HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Which available goalie do you think is the best viable option for the Bolts?

Old
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

vCash: 500
Which available goalie do you think is the best viable option for the Bolts?

With pretty much every goalie who is RFA, UFA, Trading Block all rumoured to be tied to Tampa, who do you think is the best viable option? Take into consideration cap and contract for UFA's, and what needs to be traded for RFA and Trading Block options. List them below.

Me personally the most viable option would be Harding or Vokoun.

Harding UFA offered 2 years/2.8-3.25 million a year. If he doesn't work out we aren't tied to him too long, and he gets a shot to prove #1. With Lou now rumoured to want out and other options, he might slip under the radar with a cheap price if everyone is looking at Vancouver.

Vokoun would be a stop gap until the end of next season. 1 year/3 million. If he is willing to take a contract like he did in Washington, I am willing to go with a Garon/Vokoun tandem next season.

Both also give Tik/Janus a couple of more seasons to see if they are NHL ready. Pretty much any long-term goalie we get would knock out any chance they have to become our number one.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Bernier. Great athleticism, same age group as Hed/Stammer, cheap for now.

The Fear Boners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I don't care as long as he's not mediocre right now (so many possibilities... wanted Schneider but not happening )

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Bernier, Harding, Vokoun, Lindback in that order.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

I agree Bernier would be the best option, but he is far from the viable. With Schneider off the market, Lou on the market, Bernier's value just went way up. Especially if Vancouver fans are right and the demands are as ridiculous as Dolly Parton's breasts. I would much rather have Bernier right now, but I don't see getting him unless the Kings want draft picks, and depth roster players. Which we know they probably won't. If they do, I'd be more than happy to send Detroit's First (btw any solid number on what position it is yet?) + towards them.

EDIT: Harding and Vokoun seem easier to get and for the reasons I stated above in the OP are the reasons I chose them. I'm not aiming to turn this into a wish list. I want this to be a more logical thread in where the skills, and likely hood of actually acquiring them is considered. We all would want Bernier but the pry him from the Kings cold dead hands especially with a year on his contract still is highly unlikely.

Last edited by stryfe604: 04-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Ideally Yzerman would like to get a goalie who can grow with the team's young core but also allow the team to be competitive while the current veterans are still able to play. The goalie that might best fit that role is Schnieder. Unfortunately for the bolts, it looks like he is off the market.

Tokarski and Janus both look pretty damn good in the AHL right now, but I don't think anyone would be comfortable with either being our starting goalie next year. Tik wasn't terrible during his time with the bolts this year, in fact I think he did pretty well. The ideal path for either netminder would be to spend at least one full season as a backup in the NHL before being handed the starting job. Even splitting games with Garon would be to much of a gamble.

Bernier is a good young goalie currently stuck behind an excellent young goalie. His numbers look really good, but he also plays on a pretty defensively responsible team. He really hasn't played enough games to show exactly the kind of goalie he is so he could wind up failing without the support he gets from his current team (Like Brygalov did). Not to mention that the signing of a young top flight goalie means that Tik and Janus are basically done as bolts. There are also concerns that L.A. won't trade him (baring massive overpayment) since both him and Quick are on very nice contracts for another year.

Lindback is about the same situation as Bernier. Young goalie, good numbers, good talent, small sample size, plays behind a good defense. He's also a RFA so Nashville can (and probably will) hold onto him.

A goalie with a bit more NHL experience is Harding. He's put up decent numbers and is an UFA at the end of this year, so the Lightning wouldn't even have to trade anything to get him. He's never been a true starter, but he has a backup in Garon that can help keep the load pretty light.

Vokoun might be the best option, he's proven he can put up good numbers even on bad teams and is set to become an UFA. He's getting old though and would probably want to win a cup (probably why he signed with washington for so little money?). I'm sure Lightning players and fans all feel that we are only a couple pieces away from a cup but would Vokoun feel the same way? We might have to throw a good chunk of money at him to convence him to sign. Vokoun also just had a "pretty severe" groin tear, which could be risky since Garon is also recovering from the same injury.

If we are willing to pay Vokoun 3-4mil for a 1 or 2 year deal, why not just go after Thomas (1yr @ 5mil)? He's a 2 time Vezina winner who seems to thrive in big games. The gamble with Thomas is that he's played most of his NHL career behind a pretty good defensive team. Would he have the same success on the Bolts? His cap hit might also be a slight concern, although for only 1 year Yzerman could prob still fit him.

