Is it Tuukka Time? - all goalie talk here

Old
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM
BruinsPortugal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Amen . Post is spot on.

Tuukka had a great rookie year, followed by a flameout. And that was two full season ago. Since he has had a terrible sophmore season, followed by a third season we he basically only had a good 7 game stretch followed by a major injury. People forgot he had the starting job two years ago, and lost it. He has proven one thing so far... He cannot beat out a healthy Tim Thomas for the gig and that's it.
He lost his job to the best goaltender in the world that won a Vezina and a Conn Smythe, how is that a knock on Rask? If anything he has been able to be on par with the best goalie in the world.

You dont want to trade Thomas? fine, trade Rask.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
He lost his job to the best goaltender in the world that won a Vezina and a Conn Smythe, how is that a knock on Rask? If anything he has been able to be on par with the best goalie in the world.

You dont want to trade Thomas? fine, trade Rask.
You don't trade either.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

I figured people finally woke up when we realized how important the goaltending position was when Tuukka went down with an injury.

Does anyone remember having an ECHL goalie backing up Thomas or having to sign Marty fricken Turco because he was the best available or have we all forgotten that? Khudobin is no safe bet or sure pick just because he had one good game with the Bruins.

IMO, you keep both until you can't, or until they can't perform well on this team. Anyone who thinks Thomas didn't perform well enough for the team to succeed this season needs to get their heads examined.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
You don't trade either.
That depends on how much Rask will be making. We'll see.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

My guess is that they move TT in the summer and roll with Rask and Khudobin.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
I figured people finally woke up when we realized how important the goaltending position was when Tuukka went down with an injury.

Does anyone remember having an ECHL goalie backing up Thomas or having to sign Marty fricken Turco because he was the best available or have we all forgotten that? Khudobin is no safe bet or sure pick just because he had one good game with the Bruins.

IMO, you keep both until you can't, or until they can't perform well on this team. Anyone who thinks Thomas didn't perform well enough for the team to succeed this season needs to get their heads examined.
Not sure that it's going to work unless the Bruins agree to pay Rask as a #1 and split the workload for the final year of Thomas's contract.

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Tuukka Rask's career thus far.

Great rookie season, followed by a flameout in the play-offs

Horrible 2nd season

Great 7 game stretch, that's it, and major injury.

Do I need to remind he was the #1 heading into last season and soundly lost it.
He didn't lose the job last year it was taken from him by Thomas, and really Julien.

He played one game as the starter. The Bruins were AWFUL, they gave up like 7 odd man rushes in that game, and played no defense at all, and Tuukka gave up 4 goals on 36 shots. He then got to play ONE time in the next 4 weeks. That is not soundly losing the job, that is the coach taking it away, and really wanting the other guy

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Personally, I would like to keep both, but this is about timing and defined roles imo.

Rask is an RFA and he signed for VERY reasonable money the last go around after he led the NHL is GAA and Save% in 45 games (2010-11). I wonder if one of the reasons he signed such a reasonable offer was because he was told that he was going to be "the man" in a couple of years?

Thomas is 38 years old and coming off a good (not great) season this year, and his NTC/NMC is no longer in place. I think he can still be a very good NHL goalie for the next 2-3 years and given his makeup, does anyone think that he will relish playing the backup in Boston? I don't see that. On the flipside, Rask has bided his time over the last two seasons, but how long can he reasonably be expected to be happy in the backup role?

Things obviously change over the course of a season due to injuries and surprise developments, but I think athletes like to have their roles defined whenever possible. That will be a problem in BOS from my vantage point regarding the goalie position as it is currently constituted.

If Thomas or Rask will agree to act as the backup for the next 1-3 years, based on who has the better camp, great, re-sign both and keep them together. I just don't see that happening, and if push comes to shove, you keep the guy that is 14 years younger and has already shown that he can be a dominant goalie at the NHL level.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
microbrien
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Send a message via AIM to microbrien
I'd rather let Thomas go 1-2 years too early, than keep him around 1-2 years too long (and upset Rask and lose him).

So, if you keep and resign him, you're looking at, sure, 1...2...maybe 3--if you're lucky--more good years with Thomas... and then?

