HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Post-Game: ECQF G7. Washington Capitals @ Boston Bruins. 7:30pm. TD Garden. 4.25.2012

Old
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I get what you're saying, but bringing up Wideman on the PP is kind of pointless. Wideman never, at any point in the series, deserved to supplant Green on the PP. That he did is an indictment of Hunter.

I'd go so far as to say that I don't know if they even know what they were asking of him, but that might be extreme. I think his standards may have been unreasonable though, so "doing what was asked of him" was probably never going to happen.

And again, I wouldn't say "outstanding" either. But I don't expect to ever see that under Hunter.
sorry but its not pointless when people say 52 did "everything asked of him"...clearly they asked for more....agree/disagree with the coaching move is fine.....but to say that they gave 6 top PP time and the 52 was doing everything asked of him dont add up

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Mothra is obviously right about the PP thing. They weren't happy with Green's ineffective PP play, so they replaced him with Wideman. Then they weren't happy with Wideman's ineffective play, and replaced him with Green.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
BobRouse

One thing is for certain.....the haters are gonna find someway to hate.

Our top 4 was outstanding. Every single one of them. People who dislike 52 are not going to admit it unless he blows them away statistically...even then I'm sure they will look for things he did wrong.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
sorry but its not pointless when people say 52 did "everything asked of him"...clearly they asked for more....agree/disagree with the coaching move is fine.....but to say that they gave 6 top PP time and the 52 was doing everything asked of him dont add up
Agreed, but if you're both saying he's not doing everything asked of him and saying what's being asked of him isn't right, you're kind of making a pointless point.

Doing everything asked of him shouldn't be much of a factor in him being "outstanding" if the one doing the asking is wrong. I know you weren't the one who brought up that point, but either way it seems a bit pedantic to me. And, again, no problem saying he wasn't outstanding.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I will second the "very good" statement. Mike did what was asked of him, nothing more, nothing less.

Could he produce more offensively? Sure, I think most of them can. At the same time, I will take pretty good defense, few turnovers and blocked shots over a lot of points any day of the week and twice on Sunday in the playoffs.

He doesn't need to have 5 goals and 5 assists for the team (and how they're playing) to win. I would take a goal and a few assists, but if he doesn't, and they still win, still keep the other team from lighting it up when he's on the ice, it's whatever.

Yes, offensively, he has a high ceiling. He's not being asked to do that now. He's being asked, like others, to sacrifice his own personal abilities and statistics to win. Welcome to real playoff hockey.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

In terms of the playoffs, I think I like Mike Green the shutdown defenseman more than Mike Green the offensive dynamo.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
In terms of the playoffs, I think I like Mike Green the shutdown defenseman more than Mike Green the offensive dynamo.
I think you can easily find a happy medium if you feed him PP time.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
bonzilla

Curious what Playoff Hunterhockey will look like if we are down by 2 or 3 goals. We've only seen 1st gear and Reverse so far.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

FWIW, Mike Green and Roman Hamrlik didn't surrender a single goal at even strength all series. They were on the ice for both of the Bruins powerplay goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think you can easily find a happy medium if you feed him PP time.
I'd hope so to.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

You've seen it this season. The third period comebacks when he turns the dogs loose.

You also saw a bit when they were down in this series (which wasn't often).

They have the ability to create a lot of offensive chances, but they also trade them off a bit.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Green had one goal in 7 games, pretty much on par with his regular season scoring over the two past seasons. We all know he was trending down long before Dale got here I believe by choice to get better in the dzone after the .ca snub by Yzerman.

It appears he is embracing the defensive side of game. He was perhaps even the first to cross over to the dark side.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

pretty sure i saw both green and wideman on the PP last night. Im cool with that rather have 2 d man then Ovie on the point

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
pretty sure i saw both green and wideman on the PP last night. Im cool with that rather have 2 d man then Ovie on the point
Yeah. I kinda figured it was just because Backstrom/MoJo/Semin drew the penalty and he didn't want to leave any of them out there for a long shift to start the PP, so I don't know if that's pointing towards a tactical change or if it was just situational.

That said, Ovi's probably going to end up rotating to the point relatively often if that setup holds. Which means you risk either Green or Wideman getting caught up the ice as they pinch in. Sets them up for backdoor plays though.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Why I love this board some times. Good, knowledgeable people disagreeing.

Man that has been missing some lately.

