HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Greiss is Always Greener" (Off-Season Speculation Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Boredom. Incurable boredom. What am I supposed to do with my life without hockey, huh?
Get a job.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Stickmata

Marleau for Ovechkin, straight up.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
GCB2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
If he still has value, I deal him immediately. If he rebounds like some people think, he's un-signable in San Jose anyway. If he doesn't rebound, we've had a crappy Ryane Clowe on the roster for two years.
Totally agree with the point above. Combine moving clowe with Boyle and you have created more than 10M in cap space. I am all for taking a run at Suter. A Suter/Burns and Vlasic/Braun is good top4.

I also agree with the other statements about creating a 3rd scoring line. Winnik and Pavs should be 2 of the 3 pieces. I think Moore is probably too small for the role

Marleau-Thornton-XXXX
XXXX-Couture-Havlet
Winnik-Pavs-XXXX

Old
04-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Broomout

I see Luongo submitted a list of teams he's willing to go to...hope were not on it. Only way I'd want him is if his deal was restructured to lower his cap hit. Not even sure if you can do that in the NHL?

Old
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394308

Cullen looks at pending UFAs available this summer.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post

Old
04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
would be awesome, but DW would have to give ALOT more then just marleau.

Last edited by sjshrky27: 04-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
murdock1116

As much as I like to bash Clowe and Marleau for their off years, I don't think we want too much turnaround. That's how teams start to lose their identity. We're stuck with our core for another two years.

And sadly, I don't think any top free agent is going to sign with the Sharks (when has one ever?)

Best thing we can do is upgrade over Murray and Handzus, and hope that all our young guys take the next step without our veterans regressing too much.

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Winnik - Desjardins - Wingels
Galiardi - Sheppard - ????

Maybe pickup a Pyatt, Fedotenko, Samuelsson, Hejduk (i know he's not that good anymore, I just think he's awesome)

Burns - Vlasic
Boyle - ???
Demers - Braun

Hopefully we can get a Stuart or Gleason

Niemi
Griess

Old
04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post
Not even sure if you can do that in the NHL?
Nope. With his deal I have zero desirability to have him on the team. If we could somehow deal Niemi+ for Schneider on the other hand...

Old
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Broomout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
Nope. With his deal I have zero desirability to have him on the team. If we could somehow deal Niemi+ for Schneider on the other hand...
Oh well then in that case I'd stay away I think his cap hit is 5.3m. No thanks.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
would be awesome, but DW would have to give ALOT more then just marleau.
Not if Washington continues to move on in the playoffs with Ovi being a non-factor. I think they're learning that they're a better team without Ovi playing the superstar role. And you don't pay $9 mil to a guy that's sitting on the bench in the third period. Considering the Sharks would be taking a huge contract off their hands, taking a risk on a guy possibly being on the decline/breaking down, and that they would giving them back a player that would probably fit in great in their system, I don't think it's as far fetched as it sounds. Change of scenery for both might be a win-win trade if there ever was one.

Also, if they've had any thoughts of moving Ovi, and I have to believe they have at some point over the last year, it also allows them to do it in a way that saves them some face with local fans, by getting a quality player/scorer back. And if frees up cap space for them. And he goes to a different conference, so they don't have to face him much.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
As much as I like to bash Clowe and Marleau for their off years, I don't think we want too much turnaround. That's how teams start to lose their identity. We're stuck with our core for another two years.
The Sharks "identity" is exactily what needs to be changed. And trading Marleau and/or Clowe isnt a bad thing. Its actually the best thing to do for both partys involved (Sharks/Marleau).

And losing Marleau/Clowe isnt blowing the team up when you have Boyle,JT,Pavs,Murray,Vlassic etc. Theres alot of "core" still there...

Old
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Not if Washington continues to move on in the playoffs with Ovi being a non-factor. I think they're learning that they're a better team without Ovi playing the superstar role. And you don't pay $9 mil to a guy that's sitting on the bench in the third period. Considering the Sharks would be taking a huge contract off their hands, taking a risk on a guy possibly being on the decline/breaking down, and that they would giving them back a player that would probably fit in great in their system, I don't think it's as far fetched as it sounds. Change of scenery for both might be a win-win trade if there ever was one.

Also, if they've had any thoughts of moving Ovi, and I have to believe they have at some point over the last year, it also allows them to do it in a way that saves them some face with local fans, by getting a quality player/scorer back. And if frees up cap space for them. And he goes to a different conference, so they don't have to face him much.
From a business perspective though, it isn't feasible.

It would have to be something they could at least argue was a win for them. Marleau, Niemi, Doherty and a 1st for Ovechkin or something. Also, Ovechkin would have to ask out, and would have to want to come to SJ (possible, he grew up a Sharks fan).

Old
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

It would have to be something they could at least argue was a win for them. Marleau, Niemi, Doherty and a 1st for Ovechkin or something. Also, Ovechkin would have to ask out, and would have to want to come to SJ (possible, he grew up a Sharks fan).
I don't think there is any way Washington would get anything near that from any team if Ovi was on the open market. As good as he is, there is a lot of risk associated with the guy and a huge contract. My feeling is, if, and I know it's a big if, if the Caps keep winning games/playoff series' without much contribution from Ovi AND if they have toyed with the idea behind closed doors during the troubled times over the past 12 months, the stars could align and a window might open that makes such a trade palatable to them. Could they get more than just a Marleau type player? Yeah, probably, but I don't think much more than that.

There have been a lot of examples of teams getting better through the addition-by-subtraction process (e.g., Philly) and I think GMs are starting to realize that their star players are not the end all be all path to a Cup in the new NHL.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

Why would he have to ask out? He's still restricted until July and unless there is a mistake (certainly plausible), he doesn't have an NTC until 2014.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Why would he have to ask out? He's still restricted until July and unless there is a mistake (certainly plausible), he doesn't have an NTC until 2014.
With the money he brings in I doubt they would consider moving him unless he expressed a desire to be elsewhere, but you are correct, it would rule the 'wanting to come here' part out. At the same time though, that would make the price higher, since any team could be bidding for his services.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Ovechkin is still the man in Washington. Boston had Chara, Sedeinberg and Bergeron on him the whole series. He's horrible defensively though.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
I don't think there is any way Washington would get anything near that from any team if Ovi was on the open market. As good as he is, there is a lot of risk associated with the guy and a huge contract. My feeling is, if, and I know it's a big if, if the Caps keep winning games/playoff series' without much contribution from Ovi AND if they have toyed with the idea behind closed doors during the troubled times over the past 12 months, the stars could align and a window might open that makes such a trade palatable to them. Could they get more than just a Marleau type player? Yeah, probably, but I don't think much more than that.

There have been a lot of examples of teams getting better through the addition-by-subtraction process (e.g., Philly) and I think GMs are starting to realize that their star players are not the end all be all path to a Cup in the new NHL.
A ton of team would love Ovechkin. Just from the business side of things Ovechkin/Crosby are like magic money machines. They just keep making their owners even wealthier.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
A ton of team would love Ovechkin. Just from the business side of things Ovechkin/Crosby are like magic money machines. They just keep making their owners even wealthier.
2-3 years ago I would have agreed with you, but right now, I'm not so sure Ovechkin is there anymore. He's at an inflection point IMO and I think the love affair with him is on the wane. Again, I'm only saying my thoughts are plausible if things continue to progress as they have recently, i.e., his production stays down and the team performs better without him playing in key situations, including progressing at least to the ECF this year. If he all the sudden starts tearing it up and leads the team to the Cup, all bets are off. But if he really doesn't fit into a winning Caps team, ya never know...

Old
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Ovechkin is still the man in Washington. Boston had Chara, Sedeinberg and Bergeron on him the whole series. He's horrible defensively though.
Agree. As much as I would enjoy Ovechkin as a Shark, it wont happen. Yea, he has had a bum year for the most part, now everyone thinks will be traded.

Marleau has sucked balls for the most part the last 2/3 years --and hes still here!

Old
04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Marleau has sucked balls for the most part the last 2/3 years --and hes still here!
Please give it a rest. We are hearing about it in every thread.

2 years ago, Marleau surpassed everyone on the team with his GVT (that means he was better than JT that year). He was still very good last year. This season not so much. This is not a personality test for players. It says a lot when he puts in more goals than the designated goal scorer (Heatley). His public phlegmatic personality puts some fans off, the team has stuck by him despite all the perceived public negatives over the years.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Franchise13

From a purely entertainment standpoint, I'd love to watch Ovy in a Sharks uni. Big, fast, hits and scores flashy goals all with style and flair the NHL generally frowns upon. Count me in.

Let's get Pat Kane and Carey Price or Holtby too!

Old
04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

How much will Semin be after a down year offensively?

Old
04-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
How much will Semin be after a down year offensively?
my guess is no less than he makes now - 6 mil.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I could see a 3-way deal that sends Marleau to an unspecified team, a combination of young players/prospects and picks to Columbus, and Nash to the Sharks.

Closed Thread