HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick Officially Named as a Vezina Finalist

Old
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
You were the one in the game day thread in Game 5 that said the series was going to 7 games so I'll take your prediction!

Winner! Winner! Jonathan Quick is cooking prime rib for dinner!
When did I say that? The closest I came to saying anything like that was this, "So, worst case scenario? Kings come home with a 3-2 lead for game six in Tuesday. Sutter said you have to win at home to win anything important. Kings can prove it on Tuesday. "

How is that saying the series was going 7 games?

I also said that the Kings wouldn't win until Doughty gets his offense back. Doughty then skates through the entire Vancuver team and sets up Richardson for the tying goal.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
Now don`t be greedy Kings` fans, leave the guy something new to win the next season Theodore won Hart+Vezina in 2001 (or thereabouts) It was/is an exceptional season for Quick, he probably would have managed to make Columbus a playoff team. Nobody can complain if he wins the Vezina and I always thought he deserves Hart over Malkin.
A couple guys have won the Hart and Vezina as winning the former gets you the latter. Also I think Roy won Vezina and Conn Smythe. But because of guys like Gretzky and Lemieux, nearly all of the Harts were won by forwards in the 80s/90s. And the Conn Smythe hasnt been around that long.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Great to know it's official, really hoping for a win for Quick. Deserves it

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
When did I say that? The closest I came to saying anything like that was this, "So, worst case scenario? Kings come home with a 3-2 lead for game six in Tuesday. Sutter said you have to win at home to win anything important. Kings can prove it on Tuesday. "

How is that saying the series was going 7 games?

I also said that the Kings wouldn't win until Doughty gets his offense back. Doughty then skates through the entire Vancuver team and sets up Richardson for the tying goal.
Well, I apologize if I was being presumptive but I read this in the thread and I read it while the second period was going on and you along with everyone else were being negative. I assumed you were implying that round 1 was going seven games given the tone of most of your other posts in that thread up until that point. Are you saying you meant something else? I took it as you were saying the series was going seven games.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=391

Quote:
At least the Kings will play more than six playoff games this year.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I was joking that the kings were guaranteed to play at least 7 games because they were up 3-1 and were either going to play 7 games in round one or at least four more games in round two.

Kings were limited to six games the last two season. Getting to 7 was an "improvement".

Old
04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I was joking that the kings were guaranteed to play at least 7 games because they were up 3-1 and were either going to play 7 games in round one or at least four more games in round two.

Kings were limited to six games the last two season. Getting to 7 was an "improvement".
Ok.. well I apologize again for being presumptive. I assumed you meant the Kings were going to lose that game and the next.

Now I hope you are wrong about Quick!

Old
04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
SDGolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
For those who think Quick will resign in the $5-$6 million range, the Vezina nominees don't look like it will support that idea. Rinne has a cap hit of $7 million per while Lundqvist is at $6.875 million. If those two are used as comparible's, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, then Quick has a very strong case to push for $7 mill-plus.

If he gets a Hart nomination, a COnn SMythe, etc. it'll only further his argument.

It's soon going to come time for fans to decide if they want to pay that much for a goalie or let him go elsewhere I think. Even my earlier prediction of $6.3 - $6.5 million per could go out the window.
What have Lundqvist and Rinne won?
I'll compare actual Stanley Cup winning goalies.
Thomas, Fluery are making 5 million each (I won't mention Niemi who's making less)
It's not gonna be DL's fault the rangers and Preds over paid for their goalies.

SDGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Ok.. well I apologize again for being presumptive. I assumed you meant the Kings were going to lose that game and the next.

Now I hope you are wrong about Quick!
No worries. We are all kings fans here.

I hope I'm wrong about Quick too. Nice that he was recognized for his play by finishing in the top three.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't care of Quick wins the Vezina as long as he wins the Conn Smythe.
Exactly. Screw the Vezina Quickie, you want the one with the big Maple Leaf.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGolfer View Post
What have Lundqvist and Rinne won?
I'll compare actual Stanley Cup winning goalies.
Thomas, Fluery are making 5 million each (I won't mention Niemi who's making less)
It's not gonna be DL's fault the rangers and Preds over paid for their goalies.
You can compare whatever you want. Quick's agent will compare similar goalies to determine a salary request. Hard to find a better set of current comparibles than the two players that Quick is in the running for the Vezina with. Not to mention Rinne and Quick's career stats are nearly identical.

Flery and Thomas both signed their deals a few years back as well, so it's reasonable to argue they would have been higher right now.

Neimi, well we both know DL would be laughed at if he was used as a comparible.

Like I said in my earlier post, Kings fans are going to need to decide if they want to pay $6.5 mill -$7.5 mill annually for a goalie. You can use whatever you want to compare goalies, but if Quick isn't getting offered something in that range, he'll be in a different jersey for the 2013-2014 season.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:18 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Johnny is one hell of a goatlender.

Gotta love HF.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:06 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
For those who think Quick will resign in the $5-$6 million range, the Vezina nominees don't look like it will support that idea. Rinne has a cap hit of $7 million per while Lundqvist is at $6.875 million. If those two are used as comparible's, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, then Quick has a very strong case to push for $7 mill-plus.

If he gets a Hart nomination, a COnn SMythe, etc. it'll only further his argument.

It's soon going to come time for fans to decide if they want to pay that much for a goalie or let him go elsewhere I think. Even my earlier prediction of $6.3 - $6.5 million per could go out the window.

