HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson "I've turned the page"

Old
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
I've heard much classier players give the old, "I wish my ex-teammates success in hockey as long as it's not against me," rather than Jack's version of "To be honest with you, I could care less if they win or lose." But I guess Jack's just brutally honest. And prefers to drink this in soup grape flavor.

I have no problem with his comments but I'll tell you this:

IF he didn't make any friends close enough to root for in the last 4 years it's a pretty good indication of what kind of person he is. I've never met the guy and it's pure speculation but wouldn't you think he has at least 3 or 4 REALLY close friends on the team?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
IF he didn't make any friends close enough to root for in the last 4 years it's a pretty good indication of what kind of person he is. I've never met the guy and it's pure speculation but wouldn't you think he has at least 3 or 4 REALLY close friends on the team?
He said that he does in the article.

Quote:
"To be honest with you, I could care less if they win or lose. Some guys on that team I played with, I'll always consider friends. But whether they win or not, it means nothing to me."
The guy is obviously bummed out and has a lot of pride so I doubt he wants to admit he was hurt by the situation. He is going into a weird situation playing for the worst team in the league after he signed a long term deal to commit to the Kings (Kings tattoo) and the worst team in the league just happen to be in the same city in his college team's arch rival. I mean really, what is the guy supposed to say? "I'm bummed out about the trade and now I'm in Columbus but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and play here.. I really don't have a choice". How do you guys think Columbus fans would react if he said that?

I don't really care that Lombardi traded him because all I want is the Kings to do well and Jack clearly struggled in LA for the most part. His game was a rollercoaster ride. But it is kinda ****** that Jack got the Kings tattoo and DL trades him the first year into his deal. And that is exactly how I felt about the Visnovsky deal as well. But I'm not going to feel bad for a guy making $4m a year to play a game. It just is a bit shady or hypocritical on DL's part to make that move.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 04-26-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
He said that he does in the article.
Yeah but come on buddy ... it's MUCH more fun to make up ******** about someone and post it like it's fact on the internet so you can somehow feel better about yourself ... well maybe you don't, haven't seen you do it much but you know OTHERS I mean

You know like how Jack wanted $50 billion dollars a year or he and his dad were off to Russia ... and how ... oh why bother the same immature idiots will keep posting this stuff on here, because of course THEY have or show NO HATE, yeah no NOT THEM.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Yeah but come on buddy ... it's MUCH more fun to make up ******** about someone and post it like it's fact on the internet so you can somehow feel better about yourself ... well maybe you don't, haven't seen you do it much but you know OTHERS I mean

You know like how Jack wanted $50 billion dollars a year or he and his dad were off to Russia ... and how ... oh why bother the same immature idiots will keep posting this stuff on here, because of course THEY have or show NO HATE, yeah no NOT THEM.
Hey Puck, hope you're not looking in my direction. (I don't think you are)

I just think it's weird that he doesn't wish success for some of his old friends. I know he's on a different team now but the Jackets season is over and why the hell would you not root your friends on?

I'm not crucifying the guy, but I have heard players in the past say much nicer things after they've been traded. If I was a good buddy of his, I probably wouldn't care but I'd find it a little weird.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Hey Puck, hope you're not looking in my direction. (I don't think you are)

I just think it's weird that he doesn't wish success for some of his old friends. I know he's on a different team now but the Jackets season is over and why the hell would you not root your friends on?

I'm not crucifying the guy, but I have heard players in the past say much nicer things after they've been traded. If I was a good buddy of his, I probably wouldn't care but I'd find it a little weird.
He is probably bummed out and wishes he was playing with them.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:16 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
He is probably bummed out and wishes he was playing with them.
You don't think he's just focusing on being "the man" in Columbus?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it's just all about Jack. It was so weird that he was unable to elevate his game with Doughty in the lineup then as soon as Drew was out it was like a whole new JMFJ.

I don't hate the guy, but the more I think about it I just get a weird vibe from him all around.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
You don't think he's just focusing on being "the man" in Columbus?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it's just all about Jack. It was so weird that he was unable to elevate his game with Doughty in the lineup then as soon as Drew was out it was like a whole new JMFJ.

I don't hate the guy, but the more I think about it I just get a weird vibe from him all around.
The same thing happens with Malkin when Crosby is out. It's just one of those things...

Old
04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Jack Johnson is a great talent. He probably just wishes that Red Barenson had coached him better.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I think Jack will thrive in CBJ and that's a good thing that reflects well on the Kings.

In my view when players (Purcell, Moulson, Boyle, Steckel) move on and succeed, it indicates the strength of our system and our depth.
That's one way you can spin that. It also speaks to asset mismanagement. As for Johnson, it is very clear that things were never going to work out for him in L.A. with Doughty as the top-dog. Johnson needs to be "the man" and will fill that role with the Jackets.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Jack Johnson is a great talent. He probably just wishes that Red Barenson had coached him better.
Oh man!

Well played!

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

I mean really, what is the guy supposed to say? "I'm bummed out about the trade and now I'm in Columbus but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and play here.. I really don't have a choice". How do you guys think Columbus fans would react if he said that?

I don't really care that Lombardi traded him because all I want is the Kings to do well and Jack clearly struggled in LA for the most part. His game was a rollercoaster ride. But it is kinda ****** that Jack got the Kings tattoo and DL trades him the first year into his deal. And that is exactly how I felt about the Visnovsky deal as well. But I'm not going to feel bad for a guy making $4m a year to play a game. It just is a bit shady or hypocritical on DL's part to make that move.
I think what he should have said is "I'm happy for my friends on that team. I know how much it means to them to succeed in the playoffs and how long they've worked towards that goal and hopefully soon we will have the same success here in Columbus." Something along those lines is the PC way to be happy for your former teammates.

I do agree with you on the DL part as well. While I don't feel to terribly bad for the exact reason you said (well paid to play a game), I do think it sucks that Vis and JMFJ got dealt so early in after committing long-term on a deal to stay with the organization, especially since both were players who were career long LA Kings players.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
OK Computer

I could not possibly care any less about Jack Johnson than I do right now. Who gives a damn about him at this point? The organization > one random player, and right now the organization has made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
You really believe DL signed JJ to that deal thinking that he's gonna trade him the first chance he gets? Come on now.

There's nothing shady or hypocritical about it. It's being about being a GM and improving the team. If DL Stops trying to do that, he oughto be fired. Will that stop any other player from signing long-term "hometown discount-tattoo- my-ass" deals with the Kings? Hell ****ing no.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think what he should have said is "I'm happy for my friends on that team. I know how much it means to them to succeed in the playoffs and how long they've worked towards that goal and hopefully soon we will have the same success here in Columbus." Something along those lines is the PC way to be happy for your former teammates.

I do agree with you on the DL part as well. While I don't feel to terribly bad for the exact reason you said (well paid to play a game), I do think it sucks that Vis and JMFJ got dealt so early in after committing long-term on a deal to stay with the organization, especially since both were players who were career long LA Kings players.
Why does he have to be "PC" in any of his responses? WTF does that even mean?

Old
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
I could not possibly care any less about Jack Johnson than I do right now. Who gives a damn about him at this point? The organization > one random player, and right now the organization has made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Finally, somebody who gets it.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
Why does he have to be "PC" in any of his responses? WTF does that even mean?
He doesn't, I was simply replying to another poster who suggested Johnson had not other way to put what he said.

And PC means politically correct. Yes, it's not politics, but PC has become an all-encompassing reference for saying things in a sensitive nature.

I'm not baling out Johnson for his comments (though I have said I didn't really care for it), just replying to Buddy's post.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Replace the word with: defense.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
You really believe DL signed JJ to that deal thinking that he's gonna trade him the first chance he gets? Come on now.

There's nothing shady or hypocritical about it. It's being about being a GM and improving the team. If DL Stops trying to do that, he oughto be fired. Will that stop any other player from signing long-term "hometown discount-tattoo- my-ass" deals with the Kings? Hell ****ing no.
No I don't think DL signed Jack to the contract and then intended to sign him but when you speak about creating a culture and getting players to "buy in" by getting the "tattoo" and on more than one occasion, you trade them after they commit, that is a bit hypocritical. I guess the loyalty thing is a one way street with DL. He should just not make the comments about the Kings tattoo etc. Just call it what it is, business and quit making analogies to organziations the Kings are not (Yankees, Red Wings etal).

Will it have an effect on future deals? Who knows? If the Kings can become a perennial contender, I would say no. Winning cures all. if the Kings continued a path of mediocrity, i'd say yeah, there is a chance that would impact other players. It also might get other players to demand a NTC with the long term deal.

Of course DL should do what he can to make the team better (I even said that in my post) but he should shut his trap about loyalty and commitments when he doesn't plan to reciprocate. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
He doesn't, I was simply replying to another poster who suggested Johnson had not other way to put what he said.
My point is he appears to be bitter and appears to be trying to contain the resentment. Anyone who wants to be critical of Jack and his comments should do the same to Richards and Carter who just went through the same exact thing and had similar reactions.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
No I don't think DL signed Jack to the contract and then intended to sign him but when you speak about creating a culture and getting players to "buy in" by getting the "tattoo" and on more than one occasion, you trade them after they commit, that is a bit hypocritical. I guess the loyalty thing is a one way street with DL.
Outside of Visnovsky I can't think of another player that signed a contract like Jack's. And in Lubo's case he aquired two players in Greene and Stoll, who have played for the Kings since the trade. Lubo meanwhile has been traded again since he left the Kings so I guess there is no loyalty anywhere... I mean it's a business and you have to weigh the value of a player versus the value of a contract. The Kings are a better team with Greene and Stoll than they would be with Visnovsky, and the Kings are a better team with Voinov and Carter, than they are with JJ... Who really cares what was said leading up to the trades? If Shero comes to DL and offers up Malkin for Brown straight up you take it and run 10 times out of 10 if you're the Kings. Not really that difficult.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
No I don't think DL signed Jack to the contract and then intended to sign him but when you speak about creating a culture and getting players to "buy in" by getting the "tattoo" and on more than one occasion, you trade them after they commit, that is a bit hypocritical. I guess the loyalty thing is a one way street with DL.
Lubo and JMFJ are the two guys who got screwed somewhat, I agree. But there are more examples of guys signing long-term in LA and staying than there are of those who left. And it can be argued in JMFJ case that the teams poor play had as much to do with that deal as anything. IF LA is sitting in the divisional lead or at least well into a playoff spot, that deal might not happen. It hasn't been a one-way street for guys like Doughty, Kopitar, Greene, Scuderi and Brown so far and you'll likely be able to add Quick to that list.

Old
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Outside of Visnovsky I can't think of another player that signed a contract like Jack's. And in Lubo's case he aquired two players in Greene and Stoll, who have played for the Kings since the trade. Lubo meanwhile has been traded again since he left the Kings so I guess there is no loyalty anywhere... I mean it's a business and you have to weigh the value of a player versus the value of a contract. The Kings are a better team with Greene and Stoll than they would be with Visnovsky, and the Kings are a better team with Voinov and Carter, than they are with JJ... Who really cares what was said leading up to the trades? If Shero comes to DL and offers up Malkin for Brown straight up you take it and run 10 times out of 10 if you're the Kings. Not really that difficult.
Apparently it is because I've repeated my self three times now. The Oilers GM didn't sign Lubo to that contract and he didn't preach to the fans and players about loyalty and tattoos prior to signing it. DL did. DL shipped out two of those guys that got the tattoo within a year of them signing those contracts. Practice what you preach. That is all I'm saying. I have no problem with what DL did if he just didn't babble about Detroit, the Yankees and loyalty. For the last time, I don't think DL is wrong for trading those players. I think he is wrong for contraditing his own word.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
misterjaggers

How has Jeff Carter worked out for you guys? Are you pleased with him?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Jeff is what he is, So far no points in the playoff's but he makes teams respect him. That makes the Kings have two legit scoring lines.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Jeff is what he is, So far no points in the playoff's but he makes teams respect him. That makes the Kings have two legit scoring lines.
No goals, but two assists. One on the game winning goal in game one.

He's been used in the shutdown line.

The kings pp has been terrible for two years and I was hoping carter would help that, but he hasn't clicked with Kopitar. Would like to see brown on the first unit and carter on the second.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
hawkeyexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Doesnt help hes still nursing his foot injury. Hopefully this break will get him to 100%

hawkeyexp is offline   Reply With Quote