HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 2.0

View Poll Results: Would you do the trade?
Do the deal 12 24.00%
Not interested 22 44.00%
Hold out for more 16 32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Actually I think this could be a great idea. Staal and Despres are good players. To me, probably one of the best and realistic trade idea involving us I seen on here.
It's realistic if you pretend that Pittsburgh have a need or a desire for Weber and Bourque....

Old
04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This should be a good guide for Eller's next contract.

The Hurricanes signed Jiri Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2-million deal on Monday.
Tlusty, who would have been a restricted free agent, will make $1.5 million next season and $1.7 million in 2013-14. He is coming off a season in which he set career highs across the board with 17-19-36.

Though Eller may be closer to say 2 years and 2.8-2.9 mil.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
It's realistic if you pretend that Pittsburgh have a need or a desire for Weber and Bourque....
Weber and Bourque are throw-ins...throw-ins don't break trade can work around it. Trade the throw-ins elsewhere for late round picks and re-touch the deal.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Weber and Bourque are throw-ins...throw-ins don't break trade can work around it. Trade the throw-ins elsewhere for late round picks and re-touch the deal.
Bourque is a throw in now but if you are patient and let him bounce back his value would probably go up.

Weber is worth more than a throw in, he's probably worth a 2nd or very early 3rd on his own. He's already shown taht he can be a productive NHLer in the right situation and still is young and could grow into a top 4 role.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bourque is a throw in now but if you are patient and let him bounce back his value would probably go up.

Weber is worth more than a throw in, he's probably worth a 2nd or very early 3rd on his own. He's already shown taht he can be a productive NHLer in the right situation and still is young and could grow into a top 4 role.
Weber worth a 2nd or 3rd?When pigs fly or when Charles Atlas comes back from the dead to teach him to lift weights?

Old
04-25-2012, 08:20 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
How about Jordan Staal (with a new contract about 6m) for Our 1st round pick + Yannick Weber + Lars Eller and/or Louis Leblanc

Old
04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
How about Jordan Staal (with a new contract about 6m) for Our 1st round pick + Yannick Weber + Lars Eller and/or Louis Leblanc
Why would we do that?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Why would we do that?
Have you never done crazy **** whilst intoxicated, chap ?

Old
04-25-2012, 08:26 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Have you never done crazy **** whilst intoxicated, chap ?
There was this one time. Next thing I knew my username was blue.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
The Jordan Staal obsession is like a virus

Seriously don't you think either Eller or Leblanc can become just like Staal, if not better? I wouldn't even try to trade for him anymore, it just feels like it's too late.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

Seriously don't you think either Eller or Leblanc can become just like Staal, if not better? I wouldn't even try to trade for him anymore, it just feels like it's too late.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that, they'd be pretty good, even form a good line two-way line. But that offer is just too steep a price for Staal, as good as he is. If you can't get him at a reasonable cost in assets, then wait for the end of the season and see if he goes to UFA

Old
04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

Ummmmmmm..........Nope!

Staal is very underated by some as he is still very young and is his production is closing in on a point per game with very little powerplay time. Combined with the fact that he is a dominant shutdown center and he has tremendous value.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Beakermania*

30 pts in 42 games as Pittsburgh's number 1 center when Crosby and Malkin were hurt last year (playing with Neal and Kunitz and plenty of PP time).

He's not an elite number 1 centre. He proved it when he got the chance.

I'd take Staal, but not for that pick.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
30 pts in 42 games as Pittsburgh's number 1 center when Crosby and Malkin were hurt last year (playing with Neal and Kunitz and plenty of PP time).

He's not an elite number 1 centre. He proved it when he got the chance.

I'd take Staal, but not for that pick.
You make it sound like Neal and Kunitz were legitimate 1st line wingers. Neal had a career high of 55 pts and was in the midst of a terrible season and Kunitz had only hit 60 points once in his career.

Staal was only 22 and missed half the season due to injury which he never fully recovered from until this season by his own admission. He is far superior to Plekanec and would make a legitimate #1 center. He will never score 100 pts but he definitely has the potential to put up 70+ while going head to head with the biggest and most talented centers in the game.

I am not sure I would give up the package that was suggested earlier in this thread for Staal. It was a little steep and Staal needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an extended period of time. People need to realize that Staal is still very young even though it seems as though he has been around forever and he still may have plenty of untapped offensive potential.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
WestIslander

I would try to trade Bourque and Weber at the draft for a 1st round draft pick between 15th and 25th overall so that we can land Gaunce, Hertl or Wilson.

If we draft Galchenyuk 3rd overall then get a 2nd 1st round draft pick and draft Hertl or Wilson and if we draft Forsberg or Murray at 3rd overall then draft Gaunce as well.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You make it sound like Neal and Kunitz were legitimate 1st line wingers. Neal had a career high of 55 pts and was in the midst of a terrible season and Kunitz had only hit 60 points once in his career.

Staal was only 22 and missed half the season due to injury which he never fully recovered from until this season by his own admission. He is far superior to Plekanec and would make a legitimate #1 center. He will never score 100 pts but he definitely has the potential to put up 70+ while going head to head with the biggest and most talented centers in the game.

I am not sure I would give up the package that was suggested earlier in this thread for Staal. It was a little steep and Staal needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an extended period of time. People need to realize that Staal is still very young even though it seems as though he has been around forever and he still may have plenty of untapped offensive potential.
A bigger version of Plekanec is what I see.

Thats not a bad thing.