So we haven't had a goalie anywhere close to as good as Quick in 41 years and have gone though seasons with guys names Storr, Knickle, Stauber, Gosslin, Lessard, Cloutier, Chechmanic, Janecyk, Melanson, Berthiaume, DaFoe, Fiset, Huet, Garon, Fitzpatrick, Fukufuji, Brust, Ersberg, Labarbara, and over the hill Burke and Fuhr, and COUNTLESS others in only the past 25 years. Now that we may possibly have the best goaltender in the ENTIRE NHL you want to just let him sign elsewhere and start the 40 year search again? Are you crazy??? You know how many goalies the New Jersey Devils have had as their starter the past 18 years? ONE. And they have 3 Stanley Cups in that time. Maybe it's time we try that approach?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
So we haven't had a goalie anywhere close to as good as Quick in 41 years and have gone though seasons with guys names Storr, Knickle, Stauber, Gosslin, Lessard, Cloutier, Chechmanic, Janecyk, Melanson, Berthiaume, DaFoe, Fiset, Huet, Garon, Fitzpatrick, Fukufuji, Brust, Ersberg, Labarbara, and over the hill Burke and Fuhr, and COUNTLESS others in only the past 25 years. Now that we may possibly have the best goaltender in the ENTIRE NHL you want to just let him sign elsewhere and start the 40 year search again? Are you crazy??? You know how many goalies the New Jersey Devils have had as their starter the past 18 years? ONE. And they have 3 Stanley Cups in that time. Maybe it's time we try that approach?
Where did I say I didn't want to resign him?

If you read over my posts this year, you'll find many cases where I have said he should be resigned, no matter what. Nowhere have I once said we should walk away from Quick, especially not in the post you quoted.

All I'm saying is that for those fans who think Quick will resign for a homtown discount in the $5 million - $6 million range annually, they are very likely to be in for a shock when they see what Quick gets, especially if he goes on to win the Vezina (and possibly other hardware such as a Hart, Conn Smythe, etc.)

I'm not suggesting Quick be let go. I'm on side with him being resigned no matter the cost. **** dude, I'm likely the leader of the pack for that side of the argument.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-26-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: disparaging remarks removed
Old
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Vamos Rafa
Ban ADT

Did he say "Vegas Baby!" when he heard about this?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Where did I say I didn't want to resign him?

If you read over my posts this year, you'll find many cases where I have said he should be resigned, no matter what. Nowhere have I once said we should walk away from Quick, especially not in the post you quoted.

All I'm saying is that for those fans who think Quick will resign for a homtown discount in the $5 million - $6 million range annually, they are very likely to be in for a shock when they see what Quick gets, especially if he goes on to win the Vezina (and possibly other hardware such as a Hart, Conn Smythe, etc.)

I'm not suggesting Quick be let go. I'm on side with him being resigned no matter the cost. **** dude, I'm likely the leader of the pack for that side of the argument.
Fair enough, but the whole tone of the post I quoted sounded to me like you thought we may just want to let him go sign elsewhere instead of resigning him to Lundqvist or Rinne type numbers. Guess I misread it.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Old
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Fair enough, but the whole tone of the post I quoted sounded to me like you thought we may just want to let him go sign elsewhere instead of resigning him to Lundqvist or Rinne type numbers. Guess I misread it.
I was more implying that there are a lot (I'd wager half) of the posters here who before the playoffs started wouldn't give any goalie a contract for more than $5 million or so.

Now, those fans are very likely going to have to decided if they want to live with a contract like that or live with Quick.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
I was more implying that there are a lot (I'd wager half) of the posters here who before the playoffs started wouldn't give any goalie a contract for more than $5 million or so.

Now, those fans are very likely going to have to decided if they want to live with a contract like that or live with Quick.
For me it's not the money, it's the term. I have no problem with a 3-4 year deal for $7+ million if that is what Quick wants, I'm fearful of the 8+ year contracts for $7+ million. You can only have one #1 goalie and locking one up for 8+ years really limits you.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
For me it's not the money, it's the term. I have no problem with a 3-4 year deal for $7+ million if that is what Quick wants, I'm fearful of the 8+ year contracts for $7+ million. You can only have one #1 goalie and locking one up for 8+ years really limits you.
If we use Lundqvist and Rinne as comparibles again, then you'd be seeing a six or seven year deal. Rinne's deal is seven years while Lundqvist signed a six year deal in 2008 (or 2007, not exactly sure).

DL doesn't seem to be shy of the long-term deals (Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson traded for Carter and Richards). I assume he's in favor of Quick getting that long-term deal, but we won't know for sure until the discussions begin. If Quick and DL want a long-term deal, not sure how DL can get him to go much below Lundqvist, especially if Quick wins the Vezina.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:06 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
If we use Lundqvist and Rinne as comparibles again, then you'd be seeing a six or seven year deal. Rinne's deal is seven years while Lundqvist signed a six year deal in 2008 (or 2007, not exactly sure).

DL doesn't seem to be shy of the long-term deals (Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson traded for Carter and Richards). I assume he's in favor of Quick getting that long-term deal, but we won't know for sure until the discussions begin. If Quick and DL want a long-term deal, not sure how DL can get him to go much below Lundqvist, especially if Quick wins the Vezina.
No idea why everyone is so afraid of paying Quick. Rinnie and Hank look just fine after big deals. Neither of those guys cap hit, has stopped their teams from adding.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:59 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Not sure I want any goaltender signed for more than 5 years. For every Rinne and Lundqvist there is, and the Rinne contract could be a big mistake, there are easily an equal amount that it didn't work out for.

Di Pietro, Luongo, Miller, probably Bryzgalov,...

You get the idea.

I have no idea what Quick is looking for, but after ONE Vezina calibre season I hope the Kings don't throw 7 or 8 years and $50M - $60M at him. That is not good cap management.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quick should win the Vezina because I'm a Kings fan.