HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Radio Rumour: NYI-St. Louis

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2003, 03:52 PM
  #101
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Oh btw, how about that Tim Connoly, Darth? Remember when you raving on and on and on about how he had "the best hands you've ever seen". I do. Because you wouldnt shut up him. How is ol Timmy doing now, Darth???
Connolly still has those hands. At his best he's got the best hands on the Sabres, and better than the majority of the players in the league. His problem is that his confidence has been crushed by years of mishandling by both the Islander and Sabre organizations.

The best thing that can happen to Connolly is getting traded to a veteran, winning club in the Western Conference where he can develop. I'd like to see him go to Vancouver. The team's offensive style along with Crawford would do him wonders.

That said, I'd still prefer that he stay a Sabre and develop here. Unsure if that's possible.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 04:05 PM
  #102
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
Connolly still has those hands. At his best he's got the best hands on the Sabres, and better than the majority of the players in the league. His problem is that his confidence has been crushed by years of mishandling by both the Islander and Sabre organizations.

The best thing that can happen to Connolly is getting traded to a veteran, winning club in the Western Conference where he can develop. I'd like to see him go to Vancouver. The team's offensive style along with Crawford would do him wonders.

That said, I'd still prefer that he stay a Sabre and develop here. Unsure if that's possible.

He was badly mishandled by the Isles as was Pyatt, that much is true.

Not that I ever did say he has the best hands in the league. That was a bit of hyperbole by our friend Nick.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:06 PM
  #103
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillson2Berge2Weinie
There's no might in it we do and how dare you question God when he's been right on so many things, like Czerkawski being a bust this year(12 goals already this year), or Hunter being nothing but an AHL lifer (8 goals in 11 NHL games this year), those notions are proving to be so true so don't question God fo he knows everything and has a PHD to prove it, do you? (I hope you detected the sarcasm Nick)

*Sigh*

Have a nice weekend, Nillson. Hope things are going well down there in South Carolina.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
  #104
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
He was badly mishandled by the Isles as was Pyatt, that much is true.

Not that I ever did say he has the best hands in the league. That was a bit of hyperbole by our friend Nick.
When he's on (ie: confidence high) he has great hands. The Sabres have done a better job with Pyatt than Connolly. A trade may be the best thing for him, but I'd hate to see him develop elsewhere, as I am sure that you feel about him now.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 04:17 PM
  #105
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
When he's on (ie: confidence high) he has great hands. The Sabres have done a better job with Pyatt than Connolly. A trade may be the best thing for him, but I'd hate to see him develop elsewhere, as I am sure that you feel about him now.

Yup. I liked both players but Pyatt was one of my favorites. I loved his work ethic and hated to see him traded.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:25 PM
  #106
Nick Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
He was badly mishandled by the Isles as was Pyatt, that much is true.

Not that I ever did say he has the best hands in the league. That was a bit of hyperbole by our friend Nick.

Baloney. You said Connoly had the best hands you ever saw. THAT's the hyperbole here. Now youre doing backflips. Typical Darth.

Nick Blue is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 04:49 PM
  #107
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yup. I liked both players but Pyatt was one of my favorites. I loved his work ethic and hated to see him traded.
Buffalo has two historical shortcomings, personnel-wise:

1.) Scoring power-forward
2.) True impact No. 1 d-man

Taylor will answer the first if he continues to develop as he has been.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 05:04 PM
  #108
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
You said Connoly had the best hands you ever saw.
Who cares? Pavel Brendl has some of the best hands I've ever seen, he probably had the best hands on the team while he was on the Flyers. But, if the rest of the game and/or desire isn't there, (the case with Brendl, Connolly, and many other players) it really doesn't matter how good your hands are. Darth's comments (if he ever made them) aren't that far off, considering Connolly does have great hands.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
  #109
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
Buffalo has two historical shortcomings, personnel-wise:

1.) Scoring power-forward
2.) True impact No. 1 d-man

Taylor will answer the first if he continues to develop as he has been.


I'd add playmaking center to that list.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 05:12 PM
  #110
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I'm saying that, should Isles fans start tossing out what they think Niinimaa should fetch from the Blues or any other team (maybe later I'll dig through the archives to see if I can find such comments), he'll fetch less than at least 90% of the suggestions Isles fans toss out there.



And I say any trade involving just him will not get you back more than that. If you're talking picks for Niinimaa and nothing else, a high 3rd round pick/low 2nd round straight up.. Period. Not a first round pick, not a primo prospect.


.
1.We heard this same song and dance from hf posters last yr with Izzy,Peca and Hamrlik...the nyi better take what they can get,nyi fans aren't gonna be happy with the return.Isles have to move them

2.there is ZERO indication that the nyi are looking to move any of their top 4 d-men.Just the opposite,the press says the isles don't want to move any of the top 4.Just because opposing teams ask for one of the top 4 defensemen,doesn't mean the nyi are looking to move one.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 05:20 PM
  #111
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
Isle's fans have zero idea what Milbury will do. You don't know who has been discussed, you don't know what Milbury is thinking. Stop pretending that you do. You're just fans, nothing more. You have zero insight into your team other than what you read in the papers and on the boards. This doesn't make your opinions valid or any more or less valid than any other fans. Stop kidding yourselves.
By the way I'd rather be 'stuck' with Demitra's salary than that of Yashin's. Milbury is a joke and the Isle's will be lucky to scratch into the 8th spot in the East. They'll go nowhere from there.

Doesn't matter where the nyi finish in the east.

Wang with his tight budget, isn't ok'ing trading the youngest of his top 4 defensemen for a 3rd liner,a guy who'd be the nyi #5 defensemen or decent prospects.

Right now we're seeing the isles try to move the older,more expensive forwards so they can replace them with cheaper counterparts.


27 yr old Niinimaa gives the nyi security if they can't sign 29 yr old Hamrlik or 30 yr old Aucoin.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
  #112
Jamie-L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I'd add playmaking center to that list.
Don't forget Peaurralt, Howerchuck, Turgeon, LaFontaine......

Jamie-L is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 08:38 PM
  #113
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-L
Don't forget Peaurralt, Howerchuck, Turgeon, LaFontaine......

I'm not. Hawerchuk and LaFontaine were well established in the NHL when they came to Buffalo. Perreault was a playmaking center, as was Turgeon. But recently the Sabres haven't had much luck. At one point Curtis Brown was the next playmaking center for the club, then Tim Connolly. Now the best candidate is Jakub Klepis. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific but I was referring to more recent (ie the past decade or so) failures to develop a playmaking center.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:28 PM
  #114
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Who cares? Pavel Brendl has some of the best hands I've ever seen, he probably had the best hands on the team while he was on the Flyers. But, if the rest of the game and/or desire isn't there, (the case with Brendl, Connolly, and many other players) it really doesn't matter how good your hands are. Darth's comments (if he ever made them) aren't that far off, considering Connolly does have great hands.

The best "hands" I ever saw on a hockey player were Mike Bossy's. The second best were Tim Kerr's. But, Connolly was one of the best playmakers I ever saw as an 18-YO. His development just got screwed up by the Isles system. And, I think the same can be said for Pyatt. Buffalo has done a better job with young players than the Isles and both should have a chance up there.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:30 PM
  #115
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I'm not. Hawerchuk and LaFontaine were well established in the NHL when they came to Buffalo. Perreault was a playmaking center, as was Turgeon. But recently the Sabres haven't had much luck. At one point Curtis Brown was the next playmaking center for the club, then Tim Connolly. Now the best candidate is Jakub Klepis. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific but I was referring to more recent (ie the past decade or so) failures to develop a playmaking center.
What I was trying to say was that the Sabres have a poor history of producing or even having a scoring power forward or impact #1 d-man. I still think Connolly may turn into a #1 line playmaking center. His timeline to develop may now take a little longer... question is, does Buffalo management have the patience. I haven't seen Klepis play, only read reports, so I cannot comment.

 
Old
11-21-2003, 09:35 PM
  #116
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 35,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
What I was trying to say was that the Sabres have a poor history of producing or even having a scoring power forward or impact #1 d-man. I still think Connolly may turn into a #1 line playmaking center. His timeline to develop may now take a little longer... question is, does Buffalo management have the patience. I haven't seen Klepis play, only read reports, so I cannot comment.
Dude! you're still on the board. I've been out to dinner, saw a movie, had a drink, and wrote two pages of my paper, and you're still here.

I love it!

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-21-2003, 09:43 PM
  #117
Sabot55
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Dude! you're still on the board. I've been out to dinner, saw a movie, had a drink, and wrote two pages of my paper, and you're still here.

I love it!
Not that good. Just got back from dinner and a couple bars myself.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.