It's cheaper and smarter to get value back for him now.

If Rask's health or play is an issue, you have Khudobin. If he doesn't work out, well--then you were going to be screwed in a couple seasons anyway, better to at least have something back for Thomas now.

I love TT. I have a puck signed by him. I pretty much wanted to have his babies after the Cup run.

But convincing yourself that Rask will be happy as a backup for another 3 seasons, that Thomas won't continue to slowly deteriorate--or maybe even suddenly deteriorate at some point, that letting Rask walk and banking on Khudobin in a couple seasons is smarter than trading Thomas for picks and talent and hedging your bets by having two young goalies...it's thinking like a fan in the worst way. At best, it's residual fear of the days when the goaltending position for the Bruins had as much turnover and disapointing play as the Red Sox's shortshtop.

Sure, maybe Thomas is a Martin Broduer and he finds away to hang around as a legit #1 regular season goalie who can turn it on when the game or the season is on the line. Chances are, he's not and only has--at most--two good seasons left followed by maybe a couple more average seasons.

Thomas is too old, too expensive, and worth too much on the trade market at the moment. I bet Chicago would love to have a Tim Thomas right now. Or maybe the Sharks. Toronto certainly would or maybe Florida or Tampa Bay. Or what if the Flyers bow out in round two and Bryz ***** the bed? There are a lot of places that could offer some nice top 6 talent in return for the opportunity to have a couple of seasons of vintage Tim Thomas.

I think it's Tuukka time.

microbrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM
blurbruin

I was having this same debate with a friend... I'm inclined to keep Thomas, he isn't.

My main question is, what could the Bruins realistically get just for Thomas in a trade? Let's say from Chicago or Detroit?

blurbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurbruin View Post
I was having this same debate with a friend... I'm inclined to keep Thomas, he isn't.

My main question is, what could the Bruins realistically get just for Thomas in a trade? Let's say from Chicago or Detroit?
What we need for Thomas is cap space.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Personally, I would like to keep both, but this is about timing and defined roles imo.

Rask is an RFA and he signed for VERY reasonable money the last go around after he led the NHL is GAA and Save% in 45 games (2010-11). I wonder if one of the reasons he signed such a reasonable offer was because he was told that he was going to be "the man" in a couple of years?

Thomas is 38 years old and coming off a good (not great) season this year, and his NTC/NMC is no longer in place. I think he can still be a very good NHL goalie for the next 2-3 years and given his makeup, does anyone think that he will relish playing the backup in Boston? I don't see that. On the flipside, Rask has bided his time over the last two seasons, but how long can he reasonably be expected to be happy in the backup role?

Things obviously change over the course of a season due to injuries and surprise developments, but I think athletes like to have their roles defined whenever possible. That will be a problem in BOS from my vantage point regarding the goalie position as it is currently constituted.

If Thomas or Rask will agree to act as the backup for the next 1-3 years, based on who has the better camp, great, re-sign both and keep them together. I just don't see that happening, and if push comes to shove, you keep the guy that is 14 years younger and has already shown that he can be a dominant goalie at the NHL level.
Well said (as usual).

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

Once again GloryDaze bringing the goods.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

I wish TT would retire a Bruin, but I also see the dilema Chia is in. Keep TT and risk losing Khudobin and maybe even Rask. TT is a legend now, came out of nowhere to become the best golie in the world. But we could use the extra cap space and the nice return he should generate. And Rask seems to be ready, his stats were impressive for a stretch this year. Khudobin looks like the real deal as well, maybe a TT redux. I'd hate to lose him.

So bottom line, the Bs should trade TT

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurbruin View Post

A 1st rounder or solid prospect?

Old
04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey74 View Post
Clearly Thomas didn't play like he did last year, a lot of soft goals and what not. Not blaming it on him, but do you think that Tuukka comes in as #1 next year?

I think that the Thomas era may be winding down.
Nobody in the history of hockey played like Thomas did last year.

Frankly, I keep both if I can.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Ratty

Luongo may also be on the market, though he has a big cap hit and long term deal. Thomas, with a 3m hit next year may be attractive to a team wanting a veteran but unwilling to pay Luongo's salary or meet Vancouver's demands.