There is of course Luongo. He's been consistently good for a very long time but his contract is very unattractive for a team with Lecavalier, Stamkos, Malone, and St Louis. He certainly makes the Lightning better, but at what cost?

You can group all the players I listed into 2 categories:

Young players with upside:
Tik
Janus
Bernier
Lindback
Harding

Older players who have proven they are good:
Vokoun
Thomas
Luongo

Out of the young guys I'd take Harding as he is easily the most proven and wont require the Lightning to trade anything away to get him.

Out of the old guys I'd take Vokoun based on a combination of cost, short term commitment, not needing to trade assets away, and proven to play well without a good team in front of him.

Conclusion:
Vokoun or Harding

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

My wish is for Harding. Get our #1 in free agency, don't give up any assets in the process, and young enough to still grow with the team in the future.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Ideally Yzerman would like to get a goalie who can grow with the team's young core but also allow the team to be competitive while the current veterans are still able to play. The goalie that might best fit that role is Schnieder. Unfortunately for the bolts, it looks like he is off the market.

Tokarski and Janus both look pretty damn good in the AHL right now, but I don't think anyone would be comfortable with either being our starting goalie next year. Tik wasn't terrible during his time with the bolts this year, in fact I think he did pretty well. The ideal path for either netminder would be to spend at least one full season as a backup in the NHL before being handed the starting job. Even splitting games with Garon would be to much of a gamble.

Bernier is a good young goalie currently stuck behind an excellent young goalie. His numbers look really good, but he also plays on a pretty defensively responsible team. He really hasn't played enough games to show exactly the kind of goalie he is so he could wind up failing without the support he gets from his current team (Like Brygalov did). Not to mention that the signing of a young top flight goalie means that Tik and Janus are basically done as bolts. There are also concerns that L.A. won't trade him (baring massive overpayment) since both him and Quick are on very nice contracts for another year.

Lindback is about the same situation as Bernier. Young goalie, good numbers, good talent, small sample size, plays behind a good defense. He's also a RFA so Nashville can (and probably will) hold onto him.

A goalie with a bit more NHL experience is Harding. He's put up decent numbers and is an UFA at the end of this year, so the Lightning wouldn't even have to trade anything to get him. He's never been a true starter, but he has a backup in Garon that can help keep the load pretty light.

Vokoun might be the best option, he's proven he can put up good numbers even on bad teams and is set to become an UFA. He's getting old though and would probably want to win a cup (probably why he signed with washington for so little money?). I'm sure Lightning players and fans all feel that we are only a couple pieces away from a cup but would Vokoun feel the same way? We might have to throw a good chunk of money at him to convence him to sign. Vokoun also just had a "pretty severe" groin tear, which could be risky since Garon is also recovering from the same injury.

If we are willing to pay Vokoun 3-4mil for a 1 or 2 year deal, why not just go after Thomas (1yr @ 5mil)? He's a 2 time Vezina winner who seems to thrive in big games. The gamble with Thomas is that he's played most of his NHL career behind a pretty good defensive team. Would he have the same success on the Bolts? His cap hit might also be a slight concern, although for only 1 year Yzerman could prob still fit him.

There is of course Luongo. He's been consistently good for a very long time but his contract is very unattractive for a team with Lecavalier, Stamkos, Malone, and St Louis. He certainly makes the Lightning better, but at what cost?

You can group all the players I listed into 2 categories:

Young players with upside:
Tik
Janus
Bernier
Lindback
Harding

Older players who have proven they are good:
Vokoun
Thomas
Luongo

Out of the young guys I'd take Harding as he is easily the most proven and wont require the Lightning to trade anything away to get him.

Out of the old guys I'd take Vokoun based on a combination of cost, short term commitment, not needing to trade assets away, and proven to play well without a good team in front of him.

Conclusion:
Vokoun or Harding
I can't agree with you more. On the matter with Harding, I can't see any team giving him a long-term contract out of the gate. Just doesn't make sense. My 2 years/2.8 to 3.25 a year could be extended to 3 years. It gives him time to prove himself without us taking a huge hit in the pockets (cheaper than Rolie).At that price range even if he busts, he would still be an reasonable priced back-up. The most I could justify for him would be 3.5-3.7 a year. After that 4-5 could probably net us Thomas or Vokoun for a year. I really would not prefer to give up on Tik and Janus either, couple more years at least one of them is ready to shine. Why bury them with a long term #1 now like Lou, or signing Harding 5-6 years+ without seeing how far they develop in a couple of seasons. Never know we might have a Lou/Schneider situation in a couple of seasons.

Old
04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
I can't agree with you more. On the matter with Harding, I can't see any team giving him a long-term contract out of the gate. Just doesn't make sense. My 2 years/2.8 to 3.25 a year could be extended to 3 years. It gives him time to prove himself without us taking a huge hit in the pockets (cheaper than Rolie).At that price range even if he busts, he would still be an reasonable priced back-up. The most I could justify for him would be 3.5-3.7 a year. After that 4-5 could probably net us Thomas or Vokoun for a year. I really would not prefer to give up on Tik and Janus either, couple more years at least one of them is ready to shine. Why bury them with a long term #1 now like Lou, or signing Harding 5-6 years+ without seeing how far they develop in a couple of seasons. Never know we might have a Lou/Schneider situation in a couple of seasons.
Yup, agreed. When it comes down to it, I think Harding is the best option overall.

Some food for thought:
Vokoun's career #'s: 2.55 GAA, save% .917
Luongo's career #'s: 2.52 GAA, save% .919

Both very good, and very close.

It should be noted though that I'm sure Yzerman has a much larger list of criteria than what any of us have. Simply looking at numbers doesn't tell everything about a player. Vokoun and Luongo play very different styles, if Yzerman determines that Luongo's play style is a perfect match for Tampa's system then he might go with Lou.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
chasespace

I would like Harding or Vokoun. Vokoun is my preferred choice only because he is a #1 goalie. Plus he's made his fortune already so he could be had for a slight raise on his current contract.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Not sold on Harding, reminds me too much of Smith, and he's had a lot of injuries

EDIT: Just checked... not as many injuries as I thought

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
tralsal12

Why not try to trade for Bernier and sign Harding?? This way both young goalies can battle for number 1, and you will have a very good back up constantly pushing for number 1??? Would St Louis trade one of their goalies, or other teams with similiar young goalies to fit in this scenario?? In all, create this scenario with two very good, young goalies!!

tralsal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
HoseEmDown

Whatever we do I just hope we don't sign Thomas, we do not need to pay a 40 year old 5mil a year. Everyone saw what happened with Roli playing behind our D a full year. We also need to use our cap space better than over pay for a one year goalie. I don't know what the kings would want for Bernier but if it's too much, I say we get Harding. We should trade the 10th + 37 + 5th for the 7th + Hardings rights. SY seems to be liking Reilly a lot so this moves us up to get him plus we get first shot at negotiating with Harding.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
2 Weekes Notice

In order, in my humble opinion:

1. Bernier - Limited experience, but I really like the tape of him I've watched. Tracks well, good instincts and recovery. Maybe the future of Canadian goaltending along with Price, and it would be nice to lock down the position long-term. Seems to fit the Yzerplan of youth to grow with Stamkos/Hedman (though who knows for sure but the Yzerman)

2. Thomas - Still a top-tier goalie IMO, without the huge Luongo commitment. Maybe a bit short-sighted but I think a division title is easily in play with TT next year. Still, he's one of few goalies out there who has shown the ability to carry a team when needed, and that ability should not be underestimated.

3. Harding - Doubt we go for him as hard as others will though. Just don't think he's a franchise guy. Can make us a playoff team, but I see Garon's hot streak last year as roughly Harding's long-term ceiling. UFA status is encouraging though.

4. Vokoun - Total stop-gap, but can get us to the playoffs as long as he hasn't dropped off much since last year. Puts a lot of faith in Tik or Janus to go this direction (that said, so does the Thomas strategy)

5. Luongo - What's left to say about Luongo that hasn't been said? Good goalie, lousy contract. Would put the organization in a weird flux.

All of this assumes Schneider is off the market, of course. Also don't think Tik or Janus are ready, and I don't see Lindback as being ready to rock either. That said, dark horses (Kipper?) could always appear this time of year, but given what we know, this is my gut feeling.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:12 AM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
In order, in my humble opinion:

1. Bernier - Limited experience, but I really like the tape of him I've watched. Tracks well, good instincts and recovery. Maybe the future of Canadian goaltending along with Price, and it would be nice to lock down the position long-term. Seems to fit the Yzerplan of youth to grow with Stamkos/Hedman (though who knows for sure but the Yzerman)

2. Thomas - Still a top-tier goalie IMO, without the huge Luongo commitment. Maybe a bit short-sighted but I think a division title is easily in play with TT next year. Still, he's one of few goalies out there who has shown the ability to carry a team when needed, and that ability should not be underestimated.

3. Harding - Doubt we go for him as hard as others will though. Just don't think he's a franchise guy. Can make us a playoff team, but I see Garon's hot streak last year as roughly Harding's long-term ceiling. UFA status is encouraging though.

4. Vokoun - Total stop-gap, but can get us to the playoffs as long as he hasn't dropped off much since last year. Puts a lot of faith in Tik or Janus to go this direction (that said, so does the Thomas strategy)

5. Luongo - What's left to say about Luongo that hasn't been said? Good goalie, lousy contract. Would put the organization in a weird flux.

All of this assumes Schneider is off the market, of course. Also don't think Tik or Janus are ready, and I don't see Lindback as being ready to rock either. That said, dark horses (Kipper?) could always appear this time of year, but given what we know, this is my gut feeling.
Every time I see your avatar I think its Carlton Banks.

I proposed Harding on a 2-3 year if he signs. The length is mostly to see if he can pull through. If he can then we got a goalie. If he can't, we haven't signed him too long, and by then Tik or Janus should be ready. If not sooner. One might be the back up in 2 seasons. It will be hard to get Harding to bite on that I'm guessing. All depends on if Lou or Schneider get moved and to who.

Vokoun and Thomas in my eyes are means to the same end. Much rather have Vokoun because he would come cheaper.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:19 AM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralsal12 View Post
Why not try to trade for Bernier and sign Harding?? This way both young goalies can battle for number 1, and you will have a very good back up constantly pushing for number 1??? Would St Louis trade one of their goalies, or other teams with similiar young goalies to fit in this scenario?? In all, create this scenario with two very good, young goalies!!
If Lou ends up being traded instead of Schneider, Bernier's price will go higher than it is now. LA has him signed for another year I think too. There is no rush for LA to move him. To get Bernier will cost a lot, which I think would be counter productive to the Yzerplan. I'm not sure about St.Louis' situation, but I think they have enough wiggle room to keep both and would be happy to keep both.

A situation with two competing young goalies only really happens through good drafting.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

All the goalies.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
I really hope Kiprusoff is available, he's the most proven goalie available IMO.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
I really hope Kiprusoff is available, he's the most proven goalie available IMO.
more proven than Thomas? I don't think so, but Kipper and TT remain the best options available for the right price. They will carry us for 2-3 years then a prospect goalie will take the job

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
HoseEmDown

SY doesn't value goalie's very highly, in Detroit it was the position of least emphasis. Only time they had an elite goalie was Hasak at the twilight of his career. I don't see him overpaying for anyone. Is TT even on the block? If we want a TT or Kipper I think we should go with Garon/Harding my preference and if it's not working trade for one at the deadline if Calgary is out and Rask has passed TT so their value would be lower.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:55 PM
bassassin

Hoping for Khabibulin after all we have won the cup with him before.

But if we can't swing a trade with Edmonton (understandable for such a great keeper), we do have options:

1) John Grahame
2) Marc Denis
3) Johan Holmqvist (if we can get him back from Sweden)
4) Niitty
5) Roloson

All great options, I for one hope we continue to be as lucky on July 1st!

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

You know, I wanted to laugh at that post but I couldn't. Too depressing.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post

But if we can't swing a trade with Edmonton (understandable for such a great keeper), we do have options:

1) John Grahame
2) Marc Denis
4) Niitty
5) Roloson

Maybe if Sean Burke isn't too busy hitting his wife after a bad day we can sign him.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post

1) John Grahame
2) Marc Denis
4) Niitty
5) Roloson

Let's get Weekes back from out of the studio while we're at it. He's younger than Thomas after all...

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:47 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post

Let's get Weekes back from out of the studio while we're at it. He's younger than Thomas after all...
I still can't make out he was serious or like 6 or 7 years too late with his post.