But I just think its crazy to talk about giving up the #3 overall pick, plus other assets to get that.

This is our highest pick in 30 years, I want us to swing for the fences and try to get a franchise centreman. A guy who is a threat to be a PPG or more player.

Consider also that Staal will be a UFA in 2013. Even if you re-sign him, he's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than your draft pick who will be on an ELC for 3 years and then RFA after that.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
A bigger version of Plekanec is what I see.

Thats not a bad thing.

But I just think its crazy to talk about giving up the #3 overall pick, plus other assets to get that.

This is our highest pick in 30 years, I want us to swing for the fences and try to get a franchise centreman. A guy who is a threat to be a PPG or more player.

Consider also that Staal will be a UFA in 2013. Even if you re-sign him, he's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than your draft pick who will be on an ELC for 3 years and then RFA after that.
I agree. We are better off holding onto our assets, developping them to see how things work out for the year, and if in July 2013, we get the chance and the need is still there, make a UFA offer on Staal.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

If I was trading for Staal I think a deal would revolve around our 2013 1st + Eric Cole in exchange for a signed Staal.

If we make the playoffs next year, add a conditional 2014 1st or a conditional 2nd if we don't finish top 10.

Maybe add in a secondary piece if needed.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If I was trading for Staal I think a deal would revolve around our 2013 1st + Eric Cole in exchange for a signed Staal.

If we make the playoffs next year, add a conditional 2014 1st or a conditional 2nd if we don't finish top 10.

Maybe add in a secondary piece if needed.
You want to throw in your first born as well or maybe a kidney. Wow, is that you Mike Milbury?

Old
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
You want to throw in your first born as well or maybe a kidney. Wow, is that you Mike Milbury?
if that was Milbury he would have offered to beat a 12 year old up....with his own shoe

Old
04-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I don't see why it's a bad deal. If we finish bottom 10 next year we owe our 1st and if we finish higher than that we have to add a 2nd or if we make the playoffs, another 1st, instead. If our new gm doesn't want to add the other picks he can trade away a few roster players at the trade deadline.

Cole is getting old, he won't be helping us on any cup run and we signed him for free a year ago as a UFA.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Beendair Donedat

Here's what I would do as a GM:

Step 1: trade Plekanec. His value is good, he's got a decent contract and he's not going to be a long term part of the success here. Couple options here:

To Chicago: need depth badly. Plekanec would give them the best top 6 in the NHL arguably. Would want prospect Mark McNeil (big center) and a 2013 first rounder.

Or to Anaheim for their first rounder in 2012. Could use the pick for getting one of Trouba or Ceci for a dominant blueline core.

Step two: Try to move Kaberle's albatross of a contract. Add a sweetener to the deal.

Step 3: Draft Galchenyuk with the first pick. Try to get guys like Frk, Thrower, Wilson and Sutter with your second and third round picks.

Step Four: sign Subban, Price and Pacioretty to term deals. These are our core players, build with them and around them.

Step Five: it's going to be a long year next year. Probably similar to this year. Explore possibilities of trading vets like Gionta, Cole, and Markov. Always look for picks and/or high end prospects.

Step Six: it's a long haul. Realistically we are 3-4 years away from being contenders. Draft for character and talent. Let that talent develop the right way in the AHL. Focus on developing players. Don't give away assets for patchwork. These next two drafts will define us for the next decade. We need to get it right and do well by those prospects.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

Step 1: trade Plekanec.

Or move other assets and get him a decent LW and a healthy Gio. Pleks is our best two way forward and I think he'll have a bounce back year offensively. We have him signed to a good contract. I really hope they don't move him yet.

Old
04-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

Step 1: trade Plekanec. His value is good, he's got a decent contract and he's not going to be a long term part of the success here. Couple options here:

To Chicago: need depth badly. Plekanec would give them the best top 6 in the NHL arguably. Would want prospect Mark McNeil (big center) and a 2013 first rounder.

Or to Anaheim for their first rounder in 2012. Could use the pick for getting one of Trouba or Ceci for a dominant blueline core.

Step two: Try to move Kaberle's albatross of a contract. Add a sweetener to the deal.

Step 3: Draft Galchenyuk with the first pick. Try to get guys like Frk, Thrower, Wilson and Sutter with your second and third round picks.

Step Four: sign Subban, Price and Pacioretty to term deals. These are our core players, build with them and around them.

Step Five: it's going to be a long year next year. Probably similar to this year. Explore possibilities of trading vets like Gionta, Cole, and Markov. Always look for picks and/or high end prospects.

Step Six: it's a long haul. Realistically we are 3-4 years away from being contenders. Draft for character and talent. Let that talent develop the right way in the AHL. Focus on developing players. Don't give away assets for patchwork. These next two drafts will define us for the next decade. We need to get it right and do well by those prospects.

I don't have issue with your plan. But I would at least wait for the trade deadline to see where all the other centres in the system are in their development (is DD capable of repeating, is Eller capable of stepping up offensively, is Grigs/Gally NHL ready soon????) also, where are we in the playoff picture.

If at that point everything lines up well, then I can see Plekanec being moved, and he would fetch an excellent return.

But if this year was just a poop storm of bad luck, it's not unrealistic to think that with the addition of whomever is drafted at 3rd overall along with our high 2nd, that we wouldn't be much closer to Cup contention. Without trading Plekanec

Old
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
There was this one time. Next thing I knew my username was blue.

thats some bedtime story you got there

Closed Thread