WRT Green. I thought he was a 7 on a 10 scale. Last game his best... first game his worst. He should still be able to produce. We are utlizing our Dmen inzone more than ever. He's probably made 3-4 completely boneheaded plays and none of them hurt. Made a handful of mike green only plays in transition and puck retrieval.

Can and should be better. I was proud of him not wilting as Bruins targeted him in every scrum chance. Heck Marchand reached over one Cap to grab Green's head last night.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if you can explain why wideman was the team minute leader, skating shutdown pair v krejci and lucic and 1st pk unit and why keith aucoin was on the 1st pp unit instead of nick backstrom, then i'll believe this about wideman and green's minutes. i cant explain why dale does much of what he does.

+/- gets beat up as a stat. it depends on your pov. wideman and schultz are whipping boys. that they had a team worst -4 each makes sense. green and hamrlik had a team best +5 each. +5 btw is tied for 2nd best in the league. the caps points leader was ovechkin with 5pts in 7 games. the defensive points leader was hamrlik with three assists and green with the only goal and 2pts.

in such a low scoring series where the caps were clearly playing defense first and had few power play chances, i am not sure why so much is being layed at the feet of low production. the entire team produced little except perhaps for semin and his 3 goals.
How did Krejci and Lucic do in this series again?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
tycoonheart

One thing I liked about Green in the series was him playing with an edge.

By the end of the series, he was pretty much looking to punch Marchand whenever he had the chance.

I think Marchand (and Lucic too) behaved as the series went on because people like Green weren't going to back away if they tried to pull the crap they pulled against the Canucks last season.

Props to Green for having some mean in him.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

WOOOOOOoO we WON!

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One thing is for certain.....the haters are gonna find someway to hate.

Our top 4 was outstanding. Every single one of them. People who dislike 52 are not going to admit it unless he blows them away statistically...even then I'm sure they will look for things he did wrong.
so thats how it works eh? If I dont agree that he was "outstanding" then im a hater and will always find things wrong

it couldnt be that you are throwing around "outstanding" a little too easily...couldnt possibly be that....it must be other people, not you

im either with you or against you eh?

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You really think this system is so restrictive that hr couldn't accumulate 30 pp points and add another 5 goals and 25 even strength assists? I certainly don't expect a return to a point per game, but that would have him top 3 in dman scoring.

I don't buy It for a second.
You do realize that Green's even strength production during the run and gun heyday was 34 and 40 points right? And his PP production during those 25% days were 35 and 38?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Idealistically I figured if there was one day where there would be no bickering about something and that day would be today.

04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You do realize that Green's even strength production during the run and gun heyday was 34 and 40 points right? And his PP production during those 25% days were 35 and 38?
34 and 40 even strength points in 68 and 75 games. So I'm asking him to score 30% fewer points than those two years.

And what is stopping the same five players from operating a 25% effective power play?

You think that's unreasonable?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I figured it out. We put wideman out there as a decoy of sorts. He is so turnover prone, the Bees abandoned what they wanted to do, and probably game planned on him. Problem is, that he is so inconsistent in being inconsistent, he proved to be too much for them, and they were obviously unable to capitalize last night.

Joking aside, we got a few breaks last night. Commercial break, icing call, penalty, long change period aided by some close but not quite icing calls - helped the Local 566. Dale did not hang that bottom pairing out, and changed when he could.

Its time to get Orlov in, maybe game 2 if we win. Sarge had a few goofs to open the door a bit. Wides is still the poster child for puck movers. While I have long said Wides was kept to add PMD depth, without injuries his presence can be more a detriment. But man does he sure give teams fits. Which team I have no idea.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
34 and 40 even strength points in 68 and 75 games. So I'm asking him to score 30% fewer points than those two years.

And what is stopping the same five players from operating a 25% effective power play?

You think that's unreasonable?
It might be unsustainable even if the players don't decline, actually. That bump in effectiveness that coincided with the faceoff rule change seems like it's worked itself out now. The league is starting to trend downward in PP opportunities as well although not dramatically so, I think.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

For all the people who think Semin played great defending 8s ice time, where do you suppose 28 came in?

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Green was below-average this series. Watching guys by the crease, and - most notably - gun-shy along the boards. He was bracing for hits when no-one was anywhere near him, and making panic throws back along the boards. He's playing worried. Scheme or no, that's the problem.

I like the player he used to be. The player he is now doesn't get near the price-tag. I move on from him. (And Wideman, too, for that matter.)

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote