersey on, yet he has remains above public criticism. It could be that Trotz believes you have to earn your way out of public criticism, but I fail to see why team leaders who have not pulled their weight get to slide by in the press. It's similar to Fisher's treatment of PacMan. It's a fairly obvious double standard, and while I don't think it'll have the detrimental lockerroom effects seen with the Titans, it probably won't help much of anything.

I've often heard that players play their best when they have the coach's confidence. That's something that Trotz just isn't dishing out too often this year.

Old
03-14-2006, 09:14 PM
predhead1

Seems like Trotz' public message might have sparked a fire in Hartnell

Old
03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I don't have a problem with what Trotz says. Sure I would like to see him include some of the older guys in his bashing but the incentive seems to have worked tonight.

Closed Thread