There should be suiters for Timmy's services but I doubt a first round pick is in play.

Use the contract savings plus Savard's LTIR exemption to land Suter or Parise.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
dtam83

vCash: 50
I think if the right deal comes along, it's time to trade timmy. currently, tuukka is not a big drop off from timmy. timmy's trajectory is going down, tuukka is still young so you assume he can still improve. $4 million is a lot of money that we can use to add more pieces. timmy was the best goalie in the world last year...this year he's been a good goalie. trade him when he still has value and is under our control

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
hoss75

You trade a guy like TT when there is incentive to trade him, it's that simple. Cap space for a guy that isn't a top 10 paid goaltender isn't an issue. Rasks injuries make him still questionable so the argument that someone can step up without missing a beat is iffy at best.
The trade talk is the same broken record that's been playing for a good 5 years.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:50 AM
microbrien
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Send a message via AIM to microbrien
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
What we need for Thomas is cap space.
This.

Trading Thomas is what makes signing Parise realistic and not just a rumor that exists mostly because fans want it, not because it's possible.

I still think you can get some actual talent back for him as well. I think Detroit isn't going to give anyone up for an aging goalie, but Chicago might. Dave Bolland plus picks, maybe?

I think if they traded with Detroit, Dan Cleary is the only realistic piece they'd take back.

Half of the Sharks roster is UFA or RFA this Summer, and though they have Niemmi locked up for like 5 seasons, at similar money to Thomas, I could see them bailing on that early--though, good luck trading that contract.

Maybe the Leafs would do it for Lupul, straight up?

To the Jets for Kane would be amazing, though I doubt they'd do it.

the Isle is a potential dance parter, what with their goaltending mess...but I'm not sure they're willing to part with anyone the Bruins would value (Streit, McDonald, Tavares).

I mentioned Florida--not as likely as I thought I may be. Though, they do have Weiss and Santorelli up for contracts soon, so maybe?

the Stars could use a goalie, thought I don't know who'd they give up. Probably not Ribeiro and I'm not interested in Ryder at 3.5 mil...

Maybe to Calgary for Iginla?

hmmm...

Last edited by microbrien: 04-26-2012 at 09:56 AM.
microbrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Tuukka Rask is better than a lot of the goalies who have advanced to the second round. He's better than a lot of the goalies on teams that were just bounced.

The suggestion that the Bruins would be a lottery team without Thomas is silly.

04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Well said (as usual).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMeanie17 View Post
Once again GloryDaze bringing the goods.
GD basically said exactly what I was going to. It's not a cut and dry issue, so I disagree vehemently with those who are adamantly on one side or the other.

It's not "trade him at all costs" and it's not "this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard".

As GD outlined, there are plenty of reasons that exist that make you need to at least look into the possibility of moving him. If it makes sense for the team going forward, you do it. If it doesn't, you keep him (yes, captain obvious).

But it absolutely should, and I have to believe will be, explored, and probably pretty intensively.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Tuukka Rask is better than a lot of the goalies who have advanced to the second round. He's better than a lot of the goalies on teams that were just bounced.

The suggestion that the Bruins would be a lottery team without Thomas is silly.
Exactly. Don't want to trade TT for sentimental reasons, but I'm sure Rask will do a great job as a #1. Just like he showed when he had better stats than TT during that great stretch this year. And who knows Khudobin could be the next TT, people had the same doubts about TT when he started out here.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Exactly. Don't want to trade TT for sentimental reasons, but I'm sure Rask will do a great job as a #1. Just like he showed when he had better stats than TT during that great stretch this year. And who knows Khudobin could be the next TT, people had the same doubts about TT when he started out here.
Yep. In a world where Mike Smith is knocking out the Chicago Blackhawks and Tim Thomas can get beat (and, if we're being honest outplayed) by an AHL goalie with a .904 sv pct, then I don't think people should consider jumping off a tall building at the thought of Rask as our starter.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

people who want to trade TT (im not sure im one of them yet, still 50-50) -

what would you think of sending Thomas to Chicago for Brandon Saad?

sends Thomas out of conference and garners their best prospect who will be a top 6 powerforward, hes NHL ready too

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote